Poll

What scale of conflicts do you enjoy most in the BattleTech universe?

low level raids and attacks. Lances and companies mainly. (3rd Succession War, early MWDA)
66 (24.6%)
smaller scale conflicts. Battalions and Regiments scale mostly. (Ronin War, MoC-Andurien war on Liao, Operation Guerrero)
71 (26.5%)
Fullscale Wars between nations. Regiments and multi-regimental actions, war of conquest (War of 3039, 4th Succession War, Operation Revival)
89 (33.2%)
Total Warfare. No holds barred. (Age of War pre-Ares convention, 1st + 2nd Succession Wars, Jihad)
38 (14.2%)
Other option - please elaborate below
4 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Voting closed: 09 August 2012, 15:42:09

Author Topic: Level of conflict in the BattleTech universe (fluff)  (Read 19230 times)

Freefall357

• Sergeant
  • NovaCommander
Re: Level of conflict in the BattleTech universe (fluff)
« Reply #30 on: 14 July 2012, 16:52:10 »
I love massive scale warfare.
Having lead some wars of note in EvE Online [computer game], I can say that the strategic level warfare is fantastic and fits my mind.
That said, CBT is not an easy to manage self contained computer game.  I find that anything beyond a binary vs a company is tedious.  Add in off-board support, aircraft, infantry and it grinds to a halt.  MegaMek hips a ton in this regard (I would FKING LOVE to see a non-java [grumblegrumblejavagrumble] version).  The downside being that MegaMek is not all that stable on all of the computers my gaming group uses and using one comp for it is meh.  Hell, as of last month JAVA just doesnt work on this computer anymore...at all. [uninstalled, deleted registry stuff, fresh install, no joy]
Outside of the battlefield my group does not have interest in a political RPG or even a detailed mission-based RPG...so, factory strikes and what not tend to be out if it is any more than objective based shooter-style.

So:
PnP or tabletop CBT is ATOW characters using about company sized units with little non-mech support (an arty or some fighters and elementals) using lvl2 rules for the most part.
MegaMek battles tend to be a Nova Trinary or Battalion of mixed forces using lvl3 rules.
My favorite in either case is my Nova Star [5mechs 5elemental points] vs one of my buddies' reenforced lances w/support [usually a mixed lance with some arty and fighter support, or choppers and infantry...or just two lances with light support]...The only other clanner is an 'ally' lol.
Ghostbear (pre-jihad mostly), 357th Cave Bears ... free hugs for Snow Ravens.
CapCon when playing dirty Innersphere. (Seems I may be looking into FRR...been away a while).

mechgregor

• Corporal
« Reply #31 on: 14 July 2012, 18:41:29 »
Total and full-scale warfare

Paint it Pink

• Warrant Officer
  • Pink Panther Battalion: The Gritty Kitty's
    • Paint it Pink
« Reply #32 on: 15 July 2012, 03:22:06 »
I would just like to add that when I read real accounts of wars I tend to read first hand narratives of events. When I want to know about the whole war I tend to read history books that may have some first hand accounts quoted, but generally they are an overview redacted from all of the accounts that the writer has researched.

The former is enjoyment from the vicarious involvement in the story being told. The later is a different kind of enjoyment that comes from understanding the events.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2012, 01:58:35 by Paint it Pink »
The unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

Fobok

« Reply #33 on: 16 July 2012, 07:34:43 »
I answered as to the state I like to see the whole universe, the regimental or total war options. It's easy, in that kind of environment to zoom in and tell an individual story. Even in the vast real war that was World War 2, there was stories of individual heroism.

Kathil Uhlans

• Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 16 July 2012, 18:43:58 »
I prefer the large scale, nation-on-nation battles, although I like the ones with more fluid fronts, where a Regiment or an RCT can maneuver strategically within its assigned area, and still make a difference, like the various regional campaigns of the Fed-Com Civil War or the Jihad (looking only at conventional troop movements, not collateral damage), as opposed to steamroller assaults like Rat and Revival.

But please include unit deployment (and maneuver) tables with at least the Size/Experience/Loyalty and Tech Ratings, and the combat actions, of each unit for the campaign.  Those are really helpful.  Maybe warships too, if they are relevant.
All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, Cowerer of Dainmar Liao, Creator of the Model Army, Rescuer of Robinson, Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team!  May her light ever guide the Sons of the Suns, May their Daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

I deeply respect what the many beliefs have brought mankind over the millenia, but I often feel that major religions are a bit like flowers in a bed of manure: the stench from all the evil acts committed in their name tends to overpower the good that comes from them. - Lucian Davion

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #35 on: 22 July 2012, 01:42:29 »
I came in on the curtails on Op Revival, and that is the style I like. Large scale wars/battles where my unit is just a smaller part of the overall events.  My Company/Trinary is not going to conquer a planet, but we can be the force that keeps the left flank from collapsing, thus saving the HQ from being overrun and allowing my side to win the battle.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #36 on: 22 July 2012, 16:30:05 »
I loved Brush Fire Wars and the War of 3039 historicals. So medium-small scale wars to medium-large scale wars. The massive long story arc wars... like the 4th Succession, FedCom Civil War and Jihad are okay. Small unit actions like raids and such are okay too but I rather detest the hero's journey and coming of age stories small units and their actions endear.

HavocTheWarDog

• Captain
  • Lead or Follow, but get outa my way!
« Reply #37 on: 24 July 2012, 08:11:40 »
I enjoy reading about the small scale conflicts for the details about characters, new mechs and their fluff.   However, I do enjoy everything getting Fubar'd in total destruction, for the stories of rebuilding shattered nations and large units(in essence remake the BT universe at large...change is good!) and the cornicopia of possible BIG STOMPY ROBOT conflicts that go with that.
"Veni Vidi Vici"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #38 on: 08 August 2012, 10:42:28 »
I will admit I am a bit conflicted on this one.  On the one hand when it comes time to put down the map sheets I certainly prefer the smaller scale conflicts of lance to roughly company scale fights but I prefer reading about the big fights between armies.

So there is my not entirely helpful vote.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #39 on: 08 August 2012, 11:45:26 »
So the question is what kind of conflict we'd like read in fluff or play?

I like full-on wars against nations.

I'm old school too (at no#2) small conflicts with Companies/Battalion size conflicts doing the traditional raids.  Which I think where Battletech excels tabletop wise.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #40 on: 10 August 2012, 06:10:58 »
Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote in the poll. :)

With regards,
Øystein
Strategic Assistant

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 16 August 2012, 09:45:53 »

Sure, there's something about the 3025 era where things are rare, but at the same time I don't care to be forced to play in that mode beyond that era. I like the idea of the factions having a serious military, not a whole lance defending a moderately important planet, exageration sure..but not by much.

What I liked was the post 3050 era where they had warships that were active, warships coming online. More mechs being pumped out, more designs with better gear. In addition to that having bigger and better vehicles and fighters. A world should not hinge upon the success of a single mech and I don't care who is in it, it should not come down to that unless all you have is a banjo playing old timer sitting on his front porch watching the space corn grow while his old dog waits for the end of that dreadful "music".

In an era where there is next to nothing the game is stuck in a corner as there is no fight that is going to really mean much, nothing that is going to be big and epic. A lance on lance fight would be increasingly important, but it would not increase the devestation. Instead worlds would be traded upon a whimper of a fight.

What seems to be a problem is that some people want to play small games, which is fine. They might want to read about small fights that took place in the game world, thats also fine. The problem is that if BT blasts itself into a corner it does to negative things:

1. It sticks the game in a rinse, repeat cycle of the same old same old.
2. It removes the possibility of ever reinforcing aerotech/battlespace/whatever its called where there are warships floating around and being used.

There is definitely room for smaller battles in a game world where there are actual armies. Not every action is going to be on the invasion level. There are still going to be recon, harassment, and spec ops stuff to do. The more targets the defenders need to cover, the more spread out they are going to be, the less likely they are going to clump up in one area. They will have to spread out to try and defend what they can. If you drop a company onto a planet that has 3 companies defending it but you have 3 important cities, a starport, a factory, important people, and a base or two with their own targets such as store houses and such, those 3 companies are going to have to split up until they know exactly where you are going. If they know with 100% accuracy that you are going to target 1 with everything, then you kinda screwed yourself and deserve to be hammered. Of course you can remove the player and just make a scenario suggesting someone better did something smarter, so here play this scenario where a lance is attacking an ammo dump to help reduce the build up of faction Z in hopes of delaying what appears to be a likely planetary invasion.

The players and writers are both going to have a lot more wiggle room in a large scale environment. It allows for all playstyles without having to cripple the storyline and the wants of other players.

Hersh67

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 21 August 2012, 08:10:04 »
I think Natasha Kerensky said it best when she said "Variety is the spice of battle".  The trailing end of the 3rd SW had lance on lance combat with companies being able to take and hold (backwaterish) planets and 'cattle raiding' being the order of the day.  Then you have the 4th SW and the Clan Invasion (and now backtracking to the Amaris Civil War).  Pretty much, it's all good.  O0

mnmib1

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 24 September 2012, 18:35:34 »
It looks like I missed the voting but wanted to put my 2 cents in anyway.

The best novels revolved around full sale wars.  Note: I said revolved around.  The clan books were o.k. but the really good ones were the ones that involved politics, espionage, sabotage, etc. on a grand scale.  The books with Justin Allard are a good example.

That being said the best "books" so far have been some of the Jihad sourcebooks.  The not knowing what these guys ultimate goals, capabilities, resources, etc. gave them an interesting quality.  The Clans on the other hand had a 2 dimensional feel to them.  Their only recourse to resolve a situation was to fight.  Not quietly slip a knife in but stand up, pistols at high noon fight.  The Woblies on the other hand may send an individual, a fleet, a division, or a nuke to solve their problem.  They also had at least an inkiling of what propaganda was used for.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 11 November 2012, 13:49:24 »
Personally, i always preferred the smale scale stuff a la 3rd Succession War, especially in the novels.

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: 21 November 2012, 06:54:24 »
I lean more towards mid scale.  Company battalion level.  Big enough to be impressive, but small enough to manage, and develop your own "story".  The old school lance on lance raids where cool also. 
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

wellspring

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: 21 November 2012, 15:32:21 »
I lean more towards mid scale.  Company battalion level.  Big enough to be impressive, but small enough to manage, and develop your own "story".  The old school lance on lance raids where cool also.

+1

In the fiction, I love reading about the full scale wars like the 4th succession war and Operation Revival. In my own games, I prefer small scale raiding and attacks, punctuated with the occasional big battle to take one planet. Any bigger, and the fluff crowds out the game. That might change with IO, but I was always happiest playing company-level battles on the tabletop.

The Clans are ideal for this, too, since their Trial system is mostly geared towards this scale of action. And with them you still get the occasional full-scale war.

Total war, on the other hand, especially nukes and bio-war, totally turns me off. At that point, I start thinking, why play BT in the first place? Big apocalyptic showdowns and constant radical changes make the setting less meaningful for me.

The Mad Max 3025/DA setting doesn't do anything for me either, though to a much lesser extent. Dark Ages was why I stopped playing for a while. With the revival of 3060-3090 material, I got interested again.

Jesshou Kerensky

• Private
« Reply #47 on: 08 January 2013, 04:37:27 »
Well i'm late too but here goes...

Now that we've had all levels we have to feel what would be next and i agree with the poll's result. More invasion of conquest scale. Especially if we are looking for post-Republic "peace time", and Front door Dark Age invasions for nations to use.

This gives us a recent Peace time, and War Just getting into the swing of things again environments to play in. And with Jihad's Total Warfare feel just finished, were in a great reach of all levels range of conflict.

Register