Author Topic: a question for the panel...  (Read 2469 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
a question for the panel...
« on: 14 April 2018, 06:13:39 »
it's 305-something, you're a House Lord, you have been given a 'golden ticket' to procure a fleet of Aerospace fighters without regards to whether they're in current production or not, and you've got the Clans on your border.

so...you can buy anything manufactured in the Inner Sphere up to 3059, and you can buy a LOT of it, but it h as to be one type, a single variant, can't be OMNI, and can't date from AFTER 3059.

YOu're going to be able to replace your entire fighter-force with this...

what're you buying, and why?
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: a question for the panel...
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2018, 09:09:45 »
Ironsides-SD2

Because I can use the three LL's repeatedly in strafing mode, not to mention the missile spam!

Plus the extra loiter time and deep ammo bay.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2018, 22:49:50 »
I have always been a fan of the Slayer. And in your Era range the SL-15R.

6(9), lots of Armor, lots of Fuel, LB-10-X, Lots of Medium Lasers, decent bomb load. The Medium Lasers Should be easily swapable with Clan Salvage if you fight them, and the LB-X can be swapped with Clan LB-X, Gauss Rifles or ER-PPC, with extra room for more ammo. Existing variants also allow swapping the nose mounted Autocannon with Missiles, so that variant could be replicated with Salvage as well.

320 Engines are common, Medium Lasers are common and easily upgraded in your time period, Standard Heat Sinks are common and easily upgraded in your time period. Production occurs in multiple factories in multiple realms, and precursor designs are common on the Merc market, so you have supplies, replacement parts from multiple sources. The only AdvTech upgrade is the LB-X, everything else is SW tech. It's also basically a Flagship design for the Kuritans, the OA has them and makes them as well.

By no means optimized, but a good trooper design that can fulfill multiple roles, and a design that is easily tweaked and modified for different weapons and roles, From Air Superiority, fighter Bomber, Dropship Popper, and Strafing.

It is like the Thunderbolt of ASFs

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2018, 16:18:07 »
 I enjoy the Royal Sabre, Royal Stuka, Royal Corsair...........so a toss up as to which one I would pick. But I would probably choose the Royal Corsair.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2018, 16:26:05 »
A lot of strange parameters in the premise.

Are you sure you aren't just meaning to ask what's the best fighter for Clanbusting in the early Clan Invasion Era?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2018, 18:25:47 »
So my honest first instinct is the MK-39-004 Voidseeker Interceptor.

It's a drone with shielded SRCS, so you don't have to worry about training a pilot or being disrupted by ECM. It's energy based so you don't have to pay for munitions. And it's pretty tough and quicker than most fighters its size.

I'd have to think about it more if the SRCS doesn't fit with the spirit of the question.

A lot of strange parameters in the premise.

Are you sure you aren't just meaning to ask what's the best fighter for Clanbusting in the early Clan Invasion Era?

Does it matter?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2018, 18:44:49 »
Does it matter?
Kind of, yeah.  Since there's so many parameters to the scenario it's become two different questions.  It seems unclear to me which question the OP is asking, hence my asking about clarification.

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2018, 18:59:57 »

6(9), lots of Armor, lots of Fuel, LB-10-X, Lots of Medium Lasers, decent bomb load. The Medium Lasers Should be easily swapable with Clan Salvage if you fight them, and the LB-X can be swapped with Clan LB-X, Gauss Rifles or ER-PPC, with extra room for more ammo. Existing variants also allow swapping the nose mounted Autocannon with Missiles, so that variant could be replicated with Salvage as well.

320 Engines are common, Medium Lasers are common and easily upgraded in your time period, Standard Heat Sinks are common and easily upgraded in your time period. Production occurs in multiple factories in multiple realms, and precursor designs are common on the Merc market, so you have supplies, replacement parts from multiple sources. The only AdvTech upgrade is the LB-X, everything else is SW tech. It's also basically a Flagship design for the Kuritans, the OA has them and makes them as well.

By no means optimized, but a good trooper design that can fulfill multiple roles, and a design that is easily tweaked and modified for different weapons and roles, From Air Superiority, fighter Bomber, Dropship Popper, and Strafing.

agreed, and much better upgraded with Clan tech
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2018, 19:47:29 »
Agreed on the Slayer.  If its to be my whole aeroforce, it needs to be flexible, reliable, and sustainable.  Maintenance alone on an entire aerospace of, say, Eisensturms (or their non-omni equivalent in this scenario) is a daunting idea.

Tyrchon

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 16 April 2018, 11:09:10 »
Well if I could get an Aerospace drone under the circumstances then I would probably select the Voidseeker Striker.  However, if we are talking about manned Aerospace Fighters only then I have to go with the RPR-100b Rapier.  Both give good flexibility in that they can do nearly every job wanted of an ASF well, from dog-fighting to attacks on large craft to ground support operations.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2018, 16:12:24 »

agreed. and further, the advTech upgrade was a simple swap from a standard AC, so if supplies of the LBX run low you could probably retrofit back to the standard model.. which is still a very capable design in its own right.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 18 April 2018, 22:58:33 »
you may scream at me, but I think I would go with either a Chippewa W5, or an advanced tech upgrade of it.
so lets look at what the stock model has:
its a 90 ton (heavy) fighter, its 5/8 thrust so not particularly fast (boo) but its got 5 tons of fuel its rather light on armor with only 7.5 tons but its got 25 heat sinks
now we look at the weapons:
2 lrm 15's sharing 4 tons of ammo, 4 large lasers, 2 on each wing, 2 rear medium lasers, 2 mediums mounted in the nose, and an srm 6 with 1 ton of ammo
I don't care what era it is that's a LOT of firepower.
now if you could specify that you are working from that design, and able to throw advanced tech at it...
I would either replace the lasers with ers, or upgrade them to ppc's if I upgraded to ER's I would remove 5 heatsinks upgrade them to DHS and use the extra weight to thicken up the armor, AND replace it with ferro-aluminum
if I was going the ppc route I would also pull the 5 dhs, and most likely the srm6, to mount my 4 standard PPC's and I think 1 ton of extra armor, which I would also upgrade to ferro-Aluminum.

Register