Author Topic: Some questions about the game Battletech  (Read 317 times)

SigridLehner

• Recruit
    • tunnel rush
Some questions about the game Battletech
« on: 23 February 2024, 20:44:36 »
I'm a new player of Battletech and I'm interested in learning more about the game mechanics and rules. I have the Beginner Box and the A Game of Armored Combat Box, and I've played a few scenarios with my friends. I have some questions that I hope someone can answer:

a) How do I calculate the heat level of my mech and what are the effects of overheating?

b) How do I use the critical hit tables and what are the chances of hitting a specific component?

MOD Note
Moved from the MegaMek sub-forum to a more appropriate part of the board.[/color]
« Last Edit: 23 February 2024, 21:25:39 by Hammer »

Southernskies

• Master Sergeant
Re: Some questions about the game Battletech
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2024, 20:48:11 »
Hi,
if you are talking about in-person games, this is not really the right part of the forum, as it is specifically about using the MegaMek digital (which automatically calculates all of that).

The paper rulebook should have step-by-step instructions to follow.

Short answers:
a)  add heat from moving and firing weapons, remove heat equal to heatsinks
b)  roll 2d6 for crit (8+ is one or more crits), the follow the instructions on how to roll for what slot it hit

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2024, 20:48:37 »
This is the forum area for MegaMek, the computer implementation of BattleTech - you seem to be asking questions about BattleTech in general, which are probably better suited to another channel. However, the answers are also in the BattleTech rules (either 'Total Warfare' or 'BattleMech Manual', depending on which you are using.

In brief ...
a) Heat builds up each turn, based on your movement speed and the weapons you fire. The effects of overheating are detailed in the rules.
b) You roll for location when hit, and if the armour is gone, or if a through-armour critical is acheived, you roll on the relevant critical hit table. Again, this is detailed in the rules.

Heh. Ninja'd.
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Eisenwolf

• Sergeant
  • Martius Lupus
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2024, 01:42:08 »
a) How do I calculate the heat level of my mech and what are the effects of overheating?

b) How do I use the critical hit tables and what are the chances of hitting a specific component?

Hi, and welcome to the game and forum.

First let me ask you a question. Are you still using the record sheets of the beginner box set?
If so then your confusion Is understandable and you should totally switch to the record sheets that come with the AGoAC box!

a) for the calculation see Southernsky's answer.
The effects show up on the heat data table of the record sheet that can be found on the lower right corner, adjacent to the heat scale.

b) Southernsky and Simon Landmine answered thus question allready perfectly.

I hope you can see it clearer now.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2024, 15:10:45 »
I'm a new player of Battletech and I'm interested in learning more about the game mechanics and rules. I have the Beginner Box and the A Game of Armored Combat Box, and I've played a few scenarios with my friends. I have some questions that I hope someone can answer:

For an example.  I am running a War hammer 6d (standard one in an introduction boxed set).  It has two PPCs, 2 Medium lasers and 2 small lasers.  IF I fire both PPC's, and one of the medium lasers, that gives me 23 heat i have generated.  +1 if i walked.  However, it carries 20 heat sinks, so can "DISSAPATE" 20 of that 24 heat i generated.. So i go to 4 on the overheat chart.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.