Author Topic: ISaW - smaller formations  (Read 2593 times)

epic

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
ISaW - smaller formations
« on: 27 January 2018, 15:42:41 »
Working on a project for an ISaW scenario; looking for suggestions on units, especially merc units, that are less than 1 regiment in strength. 

Some that are battalions, some that are in house books (3025 era fyi) as company strength.

I have ideas such as:
1. Reduce ACS strength and maintenance costs accordingly (fractionally).  This makes a company strength unit listed really cheap.
2. Ignore company strength formations
3.  Combine units that are battalion strength or less with other units for combat and maintenance purposes. (not my preference, but have at least thought of it)

This then leads into another problem, mostly to do with Capellan formations.  I THINK I have an answer for this, and it may even apply to the others, but it penalizes starting Capellan commands a bit unfairly.  That being said, they have enough expendable income to remedy some of this.
Several units ARE regiments that are understrength - Capellans are the biggest offender of this, with many regiments as listed only at 2 battalions.

My proposed solution; to treat these regiments as regiments (which they are as per the rules anyways) but missing a battalion... and therefore eligible for repair/refit to bring them up to strength. 

Now... that could theoretically be applied to the other units/formations as well, but some are purposefully understrength, having never BEEN a regiment.  Lindon's Company, Marshigama's Legionaires, that sort of thing.  So it doesn't quite... fit.

It seems overpriced for such small units unless we get into fractions.

Anyone have any other ideas about handling this?  I'm curious and open to suggestions.
Agent # 703

epic

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: ISaW - smaller formations
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2018, 10:48:20 »
read through and battalion stuff is good.  Any ideas on the company sized commands listed?  Can't even generate acs stats for a company of mechs...
Agent # 703

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2018, 16:42:56 »
FM:Mercs has a bunch of units, so's at least one fanbook.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2018, 17:13:50 »
read through and battalion stuff is good.  Any ideas on the company sized commands listed?  Can't even generate acs stats for a company of mechs...

Actually, the ACS values are rather simple.  For example, a FWLM Light 'Mech company during the 2nd SW:
Movement:  7
TMM: 5
ARM:  9
SRV:  3
MRV:  3
LRV:  0
PV:  27
SPECIAL:  RCN

The values listed in 1st SW, 2nd SW, and CO are for the most part already calculated for you.

The Purist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2018, 00:52:03 »
...My proposed solution; to treat these regiments as regiments (which they are as per the rules anyways) but missing a battalion... and therefore eligible for repair/refit to bring them up to strength. 

Now... that could theoretically be applied to the other units/formations as well, but some are purposefully understrength, having never BEEN a regiment.  Lindon's Company, Marshigama's Legionaires, that sort of thing.  So it doesn't quite... fit...

We gave single battalion house units the same command structure as merc commands (1/1/1/1) with ability to add battalions. The cost per battalion is 1/3 +x of a regiment cost (1/3 +1 for lt.; +2 for med; +3 for hvy; +4 for aslt). The battalion must fit within the size limits found on page 123 of 2SW or 89 of CO (ie: no aslt bns in light reg't). The player must still role on the random table to determine what the actual battalion received will be. You may have paid (8+2)x 1.5 RP for a green medium battalion (x1.5 for reliable, x1 for green for example) but the supply department might still deliver a light battalion (or a heavy).

Merc units with a battalion or less may have a full command or not depending on 'fame' level. Same rule applies for expansion. Companies (ie: Snord's Irregulars, Black Widows, etc.) exist and are added to battalions, making them reinforced (and nasty).

Not canon but if using the named regiments/commands from the 3025 source books it adds some colour to the generic nature of the ACS system.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2018, 02:32:34 by The Purist »
Words ought to be a little wild for they are the assault of thought upon the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

"...Remember also the two "prime directives" in playing BattleTech:
1. HAVE FUN
2. DON'T LET YOURSELF GET SO CAUGHT UP IN THE RULES THAT YOU STOP HAVING FUN"
Page 168 - Reunification War