Author Topic: XTRO:1945 - Show me the ‘Missing’ Vehicles!  (Read 1936 times)

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
XTRO:1945 - Show me the ‘Missing’ Vehicles!
« on: 07 June 2013, 02:54:53 »
  I knew I should’ve started this thread a month ago!  :-[  All right, everyone: those of you who’ve been musing about this vehicle or that weapon that ‘should’ have been in this XTRO, here’s your playground.  Raid your library, take guidance from the units in the .pdf, and have at it!

DarthMetool

• Master Sergeant
Re: XTRO:1945 - Show me the ‘Missing’ Vehicles!
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2013, 20:48:11 »
Shouldn't this be in Non-Combat Vehicles?  Oh, well.  Wikipedia article for the M3 Lee.

M3 Lee

Classification: Medium Tank
Primary Manufacturers: Rock Island Arsenal, Detroit Tank Arsenal, American Locomotive Co.
Production Run: August 1941–December 1942
Number Produced: 6,258
Weapon Analysis:
  1 × 75 mm Gun M2/M3
  1 × 37mm Gun M5/M6
  4 × .30-06 Browning M1919A4 machine guns

Overview

The Medium Tank M3 was an American tank used during World War II. In Britain the tank was called by two names based on the turret configuration. Tanks employing US pattern turrets were called the "General Lee", named after Confederate General Robert E. Lee. Variants using British pattern turrets were known as "General Grant", named after U.S. General Ulysses S. Grant.

Design commenced in July 1940, and the first M3s were operational in late 1941. The U.S. Army needed a good tank and coupled with United Kingdom's demand for 3,650 medium tanks immediately, the Lee began production by late 1940. The M3 was well armed and armored for the period, but due to design flaws (high silhouette, archaic sponson mounting of the main gun, below-average off-road performance) it was not satisfactory and was withdrawn from front line duty as soon as the M4 Sherman became available in large numbers.

The M3 was tall and roomy: the power transmission ran through the crew compartment under the turret cage to the gearbox driving the front sprockets. Steering was by differential braking, with a turning circle of 37 ft (11 m). The vertical volute suspension units included a return roller made with self-contained and readily replaced units bolted to the chassis. The turret was power-traversed by an electro-hydraulic system — an electric motor providing the pressure for the hydraulic motor. This fully rotated the turret in 15 seconds. Control was from a spade grip on the gun. The same motor provided pressure for the gun stabilizing system.

Overall, the M3 was able to cope with the battlefield of 1942. Its armor and firepower were the equal or superior to most of the threats it faced. Long-range, high velocity guns were not yet common on German tanks in theatre. However, the rapid pace of tank development, and amongst other things its riveted armour meant that the M3 was very quickly outclassed. By mid-1942, with the introduction of the German Tigers, the up-gunning of the Panzer IV to a long 75-mm gun, and further in 1943 the appearance of the Panthers, along with the availability of large numbers of Shermans, the M3 was withdrawn from service in the European Theater.

Type: M3 Lee
Movement Type: Tracked (Medium)
Equipment Rating: B/X-X-X/D
Mass: 27 tons

Equipment                                                     Mass
Chassis                                                             8
Engine/Control                  400 hp                     8.5
   Type                                ICE
   Cruise                                2
   Flank                                 3
Heat Sinks                             0                          0
Fuel                                    193 km                  0.164
Turret                                                              0.5
Armor Factor (BAR 5):          58                           4
   Front                    3                     15
   R/L Sides              3                     10
   Rear                     3                      9
   Turret                   3                     14
Weapons and Ammo                               Loc      Mass
75mm Cannon                                         F           3
Ammo (75mm) 46                                   B         1.15
2 x .30-06 Machine Guns                          F         0.04
37mm Cannon                                         T         0.55
Ammo (37mm) 178                                  B        0.178
2 x .30-06 Machine Guns                          T         0.04
Ammo (.30-06) 9200                                B        0.368

Crew: 7
Cargo: 510 kg

Notes: Features Armored Chassis modification; Features the following Design Quirks: Obsolete/1944
"John Hancock.  Wait, you want MY signature?"
The TRB Military Catalog
GENERATION 45: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
Re: XTRO:1945 - Show me the ‘Missing’ Vehicles!
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2013, 05:04:28 »
Yes!  Finally, we have Rabbit Team

You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!