Author Topic: FASA Games, a name from the past  (Read 14960 times)

Dread Moores

• Captain
FASA Games, a name from the past
« on: 26 August 2012, 18:34:51 »
Right up front, let me be clear that this is something that should have little effect on SR or BT. I just thought it was interesting to see this name out there again.

http://redbrickllc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=659&p=5534#p5534

Other folks online have mentioned that the names attached to FASA Games are Ross Babcock and James Sutton. The first name is a real blast from the past. I wish them luck.

bytor

• Lieutenant
Re: FASA Games, a name from the past
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2012, 19:56:28 »
Interesting.  There is a FASA Games website, with a modified version of the final FASA Corp logo, some trademark notices and that's it.  I had no idea that Earthdawn was still around, but that's cool that someone kept it going, and will continue to do so. 

And Ross Babcock!  Most of the FASA stuff I have, either Battletech or not (especially Star Trek RPG), has his name on it someplace.....

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

General308

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2012, 22:23:11 »
I wonder what they have planed. Would love to see Renigade Legion.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2012, 22:28:48 »
At GenCon I bought a friend the new edition of the Fading Suns player guide.
Wish them well!
Maker of big things.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2012, 22:59:08 »
Good to see more of the old crew (the titles) still alive.  O0
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2012, 23:25:06 »
  Redbrick converted the Earthdawn setting to Pathfinder rules?  :o  8)  I might have to take a look at that, if I get the chance.  I skimmed a couple of Earthdawn sources back around the time SR3(!) was released, but the ED mechanics put me off; now, however, I'm already familiar with 3.5E/PF, so I won't have to clear so many mental hurdles.  If nothing else, it could provide more things to loot for a custom campaign-setting.  :D

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2012, 01:00:07 »
  Redbrick converted the Earthdawn setting to Pathfinder rules?  :o  8)  I might have to take a look at that, if I get the chance.  I skimmed a couple of Earthdawn sources back around the time SR3(!) was released, but the ED mechanics put me off; now, however, I'm already familiar with 3.5E/PF, so I won't have to clear so many mental hurdles.  If nothing else, it could provide more things to loot for a custom campaign-setting.  :D

They also did a Savage Worlds edition, as well, as well as keeping the classic system. I am going to be using some of the stuff in
my Pathfinder game(alot of the stuff works great for the Grey Elves of my setting)

I just wish they had the Horrors book out in pathfinder....
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Stahlseele

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2012, 06:24:20 »
Hm apparently FASA Games is Red Brick renamed with a different owner (a FASA co-creator) and James Sutton as president.

Some more info on RB-turns-into-FASA: http://roleplayerschronicle.com/?p=26201
RPC: These [pointing to Earthdawn, Fading Suns, Blue Planet, and 1879] are going to be your core lines?
JS: No [meaning they aren't stopping there], Demonworld is a FASA property anyway, we’re doing RPGs and tabletop miniatures, it’s about 500 skus for that alone. Blue Planet has obviously come across from RedBrick, Fading Suns as well. 1879 is an original property, Earthdawn’s a FASA property anyway, sort of come back to roost. We’re also working on four new games to be released over the next five to six years, filling in the gaps around the second world, sixth world, and eighth world of the FASA cosmology. All of those games are intended to be interlinked properly unlike with what happened to Earthdawn and Shadowrun.
RPC: You’re free to talk about it if you’d like.
JS: The second world is effectively the age of dragons. It’s high magic, it’s the birth of Earthdawn. That may end up being the last game that we’re doing because it’s dragons, it’s harder to do. They’re all to be supported with miniatures and supported, hopefully if we get it off the ground, with the tabletop platform we’ve been developing. RPGs, fiction, hopefully card games and board games if all goes well, it’s fairly ambitious. Fourth world, Earthdawn, we’ve already got that, that’s already in progress. The sixth world game we have in mind is a post-apocalyptic reset, post scourge if you’re familiar with the Earthdawn and FASA cosmology.
Every 5,000 years there’s the Mayan long calendar, so there’s a period of high magic and there’s a period of low magic. During the peak of high magic these things called horrors come out of netherspace and ravage things and things go horribly wrong for humanity usually, which is what happened in Earthdawn. Everybody went underground, wait until the magic level dropped and low and behold. Shadowrun sort of deals with that as well, it’s part of the FASA cosmology but we’re ignoring Shadowrun, completely, for obvious legal reasons. The sixth world game is effectively a post-apocalyptic. The corporations have been shattered by the horrors, there’s bikers… the whole Mad Max thing, just taken to the factor of “lots.” The eighth world game we’ll be working on… “nuke ‘em from orbit” it’s the only way to be sure.
Quote from one of the Mechwarrior: Living Legends Mod Developers:
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness ****** the shit ****** random!'

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 27 August 2012, 08:34:23 »
Shadowrun sort of deals with that as well, it’s part of the FASA cosmology but we’re ignoring Shadowrun, completely, for obvious legal reasons.

I would have hoped that the obvious thing to do would be to try and negotiate with Catalyst about trying to find a way to present a common set of timelines across companies.

(Though there isn't any currently-active IP holder to act as a referee, the way Holistic do between RedBrick/FASA 2.0 and Mongoose for the Fading Suns IP, it feels like a missed opportunity to simply write any sort of cross-company deal off entirely.)

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2012, 08:44:40 »
I hope Shadowrun and CGL stays well clear of the mess that was Red Brick and is now FASA Games.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2012, 08:50:33 »
I hope Shadowrun and CGL stays well clear of the mess that was Red Brick and is now FASA Games.

They seemed to have some issues, but I'm not too familiar with them. Can you elaborate, either here or in PM?
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2012, 09:20:31 »
The other thread in OT covering Fading Suns pretty much covers the drama.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 27 August 2012, 09:33:17 »
I'm just disappointed Redbrick never managed to get Equinox off the ground. While I do love Eclipse Phase, I'm relatively intrigued by the idea of Earthdawn's space-based future in a high mana cycle. While I ended my time with Earthdawn a very long way back (when there was only one edition/version), the lore of the setting always fascinated me. So, while I'm not a huge fan of some of Sutton's business decisions, I'm still happy to see the setting hopefully continue to push onwards. And I do like seeing Mr. Babcock's name tossed about on pure nostalgia notes. ;)

As much as I love BT (and SR), I often felt ED had the setting (of the FASA spawned games) with the best angle and held together when looking for internal consistency.

ianargent

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 27 August 2012, 09:46:01 »
I liked the ED mechanics for turning the xD&D mechanical tropes inside-out; though they desperately needed a better grounding in probability for some of their mechanics. The world itself was interesting, but didn't grab me by the throat and drag me into it. (For the record, I enjoyed the gonzo-high-magic period of SR that came out of it, and some of my best memories are of running Harlequin's Back and homebrewed events riffing on the connection).

I'll wait and see about what happens with nuFASA
Yes, KF drive vessels, assuming they survive the atmospher[ic reentry] (they take 100 points of damage per hex per turn of velocity in the atmosphere), do tend to use an aggressive lithobraking method for landing.

Stahlseele

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 27 August 2012, 10:27:11 »
Well, to be honest, CGL isn't entirely free from such stuff either. Remember the fiasco that led to losing several of the SR FreeLancers?
Quote from one of the Mechwarrior: Living Legends Mod Developers:
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness ****** the shit ****** random!'

imperator

• Warrant Officer
Is FASA back?
« Reply #15 on: 28 August 2012, 07:37:47 »
I just went to DriveThruRPG and was looking at the new Fading Suns Players(Rev) guide and just saw it was produced by FASA!!!! Has FASA restarted or is somebody using its name?
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
Re: Is FASA back?
« Reply #16 on: 28 August 2012, 07:50:10 »
That would be awesome. Do not get me wrong, I love Catalyst and think they have done amazing things for BattleTech, but FASA is also a great company and it would be nice to see them come back.
GreyWolf.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #17 on: 28 August 2012, 07:56:03 »
Moving this thread to Off Topic and merging it with the already-extant thread on this topic.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #18 on: 28 August 2012, 08:06:59 »
I just went to DriveThruRPG and was looking at the new Fading Suns Players(Rev) guide and just saw it was produced by FASA!!!! Has FASA restarted or is somebody using its name?

It is...interesting. Yes, FASA is back. Their big coming out was at GenCon. Too bad it wasn't the return of the FASA Parthenon.
I still wish I could have seen that and the TSR Castle in the old days....

However, yeah...they have a bunch of cool stuff. I picked up the Earthdawn Pathfinder stuff....I am so going to use some
of that stuff in my Pathfinder game...
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 28 August 2012, 10:10:20 »
It's also important to keep in mind that FASA Games isn't FASA. The people that made up FASA, the large majority of them that wrote the material that people love about the FASA games, have moved on to other things or other games. So yeah, FASA is back producing games. But FASA isn't back. The only name in common between FASA Games and FASA currently is Ross Babcock.

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #20 on: 28 August 2012, 11:00:13 »
The only thing that invokes more feelings of nostalgia than FASA is TSR.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 28 August 2012, 11:08:13 »
Or Star Trek, BSG, Star Wars, or just about anything else.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #22 on: 28 August 2012, 11:30:38 »
My co-worker who I picked up the Fading Suns player guide was less then impressed with the book. Though I'm not sure if this was a brand-new edition, or a revising, or...
He also told me that there is a Savage Worlds Fading Suns ruleset coming out. I'll pick that up.
Maker of big things.

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #23 on: 28 August 2012, 11:34:33 »
As far as I am aware FASA never went away, it just stopped trading and producing directly and became purely a holding company for its intellectual property.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 28 August 2012, 17:21:33 »
It didn't. This also isn't FASA, the holding company for those IPs (at least as I understand it). This is FASA Games. How exactly that works in with the parent holding company? No clue.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #25 on: 28 August 2012, 18:00:09 »
Probably a new business name covering the amalgamation of Red Pins' IP, separate but owned by FASA Corp. Probably.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #26 on: 28 August 2012, 21:13:27 »
I feel about the transfer and license of intellectual property among corporate entities precisely the way that normal people feel about the movement of charged particles in a cyclotron: completely bewildered, and with a vague sense that it ought to be stopped somehow.
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #27 on: 30 August 2012, 06:15:28 »
I loved the old FASA Star Trek, and consider much of it more canon that what is officially canon.  Dr. Who was also a great game.  Didn't they also do a wargame using machines that look like the ones in Robotech?  :D

I wish them best of luck, and might check out the Earthdawn/Pathfinder game.
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #28 on: 30 August 2012, 09:56:30 »
Hope FASA Games succeeds in their mission in entertaining people way old FASA used to.

I hope they revive Renegade Legion wargame, it would be fun play in and hopefully be better done in Strategic level as well normal tactical one.

Star Trek RPG was fun and easy, i didn't get play with the Tactical Simulator, so i don't know if worthwhile to revive.  I wasn't crazy about what Old FASA did with their ST Next Generation.   
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #29 on: 30 August 2012, 14:04:54 »
Star Trek RPG was fun and easy, i didn't get play with the Tactical Simulator, so i don't know if worthwhile to revive.  I wasn't crazy about what Old FASA did with their ST Next Generation.   
The tactical simulator is a great game.  Fun and easy to play.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Register