Author Topic: Standard Framework for an adventure  (Read 1276 times)

landryan

• Recruit
Standard Framework for an adventure
« on: 11 October 2014, 07:28:50 »
One of the problematic things I've had with the Battletech RPG is the lack of published adventures - I normally prefer not to start from scratch but pick up a published adventure and modify it. Time and time again, I've suffered massive writers block when faced with a blank page. As I am embarking on penning my fifth home-grown adventure, I'm wondering how people structure their adventures? What is the standard BT RPG formula? What would a fully-written adventure look like in terms of structure, layout, information provided etc.?

If anyone can come up with a standard skeleton formula for BT RPG adventures, it would really help me get started on laying the flesh on the bones.

cheers
Landryan

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: Standard Framework for an adventure
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2014, 13:42:37 »
first have you seen any of the adventures that have been published?

usually they seem to use what palladium calls the "hook, line, sinker" approach
basically the "hook" is the premise for the adventure
the Line is what the charactors "know" or are told.
the sinker is the "complications" that may arise.

most "adventures" are a series of these to make an overall story or arc.

landryan

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2014, 10:38:50 »
I've been some of the old 2nd edition mechwarrior adventures, but I'm uncertain about the format for a modern AToW game.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2014, 18:54:46 »
Format is going to be similar. Its not really something that changes from system to system. Its pretty much basic across all RPGs.

Mission, Complication, Conclusion at its most basic.

What are they going to do? what's going to try to prevent them from doing what they want to do? How do they handle it and move on? That's it at its most basic.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2014, 15:40:24 »
Even the older Mechwarrior books (RPGs not novels, but then again...) have that structure in them.
Chapter starts off on some world, things are set up for that chapter, complications can come up, resolution happens.
I wish I had the time to convert the old MW RPG books to AToW modifiers and such.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.