Author Topic: DCMS Garrison of New Avalon 3147  (Read 7265 times)

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
DCMS Garrison of New Avalon 3147
« on: 05 July 2020, 04:55:27 »
Do we know what Kurita regiments are garrisoning the conquered capital of the Federated Suns. Had an idea for a short story set on occupied New Avalon but not sure if it will work depending on what regiments the DCMS has stationed there...
« Last Edit: 05 July 2020, 04:59:22 by Billy Boy Mark II »

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
Re: DCMS Garrison of New Avalon 3147
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2020, 07:58:23 »
Looking at Shattered Fortress, the 3146 invasion of New Avalon was undertaken by the 5th Sword of the Light, the 2nd Genoyasha, and the Ryuken-hachi, supported by Wolf's Dragoons. There's no indication in the text that any of these were shifted off planet that I can see, but that's only a cursory read.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2020, 08:18:43 »
Looking at Shattered Fortress, the 3146 invasion of New Avalon was undertaken by the 5th Sword of the Light, the 2nd Genoyasha, and the Ryuken-hachi, supported by Wolf's Dragoons. There's no indication in the text that any of these were shifted off planet that I can see, but that's only a cursory read.

Well, we know Wolf’s Dragoon’s get....transferred elsewhere.  Those two regiments, while storied, won’t be enough to hold it......

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2020, 09:16:36 »
I would imagine that the 5th Sword of Light, 2nd Genyosha and the Ryuken-hachi at lest will remain as a permanent garrison. Probably pretty chewed up by the fighting as well.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2020, 10:39:57 »
Well, we know Wolf’s Dragoon’s get....transferred elsewhere.

But what Dragoons?  They had Gamma, Alpha was a shell, and Beta was a training command . . . Redemption Rift was indicating they were sending out the combined arms Striker Battalions instead of Mech regiments.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Onion2112

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2020, 06:41:03 »
Beta is front line, according to FM:3145 & ER:3145; but Alpha is basically a Training/Depot Regt - although it has one combat ready battalion - Black Cats - who I only realized recently were in Gamma Regt pre-Jihad

Would love to see the Dark Age WD line Regts fleshed our a bit more - from Redemption Rift I got the impression Gamma was combined arms - not to the level of the Strikers though - but this could also just be mission specific ad hoc combined arms.

The Assault to retake New Avalon will be an interesting read,, the Recovered Davion Assault Guards RCT would have to lead the way probably along with New Avalon CrMM & maybe 1st Crucis Lancers RCT (it is both their home world after all)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #6 on: 10 July 2020, 09:04:46 »
Beta was still understrength like Alpha in Redemption Rift . . . now the Divided novel gives us a battalion of Beta located with Gamma, but it does not say if that is the majority of Beta's force.  The three Striker Battalions (or was it 4?) were not mentioned at all.  The Strikers are just like the Invasion Wolf 37th Striker Cluster which was integrated trinaries as part of a Scorpion idea that the Wolves brought in after the Dragoons were trained- they trialed for the Dinour warrior IIRC, and even others in that line.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2020, 09:44:48 »
I think I've missed something kinda important...
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2020, 09:51:45 »
As far as the Dragoons--they won't be on New Avalon.....

Unless I read Divided We Fall wrong, sooner or later the entire organization will be with the Wolves on Terra, fighting the Jade Falcons.

That means the Ryuken, Sword of Light, and 2nd Genyosha are the only Combine mech forces on planet.  While the Sword of Light and Ryuken are rated as elite, both are at 65% strength as of 3145.  The 2nd Genyosha are Veteran rated and at 75% strength.  I would guess during the occupation of New Avalon all of them are similarly understrength in 3151. 

So you have a very high quality of occupying forces, about 6 battalions of mechs total, with supporting forces to boot. Somehow, I'm feeling optimistic that 3151 will be a very poor year for those Kuritan forces on New Avalon.

Onion2112

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2020, 11:19:26 »
When you subtly said transferred I thought that was clear enough :)

The bulk of Wolf’s Dragoons were further back in the tongue I think anyway.

Given the Combine losses to the republic plus the Bears starting to wake up a sensible Kanrei might consider withdrawing from (or abandoning) the tongue.

But I hope we don’t get that story, I’d rather read about a massive liberating offensive designed by Julian Davion and Erik Sandoval.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2020, 12:23:45 »
But I hope we don’t get that story, I’d rather read about a massive liberating offensive designed by Julian Davion and Erik Sandoval.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #11 on: 12 July 2020, 13:39:38 »
Given the Combine losses to the republic plus the Bears starting to wake up a sensible Kanrei might consider withdrawing from (or abandoning) the tongue.

I'd imagine that the Kanrei will tell the DCMS garrison to hold New Avalon for the "honor of the Coordinator." A popular revolt and the return of the AFFS will probably retake New Avalon

Dr. Banzai

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • I am not the Dr. Banzai from Facebook/Youtube.
« Reply #12 on: 12 July 2020, 13:52:01 »
I'd like to toss in that any descendants of Team Banzai/New Avalon Cavaliers are probably having some guerilla fights throughout the occupation... At least in my head-canon, they are! :D

I am not the Dr. Banzai from Facebook/Youtube. That person is a hateful person that does not represent the spirit of Buckaroo Banzai nor its fandom.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #13 on: 12 July 2020, 14:26:33 »
I'd like to toss in that any descendants of Team Banzai/New Avalon Cavaliers are probably having some guerilla fights throughout the occupation... At least in my head-canon, they are! :D

Per Shattered Fortress . . . the population count of New Avalon will be significantly lower.
Colt Ward

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2020, 15:46:12 »

Even just family members of the Davion Guards, New Avalon CrMM, etc... Would likely be rather anti-Kurita and prepared to shoot DCMS troopers on sight or at least stick a knife in them when they are alone on patrol...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #15 on: 13 July 2020, 15:51:04 »
Even just family members of the Davion Guards, New Avalon CrMM, etc... Would likely be rather anti-Kurita and prepared to shoot DCMS troopers on sight or at least stick a knife in them when they are alone on patrol...

Dude, the Black Frock Brigade should exist- the Kuritans executed New Avalon's Pope and College of Cardinals.  The Kuritans seemed to go straight to executions on different various grounds- I wonder if they would have set up concentration camps for AFFS veterans that retired on planet.
Colt Ward

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #16 on: 13 July 2020, 16:36:55 »
Per Shattered Fortress . . . the population count of New Avalon will be significantly lower.

Considering time that has past from Jihad that doesn't surprise me. Wobbies had habit of killing lot of civilians during Jihad and they did invade New Avalon as well.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #17 on: 13 July 2020, 16:40:54 »
Considering time that has past from Jihad that doesn't surprise me. Wobbies had habit of killing lot of civilians during Jihad and they did invade New Avalon as well.

Huh?  We are talking about the Dracs occupying New Avalon in 3147 and going cultural genocide on 'Davion' culture.  In the 70-odd years since the Blakists were ejected, I would have expected the population of a capital (which attracts immigration) to have increased.  Even the Blakists, at least by the PoV character in Isle of the Blessed who wanted the Houses erased did not actually document any wide spread erasure of 'Davion' symbols.

Did the Dracs cut down enough natives to dip it back or below the Jihad level?  Probably.
Colt Ward

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #18 on: 13 July 2020, 16:59:22 »
It's possible if writers are making DCMS straight up bad guys. That said it would be out of character for DCMS to do as it would go against they code of honor. Or did they forget that DCMS even has that code of honor and that they are likely to commit ritual suicide after that. Just look at what happened after Kentares IV massacre and you see that it's out of character for them.   
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #19 on: 13 July 2020, 17:03:21 »
It's possible if writers are making DCMS straight up bad guys. That said it would be out of character for DCMS to do as it would go against they code of honor. Or did they forget that DCMS even has that code of honor and that they are likely to commit ritual suicide after that. Just look at what happened after Kentares IV massacre and you see that it's out of character for them.

The Warlord raised Yori with a strict attention to Takashi style Bushido . . . but yeah, they have been killing people though remember Shattered Fortress is a RotS intel doc written by Lakewood.

Off the top of my head the DCMS has-
Killed the NA Pope & College
Slaughtered everyone on Robinson involved in a Mech factory work stopage
executed prisoners- or refused to take prisoners- on a few occasions
I think they have executed some political enemies

However notably they declined to invade Kentares.

BUT . . . fear not Drac fans, the Cappies are doing much worse.
Colt Ward

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #20 on: 13 July 2020, 21:26:06 »
That's all pretty standard Drac stuff, though, right? Like, basic Dictum Honorium stuff? Let's not pretend that the Theodore/Hohiro-era wasn't an aberration from the norm.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 13 July 2020, 22:33:00 »
Oh yeah, its a definite rollback of the Theodore reforms- part of the Warlord's destroying that Kurita line.  But yeah, its Kentares 2.0 . . .
Colt Ward

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 22 July 2020, 09:14:17 »
Being a DCMS soldier in the New Avalon garrison is probably one of the most stressful assignments ever.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #23 on: 22 July 2020, 10:30:21 »
Robinson was probably worse . . . New Avalon would not have been as prepared.
Colt Ward

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 22 July 2020, 11:14:30 »
So my question is this:  it is January in 3151, and Wolf's Dragoons are packing their ships and headed off of New Avalon and the rest of the 'Dragon's Tongue" region of space.  You are the DCMS High Command (or whatever they are called) and both the symbol of an occupied New Avalon and the war material produced there are EXTREMELY valuable to you.

Do you double down and send more DCMS units to help the Genyosha/SoL/Ryuken hold the planet?

Do you go full on scorched earth and start razing the cities and manufacturing centers?

Or, perhaps worse, go back to post Kentares Massacre thinking and engage in "last stand" mentality heroics?

I think if Davion forces are able to land a sizable amount of troops on planet, especially with Avalon Hussar or Davion Brigade of Guards formations at their head, the populace is going to rise up like no one's business.

What do you all think the DCMS would do in this situation?

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 22 July 2020, 11:28:24 »
Dude, the Black Frock Brigade should exist- the Kuritans executed New Avalon's Pope and College of Cardinals.  The Kuritans seemed to go straight to executions on different various grounds- I wonder if they would have set up concentration camps for AFFS veterans that retired on planet.
I feel like the Knights Defensor may have some feelings about the Kuritans butchering the Pope and Cardinals.  (At least I hope so, my canon character submission for the Kickstarter assumes they do).

Deus Vult!
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 22 July 2020, 11:41:30 »
Being a DCMS soldier in the New Avalon garrison is probably one of the most stressful assignments ever.

It would be as terrible as AFFS Luthien garrison if FS was able to capture Luthien. While the capital of the sworn enemy is a priceless trophy of war, it is also one of the most dangerous poison pill as well.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 22 July 2020, 11:41:38 »
The Kuritans would need millions and millions of troops to pacify New Avalon, a world of billions. Unless they plan another Kentares Massacre, I don't see this as a peaceful occupation
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 22 July 2020, 11:45:21 »
The Kuritans would need millions and millions of troops to pacify New Avalon, a world of billions. Unless they plan another Kentares Massacre, I don't see this as a peaceful occupation

After all both kuritans and davions are the archenemy of each other.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #29 on: 22 July 2020, 12:29:18 »

It has not been?  Like I said, they executed the core of the leadership for the New Avalon Catholic Church- because it was not 'Japanese' culture.  Anything Davion has been destroyed- monuments, public buildings, streets renamed, and whatever else could be linked resulting in cultural genocide.

Like I said, I have to wonder if the Dracs instituted concentration camps for retired/captured AFFS & Intel agency personnel on planet.  It is the capital, it should have a LOT of those two types even if Erik evacuated with a lot, they would not have the capacity to lift everyone.
Colt Ward

Register