Author Topic: (Answered) Accidental fall from above damage problems  (Read 1235 times)

Alfaryn

• Master Sergeant
There seem to be a few rules disparities and other problems when it comes to resolving damage from accidental falls from above in BMM, TW and AGoAC rulebook:

1. Building Collapse examples on p. 74 BMM and pp. 178-179 TW describe prone Locusts hit by another falling 'Mech (Stinger in BMM, Spider in TW), and say to apply the resulting damage to the rear of the Locusts using the Front/Back column of the ’Mech Hit Location Table based on Accidental Falls From Above rules. The problem is that according to Accidental Falls From Above rules found on p. 57 BMM, p. 152 TW and p. 44 AGoAC rulebook the damage to "target" 'Mech (the one onto which another unit falls) using Punch Location Table, and make no exception for this rule if the "target" 'Mech is prone. I suspect that this is an error in the Accidental Falls From Above rules, and they should be corrected to match the Building Collapse examples (and DFA damage resolution rules) as far as determining damage locations to prone 'Mechs is concerned. Am I right about it?

2. Accidental Falls From Above rules say that the amount of damage taken by "target" 'Mechs equals falling 'Mech's tonnage divided by 10 and multiplied by a number of levels fallen "to the point of impact". There are a few problems with that:
  2a. Unlike BMM and AGoC rulebook TW does not say how to round this damage. I assume this needs to be corrected?
  2b. Unlike BMM and AGoC rulebook TW does not define what "the point of impact" is. Seems like an erratum again?
  2c. Both BMM and AGoC rulebook say that "the point of impact" is at "the level of the underlying hex plus the level of the target ’Mech". The problem with it is that this does not match Building Collapse examples mentioned earlier - in both these examples Locusts were prone on Level 0 and were hit by 'Mechs falling from Level 3 roofs. The way I read it the Locusts should take damage equal to falling 'Mechs' tonnage divided by 10 and multiplied by 2, since the point of impact is at Level 1 (level 0 of the underlying hexes plus 1 level of height of the prone Locusts), but the Building Collapse examples say to multiply by 3, not 2, as if the point of impact was at Level 0. Are the Accidental Falls From Above rules or the Building Collapse examples wrong here? Or do I misunderstand the rules somehow?

3. Note that if the Accidental Falls From Above rules together with clarifications from BMM and AGoC rulebook (as I understand them) are correct then if a "target" 'Mech is standing two levels below a level from which another 'Mech is falling then the "target" 'Mech would suffer NO damage, because the "point of impact" would be at the same level the displaced 'Mech was falling from. Which is probably also a problem, one that I suspect may influence answers to 2c, and possibly lead to a change in BMM and AGoAC clarifications about where the "point of impact" is.

By the way, problems 2c and especially 3, are why I haven't reported 2a and 2b in the TW errata thread yet - no point in doing so if the rules may undergo a change beyond these straightforward clarifications.
« Last Edit: 21 September 2021, 21:46:12 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Accidental fall from above damage problems
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2021, 21:46:06 »
There seem to be a few rules disparities and other problems when it comes to resolving damage from accidental falls from above in BMM, TW and AGoAC rulebook:

1. Building Collapse examples on p. 74 BMM and pp. 178-179 TW describe prone Locusts hit by another falling 'Mech (Stinger in BMM, Spider in TW), and say to apply the resulting damage to the rear of the Locusts using the Front/Back column of the ’Mech Hit Location Table based on Accidental Falls From Above rules. The problem is that according to Accidental Falls From Above rules found on p. 57 BMM, p. 152 TW and p. 44 AGoAC rulebook the damage to "target" 'Mech (the one onto which another unit falls) using Punch Location Table, and make no exception for this rule if the "target" 'Mech is prone. I suspect that this is an error in the Accidental Falls From Above rules, and they should be corrected to match the Building Collapse examples (and DFA damage resolution rules) as far as determining damage locations to prone 'Mechs is concerned. Am I right about it?

The example is wrong, as you have noted.  The Accidental Fall rules are not wrong; it's been that way since the Battletech Manual at a minimum.

2. Accidental Falls From Above rules say that the amount of damage taken by "target" 'Mechs equals falling 'Mech's tonnage divided by 10 and multiplied by a number of levels fallen "to the point of impact". There are a few problems with that:
  2a. Unlike BMM and AGoC rulebook TW does not say how to round this damage. I assume this needs to be corrected?

Yes.  This has been noted for errata.

2b. Unlike BMM and AGoC rulebook TW does not define what "the point of impact" is. Seems like an erratum again?

Yes.

2c. Both BMM and AGoC rulebook say that "the point of impact" is at "the level of the underlying hex plus the level of the target ’Mech". The problem with it is that this does not match Building Collapse examples mentioned earlier - in both these examples Locusts were prone on Level 0 and were hit by 'Mechs falling from Level 3 roofs. The way I read it the Locusts should take damage equal to falling 'Mechs' tonnage divided by 10 and multiplied by 2, since the point of impact is at Level 1 (level 0 of the underlying hexes plus 1 level of height of the prone Locusts), but the Building Collapse examples say to multiply by 3, not 2, as if the point of impact was at Level 0. Are the Accidental Falls From Above rules or the Building Collapse examples wrong here? Or do I misunderstand the rules somehow?

Should be "the level of the underlying hex plus the level of the target ’Mech –1."
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register