Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 156001 times)

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #30 on: 27 September 2016, 12:47:06 »
They Live.  Been waiting for the used place to get this on DVD, and they just did!  They are helping me round out my early John Carpenter collection.  I just picked up the original Assault on Precinct 13 last week.

Underrated classic. And the Rowdy One was perfectly cast.  Fun film.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 29 September 2016, 15:16:30 »
Anyone seen the movie Knights of badassdom?  Starring Peter Dinklage, and summer glau?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #32 on: 29 September 2016, 18:57:20 »
Anyone seen the movie Knights of badassdom?  Starring Peter Dinklage, and summer glau?

I have. I found it quite enjoyable, though not quite as good as the hype makes it out to be. Still, a fun watch.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #33 on: 02 October 2016, 10:59:45 »

As an occasional LRPer, I had a good laugh at it :)
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #34 on: 03 October 2016, 12:09:05 »

Yep, and Dinklage was a joy to watch.

Friday night, the wife and I introduced our children to "The Princess Bride." They are 11 and 7; the 11 year old enjoyed it thoroughly, the 7 year old did except for the ROUSes. They both recognized Wallace Shawn's voice, and I pointed out he was the voice of Rex in the "Toy Story" movies.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 05 October 2016, 02:04:02 »
I've had some leave recently, and as a part of losing weight I've been taking the money I would normally spend on breakfast in town after swimming and have instead been using it to buy secondhand Blurays or catch budget screenings at the local cinema. That's led to some interesting viewing experiences...

I watched Here Comes The Boom followed by Warrior; both MMA/UFC-based movies, but rather different in tone. The former was funny in places, but without being over the top, and I found I rather enjoyed it; I wasn't entirely sure what to expect when viewing, but following it with Warrior led to a certain amount of mental readjustment as the angsty manpain began firehosing out of the screen. Both entertaining movies, but rather different in tone...

Divergent/Insurgent: I'm guessing this is another series like the Hunger Games and Maze Runner movies that's based on a YA novel property. I found them amiable, but as was the case with the other series, I found that I liked the world-building more than I did the characters in most cases. I suspect I'm simply not the target audience, and that I'd probably be much keener on them if I was younger. I like that they've been made, and I hope my nieces will enjoy them when they're older, but I'm not sure I'll rush out to rewatch them again soon; the third movie, Allegiant, is available secondhand now for about $12 US, and it's a movie where if it were about $7 (£5) I'd pick it up to see what it's like, but I'm not willing to pay more.

Much Ado About Nothing: This was the 1993 version (although I do want to see the 2012 version too) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The cast was excellent, and I wish I'd seen it sooner; I hope they had as much fun making it as I did watching it.

I, Frankenstein: I decided I had to see this after a friend of mine described it as "a movie worth seeing simply because the most important person amongst the good guys is basically a walking Godphone." I prefer the Underworld movies, but this was fun to watch while playing computer games, if unmemorable.

The Book Thief: I enjoyed this - oddly, the film kept reminding me of Meet Joe Black despite having almost nothing in common with it. It's well made, and I found it interesting, but I'm not sure I'll need to see it again any time soon. I'm honestly confused as to whether the title character is based on a named author I should know, or not. I liked the perspective on the war that the young protagonists brought to the movie.

Expendables 3: it's like the 80s all over again, only with an awareness of just how silly the tropes are, and a determination to have fun with them. I really hope Antonio Banderas had as much fun making this movie as I did watching it, and I may never be able to take Commando or Cobra in any way seriously ever again... but now I want to rewatch both.

Stranded: So that's what Christian Slater's been doing. Generally indifferent movie and I suspect unlikely to get a sequel, but I don't begrudge the $2 I spent to see it.

Gamer: Interesting idea, but I couldn't really get into it. I think when it comes to people-live-playing-computer-games, I'd rather watch Mamoru Oshii's Avalon again.

R.I.P.D.: Eh. I didn't enjoy this one as much as I expected. I'm a fan of Jeff Bridge's work, but I couldn't warm to his character in this, and in some ways it felt rather predictable.

Suicide Squad: I wasn't sure what to expect of this. I don't read DC Comics at the moment (it's a standing joke amongst my friends that every time I find a DC title I enjoy and start reading, it gets cancelled - so now they tell me about stories they like, but don't want me to start buying them in case they get cancelled). I've heard a fair amount about Suicide Squad, and about Harley Quinn and the Joker in particular, and was warned that showing them on screen could be problematic. Having watched the movie, I think it was a solid, but not great superhero movie; some moments felt a bit odd - I liked the character of El Diablo, but it felt like there was an emotional beat missing that should've set up the whole "new family" moment so it felt earned, but the Australian character annoyed me because he felt like an unfunny Deadpool. I expected more deaths (and I gather that was originally planned in the script) and I think the story would've been stronger for it; I think Amanda Waller was possibly the highlight of the movie for me, but after all the Joker stuff online, it felt like either there should've been a lot more of the Joker in the movie, or a lot less. I was expecting to see the Joker betray Harley, Harley to side with the Squad in retaliation, and the Joker then start pursuing her again because she'd become interesting once more, and instead it felt like their relationship was more like a less healthy version of Morticia and Gomez Addams without the complexity. I think the overall feeling I was left with was "why didn't those two die? Is there going to be an extended cut that adds more?"

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 05 October 2016, 14:09:04 »
I watched Here Comes The Boom followed by Warrior; both MMA/UFC-based movies, but rather different in tone. The former was funny in places, but without being over the top, and I found I rather enjoyed it; I wasn't entirely sure what to expect when viewing, but following it with Warrior led to a certain amount of mental readjustment as the angsty manpain began firehosing out of the screen. Both entertaining movies, but rather different in tone...

I loved here comes the boom, more cause it WAS a comedy than the fighting in it..  however the cameos by real UFC fighters, was cool..  As for warrior, i really liked it, but hated the character portrayed by one brother (tom hardy).

Divergent/Insurgent: I'm guessing this is another series like the Hunger Games and Maze Runner movies that's based on a YA novel property. I found them amiable, but as was the case with the other series, I found that I liked the world-building more than I did the characters in most cases. I suspect I'm simply not the target audience, and that I'd probably be much keener on them if I was younger. I like that they've been made, and I hope my nieces will enjoy them when they're older, but I'm not sure I'll rush out to rewatch them again soon; the third movie, Allegiant, is available secondhand now for about $12 US, and it's a movie where if it were about $7 (£5) I'd pick it up to see what it's like, but I'm not willing to pay more.

Like with the hunger games, i much preferred the first in the series to the others after.  BUT i would much rather The insurgent/divergent than the maze runners any day.

I, Frankenstein: I decided I had to see this after a friend of mine described it as "a movie worth seeing simply because the most important person amongst the good guys is basically a walking Godphone." I prefer the Underworld movies, but this was fun to watch while playing computer games, if unmemorable.

Eckhart did a very good job with this, and i was surprised how much i liked the main baddie..

Gamer: Interesting idea, but I couldn't really get into it. I think when it comes to people-live-playing-computer-games, I'd rather watch Mamoru Oshii's Avalon again.

Great idea, poor implementation imo.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 05 October 2016, 14:58:06 »
(SNIP!)
Suicide Squad: I wasn't sure what to expect of this. I don't read DC Comics at the moment (it's a standing joke amongst my friends that every time I find a DC title I enjoy and start reading, it gets cancelled - so now they tell me about stories they like, but don't want me to start buying them in case they get cancelled). I've heard a fair amount about Suicide Squad, and about Harley Quinn and the Joker in particular, and was warned that showing them on screen could be problematic. Having watched the movie, I think it was a solid, but not great superhero movie; some moments felt a bit odd - I liked the character of El Diablo, but it felt like there was an emotional beat missing that should've set up the whole "new family" moment so it felt earned, but the Australian character annoyed me because he felt like an unfunny Deadpool. I expected more deaths (and I gather that was originally planned in the script) and I think the story would've been stronger for it; I think Amanda Waller was possibly the highlight of the movie for me, but after all the Joker stuff online, it felt like either there should've been a lot more of the Joker in the movie, or a lot less. I was expecting to see the Joker betray Harley, Harley to side with the Squad in retaliation, and the Joker then start pursuing her again because she'd become interesting once more, and instead it felt like their relationship was more like a less healthy version of Morticia and Gomez Addams without the complexity. I think the overall feeling I was left with was "why didn't those two die? Is there going to be an extended cut that adds more?"

Yes, there is an extended cut, just announced today.  http://www.comingsoon.net/dvd/trailers/773493-the-suicide-squad-extended-cut-trailer-is-here#/slide/1

As for the film, I am more a Marvel guy, but I have read all of the last two runs of "Suicide Squad" (New 52's volume 4 and the new Volume 5,) and enjoyed the feel of it.  And I went in not expecting much (as I had heard a few reviews).  My first thought was "there was parts of a movie in their someplace, but..."  There were parts I liked, such as most of the casting. Diablo is my favorite character, and Jay Hernandez did a solid job.  Smith and Robbie were really good as well, and Davis was a rock as Waller (who has been voted as Best Villain for DC at least once, IIRC and who was originally designed to be the DC movies version of Nick Fury, but with 50% more sociopath), and the soundtrack was great.  But...gah.  Leto's Joker was...boring.  Enchantress and Katana were lost in the noise (and there was a lot of noise). Joel Kinnaman's Flag was flat and mono-dimensional. The extended attempts to soften the bad good guys looked like it was tacked on. Plot holes you could walk King Shark through (I missed him, though Akinnuoye-Agbaje did as much as he could with Killer Croc).  And so much visual, audio and storyline noise.

Part of me wants to watch the extended version, and part of me just doesn't see the point. 

Oh, and Beau Reve would be "beautiful dream."  Just sayin'.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 06 October 2016, 01:49:13 »
I loved here comes the boom, more cause it WAS a comedy than the fighting in it..  however the cameos by real UFC fighters, was cool..  As for warrior, i really liked it, but hated the character portrayed by one brother (tom hardy).
Here Comes The Boom reminded me a lot of The Replacements for some reason - it wasn't a laugh-out-loud movie for me, although it did have a couple of moments, but it managed to be funny while also having a lot of heart, and I think that's probably why I enjoyed it so much. Although I'll watch anything with Salma Hayek in it, and I really liked Bas Rutten's character.

I can't say I liked Tom Hardy's character in Warrior either - I think if he'd been even a little more sympathetic, the film would've been a lot stronger for me. I did enjoy watching Nick Nolte's performance - I think he did a really good job in the film, with the time available to his character.

Like with the hunger games, i much preferred the first in the series to the others after.  BUT i would much rather The insurgent/divergent than the maze runners any day.
I liked the mystery aspect of the first Maze Runner film, but I've not watched the sequel yet - I didn't like it enough to pay what the secondhand blurays are going for. I'm still waiting to see the last two Hunger Games films for similar reasons, although I'm also waiting until I can watch them back-to-back. Unlike the others, I've actually read the Hunger Games novels, and I think the first movie did a better job of giving characters other than Katniss things to do and roles to play, but I found the last book really didn't work for me, in part because of a couple of scenes that just threw out my suspension of disbelief completely. Divergent felt like the stronger movie to me, compared to Insurgent, but the setup for Allegiant made me hopeful that it could be a good film - I'm fascinated by the idea of finding out what's outside the wall, and what the rest of the human race looks like outside the city. Visually, I found the two Divergent movies much more my thing than the Hunger Games movies - I really liked seeing a community surviving inside a city that had been at least partially wrecked, and where they'd never managed to rebuild or repair a lot of the buildings.

Eckhart did a very good job with this, and i was surprised how much i liked the main baddie..
Given how thin the plot was, I think Eckhart did a good job - but I also find him to be quite a watchable lead in other films. I know that Battle: Los Angeles got pretty indifferent reviews, but for me it was an entertaining modern B-movie romp, and I enjoyed seeing Eckhart as the ageing SSgt.

Great idea, poor implementation imo.
It felt like Gamer was trying to be Death Race only with video games rather than cars. It just wasn't as entertaining for me though, and I'm not entirely sure why, given how much I enjoy movies like The Running Man.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 06 October 2016, 02:48:45 »
Yes, there is an extended cut, just announced today.  http://www.comingsoon.net/dvd/trailers/773493-the-suicide-squad-extended-cut-trailer-is-here#/slide/1

As for the film, I am more a Marvel guy, but I have read all of the last two runs of "Suicide Squad" (New 52's volume 4 and the new Volume 5,) and enjoyed the feel of it.  And I went in not expecting much (as I had heard a few reviews).  My first thought was "there was parts of a movie in their someplace, but..."  There were parts I liked, such as most of the casting. Diablo is my favorite character, and Jay Hernandez did a solid job.  Smith and Robbie were really good as well, and Davis was a rock as Waller (who has been voted as Best Villain for DC at least once, IIRC and who was originally designed to be the DC movies version of Nick Fury, but with 50% more sociopath), and the soundtrack was great.  But...gah.  Leto's Joker was...boring.  Enchantress and Katana were lost in the noise (and there was a lot of noise). Joel Kinnaman's Flag was flat and mono-dimensional. The extended attempts to soften the bad good guys looked like it was tacked on. Plot holes you could walk King Shark through (I missed him, though Akinnuoye-Agbaje did as much as he could with Killer Croc).  And so much visual, audio and storyline noise.

Part of me wants to watch the extended version, and part of me just doesn't see the point. 

Oh, and Beau Reve would be "beautiful dream."  Just sayin'.
I wonder if the extended version will feel like a better movie or not. As it is, I'd rate Suicide Squad at about 7/10 - not great, not terrible, generally entertaining but not something that's going to be a favourite for repeated viewing. On the other hand, there are some movies where an extended cut or directors cut can make a big difference for me (Daredevil, I'm looking at you.)

I did wonder why Flag and all of the police/sheriff types seemed to be from Alabama or somewhere similar, and I definitely think the movie would've been stronger if Flag and the Enchantress had died - but I gather that this was one of the things that caused a lot of problems during casting, with Flag in particular being difficult to cast because no-one wanted to take up the role of a character who died halfway through the film. I remember thinking that in the final battle, it felt like the emotional beats were out of step for his character - I'm supposed to believe that he's motivated by wanting to save the Enchantress, but he has time to hug Deadshot to set up a joke? And more than that, he just... wasn't interesting or entertaining. It worked when he was the straight man to bizarre humour from the other characters, but that was a relative minority of the time.

After I'd seen the movie, I ended up chatting for a while with a couple of friends of mine who've read quite a lot of DC stuff and are fans of Suicide Squad in particular, and one of the things I asked about was whether the movie tried hard to make Deadshot sympathetic because he was being played by Will Smith, or if the character is actually like that in the comics. Apparently, for an assassin, he is actually a somewhat principled and sympathetic character, but when I was wondering about his role in the film, I realised that one of the things that didn't settle so well is that the Suicide Squad are all fundamentally bad guys - they might be bad guys currently doing a good thing because they're being forced into it,  but they remain bad guys. The film felt like it was trying to make them too heroic or sympathetic at times, but at other times, when they were acting in a more villainous fashion, it felt like it was a bit superficial. I think that's one of the reasons I liked El Diablo so much - with the exception of the scene I mentioned earlier, I think he was one of the most consistent characters in the film, and while I would've liked to have seen him struggling with his anger more before he did actually cut loose, I could believe that he was someone who's been carrying around a lot of rage and anger for most of his life, and that he blames that in part for some of the things he's done. Watching him fight in the final battle was the most entertaining part of that battle.

I would've liked seeing King Shark more than Killer Croc - but given that Killer Croc felt very much like a secondary character, I think he was well-used with the time they did give him. I would've liked more, but isn't that always the case?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 06 October 2016, 05:29:47 »
<snip>Much Ado About Nothing: This was the 1993 version (although I do want to see the 2012 version too) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The cast was excellent, and I wish I'd seen it sooner; I hope they had as much fun making it as I did watching it.

<snip>
You can skip the 2012 version. It's a Whedon movie with all of his fave actors from previous/current works in it. It's a modernist take on the film set in present day California but with the Shakespearean dialogue. The acting was meh and most of the actors probably haven't done Shakespeare since their high days when they did Romeo and Juliet. None of the actors even came close to Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson. Heck they didn't even come close to Keaton's portrayal of Dogberry.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 06 October 2016, 14:32:39 »
I can't say I liked Tom Hardy's character in Warrior either - I think if he'd been even a little more sympathetic, the film would've been a lot stronger for me. I did enjoy watching Nick Nolte's performance - I think he did a really good job in the film, with the time available to his character.

For me, Nolte was one of the best performances in Warrior.  But i have always liked him..  Heck my favorite nolte film was with him and Julia roberts (i love trouble).

I liked the mystery aspect of the first Maze Runner film, but I've not watched the sequel yet - I didn't like it enough to pay what the secondhand blurays are going for. I'm still waiting to see the last two Hunger Games films for similar reasons, although I'm also waiting until I can watch them back-to-back. Unlike the others, I've actually read the Hunger Games novels, and I think the first movie did a better job of giving characters other than Katniss things to do and roles to play, but I found the last book really didn't work for me, in part because of a couple of scenes that just threw out my suspension of disbelief completely. Divergent felt like the stronger movie to me, compared to Insurgent, but the setup for Allegiant made me hopeful that it could be a good film - I'm fascinated by the idea of finding out what's outside the wall, and what the rest of the human race looks like outside the city. Visually, I found the two Divergent movies much more my thing than the Hunger Games movies - I really liked seeing a community surviving inside a city that had been at least partially wrecked, and where they'd never managed to rebuild or repair a lot of the buildings.

All 3 are similar in concept (singular or group of teens saving the day in a post apocalyptic like world..  BUT the trio of the divergent imo are better plotted out than the hunger games..  Evne if THAT had some better action scenes.

Given how thin the plot was, I think Eckhart did a good job - but I also find him to be quite a watchable lead in other films. I know that Battle: Los Angeles got pretty indifferent reviews, but for me it was an entertaining modern B-movie romp, and I enjoyed seeing Eckhart as the ageing SSgt.

One of my fave ones of his, was when he was the baddie, in Paycheck with Afleck.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 11 October 2016, 18:21:51 »
just got my copy of batman return of cape crusader....too bad i will not be able to see it till tomorrow! damn it all ohh how i must suffer!
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 15 October 2016, 17:06:30 »
couuld not sleep due to constant pain i am in so nights are the worst so i watched two episodes of westworld
and to my everlasting pai batman crusaders return
as much as i enjoyed the batman it seemed to me that voice acting was way better for west and burt than newmar. but on the plus side batmobile got a lot of love
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 16 October 2016, 00:45:30 »
So who's been keeping track of the previews for Hacksaw ridge and Dr Strange??

Which set of previews/trailers makes you want to see the movie more?

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 16 October 2016, 06:34:12 »
So who's been keeping track of the previews for Hacksaw ridge and Dr Strange??

Which set of previews/trailers makes you want to see the movie more?

Not I. I have zero interest in either movie.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 16 October 2016, 14:22:38 »
Last night, i watched an interesting Wu-ixizan style Roman-vs chineese type film, with John Cussack, Adrien brody and Jackie chan called Dragon Blade..  Other than the very ham fisted "we must all get along, peace is good" politics it seemed to be laced with, AND the over half of it was dubbed with subtitles, i rather liked it for the fight scenes...

Plotline was based on 'roman legion group along the silk road, takes refuge of sorts in chinese/mongolian city, which later comes under attack from bigger roman legion group...  Brody did well as the bad guy.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 16 October 2016, 16:46:35 »
I just watched Warm Bodies (2013) on SyFy. I had never seen it before. I enjoyed it.

I'll be watching Noah (2014) on FX at 7PM tonight. Also my first time seeing it.

Meow Liao

• Warrant Officer
  • The PPC Kitty
« Reply #48 on: 16 October 2016, 16:47:45 »
I have Dragon Blade on the dvr for some future watching. 

Just finished FFXV: Kingsglaive.  The usual intricate plot of bad guys try to kill good guys for some reason.  I wanted to see great animation, and that is what I got.  The glaives, in this case daggers, do have an interesting gimmick.  It was great eye candy that reminded me I've been wanting to watch the cutscenes from FF8.  It might even convince me to play X or XII, the two FF games I have for the 360.

Meow Liao

Have some plum wine with that PPC.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 17 October 2016, 01:11:21 »
Someone told me kingsglaive was a missmash of CGI and Real actors periodically..  Kind of like warcraft/avatar.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #50 on: 17 October 2016, 01:31:31 »
Finally watched Zootopia the other week.  I really enjoyed it, actually.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 17 October 2016, 14:17:51 »
The Raven, 1963.  Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, Jack Nicholson.  Amazing cheesey fun.  Peter Lorre was ad-libbing all over, which apparently annoyed Karloff to no end.  Saw it for the first time at about nine on late night TV (Sinister Cinema, for those in Stumptown).  Price made me want to be a wizard; Lorre made me want to be a lush.  Fifty percent isn't bad...

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 17 October 2016, 17:53:34 »
Caught Cars 2 on TV. As someone who felt largely indifferent to Cars, I was pleasantly surprised by the uh, level of carnage (bah dum tss!) in a kids movie. I expected a kid friendly take on James Bond but this was the full treatment, complete with significant body count starting in the first 5 minutes and even a torture scene ending in violent death.

Finally watched Zootopia the other week.  I really enjoyed it, actually.
The end product seems vastly different from the teasers and trailers. I cannot help but wonder if then-recent events resulted in a quick storyline change. Whether it was so or meant to be from the start, the rather obvious moral it was shilling detracted from the buddy-cop plot and world-building. I like my movies with morals, but I hate to be beaten on the head with 'em...

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #53 on: 17 October 2016, 21:38:58 »
The end product seems vastly different from the teasers and trailers. I cannot help but wonder if then-recent events resulted in a quick storyline change. Whether it was so or meant to be from the start, the rather obvious moral it was shilling detracted from the buddy-cop plot and world-building. I like my movies with morals, but I hate to be beaten on the head with 'em...

Actually, the storyline change they did was shifting from Nick's perspective to Judy's.  Originally predators in the city needed "tame collars" that would shock them to be part of society.  That got dumped and they switched to the optimistic Judy as the main character.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #54 on: 17 October 2016, 23:33:47 »
I just saw the Director's edition of 1978 film, The Warriors.  I've never watched the entire film before. This new 2005 director cut adds enhancements like comic book style scene changes as the gang tries to escape throught New York to Coney Island.

It was good movie, though some of it was perhaps little silly, should not be take seriously.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #55 on: 18 October 2016, 01:08:00 »
Actually, the storyline change they did was shifting from Nick's perspective to Judy's.  Originally predators in the city needed "tame collars" that would shock them to be part of society.  That got dumped and they switched to the optimistic Judy as the main character.

And that happened relatively early in the movie's production.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 18 October 2016, 07:25:59 »
And that happened relatively early in the movie's production.

It would have to be. Late changes would require rather substantial (and expensive) re-animation.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 18 October 2016, 08:48:38 »
whichever it is, I was looking forward to Disney/Pixar's take on stereotyping, but the movie's treatment was uncharacteristically heavy-handed, and detracted from the buddy-cop part of the movie. Also, I know its for kids but none of the comic relief from Chief Boga, Clawhauser or Shakira the Gazelle struck a chord at all.

I mean like, Wall-E got the point across without pouring it over on anybody's head or having any character make cringey speeches (show, don't tell), and it wasn't said to be the most subtle of messages.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #58 on: 18 October 2016, 12:10:12 »
I just saw the Director's edition of 1978 film, The Warriors.  I've never watched the entire film before. This new 2005 director cut adds enhancements like comic book style scene changes as the gang tries to escape throught New York to Coney Island.

It was good movie, though some of it was perhaps little silly, should not be take seriously.

I really like that film, but I hated the Directors Cut version, so I had to search out the older print on DVD. 

But yeah, best Gang Action Film Based on Greek History ever!  ( I loved that they kept Cyrus' name the same.  But Swan probably flows a little easier that "Xenophon.")

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 18 October 2016, 12:24:11 »
i had to do it i just had to even my youngling was cringing at the movie...i am thinking of using it as punishment tool

superman quest for peace

and being a good parent introduced my youngling to rocky horror picture show

and she is going to see it live in theater on 28th of this month...
cant wait to see her reaction to her old mans past time when i was living in nyc