Author Topic: What were your favorite WK sculpts?  (Read 6832 times)

MightyBolamite

• Corporal
What were your favorite WK sculpts?
« on: 27 July 2015, 10:39:52 »
I know, there were a lot of issues with the scaling of a lot of their Mechs. I know that there were some that came out flat ugly.
Whether you loved the game, or loathed it, there were just some sculpts that you couldn't help but drool over; you know its true.
I'm just rather curious to see what they were and why.

I'll go first:
Thunder Fox
Quad mechs have always been a bit of an oddity in the mythos, and it was bizarre that WK decided to put them in the game. This Mech was just gorgeous though. Its' predatory head, good looking guns, and even those weird, hexagonal-like feet; I loved looking at this Mech.

Crimson Hawk
Same basic 'pit design, I know. I really liked the jump pack with the shoulder mounted weapon reminiscent of the Shadow Hawk of old. I liked its' claws and cleft-feet, and that spike over one of its knees.

Legionnaire
Stupidly over sized and bulky. The "chaingun" was enormous and the ammo feeds unrealistic and cartoony, but this Mech just speaks to me. It just seems like a machine made for war in the grittiest manner, and is totally ready to step into that role.

So go ahead and tell me what sculpts you like best from the ol' clicky game, I'm sure there is at least one.

PGaither84

• Recruit
Re: What were your favorite WK sculpts?
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2015, 16:20:34 »
I didn't mind them taking some artistic licenses with their sculpts, but I think they took it too far too often.

I always liked the small changes to the MWDA Centurion over the original and MW4 (PC game) versions. I don't care for the MWOnline version at all.

I agree that the Legionnaire just speaks to me as well. I love and hate it. Jacqueline Tadaka was my first unique mech. That flap of armor thing on it's butt prevents to model (and mech?) from having any torso twist whatsoever. I am sure that I wouldn't have liked it so much had it not been my first unique mech, in my favorite faction, and quite powerful form e when i played. 10 speed and 5 armor piercing damage is nothing to laugh at.

I also liked the Agro-Mech Mod with that big autocannon and saw blades. It was so impractical, but I love how the piece looked on the table.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2015, 17:34:10 »
Got to agree - many of the industrials looked just sweet. The ForestryMech with scissor saws stands out, but my real favourite there is the original ConstructionMech with the digger and grasping claw. I was lucky enough to get a pre-sale demo piece of it - on a 'Mech base, but no stats on the dial, and no heat knob. The dirty yellow construction paintjob suits it 100%.

Talking of actual war machines, the Arbalest has always been a favourite too, especially in Bannson's colours. The early release paintjobs were suprisingly good, with detailing & drybrushing, even some weathering. The later Jade Falcon totem 'Mechs in metallic plus green highlights also impress.

But there's something about the Inner Sphere Standard BA I just love. It's got that whole industrial warfare look I like, plus a war-weary "Okay, who do we have to kill now?" stance about it. Love them.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2015, 12:23:36 »
Favorite  'mech sculpts ... ICE 'mechs: the Agro / Agro MOD and Miner MOD ... also the Centurion, Koshi, Blade, Jackalope, and Malice.

Vehicles ... Kelswa assault tank is my runaway favorite ... it looks the part of a future tank with the angled hull, four tracks and double gauss (or autocannons, I suppose), but I also dig the Cardinal VTOL, M1 Marksman, and R10 Transport.

Infantry ... Peasant companies (look like they're marching in formation) and Ravager battle armor (intimidating and another that "looks" like what I expect to see in Battletech)

MightyBolamite

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2015, 14:25:06 »
I have to agree with the ICE Mechs. They always had cool chainsaws or whatnot on them and you could truly believe that they were pres-ganged into service.

I forgot to mention the Anubis. The highly stylized torso/cockpit is so over the top that it looks amazing. But the next best part are the legs. I dare say, the Anubis has the sexiest legs in the WK family.  ;)
Big surprise for me, as I never liked the old sculpt for the Anubis. I can't help but look at this and see this.  ;D