Author Topic: Tell me about :Sabre vs. Centurion  (Read 2267 times)

PeacMaker03

• Corporal
Tell me about :Sabre vs. Centurion
« on: 16 April 2018, 13:45:36 »
     Which is the better choice? Which is the better choice in later eras for a militia unit who has little chance to upgrade the bird?
     In-universe, are they worth the money for a lance, with Militia(green) pilots? or is it a case of better bring a few squadrons of quantity brings a quality all its own?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Tell me about :Sabre vs. Centurion
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2018, 15:53:14 »
They're close.  The big picture answer is probably "Mox Nix".

They've got identical armaments and similar thrust with the Sabre barely edging out the Centurion.  OTOH the Centurion has much better armor, and probably makes it a win from a pure statline vs statline comparison.

However in-universe there's significant availability advantages in the Sabre over the Centurion: the former is manufactured across the Inner Sphere and the latter is (except for battle salvage) pretty much confined to one House and can be rare even there.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2018, 07:34:06 »
The Sabre might be the most widespread ASF of them all and is a fine interceptor, it's just not as tough as the Centurion is.

For a militia in the LC, I'd pick the Centurion - it's in production at Lockheed for a long time, so they've got parts - but the Sabre is a defensible choice even there.  Anywhere else other than maybe the Suns (who might have stockpiles they can get at), I'd look at the Sabre first for the parts supply.  A bird you can't fly is one that's useless for defense or training purposes.

I personally think the Sabre slightly edges the Centurion in the looks department but that's purely aesthetics.  If you're able to entertain the thoughts of Lostech upgrades with XLFEs, there's a couple of impressive Royal Sabres out there, while the Centurion's upgrades are far more limited.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2018, 16:03:36 »
Another thing to consider is that the Centurion can lift six slots of bombs compared to the Sabre's five. Which, if they're available, would allow it to carry an extra light air to air missile over the sabre, or a single anti-ship missile.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2018, 15:32:24 »
There's this weirdness with the Sabre as well:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=23464