Author Topic: Gun Geekery VI: The grandson of Gun Geekery  (Read 182102 times)

RebelRunner

• Warrant Officer
  • RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!
Re: Gun Geekery VI: The grandson of Gun Geekery
« Reply #30 on: 25 January 2014, 18:40:20 »
.55 Boys Anti-Tank Rifle or failing that, one of those 25mm XM109 anti-material rifles. Never will happen but I can wish can't I?

You can get both with a simple tax stamp. Chances are, there are some Boys rifles floating around on the antique firearms market.
*God Bless Regulus.
*A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
* "Want someone out of a building for sure? Fire a magnesium parachute flare through the window. He’ll leave."

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #31 on: 25 January 2014, 21:11:28 »
Open fire!

Okay, I'll start off with a question.  If there was one gun that you could own, something you would buy when you win the lottery, what would it be?  Name your heart's deepest desire.

Ohio ordnance works M1918A3 BAR, with a ton of Magazines...pinned of course, because I live in Canada :'(
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 25 January 2014, 23:01:18 »
.55 Boys Anti-Tank Rifle or failing that, one of those 25mm XM109 anti-material rifles. Never will happen but I can wish can't I?

I know two people who have Boys and one comes up for sale every couple of years so you would have a chance with that one.  The XM109 is another matter.  There are none on the civilian market and not only does the rifle require a stamp but every round ammo would also require a DD stamp (even the non-bang TP rounds) - not that you could find ammo.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #33 on: 25 January 2014, 23:31:52 »
Boys are available up here. Same problem as with the XM109, PTRD, PTRS, or a Lahti L-39 though: You're going to have to machine your own brass and projectiles, then modify the case to work with .50 BMG primers (about the largest that you can actually obtain). I think some of the Boys owners up here have had them re-barelled for .50 BMG

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 26 January 2014, 00:07:46 »
Just saw one of my old Favs on gunbroker.  H&K P7, currently $2300.  So yeah that is definitely lotto win money for a 9mm.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #35 on: 26 January 2014, 13:52:32 »
Anybody know anything about Thermold Magazines? The ones from the Carolina's, not the Canadian ones.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #36 on: 26 January 2014, 15:55:38 »
Thompson Submachine Gun, hands down. Not sure what hoops I would have to jump through to get it, but if I had the money...

I train at the Alaska Public Safety (aka State Trooper) Academy and when I return for my next training phase in September, I'll get to burn through a few magazines in a Tommy.

-Jackmc

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #37 on: 26 January 2014, 22:25:59 »
M2 Carbine. Yep, shooting that that odd little .30 Carbine round, but selective fire.  ;D
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

RebelRunner

• Warrant Officer
  • RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!
« Reply #38 on: 27 January 2014, 08:56:03 »
Ohio ordnance works M1918A3 BAR, with a ton of Magazines...pinned of course, because I live in Canada :'(

I've seen that one- that rifle is beautiful. I really would not mind owning one; I'd think of it almost as an alternate SCAR-H without the horrifying massive reciprocating charging handle.

If it weren't for that bug/feature, and the crazy price ($3000? I can buy a quality AR with aftermarket enhancements and outstanding optics for that- this is a bare-bones rifle here!!), I'd go with the SCAR-17S as a battle rifle. Because of those issues, I'm looking harder at AR-10-type or possible M1A style rifles. Ya'all are lucky in Canada- you get Norinco M14s for next to nothing!!  >:( 8)

Question- does the five-round limit for non-Restricted firearms include belt feeds?
*God Bless Regulus.
*A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
* "Want someone out of a building for sure? Fire a magnesium parachute flare through the window. He’ll leave."

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #39 on: 27 January 2014, 09:43:32 »
I've seen that one- that rifle is beautiful. I really would not mind owning one; I'd think of it almost as an alternate SCAR-H without the horrifying massive reciprocating charging handle.

If it weren't for that bug/feature, and the crazy price ($3000? I can buy a quality AR with aftermarket enhancements and outstanding optics for that- this is a bare-bones rifle here!!), I'd go with the SCAR-17S as a battle rifle. Because of those issues, I'm looking harder at AR-10-type or possible M1A style rifles. Ya'all are lucky in Canada- you get Norinco M14s for next to nothing!!  >:( 8)

Question- does the five-round limit for non-Restricted firearms include belt feeds?

Depends on the belt. It's a bit of an obscure rules. I can't remember if it's the specific belts or just the belt designs that are post-WW2 (I think post-1950 actually), then yes, 5 round rule applies (not that you can really find semi-auto belt-feds from that period anyway). Semi-auto MG34s, M2s, M1919s can get full length belts if your wallet allows.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #40 on: 27 January 2014, 11:31:30 »
My latest shooting competition fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q32YjLQaHto

Came in 47/70, not too shabby. The horrific stage 2 cost me probably 5-10 places. I hate weak hand shooting :D

RebelRunner

• Warrant Officer
  • RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!
« Reply #41 on: 27 January 2014, 19:51:42 »
Depends on the belt. It's a bit of an obscure rules. I can't remember if it's the specific belts or just the belt designs that are post-WW2 (I think post-1950 actually), then yes, 5 round rule applies (not that you can really find semi-auto belt-feds from that period anyway). Semi-auto MG34s, M2s, M1919s can get full length belts if your wallet allows.

If memory serves, Ohio Ordnance Works produces a semiautomatic M2HB copy in addition to that BAR you have your eye on. If I had a bit more disposable income, I'd be tempted to buy one, set it up with a steel gunshield, and mount the thing in the bed of my truck, get a couple of buddies with AKs, dress in assorted battledress and be the Free Syrian Army Reenactment Society  :D :D
*God Bless Regulus.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 27 January 2014, 20:43:49 »
If memory serves, Ohio Ordnance Works produces a semiautomatic M2HB copy in addition to that BAR you have your eye on. If I had a bit more disposable income, I'd be tempted to buy one, set it up with a steel gunshield, and mount the thing in the bed of my truck, get a couple of buddies with AKs, dress in assorted battledress and be the Free Syrian Army Reenactment Society  :D :D
3rd Moonshine Cavalry!  (Hey, with a handle like RebelRunner)
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 27 January 2014, 22:41:33 »

Plenty of reenactment groups out there, don't see a reason one like that wouldnt catch on.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #44 on: 28 January 2014, 21:21:49 »
Do you think Games Workshop ever wishes they'd patented the storm bolter?

http://www.gilboa-rifle.com/Gilboa-Firearms/Snake/

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #45 on: 28 January 2014, 21:26:52 »
Ooh I like that and it even comes chambered for 7.62 Russian.
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #46 on: 28 January 2014, 21:36:13 »
Looking at Gilboa's website, the Snake is some elaborate joke, right? I mean, they go through all the marketing-speak with a straight face and then they...

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 28 January 2014, 21:53:44 »
Seriously?

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 29 January 2014, 00:22:05 »
double barrel
double facepalm
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #49 on: 29 January 2014, 01:41:35 »
Hey, it worked for AA guns and shotguns. Speaking of...

Shoot first, laugh later.

Teppudama

• Private
  • Pantheon Armaments
« Reply #50 on: 29 January 2014, 02:01:28 »
After having carried one for 6 years, I have always had a soft spot for the M60.  Something else I have always wanted is a Remington Model 51; I know it is just a .380 or .32 (they made it in both chamberings), but I have always liked the look of it.  Granted, they just revived it in the R51, and even made it a 9mm, so I may end up with one of those as well in the next couple years, but the Model 51 has always been a favorite.  In the meantime, I do collect old pocket guns, from revolvers to autos, .22 to .380, they have always fascinated me.  I especially like the old H&R and Ivers and Johnson break top revolvers from the turn of the last century.
Crimson Ace Dragoons
Pantheon Armaments

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 29 January 2014, 03:49:57 »
Looking at Gilboa's website, the Snake is some elaborate joke, right? I mean, they go through all the marketing-speak with a straight face and then they...
Dead serious, sadly.  I've seen some amazing things come out of Israeli weapons development, and this is one of them - just not for the reasons all the other things amazed us.

Yes, it's something like 90% of the mass of two shorty M-16s put together because IS 90% of two shorty M-16s put together.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

maxcarrion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #52 on: 29 January 2014, 04:11:32 »
Probably have to go for something like an M2HB, and a Hilux to mount it on - I'd have to move countries, but that's not really a problem :p

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #53 on: 29 January 2014, 09:46:54 »
Probably have to go for something like an M2HB, and a Hilux to mount it on - I'd have to move countries, but that's not really a problem :p

Give me a fulcrum and a lever long enough and I'll move the world. -Archimedes

All I need is a little semtek. Wolfboy
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #54 on: 29 January 2014, 09:53:17 »
Dead serious, sadly.  I've seen some amazing things come out of Israeli weapons development, and this is one of them - just not for the reasons all the other things amazed us.

Yes, it's something like 90% of the mass of two shorty M-16s put together because IS 90% of two shorty M-16s put together.

But if they were serious, why would their promotional pictures have twin flashlights in one shot and twin lasers in the other?  ???

RebelRunner

• Warrant Officer
  • RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!
« Reply #55 on: 29 January 2014, 10:16:52 »
I'm really not sure what I just saw. This has to be someone's idea of a joke?? Most everything else they offer appears to be sensible M4 carbine derivatives.
*God Bless Regulus.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 29 January 2014, 10:54:07 »
Its something that someone, somewhere will buy. No matter how odd it looks, someone will pay for it just to have it in there collection. Sort of the same reason I bought the Omega Superheavy Mech. I'll never use it, but its part of the collection...

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 29 January 2014, 14:14:15 »
the two barrel idea doesn't bother me. it's the double laser sights (a single, either above or below but right between both barrels would be fine) Swapping magazines might be a bit of a pain as well, but hey, it's not a combat rifle and in close quarters I can see it being even a good idea, but those last two pictures make my brain hurt
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

RebelRunner

• Warrant Officer
  • RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!
« Reply #58 on: 29 January 2014, 14:57:31 »
If you want a bit of round dispersal, go with a shotgun. You'll get a basketball-sized spread, but the wounds are still horrific. If you want improved armor penetration, go with a two-round rapid burst function like I believe the AN-94 has. Sticking two M4s together is...questionable. I can't see the weight being worth the marginally improved lethality.
*God Bless Regulus.

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #59 on: 29 January 2014, 18:29:43 »
After having carried one for 6 years, I have always had a soft spot for the M60.  Something else I have always wanted is a Remington Model 51; I know it is just a .380 or .32 (they made it in both chamberings), but I have always liked the look of it.  Granted, they just revived it in the R51, and even made it a 9mm, so I may end up with one of those as well in the next couple years, but the Model 51 has always been a favorite.  In the meantime, I do collect old pocket guns, from revolvers to autos, .22 to .380, they have always fascinated me.  I especially like the old H&R and Ivers and Johnson break top revolvers from the turn of the last century.

Many years ago I read a sort of review of the model 51, written by an old-timer cop who carried one as a backup/off-duty piece for a few decades.  Dude really sang the praises of it for being easy to operate, reliable, and being a natural point & shoot instinctive aim sort of gun. He compared it pretty favorably to more contemporary designs (for the 90's) like the Bersa Thunder.
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

Register