Author Topic: The Federated Sun's Reborn  (Read 255663 times)

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
Re: The Federated Sun's Reborn
« Reply #1230 on: 15 December 2019, 12:20:56 »
Okay guys I've got a question.

The ComGuards. They started this timeline with 50 Divisions worth of troops. They lost almost 10 full divisions at Caph, more to attacks from sleeper agents, and then lost a fair few more in running battles with the WOB throughout the CapCon and then again in the Combine recently as well as general losses fighting the WOB.

Now on the other hand they've also gained a huge support base for equipment - so they have probably kept up their battlemech/tank/infantry ratios rather than being forced into more infantry heavy formations. But how strong would the ComGuards be right now?

I'm thinking 30-35 divisions worth of troops. But I'm keen on hearing other thoughts.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #1231 on: 15 December 2019, 12:53:14 »
I would guess a 20-30 divisions capable of frontline deployment and 10-20 divisons that are currently fit only for garrison posting. I guess some divisions are little more than cadre force, training fresh troops that are picked by more engaged divisions, while heavily wounded and burnt out soldiers are sent there to recouperate.

Consideration had been given to inform the ComGuards or LAAF so that they could assign units to Task Force Nightfire, but had been rejected as a security risk.
Good, fewer in the know means fewer chances for inteligence leaks.

But I would have let LC and ComStar know about the fleet building up.  I just would have told them that it was going to fight the clan (tell that that to comstar)  and I would stay that they were going to New Earth (tell that to the LC).
That's a terrible idea. First of all, wobies are not completely stupid and would probably realise that hesperus is the target, not to mention that knowledge of the fleet departure could embolden them to launch their raids into FS (there are already WoB ships sneaking there). Secondly, people hate it a lot more if you outright lie to them, rather than if you just keep them in the dark.
Shoot first, laugh later.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #1232 on: 15 December 2019, 13:14:50 »
It also would have put the two forces of the Lyrans and ComStar out of place expecting to fight in one area and being left to die. Not something an ally should do and would hurt relations.

good point

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1233 on: 15 December 2019, 13:30:54 »

The ComGuards. They started this timeline with 50 Divisions worth of troops. They lost almost 10 full divisions at Caph, more to attacks from sleeper agents, and then lost a fair few more in running battles with the WOB throughout the CapCon and then again in the Combine recently as well as general losses fighting the WOB.

Now on the other hand they've also gained a huge support base for equipment - so they have probably kept up their battlemech/tank/infantry ratios rather than being forced into more infantry heavy formations. But how strong would the ComGuards be right now?

I'm thinking 30-35 divisions worth of troops. But I'm keen on hearing other thoughts.

I'd probably cap it at 30 divisions based on those losses. I think the other point to be considered is where are they recruiting from?

Adventwolf

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1234 on: 15 December 2019, 14:04:09 »

I would say at the higher end of that number. It's not like ComStar is not recruiting more replacement units. And it has been years for them so even with the losses they took they should be recovering. They have their enclaves in the FedSuns, Lyrans, and FRR this entire time to draw from. The locations with their shipyards and factories plus up to recently they had recruits from the Combine as well. Even if most of the new units were sent to Garrison positions that still frees up the older and more experienced ComGuard they are replacing to be moved to combat units. The ComGuard like the FedSuns has been growing stronger as time goes on. They may not have the numbers they did at the start of the story but they should have been expanding faster than the losses they are taking. As well as faster than the WoB with all the constant expansion of factories they are funding and getting
Fun quest that need more people:

Skywalker For Senator (Star Wars) - Q, Star Wars: Beyond the Republic, We Stand Against the Stars (Gundam/Macross) Crossover, Mobile Suit Gundam: Divided Federation (Civ Quest), The Lords of Ruin -- Battletech/Killzone Crossover, Star War Moff Quest: Lost in Space

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1235 on: 15 December 2019, 14:16:10 »
So if I was to say put them at 20 combat capable (60-100% strength), 10 working up/battered units (40-60% strength) and 5 cadres (20-40% strength) would that sound about right?

As for recruits - my "guess" is 0% FWL, 5% CC (before it went under), 5% FRR, 5% Periphery (particularly the Outworlds), 20% LA, 25% Combine (before the recent unpleasantness) and 40% FS.

With the Combine probably falling of to 5%, and the CC states pretty much beat to hell and being 0-5%, FFR and Periphery the same, the new split will be with the LA on 30% and the FS on 50% of new recruits.

Or is that totally off?

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
  • Krampus is the reason for the Christmas season.
« Reply #1236 on: 15 December 2019, 14:28:24 »
So if I was to say put them at 20 combat capable (60-100% strength), 10 working up/battered units (40-60% strength) and 5 cadres (20-40% strength) would that sound about right?

As for recruits - my "guess" is 0% FWL, 5% CC (before it went under), 5% FRR, 5% Periphery (particularly the Outworlds), 20% LA, 25% Combine (before the recent unpleasantness) and 40% FS.

With the Combine probably falling of to 5%, and the CC states pretty much beat to hell and being 0-5%, FFR and Periphery the same, the new split will be with the LA on 30% and the FS on 50% of new recruits.

Or is that totally off?

I'd say more from the Periphery and les from the Suns, but that is just me.
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

If a group of necrophiliacs met a group of zombies, who would do the chasing?

Bacon is Life! Even vegaterians eat bacon.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #1237 on: 15 December 2019, 15:49:35 »

Or is that totally off?

I dunno about the CC. Joining the ComGuards is - along with turning mercenary - one of the most promising career choices for former CCAF personnel who don´t want to serve under the new management. And unlike mercenary life, as a member of the ComGuards the wouldn´t face the risk of having to fight the AFFS again at some point.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1238 on: 15 December 2019, 15:53:08 »
I'd say more from the Periphery and les from the Suns, but that is just me.

There simply isnt a large scale periphery population base thats pro-comstar. Best is the Outworlds and they are very sparse population wise.

I dunno about the CC. Joining the ComGuards is - along with turning mercenary - one of the most promising career choices for former CCAF personnel who don´t want to serve under the new management. And unlike mercenary life, as a member of the ComGuards the wouldn´t face the risk of having to fight the AFFS again at some point.

That is a good point!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #1239 on: 15 December 2019, 16:07:04 »
That is a good point!

The more I think about it, I can even see the FedSuns explicitly making that offer to all CCAF and Home Guard personnel on the worlds they captured - both to reduce the number of potential insurgents with military training, and to make it up to ComStar for delaying the plans to retake Terra. To help with the latter, they might even throw in captured CCAF hardware, or former hardware of AFFS units that refit to more advanced technology. A few divisions´ worth of troops could go a long way towards appeasing ComStar.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1240 on: 15 December 2019, 16:12:06 »
I'd agree that ComStar would probably have 20-30 Divisions at full strength with 10-20 divisions ranging from 'in reserve' to 'paper unit'. Mostly probably being used as HPG guards and cadres to slowly be built around.

I'd also put it that the full strength Divisions would also be somewhat better equipped than the OTL ComGuards. Not simply with Battlemechs, but with a LOT more Battle Armor equipped infantry thanks to the massive investments in the Federated Suns to churn out huge amounts of Battle Armor. Somewhat like the Dragonlords in that sense.

As for new personnel, its an interesting question. I have been expecting for some time now the SLDF to finally just collapse as inertia runs out, with the SLDF splintering and the Star League structures just shutting down completly. Some units heading to the Federated Suns (like the people who were the old Ulhans) but a lot in turn heading for ComStar as the next best thing in terms of their role and position. Giving them a welcome influx of trained and well equipped troops.

I'd actually expect that they would be growing faster than the WOB in absolute personnel too.
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1241 on: 15 December 2019, 16:33:51 »
The more I think about it, I can even see the FedSuns explicitly making that offer to all CCAF and Home Guard personnel on the worlds they captured - both to reduce the number of potential insurgents with military training, and to make it up to ComStar for delaying the plans to retake Terra. To help with the latter, they might even throw in captured CCAF hardware, or former hardware of AFFS units that refit to more advanced technology. A few divisions´ worth of troops could go a long way towards appeasing ComStar.

Again that's a good idea. Although a few former CCAF have been picked up by mercenary units or even the new march militias (carefully screened) theres probably a lot that could go to the COmGuards. Will think that over.

I'd agree that ComStar would probably have 20-30 Divisions at full strength with 10-20 divisions ranging from 'in reserve' to 'paper unit'. Mostly probably being used as HPG guards and cadres to slowly be built around.

I'd also put it that the full strength Divisions would also be somewhat better equipped than the OTL ComGuards. Not simply with Battlemechs, but with a LOT more Battle Armor equipped infantry thanks to the massive investments in the Federated Suns to churn out huge amounts of Battle Armor. Somewhat like the Dragonlords in that sense.

As for new personnel, its an interesting question. I have been expecting for some time now the SLDF to finally just collapse as inertia runs out, with the SLDF splintering and the Star League structures just shutting down completly. Some units heading to the Federated Suns (like the people who were the old Ulhans) but a lot in turn heading for ComStar as the next best thing in terms of their role and position. Giving them a welcome influx of trained and well equipped troops.

I'd actually expect that they would be growing faster than the WOB in absolute personnel too.

The ComGuards are DEFINITELY better equipped. High end battlemechs, aerospace fighters, tanks and BA have flooded into their formations. And more and more of their infantry are BA equipped.

As for the SLDF that is planned to be covered soon. The Second Star League is basically dead right now and everyone knows it. Including the SLDF.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2019, 16:40:23 by Billy Boy Mark II »

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #1242 on: 15 December 2019, 17:08:45 »
I would go with 30 Comstar Div in the field with 25 to 20 of them at full strength, and 5 div set up as training.  do not for get that they might be able to get good supply of space trained pax out of Taurian Concordat to go along with CC troops that want to leave or can not work with the FS. 

Adventwolf

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1243 on: 15 December 2019, 17:12:39 »
For the Periphery there might not be huge population centers when compared to the Inner Sphere but there are still Billions of people out there. The Taurians alone with the straight-up betrayal and manipulation that the WoB did to them would be full of people that want a chance at striking back. Since the TDF is being rebuilt at a slow rate the people are more likely to turn to the ComGuard or mercenary work to fight back on WoB.

Plus the Marian Hegemony while being less than ideal still has a fight with a WoB backed faction. That means they would be willing to look to ComStar for help. Again a way to help with the slaving of the Marian Hegemony is to make slaves less economic by introducing more labor-saving technology and automated systems. That would stop that practice, increase the quality of life for everyone, and increase the legitimacy of the state. Something that the Marian Hegemony would want above all else. Plus with the MoC most likely joining the WoB faction because of their crazy leader that put a second enemy to worry about.

Then you have the many independent worlds and nations that have decent populations with HPGs on them. All of those worlds and nations like the Fronc Reaches and Aurigan Coalition would have the population capable of supporting the ComGuard recruitment drives. And since periphery states and worlds tend to be worse off the people would jump at the chance to join ComStar and the ComGuard.

Skywalker For Senator (Star Wars) - Q, Star Wars: Beyond the Republic, We Stand Against the Stars (Gundam/Macross) Crossover, Mobile Suit Gundam: Divided Federation (Civ Quest), The Lords of Ruin -- Battletech/Killzone Crossover, Star War Moff Quest: Lost in Space

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1244 on: 15 December 2019, 17:38:35 »

Okay so considering things I'd say new recruits are probably divided as follows.

5% Combine
10% CC - mostly former CCAF
15% Minor powers - FRR, Periphery, etc...
30% Lyran
40% FS
« Last Edit: 15 December 2019, 18:38:00 by Billy Boy Mark II »

Kujo

• Sergeant
« Reply #1245 on: 15 December 2019, 18:06:18 »
Know there are Trillions of humans in the inner sphere, but what I have never gotten is how the various great houses can let their military aged citizenry become Mercs or Comguards.  Seems like they would do more to ensure their formations were filled out first rather then letting soldiers for hire or 'warrior monks' to recruit those who should be loyal to house X.  However even now with strong nation-states we have quasi-mercs, real mercs, and swiss guards so it's not as cut and dry as it should be, but it's still one of the things that BT does that leaves me a bit queasy.  Thank you.
For the FEDCOM For the Archon-Prince

Adventwolf

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1246 on: 15 December 2019, 18:09:27 »
It seems about right. With plenty of former military forces of the defeated powers moving to join ComStar as a way to get back at the ones that led to their destruction the WoB even the ones "allied" to the WoB woul.d have people turned on them.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #1247 on: 15 December 2019, 21:22:13 »
any update on what the WD are doing or what they have been up to?

Adventwolf

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1248 on: 15 December 2019, 22:51:31 »
That already got addressed they started their campaign against the Combine again. They are attacking the worlds near Outreach.

Adventwolf

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1249 on: 16 December 2019, 00:48:16 »
Also shouldn't the Ice Hellions and the Hell Horses already be launching their invasion of the Jade Falcon Occupation zone? With the Falcons battered from their last invasion, more worlds can be taken from them by the two clans. The Ice Hellions might even stay in the Inner Sphere but are more likely to get kicked out anyway. Plus the War of Reaving should also be starting in the Clan Homeworlds soon. That means that the Falcons definitely don't have the chance to attack the Lyrans again.

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1250 on: 16 December 2019, 04:07:38 »
3070 - June - Naval Operations

Meanwhile the Davion raider flotilla's ran rampant...

That is ... dangerous. Very dangerous. A lot of the norms of the 3rd Succession War have fallen by the wayside, but Jumpships were still pretty taboo. An occasional seizure or what not is one thing, but a massive and systematic looting of the entire DCA fleet isn't just an attack on the DCA/DCMS ... but very much attack on the Combines viability as an interstellar state. A massive strategic attack.

I mean I'm all for it ... but its very much the kind of thing that would get Nukes handed out like candy to defend against the Combine as they would have little left to use. For that matter, retaliation attacks against FedSuns civilian planets and soft targets with nukes and bioweapons. Possibly small and a pointed example at first, to make it very clear that a line has been crossed, but if you push the DC into a corner...

You MIGHT want to try hostage negotiations. Announce that the jumpships are being held until hostilities are over and the Federated Suns will give them back, no charge, when the Kuritians are ready to talk.

Operation Paris

Captain jumped the gun by popping the dropships early. But still a good result. Surprising that the yards are actually intact enough that they can be repaired rather than rebuilt after three days of careful shooting the f*#k out of them. But even so, it'll freeze the Combines warship construction for years - and indeed make it incredibly hard to even repair the ships they have! Not a bad outcome.

Operation Nightfire

If you use Black Boxes to the Lyrans you should be secure - especially if have one-time pads exchanged with the Lyrans.
With that said, far better to take no chances given the situation!

I personally also would have tried to send, for political reasons if nothing else, more units that came from the FedCom days. Like the Revenants and more of the Dragoons from the FedCom days.  But, obviously, there are practical reasons why thats not going to happen and I fully agree with focusing on speed rather than theatrics.

I am really looking forward to the stalwart, exhausted but utterly implacable defenders on Hesperus getting a strange fax of 'Look to our coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East' and nothing else. So with a shrug on the fifth day at dawn some scouts pop out a sally hatch to have a look...

Cue music & avalanche drop preceeded by a f*#koff huge naval weapons barrage that smashes the MD line wide open, followed by the awed Lyran commanders watching the feed muttering comments about how the damn Federated Suns ALWAYS has to make an entrance of things and be the Big Damn Heroes...

In any event, looking forward to FINALLY seeing the showdown between the Toaster Worshipers and the Fleet Carriers strike wings carrying enough Canned Sunshine to make even the Taurians grudgingly nod in appreciation :D
« Last Edit: 16 December 2019, 04:29:03 by Chris OFarrell »
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

TigerTiger74

• Private
« Reply #1251 on: 16 December 2019, 04:30:19 »
The Trojan Horse move with the FSS Covenant worked really well !

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1252 on: 16 December 2019, 04:35:36 »

The Zeta Battalion's at the front - Alpha Regiment is protecting Outreach for now.

Also shouldn't the Ice Hellions and the Hell Horses already be launching their invasion of the Jade Falcon Occupation zone? With the Falcons battered from their last invasion, more worlds can be taken from them by the two clans. The Ice Hellions might even stay in the Inner Sphere but are more likely to get kicked out anyway. Plus the War of Reaving should also be starting in the Clan Homeworlds soon. That means that the Falcons definitely don't have the chance to attack the Lyrans again.

I've been a bit vague on what's happening outwith the FedSuns - I'm a full time lawyer, I have a decent social/family life, there's only so much time I can spend on the project. :p

So I'm leaving events off stage to develop. Basically I suspect the Ice Hellions are nosing around but so far no huge invasion. When they do they will probably concentrate on the Jade Falcons who've been hurt by the Wolves.

That is ... dangerous. Very dangerous. A lot of the norms of the 3rd Succession War have fallen by the wayside, but Jumpships were still pretty taboo. An occasional seizure or what not is one thing, but a massive and systematic looting of the entire DCA fleet isn't just an attack on the DCA/DCMS ... but very much attack on the Combines viability as an interstellar state. A massive strategic attack.

I mean I'm all for it ... but its very much the kind of thing that would get Nukes handed out like candy to defend against the Combine as they would have little left to use. For that matter, retaliation attacks against FedSuns civilian planets and soft targets with nukes and bioweapons. Possibly small and a pointed example at first, to make it very clear that a line has been crossed, but if you push the DC into a corner...

You MIGHT want to try hostage negotiations. Announce that the jumpships are being held until hostilities are over and the Federated Suns will give them back, no charge, when the Kuritians are ready to talk.

Captain jumped the gun by popping the dropships early. But still a good result. Surprising that the yards are actually intact enough that they can be repaired rather than rebuilt after three days of careful shooting the f*#k out of them. But even so, it'll freeze the Combines warship construction for years - and indeed make it incredibly hard to even repair the ships they have! Not a bad outcome.

If you use Black Boxes to the Lyrans you should be secure - especially if have one-time pads exchanged with the Lyrans.
With that said, far better to take no chances given the situation!

I personally also would have tried to send, for political reasons if nothing else, more units that came from the FedCom days. Like the Revenants and more of the Dragoons from the FedCom days.  But, obviously, there are practical reasons why thats not going to happen and I fully agree with focusing on speed rather than theatrics.

I am really looking forward to the stalwart, exhausted but utterly implacable defenders on Hesperus getting a strange fax of 'Look to our coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East' and nothing else. So with a shrug on the fifth day at dawn some scouts pop out a sally hatch to have a look...

Cue music & avalanche drop preceeded by a f*#koff huge naval weapons barrage that smashes the MD line wide open, followed by the awed Lyran commanders watching the feed muttering comments about how the damn Federated Suns ALWAYS has to make an entrance of things and be the Big Damn Heroes...

In any event, looking forward to FINALLY seeing the showdown between the Toaster Worshipers and the Fleet Carriers strike wings carrying enough Canned Sunshine to make even the Taurians grudgingly nod in appreciation :D

The aim is to force the Kurita's to the peace table. It does come with risks and the DCA is going to be pushing to unleash the nukes to try and lower the odds, but they know if they do the FSN will do the same - and they have a LOT more platforms to launch from.

Operation Paris wasn't just to take out the yards, but also do it in a very specific way: we can destroy them, but have only crippled them. If you escalate, we've proven we attack where we want bare that in mind.

Operation Nightfire is basically what units aren't committed and are in decent shape. Frankly the 5th FedSun's Dragoons was a push to include but they had to throw in one former FedCom unit. The rest are deliberately a mix of AFFS units new and old. Hell the fact that 3 out of the 6 didn't exist when the FedCom did should be a message in itself. Look how much stronger we are.

The AFFS plans to sweep Hesperus clean of the WOB and is sending enough ships (and yes they are carrying enough canned sunshine to make even a Taurian go "Damn!") to get the job done.

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1253 on: 16 December 2019, 04:47:18 »

The aim is to force the Kurita's to the peace table. It does come with risks and the DCA is going to be pushing to unleash the nukes to try and lower the odds, but they know if they do the FSN will do the same - and they have a LOT more platforms to launch from.

True but at this point the DCMS have frankly less to loose than the Federated Suns does. Especially if the orders come down to not focus on enemy military targets but to make it a point to Victor that the Combine have reached the 'you really want to throw down boy?' level by simply jumping a Corvette into an undefended system in the Draconis March, launching a single missile with the Curse of Galedon at the largest city and then jumping back out and letting the appropriate conclusions be reached (this IS exactly the scenario the bioweapon was developed for after all) as the planet dies horribly. That as powerful as it is, the Federated Suns Navy is nowhere near powerful enough to cover their civilians. And the Combines leadership couldn't give two hoots if the Federated Suns nukes a few cities on its worlds given that they are already targeting critical military-industrial targets (and in return the DCMS might just nuke the next AFFS landing zone)...

Things can spiral out of control FAST when you push people to this level. Just so long as Victor is aware he is really playing with fire by escalating to this level.

Operation Paris wasn't just to take out the yards, but also do it in a very specific way: we can destroy them, but have only crippled them. If you escalate, we've proven we attack where we want bare that in mind.

True, although the different is somewhat marginal in a lot of ways. But even so if nothing other than for face saving reasons, the Combine HAS to strike back at Victors yards now. Even if its Jhiad Bulls Suicide Charge style. Or the WOB starting up their own warships that are lurking in deep space inside the Federated Suns.

Operation Nightfire is basically what units aren't committed and are in decent shape. Frankly the 5th FedSun's Dragoons was a push to include but they had to throw in one former FedCom unit. The rest are deliberately a mix of AFFS units new and old. Hell the fact that 3 out of the 6 didn't exist when the FedCom did should be a message in itself. Look how much stronger we are.

And that is when the LCAF decided to send a Loki team in to kidnap Victor and strap him down to the Archons throne :P

The AFFS plans to sweep Hesperus clean of the WOB and is sending enough ships (and yes they are carrying enough canned sunshine to make even a Taurian go "Damn!") to get the job done.

*Anticipation intensifies*

But its actually a good move. If they pull it off, they smash a huge chunk of the WOB's most elite and well equipped forces in one battle AND knock out a pretty major chunk of their mobile warship firepower to boot.

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1254 on: 16 December 2019, 06:45:59 »
3070 - June Interlude - Necessity

Imperial Palace
Luthien
Pesht District
Draconis Combine

Fleet Admiral Hidaka Goro strode into the audience chamber and without a word threw himself down upon the floor before the sitting Coordinator. Abasing himself he finally spoke. "I have failed you my lord."

"You bring grim news then..." The Coordinator spoke softly as was his habit in these dark days.

"I do my lord. Your fleet yards at Midway have been destroyed as has the DCS Galedon Warrior, DCS Divine and Beautiful Wind and DCS Cherry Blossom's Fall." The Admiral kept his face to the floor ashamed beyond bearing at the fact that once again he was here to inform the Coordinator of further losses and disasters. "They destroyed a number of enemy dropships and fighters but all 3 enemy warships escaped albeit damaged."

"Are the yards repairable?" Theodore asked his prostrate Admiral.

"At great expense and with time, yes my lord. The jumpship slips are less damaged." Hidako Goro said frankly and then continued. "Combined with the losses of Dieron's yards and Altair's we have been reduced to the yards at Togura to build warships and those yards only have the Yamato slip and 2 slips for New Samarkand carriers. Although a second Yamato slip is under construction. The Kaga slip at Dover is still trying to rectify the problems there. Our remaining naval infrastructure is limited to the dropship yards at Schuyler and Chatham of Galileo Instruments, the LAW dropship yards here at the capital, Matabushi Incorporated's dropship yard at Avon, Midway Shipyards Scout jumpship yards at Schuyler, Stellar Trek's large jumpship yards at Chatham and their dropship shipyards at Dover and the handful of Tramp's produced at Isesaki by your cousins firm Isesaki Shipping."

Theodore Kurita already knew the perilous state of his naval industries but this stark reminder caused small spasms in his chest that he drove back. The medical team that was now never more than 10 seconds away would rush in if the monitors he wore under his robes caused them any great concern, yet now was not the time for weakness. "What you re saying is that we have been reduced to 2 capital slips 1 of which is still trying to produce it's first viable warship and 2 small warship slips and a handful of jumpship and dropship production sites... Which will cripple us not only militarily but also economically in short order?"

"Yes my lord. Combined with the losses of jumpships and dropships which continue to mount... We cannot maintain not only this war, but soon we will be unable to secure the continued existence of the Draconis Combine." The Fleet Admiral almost whispered the last words.

The Coordinator of the Draconis Combine sat quietly for a long time after that, so long that the Fleet Admiral thought the almost heretical thought that perhaps the Coordinator had fallen asleep. Yet finally he spoke. "Rebuild the yards at Midway. At the highest priority. Inform my cousin Chandrasekhar that I expect investments at his yards at Isesaki to increase Tramp production... Similar messages should be sent to the CEO's of all the companies that produce dropships and jumpships. Stellar Trek is to be informed that a new jumpship yard is to be built at Pesht. We are too vulnerable with only 3 yards producing jumpships and 2 of those minor yards. We must also add Inazuma yards to both Dover and Togura."

The Coordinator's admiral forced himself to speak despite knowing it could mean his death. "The cost my lord... We cannot afford it..."

"We must. Therefore we can." Theodore spoke softly but with iron in his tone. "We cannot afford not to do this Admiral. If you feel you cannot fulfil my wishes I will grant you the Honour of Wakizashi...?"

"I live to serve my lord. Your will shall be made manifest." The Admiral spoke to the floor.

"Good. Inform the guards outside that I wish to see my cousin Chandrasekhar personally, I require his counsel... And have my nephew Kitsune sent to attend upon me. I require his presence to lift my spirits..." Theodore waved a dismissal.

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1255 on: 16 December 2019, 06:48:47 »
True but at this point the DCMS have frankly less to loose than the Federated Suns does. Especially if the orders come down to not focus on enemy military targets but to make it a point to Victor that the Combine have reached the 'you really want to throw down boy?' level by simply jumping a Corvette into an undefended system in the Draconis March, launching a single missile with the Curse of Galedon at the largest city and then jumping back out and letting the appropriate conclusions be reached (this IS exactly the scenario the bioweapon was developed for after all) as the planet dies horribly. That as powerful as it is, the Federated Suns Navy is nowhere near powerful enough to cover their civilians. And the Combines leadership couldn't give two hoots if the Federated Suns nukes a few cities on its worlds given that they are already targeting critical military-industrial targets (and in return the DCMS might just nuke the next AFFS landing zone)...

Things can spiral out of control FAST when you push people to this level. Just so long as Victor is aware he is really playing with fire by escalating to this level.

True, although the different is somewhat marginal in a lot of ways. But even so if nothing other than for face saving reasons, the Combine HAS to strike back at Victors yards now. Even if its Jhiad Bulls Suicide Charge style. Or the WOB starting up their own warships that are lurking in deep space inside the Federated Suns.

And that is when the LCAF decided to send a Loki team in to kidnap Victor and strap him down to the Archons throne :P

*Anticipation intensifies*

But its actually a good move. If they pull it off, they smash a huge chunk of the WOB's most elite and well equipped forces in one battle AND knock out a pretty major chunk of their mobile warship firepower to boot.

While the Combine might prepared to risk a nuke to one of their border worlds, they also probably know that if they push victor enough he'll nuke Luthien. Or worse. And there is almost nothing they can do to stop him. Sure they can hit undefended worlds in retaliation, but he can take out ANY Combine world at this stage. Including the ones that House Kurita's members are sitting on.

You are right, the DCA is planning a strike. Although where they find the ships from is the issue. However that will be resolved...

As for Nightfire, yeah the AFFS is going to clean the WOB's clock not going to lie, and take out a lot of their vital units.

Billy Boy Mark II

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1256 on: 16 December 2019, 07:12:36 »
3070 - June Interlude - Response

Governor's Palace
Benjamin
Benjamin District
Draconis Combine

Gunji-no-Kanrei Hohiro Kurita gripped the data pad with the news of the disaster at Midway hard enough that the plastic frame of it buckled and then snapped, sending electrical component's flying in all directions. Calming himself with a great deal of effort he snapped at an aide. "I want to see the WOB's liaison officer. Now."

Waiting had always come hard to the heir of the Dragon, and the recent events had done little to make it easier. Yet he forced himself to calm as he waited until the robed Precentor from the WOB came in. Before the man could begin with all that "peace of Blake" crap he snapped. "Have you seen the reports from Midway?"

The Precentor forgo the usual pleasantries and nodded. "I have honoured Kanrei. It was my own order's holy station on Vanern that we have just returned to glorious functionality through the blessing's of Blake that forwarded the message."

With a short chopping nod the Kanrei nodded. "Good... Then you know we have to strike back! The Davion scum can't be allowed to get away with this...!"

"What does the Kanrei have in mind?" The Precentor sat without being asked, something that usually the Kurita princeling would have objected to but for now he was too focused on his hatred of the Davion Devils.

"They have destroyed one of our yards and launched orbital bombardments against civilian cities on the planet... We must strike back in the same manner!" Hohiro ground out. "We have to make them pay for this...!"

"And you need our help in doing this... Of course. We will stand ready to assist you in this matter, the Sword of Blake in our hands ready to strike out the perpetrator's of this heinous crime..." The Precentor forced his face into a grim faced resolve instead of the triumphant smile that threatened to spread across it. Editing the message from Midway had been child's play, and now it was paying dividends. "Do you have a target in mind?"

At the tip of Hohiro's tongue hung the names of the worlds he wanted to attack... New Avalon, Galax, New Syrtis, Robinson, etc... Yet he knew that the devil Victor wouldn't have left key shipyards and capital worlds unprotected... Best to limit the attack to a minor yet symbolic strike that had a higher chance of success. "Yes... I think that we should hit the world of Verde... The dropship yards there feed not only the AFFS but also the ComGuards and Duke Nelson is a major supporter of the First Prince... More the yards there are part of Victor's new industrial expansions... Destroying them would show the Fedrats that Victor isn't Kerensky come again!"

The Precentor stood and bowed deeply. "The yards and Verde will burn in payment for Midway. You have my word upon the Bones of Blake..."

kelgar04

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1257 on: 16 December 2019, 08:18:16 »
Well Hohiro and his WoB assclowns just signed his own death warrant, the smash that world to bedrock he can expect the Rabid foxes and the whole Davion Guards Brigade with Victor at its head to come after him along with a massive battlefleet.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #1258 on: 16 December 2019, 14:14:52 »
"They have destroyed one of our yards and launched orbital bombardments against civilian cities on the planet...
I see the wobies have spiced up the report to fuhrterly fire up Hohiro.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1259 on: 16 December 2019, 14:29:14 »
I disagree with you Billy Boy Mark II.
You talk of one nuke or so.
But what if the DC fires more?

Yes, a lot of planets were nuked in the first two Succession Wars, but the DC stands out of killing at least 80% of the entire population of two planets: Helm and Kentares.

And that is the difference between House Davion and House Kurita: Moral Values.

While I have no doubt (according to how Hohiro is described and no doubt at all about WOB) that the side of House Kurita is willing to go Kentares or worse.
But Victor is definitely NOT willing to go Kentares. He may order a surgical strike on Luthien (as you imply. But with nukes such a strike is never surgical) but he would limit (better said try to limit) the damage to the Imperial Palace and industrial sites.
Hohiro and the WOB are willing to go all in without restraint.
Is Victor really willing to go down this path?
Does MIIO have no psychological department that tells Victor that Hohiro is very close to going critical and that the WOB will do their best to push him into this direction?

Register