Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition  (Read 163423 times)

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
Re: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition
« Reply #180 on: 15 July 2018, 20:05:30 »
Wow, that was some horrible subbing.  Couldn't tell who was saying what when two are talking at the same time and it often didn't keep it all on the screen long enough for me to read it.

Yeah, stream subs have gotten really awful of late it seems. Could it hurt them to set song lyrics in a different color/font than the dialogue & maybe not place it directly over people's face?

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #181 on: 15 July 2018, 22:57:52 »
While the isekai (summon from another world genre) is getting too much play. I still find Demon King amusing since i did read the manga.  Not sure how far they will get with this. This sort of Konosuba but its on different method.  Why it's harem type, the main character has to fake he's being cool where he in real life is a NEET type guy.  He indeed more powerful.  The humor blended with the story unfolding.  It's fan-service vehicle for sure, but it's funny at least to me if you try ignore some excessive stuff and slave thing.  :-\
If I were to choose one from manga or anime, which one do you recommend? Also does the NEET demon king ever kiss a girl?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #182 on: 15 July 2018, 23:22:12 »
The first episode was a little flat to me, though the second episode was much better. Still don't see it being better than Overlord or KONOSUBA. Time will tell.

Oh well... still have 900 more episodes of One Piece to go anyway. Tuesday can't come fast enough.

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #183 on: 16 July 2018, 17:03:01 »
Ōkami to Kōshinryō (Spice and Wolf) VR Anime due 2019 (Japanese)

"Independent development circle Spicy Tails announced on Monday that it is developing a virtual reality anime based on Isuna Hasekura's Spice & Wolf novels. Hasekura is writing a new scenario for the anime. It will have English subtitles. The television anime's voice actors Ami Koshimizu (Holo) and Jun Fukuyama (Kraft Lawrence) are returning. Yō Shimizu provided the concept art above and Masatoshi Sekai designed the logo."

English Announcement

Not saying no to more Spice and Wolf.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2018, 17:10:31 by Dies Irae »

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #184 on: 16 July 2018, 20:52:54 »
Ōkami to Kōshinryō (Spice and Wolf) VR Anime due 2019 (Japanese)

"Independent development circle Spicy Tails announced on Monday that it is developing a virtual reality anime based on Isuna Hasekura's Spice & Wolf novels. Hasekura is writing a new scenario for the anime. It will have English subtitles. The television anime's voice actors Ami Koshimizu (Holo) and Jun Fukuyama (Kraft Lawrence) are returning. Yō Shimizu provided the concept art above and Masatoshi Sekai designed the logo."

English Announcement

Not saying no to more Spice and Wolf.

I am VERY interested in this!
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #185 on: 16 July 2018, 21:59:03 »
If I were to choose one from manga or anime, which one do you recommend? Also does the NEET demon king ever kiss a girl?
Manga

Anime fine so far, but depth manga gives you will not disappointed.

So if you watched anime first, you won't be disappointed by reading the manga.  ;D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #186 on: 17 July 2018, 10:55:13 »
Two episodes in on Hataraku Saibou, I can say with some certainty that 'Osmosis Jojones' is a very tight adaptation of the manga and overall fantastic. The show maintains some fair quality on action scenes and is littered with little background scenes that are rooted in actual biological fact, and somehow manages to be simultaneously educational and entertaining. It also has the most adorable interpretation of platelets I've ever seen.
For some extra fun...
An doctor's been commenting on the ep, and is going to be making this an ongoing thing.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #187 on: 21 July 2018, 22:08:53 »
I just finished watching episode 12 of FMP! IV and I have to say...

WTF?  WTF!?  WTF!!!

:ticked:

We waited how many years for another season of FMP! and this is the last epidode???

Someone please tell me they are already working on another season?  Please?  :'(
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #188 on: 21 July 2018, 22:20:55 »
Really enjoying the current season of Overlord. But when i readed that there is an anime of Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu.....the manga was awful, and the little i saw of the anime is even worse.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #189 on: 21 July 2018, 22:28:25 »

WTF?  WTF!?  WTF!!!

We waited how many years for another season of FMP! and this is the last epidode???

Someone please tell me they are already working on another season?  Please?  :'(

Always gonna be a cliff-hangar. This section of the novels (and the manga adaptions and the anime adaptions based on those) is pretty fast and furious with the action and thus pretty much ends up on a cliff-hangar.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #190 on: 21 July 2018, 23:33:28 »

WTF?  WTF!?  WTF!!!

Just finished that myself and I Agree.  There better damn well be another season coming in the near future...

That said i really liked the little touch at the end, where the final credits song was the intro from the first season of FMP.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #191 on: 22 July 2018, 07:50:58 »
Always gonna be a cliff-hangar. This section of the novels (and the manga adaptions and the anime adaptions based on those) is pretty fast and furious with the action and thus pretty much ends up on a cliff-hangar.
I can live with a cliff hanger, as long as there's another season coming, and not ten or eleven years from now. 

That said i really liked the little touch at the end, where the final credits song was the intro from the first season of FMP.
That was a very cool reference to the original season.

I was also thinking at the end, this was really a bit different than previous seasons of FMP!  Even if we ignore FUMOFU, the series up to now has been something of a balance of comedy and action.  This season was really pretty relentlessly dark from beginning to end.  Not that FMP! hasn't done dark before (the scene in The Second Raid where Sousuke killed Gauron in cold blood when he thought Gauron murdered Kanami) but it never seemed as overall dark before.

Still I really enjoyed Invisible Victory and I really do hope we see another season before too long!
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #192 on: 25 July 2018, 11:16:38 »
Netlix in the USA has recently posted the 2nd animatd Godzilla movie. It is called Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #193 on: 25 July 2018, 11:37:02 »
Yeah, watched it last week.  Wasn't all that impressed.

Every time I see something with characters talking about evolution on an individual level, I want to track the writers down and beat them unconscious with a college biology textbook.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #194 on: 26 July 2018, 09:21:25 »
It's based on a franchise involving a 100 meter tall mutant dinosaur powered by atomic radiation...and it's the junk science on evolution that bugs you? That's not even getting into the giant moth with mystical properties tied into the spirit of the Earth, or the two headed space dragon that shoots lightning.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #195 on: 26 July 2018, 09:49:46 »
I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for giant monsters because giant monsters are fun and necessary for the plot.

But I'm really sick of evolution being portrayed as if it works like Pokemon, something that is absolutely not plot relevant here.  And given how poorly the general public understands evolution, depictions like this actually reinforce misconceptions about evolution.

It's annoying and it doesn't add anything to the movie.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #196 on: 28 July 2018, 16:40:28 »
Attack on Titan's author Isayama Hajime recently updated his blog and has revealed that there are going to be some changes made to the story in season 3 when compared to the manga. He admits that he wasn't exactly in great shape when he was writing volumes 13-16 so he explicitly expressed that he wanted the team to improve the plot in season 3. Which means manga readers are about to get a new and improved version of the story and anime only watchers should be even more hyped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q-amq_oXwA
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #197 on: 29 July 2018, 22:05:14 »
Ok. High Score Girl is great.
For what I expected was a 30 minute arcade advertisement masquerading as an anime nostalgia-trip, I was entirely unprepared for that emotional sucker punch.

Then I went and rewatched the OP and realised they telegraphed it entirely without context.

Also, it's a romance. I didn't see that coming.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2018, 23:14:57 by Dies Irae »

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #198 on: 09 August 2018, 02:17:39 »

Recently had the chance to watch Wolf Children.  I can see now why it is recommended so highly and so often.

One of the things I felt that was very interesting about the film (for an animated film) is how Hosoda chose to hang on into some scenes a little longer than would have been typical even in an anime film.  Where another director might have cut a scene, Hosoda would linger on it or show more that was just strictly necessary to cover just the story or plot element at the moment.  It really made the story much more immersive and grounded to me.

I did of course make a really inappropriate joke during the scene when Hana and the unnamed wolf-man "get together" that earned me a whack from my wife...

"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #199 on: 09 August 2018, 16:57:05 »
I was also thinking at the end, this was really a bit different than previous seasons of FMP!  Even if we ignore FUMOFU, the series up to now has been something of a balance of comedy and action.  This season was really pretty relentlessly dark from beginning to end.  Not that FMP! hasn't done dark before (the scene in The Second Raid where Sousuke killed Gauron in cold blood when he thought Gauron murdered Kanami) but it never seemed as overall dark before.
You think THIS season is dark? It gets darker. There is no more screwball stuff. That was just a trick to make you love the characters and flinch every time one of them gets kicked in the balls. It is just a spiral downward into the secrets of the Whispered and the horrible heart that beats at the center of their reality.

Fortunately, it seems like they covered three LNs in this last season, so the next season should take us all the way to the end as there's only three more in the main series...

...Which I'm sure is scheduled to come out in 2024.  >:D

So far this season I'm in the same boats as most of you - Overlord III, Cells at Work, and High Score Girl. I binged the Overlord novels last month so it's still fresh on my mind to see the differences in presentation.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #200 on: 10 August 2018, 23:48:03 »
Voltron Season 7's out on Netflix.  Given the events of last season, I'm very interested to see what this one's arc is going to be about.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #201 on: 11 August 2018, 06:32:20 »
How is it so far? Haven't watched any episodes since the end of season 2.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #202 on: 11 August 2018, 10:06:41 »
I love it.  It's really got good momentum and season arcs.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #203 on: 11 August 2018, 15:39:13 »
I love it.  It's really got good momentum and season arcs.

Have they released past season 2 on DVD? I picked the first two seasons as a set from WalMart, but haven't seen any others...

In other news, I've purchased, but haven't yet watched, the Starblazers 2199 part 1 set...trying to get through two used sets of Dark Shadows first, as need to know by no more than 4 days from now if I needed to take them back...and at 40 half hour episodes per set, it takes a while to go through those...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #204 on: 11 August 2018, 16:05:41 »
Checking Amazon doesn't show any disc releases beyond season two.

Given that the series is a Netflix Original, I don't think they've got much incentive to put it out on disc.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #205 on: 12 August 2018, 07:04:06 »
Checking Amazon doesn't show any disc releases beyond season two.

Thanks.

Given that the series is a Netflix Original, I don't think they've got much incentive to put it out on disc.

Other than to cash into the market of those that would like to see the series, but don't do Netflix or other streaming services...

Of course, I'm probably in the minority in that regard any more...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #206 on: 17 August 2018, 13:02:59 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4e2znCzQ3k

Mobile Suit Gundam NT trailer.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #208 on: 17 August 2018, 16:21:14 »
U.C. 0097, one year after the opening of "Laplace's Box."

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #209 on: 17 August 2018, 16:43:07 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4e2znCzQ3k

Mobile Suit Gundam NT trailer.

Very excited for new UC as always! Japanese twitter has been making memes about the somewhat comical new key art for the past couple of days:

Register