Author Topic: Team Banzai - REALLY!?  (Read 32263 times)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: Team Banzai - REALLY!?
« Reply #90 on: 17 September 2011, 03:48:40 »
Someone, I think Victor S-D (early in the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy), does mention that "UFOs" were sighted over New Avalon in the 3020s.  ^-^

Kai, talking to Dr. Lear behind enemy lines. they're heading to a fedcom spy outpost hoping to find a working transmitter. kai, trying to hide the fact it's a secret outpost (that he only knows due to his position), talks about the "UAP" sightings on new avalon. (unexplained aerial phenomenon). says that the AFFC was testing some star league Hammerhead fighters based off recovered plans in the (IIRC) 3030's, and because they were top secret the sightings were subject to a disinformation campaign. he then goes on to mention how one of the fighters crashed in the "roswell district", and the clean up teams missed some ferro-lamellor armor, which the UAP people immediately claimed was impossible for humans to have made, and that the AFFC was hiding alien bodies in a hanger on one of the new avalon military bases.

it was all a quite blatent riff on the roswell conspiracy stuff.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #91 on: 23 September 2011, 15:55:00 »
Okay, that sounds about right, although "ferro-lamellor" hadn't entered BT's lexicon yet.

it was all a quite blatent riff on the roswell conspiracy stuff.

It can be more than one thing. :)

Alternatively, you don't have Netflix Instant (cause it's on that)?

Nope. Between regular TV and my friend's expanding DVD collection, I haven't needed to sign up yet. (Watching Dr Who with neophytes is kind of tricky since there's so many spoilers in its box art.)
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
« Reply #92 on: 23 September 2011, 21:46:05 »
Has anyone pointed out that Team Banzai was a big part of the universe? I came across my copy of 4th Succession War Atlas, pt 2 and the whoel thing is supposed to be written from his hand.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #93 on: 24 September 2011, 19:40:57 »
Has anyone pointed out that Team Banzai was a big part of the universe? I came across my copy of 4th Succession War Atlas, pt 2 and the whoel thing is supposed to be written from his hand.

Heck, there is a reference to Dr. B. Banzai in the recent-ish Handbook: Davion
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

MOrab46019

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #94 on: 28 September 2011, 19:46:11 »
I always enjoyed how McCarron's Armored Cavalry was known as THE BIG MAC myself.  :D

If I recall the Big MAC attack was for the sandwich. Now at lest in Battletech it could mean the Armored Cav is coming.

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #95 on: 28 September 2011, 23:24:40 »
If I recall the Big MAC attack was for the sandwich. Now at lest in Battletech it could mean the Armored Cav is coming.
I think everyone should just chill out and accept that Battletech and it's associated media have a ton of various references and items that connect back to certain cultural icons we know.BB, Big mac, there's a bunch of warships and admirals named for characters in a movie. it's silly to get upset or riled up over it.

Terra-ble

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #96 on: 29 September 2011, 03:45:58 »
Yvonne Morticia and her Orion, yes. :) The bit of trivia about Dr. Banzai being the designer of the Hatchetman also got its start in that book, I think -- at least that's the earliest source mentioning (rumors of) it that I'm aware of. So Mike Stackpole just expanded on what was already there.
No time to read through the whole thread, but there is a pop-culture three-for here. Morticia Addams from "the Addams Family" was played by Carolyn Jones.  The Addams butler was named Lurch. Yvonne DeCarlo played Lilly Munster on"the Munsters."

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #97 on: 29 September 2011, 09:58:05 »
No time to read through the whole thread, but there is a pop-culture three-for here. Morticia Addams from "the Addams Family" was played by Carolyn Jones.  The Addams butler was named Lurch. Yvonne DeCarlo played Lilly Munster on"the Munsters."

And she also pilots the Jumpship "The Nth Dimension."   Make it a four-fer.

Terra-ble

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #98 on: 29 September 2011, 11:00:12 »
I forgot about that.

va_wanderer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #99 on: 04 October 2011, 12:51:20 »
Going back to the beginning- yes, really.

Battletech took a bunch of characters that would never get more than a few comic books after their one movie...and did their best to immortalize them as part of the game.

Which I'm all for. I've always appreciated the nods to bits and pieces of culture- from a certain Zeon pilot in Zeta Battalion to the watermelon scene in Stackpole through a bazillion nods to all kinds of fantasy and sci-fi.

And if anyone was going to manage to pull off the first Kearny-Fuchida "time jump" by accident, it'd be one Buckaroo Banzai. The future needed him!

Cerberus_02

• Master Sergeant
  • I draw stuff for a miniatures company
« Reply #100 on: 15 October 2011, 16:01:29 »
I think everyone should just chill out and accept that Battletech and it's associated media have a ton of various references and items that connect back to certain cultural icons we know.

Thank God Ace Darwin's WhipIts don't have ANY references to ANYTHING in real life, entertainment or otherwise.  /sarcasm   :P
1st Battalion, 91st Royal Battlemech Regiment, 26th Light Brigade Combat Team, 61st Infantry Division, XXVII Corps, Eleventh Army, SLDF

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #101 on: 15 October 2011, 22:28:10 »
Thank God Ace Darwin's WhipIts don't have ANY references to ANYTHING in real life, entertainment or otherwise.  /sarcasm   :P
hehehe...agreed and conceded.

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #102 on: 17 October 2011, 04:06:45 »
Since we're talking novels, how come there are two Kai's? I know the first one dies in the first few chapters and the second one has nothing to do with him, but it seems weird I'd encounter two characters with that name. I've NEVER met a real actual Kai in my life.
555th Prawn Grenadiers, Tempura Galaxy, Scampi Cluster, Gumbo Super Nova, Risotto Trinary, Creole Star.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #103 on: 17 October 2011, 12:13:11 »
Since we're talking novels, how come there are two Kai's? I know the first one dies in the first few chapters and the second one has nothing to do with him, but it seems weird I'd encounter two characters with that name. I've NEVER met a real actual Kai in my life.

Which novel? 

Captain Vlad

• Corporal
« Reply #104 on: 02 November 2011, 20:31:02 »
Battletech took a bunch of characters that would never get more than a few comic books after their one movie...and did their best to immortalize them as part of the game.

Which I'm all for. I've always appreciated the nods to bits and pieces of culture.

Agreed.  Didn't bother me in the slightest.

I wonder if the invention of the K-F drive involved the phrase "Don't tug on that; there's no telling what it's attached to."

FedRatCowboy

• Master Sergeant
  • Loyal Knight of House Davion.
« Reply #105 on: 10 November 2011, 01:42:23 »

And remember kids: Don't touch the watermelon.

I was reading the Warrior series one night and though "what the heck does that mean?" The next day I caught the movie and saw a watermelon in a vise-grip like device in Dr. Banzi's lab. I fell out laughing. My wife was like "there is something wrong with you."
"War is Hell. Combat is a mother ******."  --General Tommy Franks, US Army

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #106 on: 10 November 2011, 11:03:36 »
"Why is there a watermelon there?"

"I'll tell you later."

I love that scene!

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #107 on: 10 November 2011, 13:53:44 »
Going back to the beginning- yes, really.

yep FASA and other companies snuck stuff in all the time, my other favorite was in the Star Trek RPG there was a class of ships in the fed  fleet that were named after cities, (Loknar Class Frigate)
 and like most completist freak I appreciated that they had a list all of the ships of that class, so I picked the Hobbiton :-)  we put round doors on the pub (10 Forward) and on the Captains quarters

of course the word Loknar itself was an homage to the movie Heavy Metal, it was the glowing ball :-)
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #108 on: 12 November 2011, 15:06:22 »
yep FASA and other companies snuck stuff in all the time, my other favorite was in the Star Trek RPG there was a class of ships in the fed  fleet that were named after cities, (Loknar Class Frigate)
 and like most completist freak I appreciated that they had a list all of the ships of that class, so I picked the Hobbiton :-)  we put round doors on the pub (10 Forward) and on the Captains quarters

of course the word Loknar itself was an homage to the movie Heavy Metal, it was the glowing ball :-)
oh my god. I NEVER Noticed that before. wow. I used to play with one in the old FASA RPG game. It was the class of ship assigned to my crew. U.S.S. Fall River. I read this post and looked over the entry in the old SRM: Federation....I NEVER NOTICED!

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
« Reply #109 on: 21 November 2011, 14:57:04 »
So I think I'm going to relent and just accept the ubiquitous 80's pop-culture "inspired references"

Hell, I went along with my own. I recently ran a scenario involving a Company by the name of Weyland-Yutani looking for mercenaries to find a lost survey team exploring the deep Periphery world  designated as LV-426 aka "Acheron".

Of course the Company ends up screwing over the mercs, but instead of acid-for-blood xenomorphs, they just find a hell of a lot of Smoke Jaguars (which is very nearly the same thing).

I pre-generated a mercenary force named "Sulaco's Rangers" and gave the mechwarriors names Apone, Hicks, Hudson, Vasquez, etc.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #110 on: 23 November 2011, 09:34:45 »
"Inspired references" are just a tool, like anything else. Creativity & fun isn't about where the tool comes from -- it's how you use it.  O0  [rockon]
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #111 on: 23 November 2011, 10:49:26 »
oh my god. I NEVER Noticed that before. wow. I used to play with one in the old FASA RPG game. It was the class of ship assigned to my crew. U.S.S. Fall River. I read this post and looked over the entry in the old SRM: Federation....I NEVER NOTICED!

yeah I am a bit of a detail freak :-)

there are also ships named after FASA staff and other random stuff, would need to go dig to remember more, and I am in mood to  move my ass right now :-)
resting up for retail hell tonite and friday
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

MOrab46019

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #112 on: 25 November 2011, 02:22:31 »
U.S.S. Fall River was a heavy cruiser. Before going into the scrap heap she was off shore on one of the atomic tests. Her Bow is in the City of Fall River MA at the Battleship Cove. 

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #113 on: 09 December 2011, 19:09:54 »
U.S.S. Fall River was a heavy cruiser. Before going into the scrap heap she was off shore on one of the atomic tests. Her Bow is in the City of Fall River MA at the Battleship Cove.
Yeah, I've seen her before, I live close by in Brockton. All of Battleship cove is a must see if you visit massachusetts.

Register