Author Topic: decals crumbled  (Read 3144 times)

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
decals crumbled
« on: 02 May 2012, 05:42:41 »
I wondered why some decals  when  picked with the tip of the brush crumble into pieces.
Now I will try 'to dip directly into the liquid decal fix hoping for a better result.
Does anyone have any advice?

phlop

• CamoSpecs
  • Warrant Officer
Re: decals crumbled
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2012, 08:01:38 »
I have had this happen before. It was off an old sheet. I am not sure if it is from them being old or if the decals were printed on a thinner stock. Sometimes, I will go through several decals before I get one to set without breaking apart. I have since ordered a new sheet.

Not sure how you are applying your decals, but; I have started using this process. I cut out my decal, trimming as close to the decal. Place the decal on my finger, face up and apply water with a brush to moisten the decal. When the decal is loose, I use an x-acto knife and pick up the decal still on the paper. Put it in the vicinity you want the decal located and using the brush, slide it off the paper. Use decal set to float the decal and position it. You won't need a lot of decal set, a little will allow the decal to move around. After positioning the decal, use the brush to remove the excess moisture. Be careful to not move the decal. If you move it, it can be repositioned while you are removing the moisture. I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2012, 08:10:08 by phlop »
“Everyone is useful,No one is necessary.’’ Paul Brown

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2012, 09:08:16 »
Thank you for the answer, but I think the problem lies right in the product itself.
This sheet is part of an order placed years ago to the FPG.
I agree that the sheets are not more 'new,
but why is not the case with others?
Stored in the same place and all subject to the same temperature.
However, after several attempts, leaving the decals
immersed in the liquid for a some  minutes(if not hours) I managed to fix 1.

spaceman spiff

• Warrant Officer
  • We will deal with your rebel farmers soon enough..
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2012, 11:45:51 »
i've had this happen on a few occasions. i strongly believe it is the age of the decal that has to do with the crumbling. my newer decals do not crumble. now, how do i prevent it? i have found a can of decal fixative made by Testors. it is meant to be sprayed on decals that you print yourself right after they come out of the printer so the ink does not run when you immerse them in water. i have given some of my older decals a shot or two of this spray, and it seems to work. i also keep my decals in a sealed drawer, nice and flat, too.
Spaceman has his own blog now!
http://spaceman-spiff-studio.blogspot.com/

Cyttorak

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
  • CPLT-K2, now with more beef!
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2012, 17:15:40 »
Also, make sure to soak the decals for a while. I will periodically cut away layers of the backing material after each soaking to increase the absorption of the water. As a final step, I will take liquid soap and gently work it into the decal so that it slides off very easily. It's all too often the force of trying to get an old decal off the backing that results in the colors coming off.

TheMaster1955

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2012, 10:34:13 »
If you discover you have old decals. Get a can of Testors decal bonder. a couple of light coats should make them stronger and useable.

http://www.decalgear.com/DG/
Life: Some assembly required!

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2012, 01:03:30 »
I have a big and insurmountable issue with this product:looks like nobody here in a range of 70 km doesn't have and is a product that can't be stored in cargo airplain for shipping orders.

Ratboy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2012, 10:21:49 »
I have a big and insurmountable issue with this product:looks like nobody here in a range of 70 km doesn't have and is a product that can't be stored in cargo airplain for shipping orders.

Many carriers will only ship Aerosol products via ground shipping. I'm not sure where you are, but you may be able to get them to use a ground shipping method.

It's a safety issue (ORM-D labels). Most aerosol cans cannot withstand the extra stress of lower pressure on the outside brought about by altitude.
Jim Williamson - CDT Agent #206
NJ, USA

Register