Author Topic: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian  (Read 147123 times)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian
« Reply #690 on: 11 January 2020, 06:59:48 »
and my fave judge dredd complete case files 1 through 33
btw does any one remember a origin story of dark judges death mortis fire and fear ? i recall judge death befor he became judge death coming across sisters of death who were also not dead yet

Love that series, but only have 1-16 as that is all that’s currently been released in the States in that series to my knowledge.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #691 on: 11 January 2020, 09:57:19 »
There's been a couple of origin stories for the Dark Judges down through the years.  I remember one that ran as an Anderson serial in the Meg maybe 10 years ago that had gorgeous Arthur Ranson art.  And apparently there's a big ongoing early years of Deadworld thing in the Tooth at the moment, but I've not read it in ages.
i know its so annoying its like having apiece of popcorn stuck between your teeth...you know its there you know it will come out but not when you want it to come out...the one i want is when death was not death and his dad was a traveling dentist(?) that was good ut really tortured people and death picked some of daddys attitude....it had been over 20 years since i read it i think
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #692 on: 11 January 2020, 13:36:45 »
i know its so annoying its like having apiece of popcorn stuck between your teeth...you know its there you know it will come out but not when you want it to come out...the one i want is when death was not death and his dad was a traveling dentist(?) that was good ut really tortured people and death picked some of daddys attitude....it had been over 20 years since i read it i think

Is that Young Death: Portrait of a Superfiend?
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #693 on: 11 January 2020, 13:38:29 »
Currently re-listening-to Blood of Elves before I start the rest of the Witcher books
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #694 on: 11 January 2020, 15:48:21 »
Is that Young Death: Portrait of a Superfiend?
!!!! thats the one!
thanks!
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #695 on: 13 January 2020, 18:12:11 »
Charlie Martz and Other Unpublished Stories of Elmore Leonard.  I can see why most of these were unpublished...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #696 on: 13 January 2020, 19:18:09 »
The Book of Ninja: The Bansenshukai translated by Antony Cummins and Yoshie Minami
« Last Edit: 13 January 2020, 19:19:46 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #697 on: 15 January 2020, 19:26:24 »
So I'm reading three books concurrently.  Two at work and one at home.

At home, I'm nearly done with The Path of Daggers by Robert Jordan.  I'm somewhere between my sixth and eighth re-read of the series.  Two of my co-workers are listening to the audio version of the series.  I bring this up because today is the 30th Anniversary of The Eye of World being published.

At work, I'm alternating between Successful Professional Wargames:  A Practitioner's Handbook and Building Blocks of Tabletop Game Design:  An Encyclopedia of Mechanisms.  The latter uses to Battletech and The Duke to briefly illustrate movement points and tile movement respectively.  Handy books, these. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #698 on: 15 January 2020, 19:39:33 »
You aren't, by chance, going to be at the wargame in Quantico in a couple of weeks, are you? :)

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #699 on: 15 January 2020, 19:50:07 »
PM sent.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #700 on: 28 January 2020, 20:37:40 »
Just finished William Gibson's latest, called "Agency."

It's set in the same world as "Peripheral", involving future-humans whose hobby is to manipulate the course of alternate/ parallel past Earths. This time, there's a new alternate Earth, which occurs in 2017 and where an independent AI is emerging  (one having "agency", hence the title).

Honestly, I was a little disappointed with this. Which is a shame, as Gibson has been one of the few truly reliable writers out there, a master stylist if not a masterful plotter. But this time, he's basically rehashed the emergent AI plot line from "All Tomorrow's Parties" with a carbon copy of the blessed-with-undefined-technological-affinity protagonist from "Pattern Recognition."

The main character spends the book getting transported around California, exercising precious little agency for a book with that as a title, getting vaguely threatened but never very convincingly by bad guys with obscure goals, then it all gets suddenly resolved with a URL. No, I'm not joking.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #701 on: 13 February 2020, 13:19:11 »
The Black Rifle, by  R. Blake Stevens.  I have it on loan from the library but I may have to buy it.  There a is a lot of stuff going on and want to reread parts and maybe take notes.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #702 on: 14 February 2020, 01:26:20 »
The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 by Cristopher Clark

I knew a lot of what he wrote before, but still had to fight of the urge to facepalm every few minutes.
Shoot first, laugh later.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #703 on: 14 February 2020, 08:24:32 »
bio of space tyrant

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #704 on: 14 February 2020, 08:48:02 »

I knew a lot of what he wrote before, but still had to fight of the urge to facepalm every few minutes.
"sheesh, these people were stupid," facepalm

or

"No, Clark, you have that backwards," facepalm?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #705 on: 14 February 2020, 11:17:43 »
bio of space tyrant

Now there's an author I haven't heard about in a while.

Probably not for good reason- that man has issues when it comes to women.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #706 on: 15 February 2020, 14:25:07 »
"sheesh, these people were stupid," facepalm

or

"No, Clark, you have that backwards," facepalm?
I haven't encountered any glaring historical omissions yet, although I have a feeling he is understating the influence of Prussian officer class on German politics somewhat. Anyway decision making that led to WWI was even worse mess then what I expected.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #707 on: 15 February 2020, 14:37:32 »
"Mess" doesn't even begin to describe it...

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #708 on: 15 February 2020, 22:39:43 »
Doing a read-through of an oldie but goodie series from John Christopher.. The Tripods.  First novel - White mountains.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #709 on: 15 February 2020, 22:42:23 »
I remember reading those books in junior high.  Wow, does that set off a chain of related memories.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #710 on: 15 February 2020, 22:47:45 »

Currently teaching wwi in my world history classes. Sleepwalkers is always on my desk this time of year

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #711 on: 15 February 2020, 22:57:06 »
Never Say Die, Robert Hayes.  Asian Fantasy about a swordswoman that is "recruited" by a boy with the power to raise the dead to join his band of risen heroes to defeat an evil emperor.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #712 on: 16 February 2020, 05:55:50 »
The Spy and the Traitor

The story of how MI6 ran and managed to extract Gordievsky from Russia
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #713 on: 16 February 2020, 09:58:12 »
Never Say Die, Robert Hayes.  Asian Fantasy about a swordswoman that is "recruited" by a boy with the power to raise the dead to join his band of risen heroes to defeat an evil emperor.
Really? I wonder the people putting the James Bond movie by the same name knows that.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #714 on: 16 February 2020, 10:03:19 »
Plot twist: James Bond is the swordsman

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #715 on: 16 February 2020, 10:19:48 »
Really? I wonder the people putting the James Bond movie by the same name knows that.

They would be happy to know I thought of their movie when the book is actually just Never Die.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #716 on: 18 February 2020, 17:09:42 »
Doing a read-through of an oldie but goodie series from John Christopher.. The Tripods.  First novel - White mountains.

It's been about 25 years since I read those but I still remember them. Thanks to the vagaries of 2nd had book stores and libraries I read them out of order - 2,3,1 - And I also remember a TV (BBC?) adaption of them. now I want to go & read them again!
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #717 on: 20 February 2020, 16:46:03 »
took a break from bio of space tyrant...went with dracos tavern forgot how much fun it was to read

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #718 on: 17 March 2020, 18:03:08 »
Currently cycling alternate books from
- Horus Heresy (in the mid 40s),
- Charles Stross' Laundry series,
- Katherine Kerr's Deverry series,
- Mark Hodder's steampunk Burton & Swinburn series, and
- assorted Ken McLeod novels, including the Cosmonaut Keep trilogy.

Finish one, move onto the next in the next series.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #719 on: 17 March 2020, 18:18:56 »
Deadliest Enemy - I'm finding this interesting given the current situation.