Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Anime Gunsmith Catgirls Reincarnated into Another Thread  (Read 141501 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
And I need to rewatch it some time.

Ruger

I need to watch it. It's on Crunchyroll, for all the while that service'll last.

Explanation: I only managed to watch a borrowed disc from a friend that was somewhere in the middle, early, in the series.

Quick question - I discovered an anime reviewer on YouTube calling himself The Anime Man.  There are some interesting things he does with his viewers.  So,
how serious are the discussions supposed to be for this thread?  Reason I ask is it might be fun to tackle some of those challenges when there seems to be a lull in the conversation.

For example: Ruin an anime by changing one letter in the title. I think my favorite of that particular video was 'A Silent Noice'.

If MadCap and the rest prefer stuff like that go elsewhere, let me know, and I'll refrain.

Another question is more Crunchyroll related: I watch it on my PS3, and there's one title that tells me I'm not connected right.  I'm wondering if its the format the series is in, whether it's compatible with the PS3 or not.  Can't recall the title right off hand.  It's a slice-of-life comedy (I think).  I'll update y'all after I've looked this weekend.

Any thoughts?

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!

Quick question - I discovered an anime reviewer on YouTube calling himself The Anime Man.  There are some interesting things he does with his viewers.  So,
how serious are the discussions supposed to be for this thread?  Reason I ask is it might be fun to tackle some of those challenges when there seems to be a lull in the conversation.

For example: Ruin an anime by changing one letter in the title. I think my favorite of that particular video was 'A Silent Noice'.

If MadCap and the rest prefer stuff like that go elsewhere, let me know, and I'll refrain.

That sounds like more of a Mod question, but traditionally that sort of thing goes in the Hall. Considering we get a lot of mod scrutiny up in here, I'm not sure we want to encourage things to get too out of hand. Sounds like fun Twitter shennanigans though!

DarkSpade

• Major
Was I supposed to wait for a mod to start the next thread?

Speaking of Azur lane(Istal_Devalis' fault), I managed to get enough of the new ships to lvl 70 to get all the points i need for the special thing from the event but I'm 4 sacrificial ships short of limit breaking them.  :'(  All my chances of getting the ships through missions have already been used as well as the daily log in and there's no way I'm getting enough merit by tuesday to get the one gold ship I need.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...

That sounds like more of a Mod question, but traditionally that sort of thing goes in the Hall. Considering we get a lot of mod scrutiny up in here, I'm not sure we want to encourage things to get too out of hand. Sounds like fun Twitter shennanigans though!

Yeah, Let's keep something like that to the Hall, please; that's what it is there for. 

The Anime Man is a fun channel to watch, but he does those on Twitter and it gets thousands of responses, not just the few you see in his vids.

No, but  the Mod who saw the last one needed to be locked (before I did) just went ahead and started a new thread without checking to see if there was a new thread. 

It's OK, it's all cleaned up now.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel

Speaking of Azur lane(Istal_Devalis' fault), I managed to get enough of the new ships to lvl 70 to get all the points i need for the special thing from the event but I'm 4 sacrificial ships short of limit breaking them.  :'(  All my chances of getting the ships through missions have already been used as well as the daily log in and there's no way I'm getting enough merit by tuesday to get the one gold ship I need.

Remember that you can always use Bullin to limit break your ships! There almost always obtainable via Daily Missions!

DarkSpade

• Major
Remember that you can always use Bullin to limit break your ships! There almost always obtainable via Daily Missions!
That's the problem.  You can only get them through the weekly missions and I've done all them already this week. I don't think they reset until after, or at the same time, as the deadline.  :(  Merit and medals are a possibility, but there's a random element to them being available and I doubt I'll be able to afford so many.   So close and yet so far.    I'm not really losing out on much, just a portrait frame.  I'm more bummed that I spent the resources to go after it with nothing to show for it in the end.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Luciora

• Major
Should we create a Azur Lane specific thread?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
HOLY CRAP, that last episode of GRANBELM!  :o

Nexus really brought their A game to this show, & it's a real shame that it seems most folks have slept on it (The SD mecha designs probably didn't help). At the beginning of the season it was near the top of my list, but the last four episodes shifted the narrative substantially from a Fate/Stay Night style tournament to more of a Madoka existentialist scenario. If I have any criticism at all, it's that the pacing is a little too long on the fights and a little too sparse on the characters, but it was probably my top work of the season overall!

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
HOLY CRAP, that last episode of GRANBELM!  :o

Nexus really brought their A game to this show, & it's a real shame that it seems most folks have slept on it (The SD mecha designs probably didn't help). At the beginning of the season it was near the top of my list, but the last four episodes shifted the narrative substantially from a Fate/Stay Night style tournament to more of a Madoka existentialist scenario. If I have any criticism at all, it's that the pacing is a little too long on the fights and a little too sparse on the characters, but it was probably my top work of the season overall!
It was an quite a good show, my criticism is that the mecha fights in the later episodes are better then in the earlier episodes.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
Just watched the 24 minute preview of Black Fox (movie) on Crunchyroll: I believe it is supposed to air next weekend. Looks fun.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
Now that it's over, I'm gonna miss Symphogear, mad ride that it was.
It's not a masterpiece by ANY definition, but 65 episodes over five seasons of insane-hype yuri song-driven magical-girl powered armour will still do that to a person.

I really have been struggling to find time for myself at all this period, so I pretty much ended up skipping most of the shows for Summer 2019 (the ever growing backlog), but I'm glad I made time for this one. The finale was surprisingly less hype and more subdued than I expected considering it can be summed up as "Girl Fists God", but somehow, the Macross-esque ending made for a better fit with the series tonality.

I'm really gonna miss the Smart-Dumb mess of a show.
« Last Edit: 28 September 2019, 19:40:45 by Dies Irae »

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
First of a planned 6 (six!) Princess Principal movies has been announced for April 10th 2020!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHzyYIn_pKU&feature=youtu.be

Can it be next year yet?  :smitten:

DarkSpade

• Major
Does it take place after season one, or during?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Does it take place after season one, or during?

Sounds like afterward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
By the way, what's the status of the Girls und Panzer final?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
By the way, what's the status of the Girls und Panzer final?

Second film hit Japanese theaters in June. I don't think it'll stay in theaters as long as the last one, but it's still in theatres & opening in 4D in October.

DarkSpade

• Major
In spite of the best efforts of crunchyroll's new video player to stop me, I manged to watch the first episode of We Never Learn.  Going to keep going with this one.  After all, it'll give me something to do while I wait the several months for the next manga to come out*.   Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong, but it does seem to do things a little out of order form the manga, but nothing I was after was missing so I'm cool with it.   Really wish there was a dub though.  I still hate subtitles.

EDIT: and I could have sworn Kobayashi was a girl in the manga.

Also, does all of Japan look like that, or does this take place in the same neighborhood as Ranma 1/2?

*my niece manages to always get into mangas that release every month, but somehow everything that grabs my attention only releases every third blue moon. since she uses my Barnes and Noble membership I get regular e-mails letting me know her books are out to the point that they rarely give me a heads up about what I'm reading.
« Last Edit: 29 September 2019, 12:32:28 by DarkSpade »

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
And I need to rewatch it some time.

Ruger

Started rewatching G Gundam this morning, and got the first volume of the Gundam Thunderbolt manga this afternoon.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

kato

• Captain
Also, does all of Japan look like that, or does this take place in the same neighborhood as Ranma 1/2?
Nerima is about the most classic anime trope as a setting.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Second film hit Japanese theaters in June. I don't think it'll stay in theaters as long as the last one, but it's still in theatres & opening in 4D in October.

It's a film? I thought it was an ova series.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel

Nerima is about the most classic anime trope as a setting.

To expand on Kato's comment - Nerima Ward in Tokyo is home to several major anime studios, including Studio Silver - Bokuben's animators. It's a simple matter of drawing what you see.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
GuP has got OVAs too. I have a BD with a number of short ones. Match with Anzio not included :(
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

DarkSpade

• Major
GuP has got OVAs too. I have a BD with a number of short ones. Match with Anzio not included :(

That's the other OVA.  The shorts were originally included one at a time as an extra with each of the japanese releases of the blu ray.  From what I read they were stuck buying them two episodes at a time instead of a full season on two discs like we got.  We have to buy the shorts separate, but I still think we came out ahead.

kato

• Captain
From what I read they were stuck buying them two episodes at a time instead of a full season on two discs like we got.
That's the normal way DVDs/BDs are published in Japan.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General

That's because the Anzio battle ova hadn't been made when the first collection was published.

DarkSpade

• Major
That's the normal way DVDs/BDs are published in Japan.

That seems like a huge waste of disk space.  It was understandable when it happened here back in the days of VHS, but I think I'd have abandoned anime a long time ago if that had continued.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
It's a blatant cash grab. IIRC, Bandai tried to force Bandai USA to do the same thing in the US and it brought the company down.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
It's a blatant cash grab. IIRC, Bandai tried to force Bandai USA to do the same thing in the US and it brought the company down.

It was absolute idiocy. They managed to sell a handful of US fans on buying the Gundam Unicorn BDs at Japanese price-points & they decided that was proof they could do it with any property. The things people will due for a six (when announced) episode series for a legendary legacy series with a global fan base & top-shelf hand-drawn mecha animation does not translate into things like, say, Sacred Seven, which we STILL haven't gotten a US release for!  xp

DarkSpade

• Major
So much for just watching a couple episodes and then doing something productive with my day.   I'm guessing we won't be seeing another season of We Never Learn for awhile.  I don't know how far along it is in japan, but the show's all caught up with the English release of the manga.  A quick flip through the last book and I noticed they did skip more than a few stories.  If they keep that up I imagine there'll be lengthy lulls between seasons as they wait for the manga to get ahead.  It's turning Rizu into a side character too.

Register