Author Topic: Physical attacks and you...  (Read 11588 times)

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
Re: Physical attacks and you...
« Reply #60 on: 14 September 2018, 06:53:22 »
I can see hatchet LAM mechs.... hmm.... Aerial kicks with blades in the heels?

Check out the Talons in Tactical Operations.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #61 on: 14 September 2018, 08:29:05 »
I'd like to change tracks here a bit. If you were assembling a 3030s merc unit and you wanted to go heavy with physical attacks, what would you choose. I would think the mechs would have to be fairly mobile with a good amount of armor on them, firepower being perhaps a secondary concern.

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #62 on: 14 September 2018, 09:41:22 »
I'd like to change tracks here a bit. If you were assembling a 3030s merc unit and you wanted to go heavy with physical attacks, what would you choose. I would think the mechs would have to be fairly mobile with a good amount of armor on them, firepower being perhaps a secondary concern.

That is good, also make sure as many weapons as possible are torso-mounted. Arm-mounts are also acceptable, but only if you don't care about punching/pushing/clubbing.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

ravensword

• Sergeant
« Reply #63 on: 14 September 2018, 09:43:45 »

Banshees, Grasshoppers, maybe Archers.  Osts if you don't care about punching.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #64 on: 14 September 2018, 09:50:11 »
Can punch freely with both arms on a Ostie until they get blown off. :) And that 8-move charge on a sixty-tonner is nice too. Thanks.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #65 on: 14 September 2018, 10:09:43 »

There's only one real answer to that question: Grasshoppers.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 16 September 2018, 16:05:45 »
Banshees, Chargers, 60T Ost-series mechs are all great. Can’t argue with the Grasshopper either. Javelin is decent for a light, since it tends to survive just a bit longer than something like a Spider. It isn’t light, but an Assassin can fill the same role. You want stuff with ALL the arm and hand actuators if you intend to punch a lot. As mentioned, torso weapons are also helpful since you can fire them and still punch.

Oddly, the Marauder and Warhammer aren’t too bad as you may not care to use the PPCs at close range anyway, and they are only missing hand actuators. For slightly less optimal choices, the Goliath can be fun if you can deal with a quadmech. Of course, the Atlas is always scary if you can manage to get close with it. The BattleMaster is also decent for an assault doing physical attacks, and it wants to get close anyway. I like it better than the 80-tonners anyway.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #67 on: 16 September 2018, 16:51:30 »
I ran a lance of two BNC-3Qs and two BNC-3Ms in a 6k game once. There were a lot of shattered legs that day.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #68 on: 17 September 2018, 07:02:08 »
Banshees, Chargers, 60T Ost-series mechs are all great. Can’t argue with the Grasshopper either. Javelin is decent for a light, since it tends to survive just a bit longer than something like a Spider. It isn’t light, but an Assassin can fill the same role. You want stuff with ALL the arm and hand actuators if you intend to punch a lot. As mentioned, torso weapons are also helpful since you can fire them and still punch.

Chargers are even better if you allow hand held weapons rules. Pack in a bunch of missile launchers and you've got an 80 ton Javelin.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #69 on: 17 September 2018, 11:32:47 »
Chargers can't use hand-held weapons: they only have one hand.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #70 on: 18 September 2018, 05:55:57 »
Chargers can't use hand-held weapons: they only have one hand.

CURSE YOU OGRE FOR DESTROYING MY DREAMS!!!!
Be the Loremaster:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #71 on: 18 September 2018, 15:43:06 »
Sounds like a job for a tech...  How hard could it be to install an actuator the darn thing should have had all along?

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #72 on: 18 September 2018, 16:01:31 »
Slugger SPA solves the problem.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #73 on: 18 September 2018, 17:01:05 »
Sounds like a job for a tech...  How hard could it be to install an actuator the darn thing should have had all along?

Well, you see, there's this issue due to Star League specifications that basically mean the mech isn't compatible with the software needed to have a left hand...

Seriously, though, the fact that it never had one has never made sense.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #74 on: 18 September 2018, 17:24:24 »
Well, you see, there's this issue due to Star League specifications that basically mean the mech isn't compatible with the software needed to have a left hand...

Seriously, though, the fact that it never had one has never made sense.

it's very important that SL in the arm wasn't obstructed?

the lunacy even carries over to variants like the 1A5 that don't have any weapons in the arms at all

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #75 on: 18 September 2018, 21:51:56 »
Check out the Talons in Tactical Operations.

Too bad LAM's are nerfed so bad you can barely arm them.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #76 on: 19 September 2018, 00:44:16 »
it's very important that SL in the arm wasn't obstructed?

the lunacy even carries over to variants like the 1A5 that don't have any weapons in the arms at all

Some times the art i see for the charger, make it seem like having a weapon in that arm (say a mace head) was the intent for why they left the hand off...
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 19 September 2018, 01:14:03 »
Not trivial, I'd say. After all, it means hand-crafting equipment that never existed before. You're not fixing something here, you're designing something entirely new from scratch. Even when considering the other arm and assuming there is no significant internal difference, it's still mirror reversed and you cannot use any of the parts.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #78 on: 19 September 2018, 03:31:45 »
I was thinking more along the lines of using some other 80 ton 'mech's left hand...

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #79 on: 19 September 2018, 04:39:39 »
I would say that would not work very well. Balances betweeen the systems, the controls you need ot wire to the neurohelmet and the control console for the mech et al might be quite a daunting task. Or not. Depends on what tyoui decide here. Sometimes we see designs (and forum discussions) that put a huge emphasis on how something is not possible, andf then in the next thing tyou read people has swapped the internal engine, added jump jets and changed 5 weapons on a mech in an afternoon. So up to how hard you want to make it, really. Ypu camn justify either easily :)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #80 on: 19 September 2018, 08:56:07 »
Oddly, the Marauder and Warhammer aren’t too bad as you may not care to use the PPCs at close range anyway, and they are only missing hand actuators.

With leg armor like those two, I'd keep my distance.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: 19 September 2018, 15:37:26 »
I’m not saying you would WANT to melee with the Marauder or Warhammer, but they make good choices for fire support for a melee-loving company. I like them for fire support that has the option to kick or punch if needed. At least, I prefer them to the Catapult, Crusader, or Archer. The Catapult is missing too much in the arm dept., the Crusader usually has better things to do with its arms and legs, and the Archer...well, I guess I just like direct fire support better than indirect! The Awesome sort of falls into the same category for me: it is really a fire support unit, but if called on to melee it is pretty good at it.

So, even a punch-loving company will need some recon and fire support, and I think the Warhammer and Marauder would fit in that slot nicely. Better than most other options in the era anyway.

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #82 on: 19 September 2018, 16:30:03 »
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 17:56:17 by Easy »

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #83 on: 19 September 2018, 16:46:19 »
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 17:39:44 by Easy »

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #84 on: 20 September 2018, 06:25:35 »
Too bad LAM's are nerfed so bad you can barely arm them.

Right. That's why it's a good thing talons are leg mounted. ;)
Be the Loremaster:

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #85 on: 30 September 2018, 09:16:08 »
Right. That's why it's a good thing talons are leg mounted. ;)

Ooh, I need to go tinker with this for a while...
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #86 on: 30 September 2018, 19:04:24 »
I’m not saying you would WANT to melee with the Marauder or Warhammer, but they make good choices for fire support for a melee-loving company. I like them for fire support that has the option to kick or punch if needed. At least, I prefer them to the Catapult, Crusader, or Archer. The Catapult is missing too much in the arm dept., the Crusader usually has better things to do with its arms and legs, and the Archer...well, I guess I just like direct fire support better than indirect!

I've had fun with Archers that have dealt with the enemy getting too close by going melee on them. One really went to town on a Warhammer (it had avoided getting taken out by direct fire up to that point by hiding behind a building and applying indirect spam to the opposition). Predictably, the 'hammer got legged in the game of 70-ton shin-kicking.

(Although I will admit that while the Archer's arm-mounted lasers are handy for dealing with flankers, they're very frustrating when it comes to melee!)
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #87 on: 01 October 2018, 08:30:53 »
I've had fun with Archers that have dealt with the enemy getting too close by going melee on them. One really went to town on a Warhammer (it had avoided getting taken out by direct fire up to that point by hiding behind a building and applying indirect spam to the opposition). Predictably, the 'hammer got legged in the game of 70-ton shin-kicking.

(Although I will admit that while the Archer's arm-mounted lasers are handy for dealing with flankers, they're very frustrating when it comes to melee!)

FWLIW, I used to run a modified Archer with SRMs instead of LRMs. Was one hell of an infighter.
Be the Loremaster: