Author Topic: (Answered) Actual hexes moved versus total hexes moved  (Read 2260 times)

Grave

• Lieutenant
  • All Your Salvage Are Belong To Us
I'm teaching one of my friends how to play Battletech.  He's got the system down fairly quickly, but he has one particular hangup.  I like to kite my smaller units around him quite a bit to force his to hit modifiers as high as they can possibly go.

Occasionally, this means my Mechs may turn a loop, cut a diagonal, or otherwise move in a less than straight line to achieve a high modifier.

He is a competition shooter in real life and argues that from an attacker's point of view, it matters more how much actual distance is covered by a target than how much that target may or may not move within a given bit of terrain, especially something as big as a multi ton engine of destruction.

I'm fairly certain that the answer is total hexes moved, (as that is how I've always played it, for years) but I can't find anything specific in TW to prove the point definitively enough for him.

So, if by drawing a straight line, a total of five hexes is traversed, but counting the hexes a given Mech actually moved in, there are seven hexes traversed, which counts towards the movement to hit modifier?
« Last Edit: 20 August 2012, 01:47:32 by Xotl »

Yea, it really is that fast....

Grave

• Lieutenant
  • All Your Salvage Are Belong To Us
Re: Actual hexes moved versus total hexes moved
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2011, 14:34:31 »
Bump?

Yea, it really is that fast....

Chunga

• Patron Saint of Team Davion
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • <3
Re: Actual hexes moved versus total hexes moved
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2011, 15:29:12 »
It's total hexes moved. Total Warfare page 108.
« Last Edit: 01 August 2011, 15:38:18 by Chunga »
"Don't think 'cos I understand, I care." - Sneakerpimps
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I wasn't there.  If I was there, I was sleeping.  If I wasn't sleeping, I didn't hear or see anything.
Money has never been a problem for Davion. "Why waste money on social services when you can spend it on weapons instead?" - aldous

Register