Author Topic: (Answered) Fighters and Hard Points  (Read 4311 times)

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
(Answered) Fighters and Hard Points
« on: 19 February 2011, 16:34:05 »
I just started getting back into battletech seriously recently and was trying to update my aerospace knowledge.

At one time, I was assured that the light conventional strike bomber was effective with the older bomb sizes like from Aerotech 1 (I missed aerotech 2 due to time gone)...

I found the rules for the current size of the bird equals number of free hard points...  but I was wondering, is there a way to pay weight to add additional dedicated hard points to try and get the old conventional fighters back up to being the bomb boats of old?  Otherwise, there is almost no reason to get the old boeing jump bomber.  Is there a cargo space to bomb size ratio for the idea of internally stored munitions?  Something akin to an internal dedicated bomb rack?   Trying to get something that could work in terms lifting capacity and payload of a modern strike craft.

Forgive me if I am a bit confused from ancient days.
« Last Edit: 19 August 2012, 23:54:06 by Xotl »
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Fighters and Hard Points
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2011, 02:22:13 »
Greetings,

Your question is a little confusing, let me see if we can help.

Bomb Loads are a determined by two things, the mass of your fighter and thrust of the unit.

One bomb for every five tons of mass

-1 MP for each 5 bombs.

The Jump Bomber is a light bomber designed to carry a small load and get to the target very fast. The previous Aerotech rules were not well written and did allow carrying loads much heavier than they should have been able to.

Best,
Joel BC
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
Re: Fighters and Hard Points (Answered)
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2011, 09:12:48 »
Then how does the internal bomb bay on the Stinger LAM work then?  I don't have the record sheet book yet for that incase the rules are printed in there.

Forgive me for asking, is there was a way to increase the amount of bombs available through dedicated internal cargo and if so, at what rate?

Edit - I found in Strategic Operations the entry on Internal Bomb Bays and the listed amount of bombs capable of being dropped but I couldn't find the chart of the weight of the various air transportable ordinance.   Again, sorry to have to ask so many questions.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2011, 13:22:38 by Khymerion »
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2011, 18:22:25 »
The LAM bomb bay requires setting aside tonnage to be able to carry bombs. This is because the LAM cannot carrying standard bomb hardpoints because they would interfere with transformation.

These LAM internal bays are highly limited and not any magic holding jar.

Thank you,
Joel BC
-Joel BC-

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2011, 20:12:02 »
Aaaaah, okay.   So it isn't something a standard aerospace unit can mount.  Right?

Alright, thank you very much for clearing that up.

One last thing, incase I do get to use the LAM with the bomb bay in a game sometime, is there a chart to find bomb weights for the LAM bomb bay?  Or have I just missed it?

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2011, 22:54:50 »
All bombs weigh 1/2 1 ton. (External Fuel tanks weigh 1 ton and carry a half ton of fuel)

Some bombs though take up more room so you have to keep that in mind. If you have a LAM with a one ton bomb bay, it can only hold a bomb/missile of up to two slots in size.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2011, 13:43:32 by Welshman »
-Joel BC-

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2011, 13:43:45 »
Correction note: Bombs weigh 1 ton each.
-Joel BC-

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2011, 19:03:06 »
Thank you very much!