Author Topic: Gunpla minus Gundam  (Read 7545 times)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
Gunpla minus Gundam
« on: 07 February 2023, 02:20:48 »
After reading a bit more about it on Penny Arcade of all places, I finally succumbed to the temptation of Gunpla (my friends who are into it never really did a good job of selling me on it)

As the title mentions, I am not particularly interested in the super robot aspect of it, so almost all of my kits are mass production suits. The sole assembled Gundam right now is an Ez8. Anyway, the GMs have been subject to some initial attempts to paint (I have previously painted exactly one airplane model and some Warhammer fantasy accessories of my brother's) but it all came together with the Zakus and Leos.

So time to goon it up:
Group picture! Hey, what's that in the background?

To catch a GM...

Zaku I in the denim and the most heavily armed of the suits. The machine gun is on an elastic band sling and the heat hawk on the right side. The bazooka is the Zaku IIs. I was experimenting with a mottled camouflage. The base coat was desert yellow, but along with my thin primer layer (GW Grey Seer), a bit of the base plastic colour (dark blue/olive drab green) came through. I didn't like it though and ended up with a Skeleton Bone, Leather Brown, Angel Green, and Army Green. The green/pale brown combination reminds me more of East Asian camouflage (Japan and China have some schemes that use paler green and browns than North Europe and lighter/less saturated than more tropical patterns)

Pre-Zaku I goons

The flecktarn-like orange came out too bright when I started getting lazy about unloading the paint from my brush. It was subdued by dabbing on some thinned out beige (Army Painter Skeleton Bone) as in the first picture

Big Cats on the prowl

Zaku II tiger stripes and primed but unpainted rifle. The tiger stripes were easier than I expected, but the Army Painter Leather Brown paint was very cooperative

The leopard print was the first scheme I tried. Although I find it more visually interesting, my friends mostly prefer the tiger stripe scheme (which also has two fewer colours)

« Last Edit: 07 February 2023, 02:55:48 by chanman »

Luciora

• Major
Re: Gunpla minus Gundam
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2023, 02:45:48 »
Very cool looking.  Looks very 0079 era.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2023, 05:47:03 »
 :thumbsup:

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2023, 07:49:34 »
Wow! those look amazing! :thumbsup:

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2023, 13:04:28 »
Those look Grrreeeaaaattt !!

I wish I could get some affordable Leos for my 1/400 scale stuff, But apparently they are popular and cost more than $10 each (which is redonculous for 1/400 grunt suits).

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2023, 17:50:27 »
Sweet! :thumbsup:
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2023, 19:54:06 »
I agree with your friends... the tiger stripes look better than the leopard spots...  8)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2023, 14:28:53 »
Those are 1/144, right?  They look good. 

Are they simply for display? Or are you planning on stats for a large table-top engagement?

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2023, 16:56:55 »
Those are 1/144, right?  They look good. 

Are they simply for display? Or are you planning on stats for a large table-top engagement?

Yep, they're 1/144. I'm finding the simpler models (the older Zaku II moulding and the original GM) are actually more conducive to the paint jobs since the disruptive effect (and all the paint it's taking to achieve) obscures a lot of detail. I guess I need to figure out how to re-etch filled in panel lines some time.

Yeah, they're just for display although maybe I'll turn some of them into a diorama at some point. I've got two more Zakus (one built and awaiting painting, one unbuilt) and 11GMs. Not all the GMs are being painted in camo (one is a matte black space model and one is in Niops colours), but I guess it would be enough for squad-on-squad skirmish battles.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2023, 02:47:16 »
GM Sniper II (https://gunpla.fandom.com/wiki/HGUC_RGM-79SP_GM_Sniper_II). I've decided to go with a more green-dominant West European camo for the GMs and a browner desert/plains/temperate scheme for the Leos and Zakus. Don't mind the dangling beam saber. The nub snapped (a problem with paint, really) and the glue hasn't set yet. The 180mm cannon is from a Gundam Breaker Ground Urban Combat kit that I haven't built yet.

I also once again tried to use craft store paints to poor effect. I'm not sure what additives model paints get to flow more smoothly, but I think the craft paints will have to remain only as mixers (or shiny globs for the red gloss)

My base RGM-79s in a rough NATO 3-colour and next to the Zaku I and Flecktarn Leo. Background is a Colony Command GM with the blue head from my Niops-painted Cold Districts GM (the Colony Command head hasn't been assembled yet because it's waiting to be primed)

GM Space Command in all-black (primer with paint touchup) and a few coloured pieces of trim. Space is black, right? Holding the 180mm cannon before painting. Background is my first Gunpla kit ever (from last year). It's a Ground GM but with the orange parts re-painted in Skeleton Bone. I'm hesitant to paint this or the Gundam Ez8 because of the tendency for paint to gum up the articulation and those two models have more articulation that I don't know if I want to affect.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2023, 03:20:48 by chanman »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2023, 03:15:43 »
Loving the Gunpla.  Couldn't help but remind me that these are both 1/144 scale.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #11 on: 16 February 2023, 14:47:10 »
Another newly painted GM. This one is a Colony Command model.

Testing the pattern on the shield first. This is a 5-colour pattern with thin stripes (GW Abbadon black, and Army Painter leather brown, skeleton bone, angel green stripes over an army green base). From some angles, it looks a bit like a greener multi-cam

I applied a thin wash of angel green or skeleton brown over a couple parts to mute some of the colours a bit. Skeleton bone has an especially matte finish which I find helpful for reducing shine

A couple of group shots

Bonus: I have an Imperial Star Destroyer gunpla kit (the Star Destroyer and Mon Cal cruiser behind it are Hot Wheels die cast) and decided to paint it up as Booster Terrik's Errant Venture with some red gloss acrylic I picked up at a craft store. The photo looks a bit odd because I had to play with the post-photo settings a bit to get the red-ness, details and shading to show up properly
« Last Edit: 16 February 2023, 16:29:10 by chanman »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 16 February 2023, 19:02:23 »
Awesome paint job, but I swear that gun barrel looks bent...  :-\

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #13 on: 16 February 2023, 20:20:59 »
Awesome paint job, but I swear that gun barrel looks bent...  :-\

It's a two-part barrel. I put some putty in and straightened it out after I noticed the same thing  :D

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #14 on: 16 February 2023, 20:29:03 »
Messing around with the Earth Federation Zaku II F2. It was already mostly in desert colours with the beige, so I painted stripes directly on it. Hopefully the paint sticks better once it cures, because it comes right off the glossy surface right now

The current goon squad. I'll be adding a Zaku I sniper once I can figure out where the hell the eyepiece went after it popped out. Since it's in a desert-like finish already, it'll probably just get a minimal job like this Zaku II F2

Yes, it kinda is Green vs Tan isn't it?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 16 February 2023, 20:52:06 »
Have you considered getting any of their Gundam Artifact models?  They're more or less fit in with current Battletech minis (see attached unpainted Zaku III).
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #16 on: 17 February 2023, 03:31:25 »
Painted my first Gunpla build - an RGM-79[G]GM Ground Type. I didn't want to affect the articulation with spray primer/paint on the joints, so I applied the stripes directly to the surface. I had previously painted over the orange parts with tan already.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 17 February 2023, 22:27:20 »
Have you considered getting any of their Gundam Artifact models?  They're more or less fit in with current Battletech minis (see attached unpainted Zaku III).

I would be interested in those, myself.  I was trying to find trooper units in the Universal Unit line of assorted collectible kits.  They're more appropriately scaled to wargaming, as well.  And, by appropriately, I mean they stand as tall as an 18m MS would compared to a 10-12m BattleMech.

Are they easy to find?

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 18 February 2023, 04:14:21 »

I would be interested in those, myself.  I was trying to find trooper units in the Universal Unit line of assorted collectible kits.  They're more appropriately scaled to wargaming, as well.  And, by appropriately, I mean they stand as tall as an 18m MS would compared to a 10-12m BattleMech.

Are they easy to find?

Not entirely.  I picked up mine at the Gundam booth at the SD Comic Con.  Amazon has the Series 2 full set of five up for $50 US, and they show up on eBay periodically.  USA Gundam Store appears to have individual ones, too.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #19 on: 28 February 2023, 03:46:24 »
So I think I'm winding down on this hobby at about two dozen kits. I've got 20 built, 1 in progress, and 2 unstarted.

Count so far:

1x Jesta
1x Dagger-L
1x Gouf
2x Gundams (1x Ez-8, 1x Ground)
2x Leos
5x Zakus (2x II, 1x II F2, 1x I, 1x I Sniper)
11x GMs (3x RGM-79, 2x Cold Districts, 2x Sniper, 1x Ground, 1x Colony Command, 1x Type C, 1x Command Space)

Currently thinking of possible skirmish rules. Two teams of 8, each with 1 bazooka, 1 cannon, 1 sniper, and 5 automatic rifles... (Gouf, Zakus, and Leos vs a subset of GMs)

Anyway, just finished painting a second Zaku II tonight. Same scheme as before (single colour tigerstripe over skeleton bone), but with olive drab instead of brown stripes.

The line up:

Zaku I Sniper and my replacement eyepiece made from a sprue

Team GM

Team henchies

To be painted:
Gouf - going to be a desert scheme, but I haven't decided on which one yet
Zaku I Sniper - Mottled scrubland like the existing Zaku I. I don't think it needs priming, but a light wash of skeleton bone and desert yellow should given subsequent layers of paint enough to adhere to
GM Cold Districts - I'm thinking of a speckled pattern, but with grey in place of some or all of the brown
GM Type C - I haven't decided yet. I want to try the Zaku I mottled scheme with a green-biased colour mix, but the GMs have smaller more squared-off surfaces that might not work well with that pattern. Maybe I'll go for a more tank-like interpretation of NATO 3-colour where the colours are in large stripes instead of patches.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2023, 03:48:17 by chanman »

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #20 on: 01 March 2023, 04:28:34 »
Painted up the Zaku I sniper with a mottled scheme. I think I may go back with bit of skeleton bone to lighten it up and add some separation. The Army Green and Uniform Grey blend into each other a little too much.

Together with the other Zaku I and playing with lighting.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 01 March 2023, 07:27:36 »
Possible rules:

Mobile Suit Skirmish (it is FREE, easier to get from Facebook group as forum requires a moderator to approve membership and they admit they're usually on Discord).

Mekton Zeta (just gloss over the rpg side of the rules).

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #22 on: 01 March 2023, 20:02:22 »
Some groups shots

GMs stacked up

Zakus stacked up

Both platoons. Green vs. Tan!

Group shot

Group shot with the Leos as well. Alternate caption: Pilots of grunt suits celebrate the formation of a grunt suit union to protect the cannon fodder of the universe from protagonist abuse.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 01 March 2023, 20:16:48 »
Nice work!  :thumbsup:

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 03 March 2023, 14:42:30 »
Painted up the Zaku I sniper with a mottled scheme. I think I may go back with bit of skeleton bone to lighten it up and add some separation. The Army Green and Uniform Grey blend into each other a little too much.
since he's mottled, the pilot should be named Phil (fill).  Achaeology joke.  When doing sub-surface testing, we have to describe the soil, and in built-up, disturbed areas, fill is a common soil type.  It can be mixed, mottled, lensed and even layered.  The many shades of Phil.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #25 on: 03 March 2023, 14:53:22 »
since he's mottled, the pilot should be named Phil (fill).  Achaeology joke.  When doing sub-surface testing, we have to describe the soil, and in built-up, disturbed areas, fill is a common soil type.  It can be mixed, mottled, lensed and even layered.  The many shades of Phil.

That joke goes deep  :D

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 03 March 2023, 14:54:43 »
I see you can dig it.  :thumbsup: xp

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 03 March 2023, 19:06:01 »
That pun...  ::)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #28 on: 21 March 2023, 01:54:34 »
My interpretation of a GM Sniper II Niops colours (grey and white with blue trim) with faux wood furniture on the sniper rifle to give it a bit more of a classic look.

Although it wasn't my intention, the final result bears a resemblance the US Army's infamous UCP pattern

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #29 on: 21 March 2023, 03:14:28 »
That's a great looking sniper rifle!  :thumbsup:

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #30 on: 21 March 2023, 16:18:31 »
Having spent so much time painting Mech minis of wargaming size and much, much smaller, I must imagine the size of the 1/144 scale models helps to get the details to look that good.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #31 on: 21 March 2023, 16:27:57 »
Having spent so much time painting Mech minis of wargaming size and much, much smaller, I must imagine the size of the 1/144 scale models helps to get the details to look that good.

Pretty much. I've tried painting Warhammer minis, but it wasn't quite up my alley and 1/72 plastic models are a bit on the bigger side for me.

The 1/144 Gunpla kits split the difference neatly and I like the mix of detailed bits and larger surfaces to get patterns on. I think with a larger model, I'd start worrying more about the evenness of the paint. The smoothness of a spray finish is really nice, even when it's just primer.  :D
« Last Edit: 22 March 2023, 04:08:25 by chanman »

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #32 on: 14 July 2023, 12:08:49 »
Took some new photos of the GM Sniper with the urban camo

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #33 on: 25 July 2023, 17:38:29 »
Always nice to see Zaku love.
A great set of forces you are bulding up there.

If you can get any of the Origin Zaku kits they really up the game.
The Zaku sniper knee is a great addition to the kit.

And the GM Sniper is just so full of character.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #34 on: 25 July 2023, 19:32:43 »
Always nice to see Zaku love.
A great set of forces you are bulding up there.

If you can get any of the Origin Zaku kits they really up the game.
The Zaku sniper knee is a great addition to the kit.

And the GM Sniper is just so full of character.

I do have one. This used to be the Char red Origin Zaku II. The bazooka and anti-ship rifle are absolutely ridiculous. I cut down the the rifle forward of the handguard and added the muzzle brake back with some air-dried clay. I like the look, but it does look slightly bent from some angles.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #35 on: 25 July 2023, 19:42:02 »
Now I want to know how ridiculously long the original rifle was! ;D

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #36 on: 25 July 2023, 21:32:58 »
Now I want to know how ridiculously long the original rifle was! ;D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 26 July 2023, 03:13:18 »
Hilarious, thanks! :)

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 26 July 2023, 10:00:07 »
Pretty sure that is still shorter than the long rifle the Zudah carries  :grin:

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #39 on: 26 July 2023, 13:46:00 »
It is indeed.

While I have both. The internet saved me having to go upstairs.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #40 on: 26 July 2023, 15:35:35 »
It is indeed.

While I have both. The internet saved me having to go upstairs.

Image size, please!

Also, that looks a lot like the UC 180mm cannon that I think most EFSF suits are noted as being able to use, but only seem to be included with Ground Gundam kits. Except you know, scaled at 1/100 scale and then put on a 1/144 model :O  :grin:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #41 on: 26 July 2023, 18:19:33 »
It's even more hilarious when you notice the muzzles are out of focus due to their length... :D

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 27 July 2023, 09:19:19 »
it's as if a 15t mech was able to pick up and use a Heavy Gauss Rifle ...
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 27 July 2023, 18:07:50 »
I was thinking more LB-2X... ;)

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 27 July 2023, 19:46:13 »
I was thinking more LB-2X... ;)

meh, slightly more reasonable  :wink:

thesilverback

• Corporal
« Reply #45 on: 27 July 2023, 22:24:35 »
Very cool, love the look that you have going on.
6th Federated Suns Armored Cavalry (Hillbillies with Guns)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #46 on: 30 July 2023, 21:24:23 »
This is the HGUC RGM-79, #20, the cheap and cheerfulest GM of all. Maybe a bit too cheap and cheerful. The ankle guard came off, and I haven't checked to see if it's fixable.

Niops colours again for this one. With and without shield.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 31 July 2023, 00:07:20 »
it's saying "hey, don't shoot! I'm just a 20 tonner with almost no armor!"

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #48 on: 13 August 2023, 17:56:44 »
The Dagger-L grunt suit from Gundam Seed painted up in... I dunno. Something vaguely Niops-inspired and weathered  :cheesy:

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #49 on: 03 September 2023, 06:30:15 »
This is the HGUC RGM-79, #20, the cheap and cheerfulest GM of all. Maybe a bit too cheap and cheerful. The ankle guard came off, and I haven't checked to see if it's fixable.

You say Fixable. I say Battle Damage and Character to the kit. 

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #50 on: 04 December 2023, 01:53:04 »
Took a bit of a break and had some not-too-satisfying results until well... the original Gundam. This is an Entry-Grade RX-78-2. Primer, and then base layers were all done with craft store acrylics. Various shades of grey, followed by a wash with a thinned out white, some weathering done with Warpaints Plate Mail and Citadel Stormhost silver, and then a light wash very thinned out Warpaints Skeleton Bone for the dust/sand effect

« Last Edit: 04 December 2023, 01:55:04 by chanman »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 04 December 2023, 05:09:55 »
Nice work!  How did you light it?  Was it a strip of LEDs?

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #52 on: 04 December 2023, 05:12:23 »
Nice work!  How did you light it?  Was it a strip of LEDs?

I have an Ikea desk lamp, that is essentially a strip of LEDs with a flexible neck. The tricky part was tweaking the image on my phone because between the LEDs and the colour of the desk, the pictures picked up a lot of warm, almost yellow tone

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #53 on: 04 December 2023, 05:17:03 »
The shadow was just so funky, I had to ask... thanks! :)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #54 on: 04 December 2023, 05:26:31 »
The shadow was just so funky, I had to ask... thanks! :)

Either that or the pilot is demonstrating Phantom Mech Ability  :cheesy:

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 04 December 2023, 16:10:30 »
I just finished the F90 Option Packs C/at and starting the P Type myself.  Love the Grey Death look of the RX-78 also!

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 13 December 2023, 16:47:32 »
Nothing wrong with Apple Barrel or equivalent acrylics.  If you water them down, they'll still apply smooth.  I've moved to Americana because it has a better texture.  Great for prime brushing, and I like their true red the best. 

I don't know that I'll go camo, but I've recently picked up some 8 cm Gundam kits.  Sadly, mostly Gundam. (Aside: I think Char's Zaku II was so much a favorite that any place that carried them sold out fast.)  But, this has been a bit of inspiration to not replicate the iconic paint schemes.  I personally think I'll go with a gray-scale.  Although seeing the RX-78 in Olive drab might be interesting.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #57 on: 15 January 2024, 11:25:14 »
Been messing around with some shelves to move my Gunpla off the fireplace

Current state: Both shelves lit with Ikea lights, Zeon with desert camo up top with the jungle background and Feddies with forest camo in front of beach/desert for contrast, and with some photo editing on the phone to make the colours pop

Same shot without the editing

Natural light only

Bottom lit, but before I figured out how to light the Zakus

Originally, I had the backgrounds swapped around so that they would match the camo, but the camo worked a little too well and the models would blend in on some shots.

Background paintings are dollar store + model acrylic paints on dollar store canvas

Beware giant dinos!

Guntank in a WW1 French-inspired scheme

Re-shoot of the Zaku I sniper

Maganac painted in a speckled arctic pattern

Guncannon in a similar scheme.

Someone on a Gunpla Facebook group commented that there are skirmish rules available: https://donkusgaming.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/mssk-version-2-0-print-res.pdf

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #58 on: 15 January 2024, 11:29:53 »
MAGNIFICENT!  :shocked:

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 15 January 2024, 12:13:57 »
 :shocked: ... do we have an emoji for amazed?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #60 on: 15 January 2024, 13:02:35 »
The old eye-popping emoji conveyed it better, I think... ;)

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #61 on: 15 January 2024, 13:22:10 »
There's at least 2 rule sets I'm aware of, one is a minis style game, Was play-tested at some cons here and another Warhammer based one that is scaleable from minis to models.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #62 on: 15 January 2024, 13:36:46 »
MAGNIFICENT!  :shocked:

I just realized the perfect portmanteau: Gruntdam!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #63 on: 15 January 2024, 13:41:15 »
Also perfect! :)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #64 on: 15 January 2024, 15:36:32 »
Swapped the Zakus and Feddies to see how they look with the difference in lighting/background.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #65 on: 15 January 2024, 15:58:18 »
The camo schemes do match better... I think I like this set up best! :)

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 15 January 2024, 18:53:23 »
Looks like art straight out of some of the Gundam Mooks, like the different era reports.   Looks great!  I just finished a S Gundam Booster, and may build another kit, as the cold wet weather has any spraying on hold

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 17 January 2024, 20:10:17 »
The camo schemes do match better... I think I like this set up best! :)

Feels like it could've been lifted straight from the source manga/anime.  Very well done, @Chanman.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #68 on: 30 January 2024, 01:47:50 »
Looks like art straight out of some of the Gundam Mooks, like the different era reports.   Looks great!  I just finished a S Gundam Booster, and may build another kit, as the cold wet weather has any spraying on hold

Also funny because aside from the RX-78 on the side, these are mostly mooks! The EZ8, Ground Gundam, and Gouf might be kind of on the edge in that regard, but the rest are squarely grunt suits - aka mooks (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Mooks)
« Last Edit: 30 January 2024, 01:55:16 by chanman »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 30 January 2024, 02:53:59 »
I was using the Japanese portmanteau of Magazine / Books, like the Gundam Weapons series or the war chronicles.  🙂

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #70 on: 17 April 2024, 18:15:07 »
Zaku on the beach

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #71 on: 17 April 2024, 20:08:00 »
Excellent choice of background! :)