Author Topic: Mech of the Week: Spartan SPT-N*  (Read 23519 times)

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
Re: Mech of the Week: Spartan SPT-N*
« Reply #90 on: 16 August 2023, 21:07:26 »
In response to AK and Colt: Scorpion Empire has it currently on the MUL for what it’s worth. I’d imagine the Foxes are the cause. I should have explained that in my post: I highly DOUBT it came from any Dragoon cache: one they’re probably all used at this point or two she had it after Terra but before they went to their new hidden base.

Spartan-C in Scorpion inventory only showed up at the beginning of 32nd century after being extinct since Jihad and it's appearance coincides with Scorpion Empire crash program to rebuild arms industry which included dusting up blueprints for many C and IIC versions and sending them back in production

And it fits with their current environment since that mech was designed specifically for Periphery (they also couldn't be upgrades of older models because it would involve replacing everything except maybe cockpit seat)

So if there are any new Spartans in current era it's most likely that they would be new C builds by the Empire, Sea Foxes would not be the source since they never had them at any point in history (they seem to have been a rarity even in the Homeworlds)

Examples of older Spartans in the Inner Sphere are most likely actual Star League relics or something Dragoons (and/or Snords) brought with them during one of their supply runs

If anyone would want a Spartan in current date their best bet would probably be to ask Sea Foxes to pick up some Cs for them next time Tiburon Khanate stops by the Scorpion Empire

« Last Edit: 16 August 2023, 21:10:33 by Fire Scorpion IIC »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #91 on: 16 August 2023, 23:52:12 »
So if there are any new Spartans in current era it's most likely that they would be new C builds by the Empire, Sea Foxes would not be the source since they never had them at any point in history (they seem to have been a rarity even in the Homeworlds)

Trade . . . it is this thing the Sea Foxes do, which is why we know they kept the Warhawk design in production.

Plus, as I said, the Falcons won Mandrills in the Harvest Wars- which included their material.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Necrosiac

• Private
  • Rime Stoats Forever!
« Reply #92 on: 31 August 2023, 08:38:01 »
It seems to me that the Spartan-C we got in canon is a bit of a missed opportunity.  The first khan of the Ice Hellions, Stephan Cage, canonically commanded the SLDF's 200th Dragoon Regiment during the Amaris Civil War.  Dragoon regiments, in the SLDF's system, were heavy/assault 'mech units...but Cage's command was still somehow "used primarily for reconnaissance..." uh, whiskey-tango-foxtrot, over? 

Well, between the Spartan and Lancelot, it turns out the SLDF had a couple of appropriately-chonky machines that were still able to keep pace (at least on the ground) with the low-end mediums and lights that most other militaries of the time would be using for skirmishing or picket duty.  Given the SLDF's penchant for equipping entire companies or battalions with the same chassis-type, I wouldn't be surprised if these designs made up the bulk of Cage's unit.  At the very least, he almost certainly would have been very familiar with them.

Then, upon his accession to command of the Ice Hellions, the Spartan's high speed and likely-prior association with their khan makes it a great candidate for an Ice Hellion early totem, particularly since the Hellions invented the lighter clan version of MASC, and I don't see any restrictions on clan machines using superchargers as well.  That gets you a respectably-armed and -armored 80-tonner moving 5/8(13) - an ambusher's dream (if unfortunately prone to locking up and falling over)!  Definitely fits the Hellion doctrine of "striking first is more important than actually winning."
"Have gone to Inner Sphere to fight Freebirths. 
Will be back when War is over.
~Jena"

The Blizzard http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,21676.0.html

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Interioris Sphæræ vincendarum...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #93 on: 31 August 2023, 09:33:51 »
Oh, coming back to this . . . yeah, you can fit a Spartan's loadout with Clan weapons on a Gargoyle . . . but have 4t left over, two options I thought of were a cERLL in the non-weapon arm making it better as a Elemental carrier with a ranged weapon.  Other option was a Supercharger & ECM/TAG/BAP choice, but the SC is not available when the Garg goes into production.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #94 on: 31 August 2023, 10:22:24 »
Why not go with the full electronics suite?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #95 on: 31 August 2023, 11:44:17 »
I have wondered why isn't there a Thug configuration for the Gargoyle, now I have to ask why isn't there a Spartan configuration for the Gargoyle.  :laugh:
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #96 on: 31 August 2023, 12:01:58 »
I have wondered why isn't there a Thug configuration for the Gargoyle, now I have to ask why isn't there a Spartan configuration for the Gargoyle.  :laugh:

You get the Thug load-out with Conner's . . . it is just not balanced, so yeah I would love 1 ERPPC in each arm that way you retain the firepower.

But yeah, a real Clan version of the original SLDF Spartan would be good in the 'assault' role, the battery of MPLs and SSRMs to exploit any openings with AMS providing some protection- just like the original.  A real 'close quarters battle' mech without hauling a 20-class autocannon.
Colt Ward

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #97 on: 31 August 2023, 18:57:02 »
(they also couldn't be upgrades of older models because it would involve replacing everything except maybe cockpit seat)

Doesn't stop quite a few other upgrades. I like the theory of SLDF to comstar to WOB to RotS (upgraded by someone sentamental, because ghu knows the RotS wasn't afraid to spend cash on marginal gear) to Dragoons salvage.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 31 August 2023, 19:46:20 »
Doesn't stop quite a few other upgrades. I like the theory of SLDF to comstar to WOB to RotS (upgraded by someone sentamental, because ghu knows the RotS wasn't afraid to spend cash on marginal gear) to Dragoons salvage.
It has clan endosteel, clan XL, clan CASE, clan ferro, clan weapons…the only stuff on it that might not be clan-built are the gyro, cockpit, sensors, and life support.  That’s not an upgrade, that’s a completely new mech.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!