Author Topic: (Answered UPDATED) Fall damage from jumping into water  (Read 2370 times)

qlipoth

• Recruit
(Answered UPDATED) Fall damage from jumping into water
« on: 06 April 2016, 21:48:47 »
OK.  so I've taken my spider and jumped into water... Lets say it's from Level 3 to Depth 3.

PSR happens, and I blow it.

Uh oh.... how many levels did I fall?  Well... where did I fall from? 
  • Was it from the Level 3 (Smack the surface from level 3, then sink 3 levels?)  (6+6=12 damage)
  • I have 8 Jump MP... did I plow all the way up to level 11 before plunging to the Briny deep? (18+6=24 Damage)
  • Maybe I jumped fine and dandy, then lost my balance when I hit the surface, and only fell from there (6 damage)
  • Or did I make it just fine until I entered that 3rd level of depth and had to make the PSR, which means I only fell from... what?  Depth 2? (3 damage)
  • Heck maybe I lightly touched down, then forgot to lock my knees and dropped in place (2 damage)

« Last Edit: 20 July 2023, 17:59:41 by Xotl »

qlipoth

• Recruit
Re: (Research) So I jumped into water and I fell. How much damage?
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2016, 14:14:19 »
I've continued to think on this, and have had some thoughts that might narrow down the options:

If the surface of the water had been just flat ground at level 0, no PSR would be needed to land there.  Based on that, I feel like we can assume that the mech did not fall until it was in the water.  Therefore, we should be able to eliminate all of the options that have it taking "Bellyflop" damage and stick with the "sinking" part.

Now jump jets don't work underwater, so it stands to reason that it would be difficult to land your mech properly, since it is pretty much sinking from the surface on down with nothing to stabilize it.

Based on these, I'm thinking that the most likely answer is:

I fell at the surface and then sank, so I take ((TONS / 10) * DEPTH)/2 damage

I look forward to hearing the opinions of those more experienced.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) So I jumped into water and I fell. How much damage?
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2016, 11:04:25 »
I realize TW is not very specific on this: errata will be issued.

Note that you can't jump directly to Depth 3 water, as you can't fire your jump jets in water.  So you reach the hex surface and then sink to the bottom.  Here's the errata:

Replace the water subsection on p. 53 with the following:

Into Water: A ’Mech jumping into a water hex must make a Piloting Skill Roll (see p. 59) as it enters the water hex; this roll does not occur when the ’Mech “touches down” to the bottom of the hex, but is triggered by passing the water barrier. For the purposes of these rules, if the PSR is successful, the ’Mech is placed at the bottom of that hex immediately, regardless of its depth. If the roll fails, the ’Mech falls a number of levels equal to the depth of the water hex, but the resulting damage is halved (round down).
     Out of Water: Jump jets cannot be fired while submerged. As such, a ’Mech standing in Depth 1 water may not fire jump jets located in its legs, and a ’Mech standing in Depth 2 or deeper water cannot jump at all. For example, a ’Mech with a Jumping MP of 5 that has one jump jet in each leg and one in each torso location may only use 3 Jumping MP when jumping out of Depth 1 water.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2016, 17:35:12 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

qlipoth

• Recruit
Re: (Answered) Jumped into water and fell. How much damage?
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2016, 13:08:07 »
Thank you.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Answered) Jumped into water and fell. How much damage?
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2016, 17:34:20 »
Answer above updated with errata based on material found in the upcoming BattleMech Manual.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0