Author Topic: Merc Dropships  (Read 6706 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: Merc Dropships
« Reply #30 on: 11 November 2018, 22:53:42 »
There's low tech and there's low tech. There's nothing in the rules to differentiate between a boring old succession wars transit drive and the high end transit drive of the Confederate, but the difference is there, and it was enough to render the Confederate extinct while the Leopard lived on.

(now we would probably represent such differences with design quirks, positive or negative. The Confederate might have qualified for nonstandard parts and/or obsolete to account for its fancier guts)

Rebuilding a Confederate using a simpler drive would probably have been rather easy, but it seems like by the point it came up, virtually every dropship was essentially lostech and the only ones still being built were the ones that still had intact construction yards and sources of parts. Building all new designs was wishful thinking.

Once they could build them again, well, they already had all of these leopards.

Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #31 on: 12 November 2018, 00:09:12 »
I think the Confederate has the advantage IIRC b/c it is a spheriod.  I think smaller forces or conventional work ok with aerodynes but spheriods give you tactical & strategic options.

Spheroid has certain advantages, but, when your spheroid just lost all its factories & identical (in transport capacity) twin Aerodyne still has 1/2 dozen shipyards going, well, its not THAT big of an advantage v/s having to build new factories or find some functional blueprints in the wreckage of shipyards, etc etc,

Its possible they could have used a similar drive, but they tried that with the Fortress IIRC & it was only partially effective & left you with a ship that by fluff ended up being very fuel inefficient IIRC.

I like the Confederate a lot, but I get why its extinct outside of C*
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #32 on: 12 November 2018, 03:51:32 »
Huh, I didn't know that the Vulture was on any RAT tables.  That does change my perception of it admittedly, since I thought it would be impossible to repair.  Personally, as both a GM and player, I love the "character potential" of the Vulture and Black Eagle.  The primitive armor and components mean that you probably won't be running many ASF gauntlets, but for a merc unit in the Periphery, where ASF are less common depending on the time and place, they could work pretty well.

It's not on RATs but is on the MUL; at least the Cargo and "Modern" versions are. I have been trying to find a use for one as a "character" ship myself, but I don't have the opportunity at the moment.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #33 on: 12 November 2018, 10:43:22 »
It's not on RATs but is on the MUL; at least the Cargo and "Modern" versions are. I have been trying to find a use for one as a "character" ship myself, but I don't have the opportunity at the moment.

Really?  Good for a mystery raider IMO- lands with BA, foot infantry, 4 hovertanks and 8 transport/cargo hovers (something like the Saladin [Cargo]) . . . the problem is how to show off 'Kilroy Was Here 2455' etched into the ship somewhere.

Lol- Green Ghosts!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #34 on: 13 November 2018, 10:05:42 »
As a fresh mercenary wannabe unit, your best option is to pay for transit with your combat units as bulk cargo, mothballed for transit.  You're probably going to be operating as an auxiliary to some House unit, occupying some less-useful corner of their base camp.  They should normally give you sufficient time to unload and get your units combat-ready again before you're assigned to actual duties, especially for garrison contracts or pirate hunting operations.

If you're planning on making combat drops, travelling as cargo obviously won't work, and few independent dropship captains/owners would be willing to take that risk for less than you're making on the entire contract....which means you either need your own dropship or can't take combat drop missions from any party that can't/won't supply one for the mission.

My preference in the OP's situation would be something along the lines of a Seeker dropship.  It's reasonably common, with numerous variants, some of which have been adapted to hold a lance of 'Mechs in addition to vehicles and useful quantities of supplies and other cargo (which you'll appreciate if/when you salvage several hundred tons of potentially repairable equipment, but don't have time/money to fix and sell it before the end of the contract).  That's the kind of mix that suits sustained operations, rather than quick "smash and grab" raids, although it's a bit weak on armament if it gets attacked.  Another plus is its speed, as it can keep pace with a Leopard, or keep its distance from a wing of heavy fighters sent to intercept it in orbit.

Another valid option would be a dedicated cargo hauler like a common Mule, taking mainly defensive or garrison contracts where you have time to unload safely before suddenly finding yourself on the front lines.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #35 on: 13 November 2018, 21:33:59 »
Another valid option would be a dedicated cargo hauler like a common Mule, taking mainly defensive or garrison contracts where you have time to unload safely before suddenly finding yourself on the front lines.

This is what I did with the 1 roll for DS in the Unit Creation rules.  It was the biggest ship with the easiest dice role.  It can move an entire regiment as cargo.

Sure, its near useless for Raiding, but it gets you to all your Garrison contracts & can take side jobs while your on garrison for 2 years.

It even works for Planetary Assault where you are in support of a house unit as long as you hop on board combat carriers for the final jump in if you are in the first wave.

If on the other hand you are pure support coming in to secure areas after the House units do the major assaults then it still works for that.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #36 on: 13 November 2018, 23:01:54 »
In our longest running tabletop/rpg campaign we had a civilian version of the Union. It could carry mechs strapped in and not boxed as cargo, but couldn't fit repair bays nor had the equipment or capacity to run drop operations. For repairs we had 4 modular field repair gantries we could set up in the bay when landed or more often outside in the temp base.
While the unit owned the ship (salvage from a mission) we had to hire contract crews on a mission by mission basis, only the captain a dispossessed aerospace jock was a member of the unit. This meant the crew and gunners could never advance past Green rating. Needless to say we did NOT use the ship in action!! We'd park her a long long way from the fight and hoof in!! 😁

Register