Author Topic: Kampfgruppe Steiner Operation: Götterdämmerung or how we survived the Dark Age.  (Read 75683 times)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
don't see a point to starting a whole new faction thread when this one still has pages left.

can anyone tell me about the Melissa Theater Militia units?
i'm working on a Alpha Strike unit for the 3140's. i'm using Cannonshop's idea of the Ersatzkampfgruppe.. Militia units drafted into frontline service. given the situation the Lyrans find themselves in in the 3140's, i can see them going to such lengths to get troops into the fight.
i already have the component forces for a 1000pv battlegroup, i just can't find enough info on the Lyran militia units to decide where the mech component would come from. (the vehicle component i've already picked, since the force in question is fairly basic and could be from a lot of worlds.) i figured that the mech component a battlegroup would come from a slightly more established force. i went with melissa theater because it seems out of the main fighting, and thus more likely to be able to free up troops.

or would a displaced militia unit from one of the Clan held zones make a better choice?

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Would they displace a MILITIA unit from a clan zone? I would imagine the Lyrans removing federal troops from the front line when they are losing a planet, but a militia unit not so much. Transport capacity is limited and they would certainly prioritize.

I am not familiar with this particular situation, but from what you say it sounds like the militia stuff is moving rear echelon units to the hot areas, not from the frying pan to the fire.
« Last Edit: 07 September 2018, 01:07:57 by Elmoth »

mmmpi

• Corporal
So, I'm looking at building companies for my favorite factions (2 lyran) and a few OpFor to use up my extra mechs.

Right now for the succession war era I have:
Atlas x2, Banshee, Hatchetman, Zeus x2, Battlemaster, Centurion, Dervish, Javelin, Commando, Wolfhound, Rifleman,
Victor, Archer, Fire Starter, Warhammer

I plan on expanding this to 24 mechs, a line company, and a lighting company.  I'm planning on equipping the lightning company with mechs that move at least 5/8, while the line will mostly be trooper style mechs and assaults.  Griffins and Phoenix Hawks for the LC and TBolts and such for the line company.  Still deciding the regiment.

My main question is around a future goal.  I want to make my units playable for each of the eras.  I was going to add four mechs to each company for each era/TRO.  What I was wondering is what would be flavorful additions to a lyran force.

I do have more models, though I felt they were themed better to other factions: a Canopian force, a FWL OpFor, and a WD unit as a 'dumping ground' for my combine mechs and shoguns.

I can list them if needed.

I'm also picking up both new starter boxes, and a friend is sending me his Robotech KS (He had the largest package), so I have those to draw on as well.

Thanks for your help, I am a bit lost.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
I made a Combat Manual Lite for House Steiner.
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=63772.0

If anybody has any time to look over it and check I didn't miss something, I'd appreciate it.
I could also use suggestions for additional unique characters...
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
Merry Christmas to the Steiner boys!

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
Say, do we know what *kind* of cancer killed Katrina Steiner?  Breast, bone, pancreas, or maybe CML?  If that was never elaborated in the material, it's fine but, I'm considering a Thing, and wouldn't want to mess up the 'biography' of one of the main characters (it's the cancer, the cancer is the character).
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
I've checked sarna and with JPArbiter, but could the thread give me a bit more detail on the Lyons TPM?  Minis would be particularly useful for the paint scheme, but just about anything would be helpful.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Rise from your grave!

Okay so...the way I see it, the Lyrans have fought effectively everybody.  The RWR, the Star League, back in the day.  Kurita and Marik for a few centuries.  After hooking up with the Davions, taking on Capellan raids and hitting the FWL from a new direction.  Suddenly, CLANS.  Wolves and Burds to start with, and the Jags in Bulldog.  Oh look, now we're fighting the Davions - and we're fighting the Lyrans too.  And in the meantime we're sending regiments into the Capellan periphery to hunt pirates.  Then the Blakists!  And after that, more Clans, with the Burds & Horses and Wolves dividing the place up nicely.  Add in the various raiders from the Republic.

So...by my count, that's 3 of 4 major invading Clans plus the Horses, all five Great Houses, the Word, the Republic, and half the Periphery as well as the OG Star League.  Can't really ask for a faction that's got more varied enemies everywhere...which regiments took on the most different factions? 
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
All too much for my taste, I have the feeling we are about to roll over and die(at least for a while like the FWL) if this goes on that way.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
It really feels like the Commonwealth has been written into a corner where only a heaping pile of author fiat can save it at this point.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
I'll pour out one for my LCAF Homies when that happens.

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
I think the Lyran's have a chance of coming out okay simply because both the Wolves and Falcons are likely going to significantly weaken themselves fighting over Terra. Although I don't think Trillian Steiner will be Archon once IlClan ends.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Oh, is that a new Steiner product aimed at Q4?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
What?
Where?
Who?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
I don't see any Q4 offerings in the Coming Soon page.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Minemech

• Captain
 The Lyran Commonwealth may have to undergo change, but it is not out of the fight yet.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
I don't see any Q4 offerings in the Coming Soon page.

Cubby's probably behind with the load of stuff they just told us about.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Hello all. Question: I do not have the lyran book, so. Question for you all:

Are there periods of lyran civil war or succession conflicts in the lyran commonwealth during the 3rd succession war? Looking at sarna i have seen several coups, but not conflict in more than one localized place. I am attempting to find a period to establish a merc company and this would be helpful.

Thx
Xavi

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Probably the biggest thing was when Katrina Steiner fled to the Periphery in 3004, then came back in 3007 to depose Alessandro Steiner.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Interesting to see that Alex Carlyle survived the Jihad and became the count of Odessa, makes you wonder if the planetary militia are now know as the Gray Death.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
And now we now why the virus fizzled out there, the universe decided to give Caryle a break by giving him a place to settle down.
Shoot first, laugh later.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Looking for some Lyran guidance here.

I'm building a Jihad-era Lyran force, using up my pre-KS minis. The company of 'Mechs will look like this:

Lance   
   Marauder II
   Longbow
   Zeus
   Dire Wolf
Lance   
   Phoenix Hawk
   Dervish
   Cicada
   Hermes II
Lance   
   Commando
   Wasp
   Spider
   Jenner

Supporting elements will include Savannah Masters, Patton tanks, Fenris BA, Gray Death BA, and others to be determined to bulk out a combined-arms battalion.

So, question. Would this be reasonable to find as part of the Furillo TMM? Yes, that TMM - Tommy Hogarth's unit. Who favour lighter units (the second and third companies look OK by this.)

I'd be prepared to call the assault-ey lance ex-friends of Hogarths from the 22nd Skye or 7th Donegal who followed him back to Furillo, if that would help.

Opinions sought! Thanks in advance.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
The chaos and destruction of the Jihad makes it easy to justify all sorts of weirdness.  Could be an ad-hoc company put together by survivors of other units who joined up with with the Furillo TMM due to it being the nearest place they could go.  Or the mechs are the result of replacement salvage: a Marauder II or Daishi might be weird for that unit, but it's not like anyone would say no (except for that one guy talking to himself in the corner who refers to his Ostscout as "My Precious", but we don't talk about him).

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Justify the MAD II & Dire Wolf as retired LAAF officers returning to the flag?
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Quite plausible.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
So I'm already seeing it that the Dire Wolf and Marauder II, plus a couple of others, could be ex-Skye Rangers, with the actual CO in the Zeus being ignored by them ;) Will give those ones black arms, or something subtle like that ;)

Could I get away with 4 platoons Arrow IV artillery? Or is that a big much :) I'm making these more for the fun of making the minis/units, and the last time I made a Lyran infantry company it ended up looking like this ...

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
Reading this:
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/general-discussion/upcoming-releases-xx-the-page-reference-we-missed/
it seems that the demise of the LC is over and we are going to take some worlds back. Good that the green chickens are gone, hated them right from the start.

MarauderD

• Major
Yep, I'm excited for a healthy and vibrant LCAF.  Always hated the Turkeys, and I hated the name Lyran Alliance.  Commonwealth or death, baby.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Adam Steiner switched the name back after the Jihad.

Also, yay, no more Falcons!

Rainbow 6

• Captain
I wonder if the Arcturan General is looking to recreate the Tamar Pact.