Author Topic: Team Banzai - REALLY!?  (Read 32263 times)

theBigMac

• Private
Re: Team Banzai - REALLY!?
« Reply #60 on: 29 August 2011, 01:15:29 »
Liked the pop culture references, though I never read all the novels, most of my experiences have been the fluff in Mechwarrior and Tech Readout 3025.
"Rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads.  If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched.  There are no flags in the MAC."-Archie McCarron

"And there never will be." -Marcus Barton

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #61 on: 29 August 2011, 02:04:55 »
  Pop culture references are not that big of deal. The regiment in question has been renamed.  The New Avalon Cavaliers still carry on the legacy. Blaming Stackpole for something that existed before he wrote the novels in question just seems a bit over the top to me. This is a a game universe and some people like to give a nod to RL cultural icons, cult classics et. al. Have you looked at some of the art work in the old house books? Oprah makes an unintended appearance or at least the resemblance is really unnerving. You get some good and bad when you give the nod so to speak. Just roll woth it and remember it is your game so ignore what doesn't work for you.

It's not about the unit name itself, it's about how uncreatively he did his nod.  His Rambo jab was actually pretty okay, because he was saying something ABOUT Rambo. He wasn't just saying "Rambo is a thing that exists!"  His Buckaroo Banzai reference was about as clever as a serious take on The Chris Farley Show skits from SNL.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

theBigMac

• Private
« Reply #62 on: 29 August 2011, 02:06:38 »
Oh, almost forgot, what about the Butch and Sundance reference in the first Liao sourcebook?  I thought it was funny.
"Rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads.  If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched.  There are no flags in the MAC."-Archie McCarron

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #63 on: 29 August 2011, 04:00:27 »
I always enjoyed how McCarron's Armored Cavalry was known as THE BIG MAC myself.  :D
555th Prawn Grenadiers, Tempura Galaxy, Scampi Cluster, Gumbo Super Nova, Risotto Trinary, Creole Star.

theBigMac

• Private
« Reply #64 on: 29 August 2011, 11:13:36 »
Yeah the Whopper just wouldn't have been the same. ;)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #65 on: 29 August 2011, 12:15:25 »
That's what Hanse called his battlepimp  ;)
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #66 on: 01 September 2011, 17:08:10 »
The Team Banzai unit predated the novel Riposte by  three years at least.  They were in the first Mechwarrior RPG in '86 as well as the original 3025 TRO that year (including B. Banzai, and the jumpship "The Nth Dimension".)   As I recall, Stackpole was told to kill them off, then that was pulled back slightly by the third Warrior book. 

Obviously my opinion on the unit is different than yours, lol. 

John_Hawk

• Sergeant
« Reply #67 on: 01 September 2011, 19:57:28 »
Maybe it was when I read it -- middle school, and Buckaroo Banzai was just available on VHS -- yes, I'm old.  But it struck me as great fun, and it still does today.  BB was a movie that no one in my area had seen, except for me and my close friends. And reading about them in TRO 3025, the Mechwarrior handbook and eventually after that Stackpole's novels, put a smile on my face, like I was in on the joke. 

To this day, I enjoy finding the nuggets of in jokes in Battletech products.  Like "Thom Kazanski" being the commander of the One-Eyed Jacks Aerospace component.  That one still puts a grin on my face.  I haven't located a "Pete Mitchell" in any of the aerospace groups yet, though.

It's all the more fun since it's at least publicly frowned upon by TPTB.  Makes it feel like the inside jokes are even better.  And even if they don't stand the test of time -- BB is no longer a great secret -- the nostalgia it brings is something I dearly love.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #68 on: 07 September 2011, 20:09:07 »
Stuart Yee, sorry for the long delay! I had to go rerent the film. A group of celebrity troubleshooters who act like cowboys and are crosstrained as scientists and test-pilots? Call signs, military technology, interdimensional physics, sci-fi callouts, doppelganger/long-lost family plus katanas and a kimono? Quality of Stackpole's execution aside, I cannot think of a more perfect way to say "this is what BattleTech is!" ;D

A cross-over means that they are the same characters as were portrayed in the film. Ergo it would imply that Dr. Banzai and the Hong Kong cavaliers somehow travelled to the future from the year 1984, or were frozen in time.

It would also imply that somewhere out there are Red and Black Lectroids.

Someone, I think Victor S-D (early in the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy), does mention that "UFOs" were sighted over New Avalon in the 3020s.  ^-^

That said, if Jeff Goldblum's character was a 'mechwarrior, what would he pilot?

New guy, runs around a bunch but doesn't shoot much... put him in a Clint, with a cowboy hat painted across the chest. (Or, if Team Banzai are all in heavies, maybe bump that up to a Quickdraw.)
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
« Reply #69 on: 08 September 2011, 11:07:24 »
Stuart Yee, sorry for the long delay! I had to go rerent the film.

You mean you don't OWN it?  ???

....plus katanas and a kimono? Quality of Stackpole's execution aside, I cannot think of a more perfect way to say "this is what BattleTech is!" ;D

Essentially participating in the Japanese lovefest of the 80's.

Someone, I think Victor S-D (early in the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy), does mention that "UFOs" were sighted over New Avalon in the 3020s.  ^-^

:o

Any Red or Black Lectroids?

Actually, that might be a quaint pop culture reference to have a Merc unit named either the "Red Lectroids" or the "Black Lectroids". Hmmm....  8)
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 08 September 2011, 12:40:13 »
A cross-over means that they are the same characters as were portrayed in the film. Ergo it would imply that Dr. Banzai and the Hong Kong cavaliers somehow travelled to the future from the year 1984, or were frozen in time.

It would also imply that somewhere out there are Red and Black Lectroids.

That said, if Jeff Goldblum's character was a 'mechwarrior, what would he pilot?

Well, in the write up for the New Avalon Cavaliers lists a former member of the Team was AFFS Marshal Sidney Zweibel, which was Jeff Goldblum's character.  Also the CO of the Cavs was John Parker, with Pinky Carruthers as his XO.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #71 on: 10 September 2011, 15:14:39 »
The Lectroid's TOE would be real easy. John's lance of John's company in John's battalion...

Gave it to a friend - the movie is too good not to share.   8)
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #72 on: 10 September 2011, 19:56:40 »

Alternatively, you don't have Netflix Instant (cause it's on that)?

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: 12 September 2011, 10:52:04 »
The Lectroid's TOE would be real easy. John's lance of John's company in John's battalion...

Gave it to a friend - the movie is too good not to share.   8)

John Smallberries would pilot a Stinger

What would John Big Boote pilot?

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 12 September 2011, 11:38:23 »
Thunderstallion...ever seen the bakside of one? Its got an ass like a clydesdale

Hotwire

• Sergeant
  • ARC-2R/WHM-6L FrankenMech "The Ogre"
« Reply #75 on: 12 September 2011, 22:21:25 »
Have to agree with those that like the Team Banzai and other '80s pop culture refs. I started playing BattleTech in '86 when it was Mad Max in a big stompy robot held together with spit, wire and a prayer. It was, and still is fun to run around the 3rd Succession War with '80s cult-classic icons and techno-punk/heavy metal music.  [rockon]
3025 Forever!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #76 on: 12 September 2011, 23:35:53 »
Have to agree with those that like the Team Banzai and other '80s pop culture refs. I started playing BattleTech in '86 when it was Mad Max in a big stompy robot held together with spit, wire and a prayer. It was, and still is fun to run around the 3rd Succession War with '80s cult-classic icons and techno-punk/heavy metal music.  [rockon]

Hell Yea !  [rockon]

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #77 on: 12 September 2011, 23:54:47 »

Don't forget the 80's hair which, coicidentally, made it easier to pilot a 'mech, as well as the imagery of such
things as a dashboard hula dancer on the dash of your 'mech, and little touches like that that seem to have
fallen by the wayside in the more modern universe...except for still eccentric pilots....
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 13 September 2011, 00:05:19 »
I don't care if it's nixt or forboden, as long as i have my dash board Odin.

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #79 on: 13 September 2011, 02:34:10 »
Yeah who would've thought shaving the sides of your head into a mullet and wearing fingerless leather gloves would make such a resurgence in the future?  :D
555th Prawn Grenadiers, Tempura Galaxy, Scampi Cluster, Gumbo Super Nova, Risotto Trinary, Creole Star.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #80 on: 13 September 2011, 02:54:05 »
Yeah who would've thought shaving the sides of your head into a mullet and wearing fingerless leather gloves would make such a resurgence in the future?  :D

What? The gloves are because, in the heat of a 'mech, the control sticks get hot, while the shaved temples
allow better connection with the neurohelmet! It all makes perfect sense!
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #81 on: 13 September 2011, 08:37:22 »

Wait... you mean thats not a popular style now?  :o

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #82 on: 13 September 2011, 09:49:38 »

Wait... you mean thats not a popular style now?  :o

;D

With the possible exception of your local Walmart, not so much....

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #83 on: 14 September 2011, 05:31:49 »
My pops actually affected that style, he would have been cooler than the other side of the pillow, if it wasn't 1995. He was always ten years behind the times when it came to what was "cool".  ;D

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #84 on: 14 September 2011, 23:20:46 »
What? The gloves are because, in the heat of a 'mech, the control sticks get hot, while the shaved temples
allow better connection with the neurohelmet! It all makes perfect sense!

There are people I work with that fit the description to a T. And there not the type of people I'd trust behind the controls of a mech!  ;)
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #85 on: 15 September 2011, 12:16:24 »
We used to joke that BattleTech was War Machines of Tomorrow, Driven By Queensrÿche. 

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 15 September 2011, 12:31:23 »
No kidding . My penetrater pilot has Jet city Woman play when the mech starts up  [rockon]

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #87 on: 15 September 2011, 13:45:09 »
"And Marshal Davion, here is the rest of your Command Company!"  [rockon]

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #88 on: 16 September 2011, 15:26:34 »
"And Marshal Davion, here is the rest of your Command Company!"  [rockon]

Demi-company. Jeeze.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #89 on: 16 September 2011, 16:28:20 »
The rest are out back smoking cloves.

Register