Author Topic: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings  (Read 48737 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings
« Reply #60 on: 06 September 2019, 09:28:49 »
Not so sure on Williams- I'm guessing he's done, but it seems weird that he's not actually retiring, just kind of putting himself in limbo. I'm wondering if he plans to kind of take a few months off and rejoin the Canes later in the season to keep himself fresh for the playoffs. No way to know for sure yet, but if he was truly done I would think he'd just do the paperwork (as Kornwall just did) rather than leave the door open.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #61 on: 06 September 2019, 23:00:24 »
Looks like the Jake Gardiner sweepstakes are over, and the 'Canes are the winners.  Leafs fans figure he can be the goat for some other team now.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #62 on: 07 September 2019, 01:00:19 »
I'm assuming the Gardiner signing makes the 'Canes' chances of signing Williams non-existent unless it is later in the season.  I assume that is either his plan or he hasn't received offers he considers worth it to play for a contender for something other than peanuts.  He can simply wait until later in the season for a when the 'Canes have more salary available as the cap pro-rate progresses through the season.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #63 on: 07 September 2019, 21:43:46 »
Ovechkin talks about catching Gretzky in the goal scoring race.  Do you even think it's possible?  He played in a different time with an all-star team around him in the Oilers of the 80's.

Is it talk, or is there substance to it? Does Ovi have a chance at catching the Great One?

I tried to post my Gretzky Rangers jersey, but it won't let me post off of fb.
« Last Edit: 07 September 2019, 22:23:56 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #64 on: 08 September 2019, 04:30:25 »
Honestly... no. It's POSSIBLE,  but unlikely. Father Time comes for every athlete eventually, and when he does the effects are permanent. Ovechkin still is a top talent for now, but I don't know that he has enough time left at that peak to make up enough ground on the record.

Now, that said, if anyone COULD, he'd be my pick to get there. It's been a pleasure to be in DC for most of his career and see him firsthand. I've only seen someone who single-handedly changes a game the way be does once in my time watching the NHL- Peter Forsberg. I don't know how to give higher praise than that.

I'll say this- if he hadn't had his slump a few years ago during the Hunter/Oates years, where he looked merely good rather than superhuman, he might have had a better shot at this.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 08 September 2019, 13:21:03 »
I think Ovechkin can do it.  He doesn't have that otherworldly dazzle he had when he was in his mid 20s.  Now more than ever his production is going to be dependent on his line mates to keep up a 40-50 goal pace.  Backstrom is a UFA after this season and he is driver on the PP that Ovechkin benefits from.  It would be weird to see Backstrom elsewhere, but I can certainly see it happen.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #66 on: 13 September 2019, 20:54:03 »
The Marner watch is over.  He signed with the Leafs for 65+ million over six years. 

The word is all the other unsigned RFAs were waiting for "the first domino to fall", and this was it.   Let's see if that's true.   Maybe another offersheet gets tendered.  If were lucky. 
« Last Edit: 13 September 2019, 20:55:42 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 14 September 2019, 00:50:13 »
The Marner watch is over.  He signed with the Leafs for 65+ million over six years. 

The word is all the other unsigned RFAs were waiting for "the first domino to fall", and this was it.   Let's see if that's true.   Maybe another offersheet gets tendered.  If were lucky.
I feel sorry for the Avs. Now they are going to have to pay Rantanen close to that much and I don't know if they have the space to do it.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #68 on: 14 September 2019, 03:11:08 »
I feel sorry for the Avs. Now they are going to have to pay Rantanen close to that much and I don't know if they have the space to do it.

Tampa Bay will have the same issue with Point.  Then Winnipeg will have to find a way to pay both Laine and Connor.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: 14 September 2019, 22:28:45 »
They have 15.6 million in cap space this season and over double that available before making offers to free agents for next season.  They have no UFAs of any consequence they will have to sign next year.  The only way this doesn't get done is the Avs penny pinch and that really shouldn't happen, but it will because Colorado isn't team known to spend to the cap ceiling.

Tampa Bay will have the same issue with Point.  Then Winnipeg will have to find a way to pay both Laine and Connor.
IMO, Tampa's outstanding issue with signing Point boil down to making an ill advised contract for Yanni Gourde for the 5.16 mil he makes a year and the recent Shattenkirk contract, which carries a NTC.  The missing cash they need is right there.  They also seemingly aggravated the issue by trading for Mike Condon in bury him.  That combination of events and the fact that Point likely isn't willing to take the Florida 'income tax' discount makes it likely he won't be on ice opening night unless the trade someone or have this plan where someone goes on LTIR.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #70 on: 15 September 2019, 16:50:30 »
What with all the high end forward RFAs out there, the D men are seeming underated.  The Bruins sealed the deal with McAvoy today, $14.7 mil for three years. 

What a steal!  McAvoy is sick and only going to get better.  Bruins bucks go a long way.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #71 on: 17 September 2019, 07:33:11 »
Man, my ESPN feed is so old it showed a hockey score when I looked at it this morning.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #72 on: 23 September 2019, 21:06:00 »
Lightning signed Brayden Point to a three year deal worth just over $20 million.  Seems the dominos are all falling into place.  And Lightning bucks are worth as much as Bruin bucks.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 23 September 2019, 22:45:54 »
Point is apparently coming off surgery too.  He will still be an RFA when the contract matures, however, with that back loaded contract and lack of a NTC, TB might have a more difficult time extending him in 3 years.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #74 on: 24 September 2019, 20:50:59 »
Carolina traded Justin Faulk to St. Louis today, in exchange for Joel Edmundson, a prospect, and a 7th rounder.  Looks like the champs are only getting better.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #75 on: 24 September 2019, 22:50:02 »
I suspect that with Faulk traded to St. Louis that this will be Pietrangelo last year in town.  Pietrangelo is the better defenseman, but they just gave Faulk an extension for the same cash AAV.  Pound for pound Pietrangelo is the better player, but cost certainty always trumps the guy who they will have to give a modest raise to next year.

EthrDemon

• Sergeant
« Reply #76 on: 25 September 2019, 00:06:32 »
Plus one year with both seems like a good platform to hunt for a repeat

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #77 on: 25 September 2019, 22:05:58 »
Tkachuk signed a three year deal with Calgary today worth $7 mil per year.

Now its down to Rantanen, a deal that will get done.  And Winnipeg with Laine and Connor.  Winnipeg's woes are now extending to Byfuglien's future, which is in doubt.  It seems the Peg is well-nigh fubared.
« Last Edit: 25 September 2019, 22:07:30 by rebs »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: 25 September 2019, 23:47:04 »
There isn't much incentive for Rantanen to sign a deal anytime soon.  He can hold out for at least 8-9 mil a year and he has a good case to still hold out for Marner money.  Laine and Connor should get 7 million a year, however, Winnipeg probably is a bit leery in giving Laine that cash because he had a down season.  They shouldn't be with him being 21 years old. Tkachuk's contract looks to be a good comparison, though both have produced as much or more in the a similar amount of games played.  If anything that should drive their price up.

The Jets have just enough 2 line talent that they could start out well enough that they don't feel a need to rush negotiations either.  They don't start playing teams with considerably more depth outside of Pittsburgh until November.  I see a possibility that they go 8-5-1 or 9-4 in October and then it all goes into a tailspin leading into Thanksgiving after they start playing Vegas, San Jose, Colorado, and Nashville and get ripped to shreds.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #79 on: 26 September 2019, 09:16:05 »
Rantanen can hold out for Marner, but I don't think the Avs can afford it, especially when McKinnon comes due for his next contract.
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #80 on: 27 September 2019, 17:27:03 »
Laine signed effectively a bridge contract for 3 years.  Plenty of cash left to sign Connor.

Rantanen can hold out for Marner, but I don't think the Avs can afford it, especially when McKinnon comes due for his next contract.
That is idea.  However that really isn't Ratanen's concern and can't be his motivation.  McKinnon's contract is a bargain for the Avs and anyone they might trade him to in the future. 

While escalating salary is certainly a concern of their cap, if they aren't going to pay him then they should trade him for assets.  He is due to be paid more than what laine, tkachuk, or Connor gets paid.  If he gets paid less than 8 mil then it is because ratanen and his agent waivered.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #81 on: 27 September 2019, 17:31:02 »
I guess that down year did hurt Laine a little, but he has a chance to cash big in a couple years of solid production. 
« Last Edit: 27 September 2019, 17:32:35 by rebs »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #82 on: 27 September 2019, 18:06:16 »
I think it was a combination of his down season when weighted against what Tkachuk received in compensation.  Not to much to leverage left as a a more favorable comparison.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #83 on: 28 September 2019, 19:53:06 »
Well Mikko is signed by the AVs for 6 years, $55.5 million ($9,25 million AAV). It's more than I would like.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #84 on: 28 September 2019, 19:55:48 »
Yeah, a bit more than preferred, but MAN it's good to ha e him on the opening night roster. This is going to be a fun season.

+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 28 September 2019, 20:03:20 »
Yeah, a bit more than preferred, but MAN it's good to ha e him on the opening night roster. This is going to be a fun season.
especially between the pipes/ We'll see if Grubauer can make it thru the year as the #1 goalie.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #86 on: 29 September 2019, 00:25:56 »
Connor signed a 7 year deal with the Jets worth $7.14 mil per season. 

With him and Rantanen signed today, that wraps up most if not all the high end RFAs we had floating around this summer. 

And in other news, the Wings got smacked around pretty good by the Leafs tonight to end the preseason.  One of my takeaways from this preseason is the Wings will do fine against lesser competition, but will struggle against good and elite clubs though they shouldn't be counted out off hand.  My other takeaway is the captain situation.  We will be having no captain again.  That tells me that the few good players we have who would be considered for the captaincy are possibly open to be traded.  Not unusual for a team that is in full rebuild mode as we are.  Larkin would be captain already if he didn't lead the team in penalty minites last season.  Maturity, that's my feeling on ot.  But if he performs as well as he did last year on the scoresheet, he could be worth a lot of high level picks.  Who knows...   We're a team in flux.

How's your team check out as the season begins? :)
« Last Edit: 29 September 2019, 16:04:40 by rebs »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 29 September 2019, 14:07:36 »
The Caps are pretty much in the same place they were last year.  A year older and the window for another long Cup run closing.  A few dubious contracts that are on the books for a few years that they felt compelled to offer to retain or attract talent.  At the end of the day though I'm settling in for what is likely the last season of Holtby, Backstrom, or both in a Caps uniform.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: 01 October 2019, 00:38:38 »
I know nothing about Lausanne HC, but it can't be a good sign for the Flyers that lost to them in an exhibition with Lausanne scoring 4 goals before the Flyers touched the score sheet.  I only caught the highlights of the game, but man does Philadelphia look lethargic.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #89 on: 01 October 2019, 16:25:38 »
Evander Kane's season steps off on the wrong foot.  He gets a three game suspension for pushing back on a linesman who was breaking up a scuffle between him and another player during San Jose's last preseason game against Vegas.  I didn't see it myself, but from fan reactions, Kane has a history of this.  Are the fan reactions BS, or does Kane simply "play with an edge", as other players are praised for?
« Last Edit: 01 October 2019, 17:20:18 by rebs »