Author Topic: Upcoming Releases Volume XIV: Aw, what's in the box!!?  (Read 167195 times)

Greatclub

• Captain
Re: Upcoming Releases Volume XIV: Aw, what's in the box!!?
« Reply #150 on: 22 February 2019, 21:11:03 »
Can I ask for an update on the new printing of TacOps? I've got a sparring partner who needs one.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #151 on: 22 February 2019, 21:30:03 »
Tac Ops was one of my favorite books.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #152 on: 23 February 2019, 08:20:53 »
Thing is though,  your minis never become "unseen"  The only case where they've retroed art, is those few cases where they've *had* to.  And even then,  the minis aren't "unseen".  Unlike games like 40K (as an example), Battletech doesn't worry too much about what the mini on the tabletop looks like, because it' the record sheet that defines what the unit is, not the mini.

Yes,  there are circumstances where minis can't be used, like in the case of Demo Agents not being permitted to use the old "Unseen" for official games.  But in unofficial/home games?  Bet your *** I will break out my old waddly big-gun Thunderbolt (even though I love Mr. Scroggins's  redone one too!)

I look forward to seeing some of the designs redrawn,  and maybe even someday being able to get legal minis of them when he does them.  But doesn't mean if someone brought an old Awesome or Commando sculpt to the table I wouldn't let them use it.

I've never played a an "official game" so forgive me for not knowing this, do you have to bring your own minis or does the agent have minis enough for everyone?  If I have to bring my own and my Orion Mini has become unseen, does that mean I can't use it?

If all or even most of the old Units are going to be getting new art, does that mean that TROs are going to be reprinted rendering the old designs illegal or will they have their own book like TRO: Phoenix Project keeping the older designs still legal?

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #153 on: 23 February 2019, 08:52:16 »
I've never played a an "official game" so forgive me for not knowing this, do you have to bring your own minis or does the agent have minis enough for everyone?  If I have to bring my own and my Orion Mini has become unseen, does that mean I can't use it?

If all or even most of the old Units are going to be getting new art, does that mean that TROs are going to be reprinted rendering the old designs illegal or will they have their own book like TRO: Phoenix Project keeping the older designs still legal?
For every event that I have attended, the Commando Demo Agent has supplied the minis. If they did not have the correct mini for a unit in the game, like a Templar mini before they were sculpted, the mini was proxied. Your Orion will never become Unseen. The Unseen became so because of legal reasons, not updated style reasons. After those legal reasons happened, FASA, FanPro, and now CGL made it a policy to use only in-house artwork. This means that they definitely own the artwork and won't face legal challenges over them. The updated artwork we are seeing is only updated artwork. If you look at every depiction of a 'Mech over time, none are exactly the same. Some are close and some are quite stylized. That doesn't render any previous version unusable.

The powers that be have stated the Classic/nuSeen artwork will be added to products where it makes sense and that they will not have their own TRO. I have seen no statement about other updated artwork like the Orion, but I suspect it will be dealt with the same way.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2019, 16:47:03 by Cache »

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #154 on: 23 February 2019, 09:22:36 »

Demo Agents will always have minis for players to use.  In some cases (like some events at our FLGS) we do have players bring minis if they want to use them, but we will always have more to use, and even if we can't match exactly what they want to use,  we will happily proxy.  For the big convention events, Demo Agents will provide everything, even dice and pencils if you need them.  The only thing we aren't allowed to have on the tables at "official events" (ones run by an Agent at a store or other appropriate venue) are the old Unseen dealt with by the lawsuit.  But those are an extremely special and limited case.  So even if, say, they release a new Orion using the new art,  your old Orion will still be fine for play.

(and LOLing a little at Cache calling us Commandos... for everyone else's info, that was the previous Agent program when FanPro had the license)

(
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #155 on: 23 February 2019, 15:56:55 »
Commandos were cooler name
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #156 on: 23 February 2019, 16:46:10 »
(and LOLing a little at Cache calling us Commandos... for everyone else's info, that was the previous Agent program when FanPro had the license)
I think that's how long it's been since I was able to attend.  :D

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #157 on: 23 February 2019, 17:07:04 »

And you do not want to know how many Commandos went commando . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #158 on: 23 February 2019, 17:18:31 »
And you do not want to know how many Commandos went commando . . .

While piloting their Commandos
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #159 on: 23 February 2019, 19:21:30 »
While piloting their Commandos

While watching Commando
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #160 on: 23 February 2019, 19:39:32 »
If you’re lucky the venue has an upright cabinet of capcom’s smash arcade hit Commando
« Last Edit: 23 February 2019, 19:46:18 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #161 on: 23 February 2019, 23:35:24 »
Weren't you folk Marauders at one point? Or was that MFUS?

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #162 on: 24 February 2019, 00:50:37 »

Snip

Snip

Thank you both. Its good to know that they'll have minis available and proxies will be accepted. I still have concerns though.  I know art can vary depending on the artist but the new art looks so different from the old that I wouldn't know what it was if it wasn't labeled. And with the way some people are the older ones become invalid. That's why I asked in something officialvwould be said for why unitscate being redesigned. They be always been that way or its an in universe marketing desicion?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #163 on: 24 February 2019, 03:42:12 »
Commandos were cooler name
It was, but Agent works well as a play on words with Catalyst (Catalytic Agent)
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

caioaf

• Sergeant
« Reply #164 on: 24 February 2019, 07:39:06 »
Why aren't you talking about Forever Faithful? The book was released yesterday and is amazing!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #165 on: 24 February 2019, 08:24:04 »
My order is in for the paperback, i saw the Anvil / Splinter of Hope dualogy in paper back placed order too.  I'll get it by end next week. I can't wait!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #166 on: 24 February 2019, 10:48:11 »
My order is in for the paperback, i saw the Anvil / Splinter of Hope dualogy in paper back placed order too.  I'll get it by end next week. I can't wait!

This but for me its next week when I get paid... and maybe my tax refund comes in

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #167 on: 24 February 2019, 11:33:17 »
Why aren't you talking about Forever Faithful? The book was released yesterday and is amazing!

Waiting for a new Kindle and my next paycheck.
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #168 on: 24 February 2019, 11:43:10 »
Makes me happy to see something like this, but also sad because I can't be a part of it. Patreon is dead to me. Other options to participate would be appreciated.
What is wrong with Patreon?

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #169 on: 24 February 2019, 12:32:09 »
I really like the new orion being shown.  It even has the SRM in the torso!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #170 on: 24 February 2019, 12:33:35 »
What is wrong with Patreon?
I think, they changed the rules how Patreon worked. I saw alot of my web comic strips move away from the platform.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #171 on: 24 February 2019, 12:51:57 »
They tried (and ultimately failed) to change the fee structure at the end of 2017.  The creators I support didn't leave Patreon, but one of them helped lead the charge to get the original billing method restored.  The fact that they even tried what many perceived to a be cash grab left a lot of bad feelings.  Personally, I think the whole episode served as a pointed reminder of who they actually support.  If you need more details, PM me.

[/threadjack]

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #172 on: 24 February 2019, 13:20:42 »

I'm another in the "ordered the print edition and waiting for it to ship" camp.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #173 on: 24 February 2019, 13:22:36 »
I'm another in the "ordered the print edition and waiting for it to ship" camp.
Link? Please.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #174 on: 24 February 2019, 13:37:16 »
Link? Please.

I ordered the POD version on Amazon.  If you search for it on there you can select to purchase a Kindle or Paperback edition.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #175 on: 24 February 2019, 13:44:42 »
Yeah you search Battletech forever faithful and both options will come up

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #177 on: 25 February 2019, 05:08:25 »
For those keeping count, the order for POD copies of Forever Faithful and A Splinter of Hope/The Nail I placed on Saturday shipped today. Not bad.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #178 on: 25 February 2019, 15:38:51 »
Just started Forever Faithful . . . went from End Game where Victor was looking to the future after learning he & Omi had a kid . . . to Victor looking back on the past.  Quite appropriate but a little surprising to make that sort of jump between two books and find such a smooth tie in.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #179 on: 26 February 2019, 11:28:42 »
Okay, folks, get back on topic.