Author Topic: (Answered) Descending Line of Sight and Intervening Terrain  (Read 1232 times)

Ipecac

• Recruit
Hi there!

I just found this forum and searched about 10 pages without finding it, but please forgive me if this question has been done to death.  I've been having this dispute in every game for some time and it must have a resolution.

The attacker is standing on level 2 terrain, with partial cover (a lv 3 hex adjacent).  The defender is at range 9 on level 0 terrain.  At range 7 from the attacker is a hex of level 3 terrain.  Is there line of sight?

Before you answer, I am aware of the 3 point rules, and according to those, there is a clear shot because A) no adjacent hex is equal or higher than the attacker, B) no adjacent hex is equal or higher to the defender, and C) no hex between is higher that both..  That being said, the shot violates the laws of nature, if not the laws of battletech.

I've been forced to create a solution (House rules) which I call the Point of Descent rule which uses the simple concept of Rise/Run (slope) of a shot to determine at which point the LOS of the attacker effectively descends for purposes of intervening terrain.  It turns out to be quite simple and creates a much more realistic LOS system, imho. 

Is there something like this in place already that I have not found?  Or is this shot possible?

Just for funsies, I'm attaching a .doc with my house rules and POD table. 
Thanks!
« Last Edit: 13 September 2016, 21:41:36 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Descending Line of Site and Interviening Terrain
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2013, 17:28:34 »
The basic Line Of Sight rules in the box set and TW level rules aren't intended to conform to the laws of physics: they're intended to be easy to use.  As such, LOS exists in the example you provided.

The Line of Sight and Deadzones rules in Tactical Operations, p.79-80 accomplishes much of the same as your suggested rule set (there's a policy against reviewing unsolicited materials, so your document has not been reviewed).

You're of course welcome to use any rules you wish in your own games.  Cheers.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0