Author Topic: Terrain for TW?  (Read 462 times)

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
  • They said "Risk" was a long game
Terrain for TW?
« on: 10 April 2024, 12:55:32 »
I enjoy using the standard paper sheets for TW but I'm curious if anybody uses alternative 2D/3D terrain 
« Last Edit: 10 April 2024, 13:01:02 by Gray_Noton_4lfe »
Corporal: Were under attack general.
General: who's attacking?
Corporal: Those 25 Urbanmech Mechwarriors you offended last week on Solaris.
General: That's....unfortunate. Could you remind me what I said to offend them?
Corporal: You said their Urbanmechs look like Locust-1Vs Sir.
General: ahh... I remember now.

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
Re: Terrain for TW?
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2024, 13:37:07 »
There is a whole forum of such folks down below under Gaming Terrain. Some really impressive stuff down there.
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2024, 15:18:38 »
Don't think I've ever actually used a mapsheet, myself.

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2024, 16:11:51 »
Don't think I've ever actually used a mapsheet, myself.

What?!?! If you never played with a map sheet how do you play then

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2024, 16:34:57 »
You use terrain and use inches for ranges to move and fire when you do not use a master to play the game. Played with out maps all the time for the last 30 years or so.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2024, 17:31:36 »
We do use maps often, and I've come up with some stuff for fun, like painted up monopoly houses, pill containers for hangars, and Monsterpocalypse buildings for other things.   It really does make the game more visually appealing when they're to scale with the map.  And, it helps when the mech minis are too.   :grin:
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2024, 18:14:11 »
What?!?! If you never played with a map sheet how do you play then

Like that usually.

Less elaborate and smaller while I played evening games, but on the same terrain otherwise that I play Manouvre Group Sci-fi on. (I use the same terrain for DBM/Horde of the Things (15mm fantasy) too, on rare occasion.) Even when I first started BT in the 90s, thanks to the animated show, I just played on the tabletop or the carpet with books and such as buildings with homebrew Clan mechs using LEGO men. Slightly later, I used the same terrain I played Dirtside II on (before that was replaced by Hexon II).

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #7 on: 10 April 2024, 18:32:49 »
You use terrain and use inches for ranges to move and fire when you do not use a master to play the game. Played with out maps all the time for the last 30 years or so.

There's also those great felt cloths w/ variable size hexes on them allowing you to both use custom terrain & still keep a "hexed" feel.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2024, 18:39:55 »

Like that usually.

Less elaborate and smaller while I played evening games, but on the same terrain otherwise that I play Manouvre Group Sci-fi on. (I use the same terrain for DBM/Horde of the Things (15mm fantasy) too, on rare occasion.) Even when I first started BT in the 90s, thanks to the animated show, I just played on the tabletop or the carpet with books and such as buildings with homebrew Clan mechs using LEGO men. Slightly later, I used the same terrain I played Dirtside II on (before that was replaced by Hexon II).

Thats awesome, and you use that for TW right?
« Last Edit: 10 April 2024, 18:42:04 by Gray_Noton_4lfe »

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2024, 18:44:11 »
I know people use 3D terrain for Alpha Strike but I didn't know how you would play TW with it.

Do you just turn Mp to inches then? 

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 10 April 2024, 23:19:16 »
Welcome to the Gaming Terrain part of the boards.

In probably over 20 years the only time I've used paper maps was as a guide to create a 3D
copy of it for a specific scenario.

I use a combination of Geo-Hex Battlescape , MKP printed hex mats, and my own custom work
for my terrain. They all use 1.5 inch hexes. These allow a little more room for terrain features
around a hex base then the standard maps while allowing a large playable map.

Here's a sample: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=54189.0

I'm working on a new thread series but waiting on some supplies to finally come in.
The terrain boards are often kinda slow. Many of us have been there done that for so long
that we forget what it's like at the beginning and changes come slow.
Currently Hextech offers a good 3D line to spruce up existing maps.

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 11 April 2024, 05:04:09 »
Thats awesome, and you use that for TW right?

BattleTech, Sci-Fi Manoeuvre Group, DBM... Actually, as the only other games I play are starships, that's the exhaustive list.

I know people use 3D terrain for Alpha Strike but I didn't know how you would play TW with it.

Basically. Somewhere around, there's a set of official miniatures rules PDF (which used to in the main rules before Total War); but they're not really necessary as MP to inches works and mechs have hex bases for measuring firearcs.

Strictly, I use use 2" to 30m (1 hex) these days, though I did use 1 to 1 for a long while and I think experiemented with 3" to 30m, I decided that the 2" to 30m was the best compromise. (I belive I only attempted changing the scale from 1 to 1 only when I first got HeavyMetalPro where you could scale the movement and ranges for printing the record sheets - something you can now do in MML, which I think I was at least partly responsible for asking for.)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2024, 22:09:23 »
There's also those great felt cloths w/ variable size hexes on them allowing you to both use custom terrain & still keep a "hexed" feel.

IMO, the hexes make it easier to play and it keeps things standardized.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #13 on: 13 April 2024, 00:21:37 »
Another option is making 3D hex sheets out of polystyrene boards.

I made these as direct copies of BT maps. The sheets are about 1" thick, which is perfect. I marked a pattern of hex dots, then 'embossed' the hex edges. Mapped & cut out the various layers, dug some out for water hexes, then glued together & painted.

They're a great mix of visual effect and the clarity of the hex map, which works really well for TW - Hellraiser's comment is exactly right. I've moved away from them as playing primarily AS now, but still keep them around.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2024, 00:30:44 by worktroll »
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2024, 09:28:30 »
Another option is making 3D hex sheets out of polystyrene boards.

I made these as direct copies of BT maps. The sheets are about 1" thick, which is perfect. I marked a pattern of hex dots, then 'embossed' the hex edges. Mapped & cut out the various layers, dug some out for water hexes, then glued together & painted.

They're a great mix of visual effect and the clarity of the hex map, which works really well for TW - Hellraiser's comment is exactly right. I've moved away from them as playing primarily AS now, but still keep them around.

How long did it take you to carve the hills?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #15 on: 13 April 2024, 17:20:15 »
A couple of afternoons to do the lot.

1) Mark hex pattern on sheet
2) Use plastic edge to emboss the hex lines
3) Trace out each level of the hill in hexes - eg. level 1, separately level 2, level 3 etc
4) Cut out
5) Stack & glue.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #16 on: 13 April 2024, 22:56:56 »
IMO, the hexes make it easier to play and it keeps things standardized.

Agreed,  my GM uses some big 4x6 mats w/ 2" hexes printed on them for Team v Team.

For 1v1 player we use a couple mapsheets.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 14 April 2024, 06:08:56 »
Guess its what you're used to. I actually find using hex maps less comfortable than not using them - but then I have 35 years of basically exclusively playing wargames that don't use hex maps (and I don't play board-games as such); even the RPG maps I play one are squared, rather than hexed[1].

That said, I have noted in the past there seems to be a discrete global divide in mindset - a lot more American sets of rules of my experience (e.g. BT, Silent Death) are hex-based than UK ones (e.g Full Thrust, and - much as I twitch to invoke it GW's rules). That may not be as true nowadsay of course, but it was fairly apparent twenty-plus years ago.

[1]Yes, you could argue that hexes are better overall for a gird if you're using one, but its bad enough trying to draw Paizo's sodding circuler and curved rooms and nearly-squar roomes-that-don't-quite-match-the-grid; trying to translate that to hexes at the same time would be a good way to send me INSANE.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 14 April 2024, 07:58:39 »
My group often played on my heroscape terrain.  We played per map sheet rules though.

If you're playing hexless terrain, it's the last Chapter of the Strategic Operation book.   

Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”