Author Topic: Mech of the Week: Spartan SPT-N*  (Read 23520 times)

Luciora

• Major
Re: Mech of the Week: Spartan SPT-N*
« Reply #60 on: 19 August 2020, 13:44:56 »
I dunno....i kinda like the idea of Spartans getting up close and personal like Chargers.

To be a charger, it just isn't meme enough.
Though that's also my thought for any heavy+, fast mech with decent armour.  ;D

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #61 on: 19 August 2020, 15:33:06 »
Now I'm thinking of a Spartan and Charger tag team. Ether shoot the one with armor and weapons or shoot the one you know is just going to ram into you.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #62 on: 19 August 2020, 18:05:38 »
Are you talking about the 3025 Charger or one of the upgrades?

Because if it's the original, shoot it before it can get in range to do anything.  It doesn't have the armor to take that much punishment and it's got so few crits that it will only take a round or two before they start transferring into the Center Torso.  Or you might get a few leg actuator hits and simply render it a non-entity.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #63 on: 19 August 2020, 18:51:40 »
I was making a joke (a bad one I guess) as the only strategy anyone on the forum has for the Charger CGR-1A1 is using it's speed and size as a battering ram. The Spartan at least has enough armor to contribute to a fight running along side a Champion or a Ostroc. Whatever you can do in a Charger, you can do better in a Dragon exception of demolition derby. 

... and I just realized a Spartan along side a Ostroc, Ostsol, Starslayer and Maelstrom gives you a lance of 5/8 War Potatoes. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #64 on: 19 August 2020, 19:29:14 »
Nice! :thumbsup:

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 20 August 2020, 05:02:27 »
Ah, the mighty potato.
Nourishing, reliable, and of the utmost visual character.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #66 on: 20 August 2020, 05:49:23 »
Ah, the mighty potato.
Nourishing, reliable, and of the utmost visual character.

Ok, now someone needs to paint up a Spartan as a Mr. (or Mrs.) Potato Head.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 16 October 2020, 20:12:30 »
ahhh... the spartan. the star leagues answer to the charger. i never cared this mech like AT ALL. and 2 years ago i took a closer look at it in a boring hour. and suddenly regretted i never played it. i still havent. but it seems like a really good medium wheight scout lance leader and awesome infighter. along with 16 damage kicks. i would like to know how this one ages in the times of heavy gauss, reflective armor and transformers. anybody played it recently in a jihad or later era?

I am curious about this as well and did this get a golden century update? I know it went with on the exodus

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #68 on: 16 October 2020, 21:47:48 »
Yes, there was a Clan upgrade in TRO: Golden Century.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: 17 October 2020, 12:17:39 »

Man I gotta get that book

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: 17 October 2020, 18:56:58 »

You are correct sir and it’s courtesy of one of my new fav clans the Mandrills!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #71 on: 19 October 2020, 09:07:37 »
Scroll up, I already talked about it . . . and yeah, its solid.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #72 on: 19 October 2020, 14:47:20 »

... and I just realized a Spartan along side a Ostroc, Ostsol, Starslayer and Maelstrom gives you a lance Star of 5/8 War Potatoes.

Fixed that for you  ;)

cheers,

Gabe

So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #73 on: 19 October 2020, 22:34:24 »
Also the Flashman...

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #74 on: 22 October 2020, 14:12:53 »
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #75 on: 22 October 2020, 19:45:34 »
During the Golden Century the Fire Mandrills were using refurbished Spartans to a C model- at least until they got Omnis tech.  A large pulse and SSRM4 w/2t ammo in each side toros along with  2 MPL in each arm gives it a fearsome load as it uses its speed to rush into combat.  But when in combat, you cannot just mash the fire button- it only has 14 DHS.  The way it works each side torso has a 1 in 6 chance of going boom! as all the crits that matter are in the upper, the ES & FF are roll again.

I just ordered TRO golden century and my spartan which had been set for my Blood Spirit alpha galaxy will now be painted up in Kindraa Mick - kreese colors. They are an aero focused outfit so I think an SL fast mech would fit right in.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 15 August 2023, 18:16:49 »
You are correct sir and it’s courtesy of one of my new fav clans the Mandrills!

Just got my new plastic spartan in the snord box set and it’s great! It’s going into either my mandrill or spirits

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 15 August 2023, 19:39:47 »
I would note that the Foxes are apparently making them again.  There’s at least one in Wolf’s Dragoons as of Redemption Rites, so it’s at least conceivable that a lot of IlClan Era factions could deploy them, one needn’t limit oneself to a few clans in the Golden Century.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2023, 19:42:52 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: 15 August 2023, 20:48:57 »
I would note that the Foxes are apparently making them again.  There’s at least one in Wolf’s Dragoons as of Redemption Rites, so it’s at least conceivable that a lot of IlClan Era factions could deploy them, one needn’t limit oneself to a few clans in the Golden Century.

Alas I am tragically enamored with several doomed factions ( blood spirits and mandrills) so I tend focus on 3067 or before

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #79 on: 16 August 2023, 09:14:42 »

Really?  TRO Golden Century says that?  I thought it was just the Omnis it said were returned?  If that is the case, come one someone make the Masawuwu.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 16 August 2023, 09:21:12 »
There's one in Wolf's Dragoons. Nothing says how they got it, when they got it, if there are more, or anything else.  They just have one.  There's nothing saying the Sea Foxes sold it to them, or that the Sea Foxes are making them. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #81 on: 16 August 2023, 09:25:46 »
There's one in Wolf's Dragoons. Nothing says how they got it, when they got it, if there are more, or anything else.  They just have one.  There's nothing saying the Sea Foxes sold it to them, or that the Sea Foxes are making them.

Which is what I thought, the providence was never provided.  I figured it was salvage from running into the Falcons, the Dragoons in Redemption Rift got a lot of their material from the Falcons- like dropships!- or for mechs & weapons from Warden Wolf production, like the Pack Hunter and Hellstar.
Colt Ward

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #82 on: 16 August 2023, 09:37:28 »
The new CO of Zeta has it as her command mech/personal ride.

I’ve used the Spartan C in a game or two at this point (yeah new mini!), and it is pretty entertaining: twin Large Pulse and Quad Mediums does ouch. The heat sinks ain’t the best but the only option to change that would be switching out the Streaks for more DHS (not the worst idea but then your a really undergunned Assault Mech). My recommendation is use it like a Clan heavy and not an assault mech. Save the Streaks for big targets at close range or dump the ammo waiting to explode.

As far as availability goes: I’m throwing one in my Blood Spirits Binary. Two Stooping Hawks go with it atm: yes it has an XL engine but I’m using it as a big brother to the smaller mechs.

Finally: don’t forget the Imp in your egg forces. One could argue the Cestus, Champion, Hoplite, Hornet, Lynx, Night Hawk, Ostscout, Pillager, Shogun, UrbanMech, and Stalker to complete your ‘War-Potato’ company (at that point a Trinary).

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #83 on: 16 August 2023, 10:17:03 »
The new CO of Zeta has it as her command mech/personal ride.

I’ve used the Spartan C in a game or two at this point (yeah new mini!), and it is pretty entertaining: twin Large Pulse and Quad Mediums does ouch. The heat sinks ain’t the best but the only option to change that would be switching out the Streaks for more DHS (not the worst idea but then your a really undergunned Assault Mech). My recommendation is use it like a Clan heavy and not an assault mech. Save the Streaks for big targets at close range or dump the ammo waiting to explode.

But as nckestrel says, the book does not explain how she has it and she had it before when she was in a Striker battalion.

While the Wolves built the Woodsman and later Timber Wolf & Gargoyle off the old SL Excalibur, I always figured the Spartan played a role in the development of the Gargoyle when you compare looks and performance.  Not getting a Spartan-esque Gargoyle has been a disappointment . . . but I never sat down a HMP or MML to make one.  I DID make a 'update' of the Spartan for a star in Tau Galaxy going into the Refusal War, mostly b/c I wanted to play with a old SL design as a one off given prototype weapons and then mothballed into the Golden Century when full Clan tech started being produced.  Enhanced SL ERPPC, some Prototype SSRMs, etc gave it a different feel for a secondline star where the Invasion Wolves built a new galaxy by emptying the caches and buying stuff from other Clans like the Clint IIC.
Colt Ward

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #84 on: 16 August 2023, 10:54:53 »
I was a little sad not to get an ilClan era variant to go with the new sculpt. The existing variants are good, but it'd have been nice to see something newer in the IS that wasn't an extinct C3i bot or the C variant of questionable availability.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #85 on: 16 August 2023, 11:12:47 »
It is not in production . . . someone would have to decide to produce a niche assault due to it being a 'fat' heavy- it is assault role rather than the typical of the weight.

I mean, I am a Wolf . . . we use Gargoyles, so yeah let's roll with it.  But most people want a Steiner build when they reach for a assault mech.
Colt Ward

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 16 August 2023, 13:25:00 »
Fair enough, I seem to have assumed facts not in evidence.  TRO Golden Century does, however, say this:

The last known sighting of a Spartan C occurred in 3067 in the Clan Homeworlds; it is unknown if any are still in service, as none were ever brought to the Inner Sphere.

Now, it's possible that RotS Intel somehow missed that there was one in the Dragoons, or perhaps the Dragoons made another supply run just after TRO GC was compiled.  But to me "Foxes making new ones" is the Occam's Razor explanation.  Maybe they only just started after TRO GC was finished.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 16 August 2023, 13:36:25 »
In response to AK and Colt: Scorpion Empire has it currently on the MUL for what it’s worth. I’d imagine the Foxes are the cause. I should have explained that in my post: I highly DOUBT it came from any Dragoon cache: one they’re probably all used at this point or two she had it after Terra but before they went to their new hidden base.

Personally it goes well with a Gargoyle I’d think (and other similar mechs) as fat heavies to run with your typical Clan 5/8 heavies with just a ‘bit’ more.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #88 on: 16 August 2023, 13:42:33 »
In response to AK and Colt: Scorpion Empire has it currently on the MUL for what it’s worth. I’d imagine the Foxes are the cause. I should have explained that in my post: I highly DOUBT it came from any Dragoon cache: one they’re probably all used at this point or two she had it after Terra but before they went to their new hidden base.

Personally it goes well with a Gargoyle I’d think (and other similar mechs) as fat heavies to run with your typical Clan 5/8 heavies with just a ‘bit’ more.

It was not introduced as her new mech in the New Olympia battle while part of the Striker in command of the company, so it was likely her mech before while operating with the Dracs.  I will give you buying off the Foxes is more likely with that GC quote than getting it off the Falcons . . . but with the Falcons taking Mandrill warriors as part of the Harvest Trials and put in garrison clusters due to their nature it is possible the mech would have been out on the Falcon periphery border 'unseen' by the Republic intel ops.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #89 on: 16 August 2023, 14:58:18 »
The Dragoons themselves could have taken a badly-damaged Spartan and rebuilt it as a C model, too.