Author Topic: Mechwarrior (reboot)  (Read 46699 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Mechwarrior (reboot)
« Reply #180 on: 05 November 2011, 16:27:32 »
Anyone still bitching about "Pay to Win" or similar crap, go play World of Tanks for three tiers, and get back to me.

Buying items, even entirely different chassis/designs does not unfavorably imbalance the game any more than a normal chassis/design in the hands of a good pilot.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
« Reply #181 on: 05 November 2011, 17:27:30 »
Absolutely correct!

Cergorach

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #182 on: 05 November 2011, 18:59:19 »
What is this obsession folks have with winning? While winning is nice, it's whether I played a fun game that is important to me, win or loose. If you want to spend $100-$1000 on better stuff then I have, go for it, if it gives you an edge, more power to you! I don't mind folks getting an edge in game by paying, I do mind 'I win buttons', but don't know of such a game in practice. The game needs to bring in money to pay for the bills and to allow for new shiny things to be made that will expand the game. I hope they'll make oodles of money so that they'll have the resources to do a proper Shadowrun Online as well.

I like the League of Legends options, you can virtually buy anything with ingame currency except skins, boosts, and bundles. I played 70+ games and expect to play many more, so I thought that PVPnet deserved a bit of compensation (I also had just been paid and had room in the budget), so I bought €50 worth of RP and bought two bundles that gave me 40 champions and enough RP to buy another 10 exclusive champions when they're on sale. I'm currently not really into the skin thing, maybe when I've tried out a few more Champions. The point is that what I bought with RL currency didn't really give me a direct advantage ingame, it gave me more options that are available through ingame currency, without having to grind through 500 wins. It's not as if you can you can pilot all the Mechs at once and if you really want to you can save for that special Mech ingame.

I'm very excited about Mechwarrior Online, I want to see more!

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #183 on: 06 November 2011, 00:21:31 »
I think there's more people (or just more vocal) here worried about the fact that the game isn't traditional "pay once, play alone forever" game rather than a "pay to win online" game.

Meaning, they're all stuck in the 1990s.

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #184 on: 06 November 2011, 16:41:42 »
I just hope that it isn't strictly a MMO.....I would rather have a buy once and play forever as every time I play with/against someone online, it always ends up against someone that is cheating bigtime.  Completely ruins the game and turned me off of that type forever.
If at first you don't succeed, make it worth the repairman's time!

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #185 on: 06 November 2011, 16:51:51 »
Everyone, before posting, please take the time to read the FAQs for the game.

http://mwomercs.com/support#faq

Odd are, your issue or complaint is addressed in there.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #186 on: 07 November 2011, 09:02:04 »
Everyone, before posting, please take the time to read the FAQs for the game.

http://mwomercs.com/support#faq

Odd are, your issue or complaint is addressed in there.

Ah, the persistent timeline is already working.  It's 3048 now, but it'll be sometime in 3049 when it's released. 

Hrm

"Q: Will the Clans make an appearance?
  A:  : )"

Double Hrm...

Formerly known as 'Phad'

Jhereg

• Recruit
« Reply #187 on: 07 November 2011, 11:28:29 »
Staff Posting gives info on design and reason for Free to Play
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/897-why-you-want-mechwarrior-online-to-be-free-to-play/

In summary:

All Carrot, No Stick.
    Balanced roles to suit a variety of player styles.
    Skill is earned.
    You can make your own choices!
    Spend money on things YOU value.

Nostra

• Corporal
« Reply #188 on: 08 November 2011, 17:31:30 »
If the new game is going to be an Online title, presumably MMO-ish, then I'm hoping for some sort of persistent, ongoing conflict. I do wonder though how the moderators will be able to keep it balanced, so one side or other can never outright win.

On that note though, why is the website MWOMercs? Are player characters going to be mercenaries?

Werewolf

• Sergeant
  • CWN ANNWN
    • Thomas S. Wolf - Portfolio
« Reply #189 on: 08 November 2011, 18:50:53 »
I think there's more people (or just more vocal) here worried about the fact that the game isn't traditional "pay once, play alone forever" game rather than a "pay to win online" game.

Meaning, they're all stuck in the 1990s.

After thinking about that post for a while, I have to admit that I feel somewhat discriminated against by it. OK, not in a rude way at all...
But:
Using the wording "being stuck" suggests that gamers that have fun playing when and where they want, alone, and even without being in need of an internet connection,
were kind of backward. Personally, I'm an avid player of EVE Online and really would've liked the newest incarnation of Mechwarrior being SP, with a full-blown campaign etc. etc.,
but I can REALLY live with MWO being an MMO. ;)
Cpt. Samoth Ze'ev
Unit: CŴN ANNWN, Spectre Company, Command Lance
'Mech: PKP-!A Peacekeeper

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #190 on: 08 November 2011, 23:50:19 »
Oh, don't worry, call me rude if you like.  It's easy for me to be rude on the Internet because there's no threat of physical harm!

And believe me, my very first computer game was MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries.  That game turned me from a boy into a man.  However, wanting more of the same for a series looking to make its name in this decade, especially in a reboot after half of a generation of video gamers have come of ESRB age, will require a great number of new ways to grab attention to MechWarrior/BattleTech and keep it for more than a month.

All in all, with the amount of detail that's being paid to canon lore, the amazing art by Alex Iglesias, and the nice laid-out plan for new feature reveals by Piranha Games, I have a feeling MechWarrior Online could become the object of my destiny.

Now to fill out those marriage forms....

Werewolf

• Sergeant
  • CWN ANNWN
    • Thomas S. Wolf - Portfolio
« Reply #191 on: 10 November 2011, 13:17:48 »
All in all, with the amount of detail that's being paid to canon lore, the amazing art by Alex Iglesias, and the nice laid-out plan for new feature reveals by Piranha Games, I have a feeling MechWarrior Online could become the object of my destiny.

THIS I second very much! :)
Cpt. Samoth Ze'ev
Unit: CŴN ANNWN, Spectre Company, Command Lance
'Mech: PKP-!A Peacekeeper

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #192 on: 10 November 2011, 13:37:08 »
Hey got more artwork up:

http://mwomercs.com/media

Wow, the Atlas hasn't looked this cool since 3025/3039!

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #193 on: 16 November 2011, 21:50:09 »
Here's a Q&A with the devs:

http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/11/27-developer-qa-1

I found the following quote highly interesting: "Though I would say that the biggest impasse we’ve come across is melee combat; that’s a system we don’t want to tackle until we know we can do it right."

If they actually follow through with this, all I can say is:  [drool]  [notworthy] [notworthy] [notworthy] [notworthy]

Grantwhy

• Sergeant
« Reply #194 on: 23 November 2011, 20:16:34 »
and the 4th 'Mech has been announced (with a very nice writeup  O0.  I wonder if they did similar write-ups for the first three?)

http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/11/30-battlemech-4-dragon

bigger copy of that picture ==> http://img.mwomercs.com/media/MechWarrior%20Online%20Dragon%20Concept.jpg

As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness.

Don't fight rabbits if you taste like lettuce.

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #195 on: 23 November 2011, 23:33:42 »
First one I don't like, too wide hipped.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #196 on: 24 November 2011, 00:48:19 »
First one I don't like, too wide hipped.

And this is what is wrong with our country: The sheer number of guys who can no longer appreciate wide hips...
They just want their 'mechs built with huge RACs and small waists and hips..and let's just forget about the arms.
Now, me? I like that Dragon...it has good hips! The kind you can just watch move all day long.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #197 on: 24 November 2011, 01:14:21 »
And this is what is wrong with our country: The sheer number of guys who can no longer appreciate wide hips...
They just want their 'mechs built with huge RACs and small waists and hips..and let's just forget about the arms.
Now, me? I like that Dragon...it has good hips! The kind you can just watch move all day long.

I am tempted to sig this.  Verrrrry tempted. O0

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #198 on: 24 November 2011, 01:16:39 »
I like big 'Mechs and I can not Lie
You other Lyrans won't deny
...I'll get my coat.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #199 on: 24 November 2011, 01:34:56 »
I want dozen of these, paint them fabulously and call them DragonForce.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #200 on: 24 November 2011, 13:54:04 »
I like big 'Mechs and I can not Lie
You other Lyrans won't deny
When a Zeus walks by with an itty bitty waist
and an Autocannon in your face
You get sprung.
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #201 on: 28 November 2011, 10:30:32 »
My only issue with the Dragon is the right arm but maybe I'm just too much of a traditionalist in that sense. Otherwise it is a very nice update, even if it does kind of remind me of a Shootist now between the right arm and the overall front profile. (Not at all from the side of course)
« Last Edit: 28 November 2011, 11:20:16 by Jayof9s »

Blackjack Jones

• Lieutenant
« Reply #202 on: 28 December 2011, 13:14:58 »
And the next 'Mech revealed is the Catapult.

Interesting, reminds me a bit of a cross between the normal and the more snubbed nose version that is sometimes seen.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #203 on: 28 December 2011, 13:40:39 »
I like it.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #204 on: 28 December 2011, 14:29:52 »
I really like it.  A lot.  More like a war machine and less like a chicken. 

Youngblood

• Captain
« Reply #205 on: 28 December 2011, 14:47:43 »
I'm hearing murmurs on the MWO forums of the appreciation for the thicker legs, as well as complaints about the shorter, boxy nose.

I'm still settling on an opinion of my own, but considering how this 'Mech is only the second "chicken-leg" 'Mech that Alex Iglesias has produced for MWO, it leaves me VERY curious as to what his MWO take on the Stalker will be.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #206 on: 28 December 2011, 14:49:37 »
I'm hearing murmurs on the MWO forums of the appreciation for the thicker legs, as well as complaints about the shorter, boxy nose.

I'm still settling on an opinion of my own, but considering how this 'Mech is only the second "chicken-leg" 'Mech that Alex Iglesias has produced for MWO, it leaves me VERY curious as to what his MWO take on the Stalker will be.
Or the Marauder. :D   I admit I rather like the torso, I'm just not so hot on the thicker legs myself; I will say this -

If it's related to this, dear god the Mad Cat's going to be cast-iron sexy.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #207 on: 28 December 2011, 15:23:18 »
Compare it with the original 'Mech:

Catapult

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #208 on: 29 December 2011, 01:26:53 »
I like how nose is made to look, it strikes me as more aggressive as the original.
Shoot first, laugh later.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #209 on: 30 December 2011, 17:51:56 »
I said this on the MWO forum but it seems to me that they are going with the 'Mechs from the Box set. At least for the initial release. Hopefully we will see more post launch. With the Atlas, Catapult, Dragon, Hunchback and Jenner out; does anyone else think the next 'Mech will be one of the following: Commando, Spider, Panther, Assassin, Cicada, Clint, Hermes II, Whitworth, Vindicator, Enforcer, Trebuchet, Dervish, Quickdraw, JagerMech, Grasshopper, Awesome, Zeus, Cyclops & Banshee?

Register