Author Topic: Aurigan Reach  (Read 42853 times)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Re: Aurigan Reach
« Reply #300 on: 23 December 2018, 04:27:16 »
The Argo's computer does not seem to be very known outside the high echelons of the Merc unit, so it might not be of much interest around unless someone talks too much

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
« Reply #301 on: 02 January 2019, 19:35:59 »
so just like previous game elements, it will be tailored to fit into BTU.
God I hope so!

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #302 on: 02 January 2019, 20:22:25 »
Not that you all should necessarily listen to me, but this is my two cents on the House Arano book.

**climbs up on the soapbox**

I have most of the books I would ever want in most formats, as a player for 30 years, that wasn't hard to do. There are a few odds and ends that I pick up either in PDF and occasionally in dead tree.

This I will certainly pay for. I like the story of the realm, if I have soured on the HBS game for it's glaring flaws, the ideas in the story are pretty good. Sure, rather full of heroic story tropes but Battletech is full of them, these are better thought out and developed than most.

I'll pay for this for one overriding reason, it's a product the player base wanted, it's not a rehash or rework of mostly old material, and CGL put some resources to it and put it out in a reasonable amount of time. (Really a year or so development isn't bad at all, I can't think this was in the works much prior to the HBS game coming out, what if the game had bombed? You wouldn't want to develop off of a dud)

So to reward CGL we should buy this. If you like the Succession Wars era at all you should throw some green at this. What will it be? 5 or 10 bucks? Worth it. I can't think it's just going to be junk, heck while I really dislike the Jihad and much of the Dark Ages, a good chunk of those books were pretty good if you like those eras. (The Fanpro stuff, meh, some of that wasn't so hot but there were some reasons for that)

Anyway, as fans, we should all find the pocket lint to buy this product, just to reward the effort and show CGL that this sort of thing is something they should allocate resources to.

**climbs down from stump**

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #303 on: 02 January 2019, 21:27:15 »
i would personally assume that the events of the videogame represent the "hollywood" version of the region and events. so star league cache, fancy super-dropship, massive numbers of mechs? probably not going to exist in the same form in the sourcebook, if at all.

the same way that the BT franchise has handled all the previous mechwarrior/mechcommander/mechassualt videogames, as well as the Battletech cartoon. they are dramatizations loosely based on real events and people in the BT setting, but not accurate representations of the reality.

so speculating about events in the sourcebook based on details of the videogame is a futile effort, because i can guarantee that many of those details will not be the same.

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #304 on: 03 January 2019, 12:36:06 »
i would personally assume that the events of the videogame represent the "hollywood" version of the region and events. so star league cache, fancy super-dropship, massive numbers of mechs? probably not going to exist in the same form in the sourcebook, if at all.

the same way that the BT franchise has handled all the previous mechwarrior/mechcommander/mechassualt videogames, as well as the Battletech cartoon. they are dramatizations loosely based on real events and people in the BT setting, but not accurate representations of the reality.

so speculating about events in the sourcebook based on details of the videogame is a futile effort, because i can guarantee that many of those details will not be the same.

So much this.

Especially when the Devs have in more than a few occasions demonstrated that they 'get' the setting, and would explain why 'game' changes were made in the interest of having a game.

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #305 on: 08 January 2019, 21:32:21 »
So question, what's the big deal with the argo's computer (haven't played the game).

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #306 on: 09 January 2019, 02:31:36 »
trying not to spoiler it too much... but it has a nasty piece of malware on it.

you know the stuff that causes popups and stuff on your computer...

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #307 on: 09 January 2019, 02:36:15 »
And fusion plant meltdowns.

Spoiler ahead. Read at your own peril:
It is SL stuff. Contains SL cartography including SL cache locations and other systems not put in general current Comstar maps (the 5 hidden systems maybe?). It is likely that it is a partial memory core library as well.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #308 on: 09 January 2019, 20:50:50 »
Fairly sure that isn't on the argo's computer but was a hitch-hiker they picked up...

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #309 on: 10 January 2019, 09:11:26 »
Fairly sure that isn't on the argo's computer but was a hitch-hiker they picked up...

Something like that.
The computer virus is SL-era experimental cyberwarfare tech that reacts to the Argo's attempt to force open a SL cache. The Argo isn't actually advanced enough to protect itself but you manage to isolate the program.