Author Topic: (Answered) CO - Colony Creation / Population  (Read 2388 times)

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
(Answered) CO - Colony Creation / Population
« on: 06 November 2017, 10:09:22 »
CO pg123 states to multiply the population generated from the founding date and distance from Terra by 0.05 (uninhabitable) if the atmosphere is very thick (does that mean if the planet has a very high atmosphere on a previous roll?) vacuum or trace, and if gravity is over 1.5. 

And then there is another modifier to multiply by 0.8 if gravity is < 0.8 or > 1.2 so, if a planet has a gravity of 1.6 it's population is multiplied by 0.05 and then again by 0.8?  Since it has over 1.5 gravity and is greater than 1.2.
« Last Edit: 07 November 2017, 18:39:46 by Xotl »

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: Campaign Operations: Colony Creation / Population
« Reply #1 on: 06 November 2017, 19:26:10 »
CO pg123 states to multiply the population generated from the founding date and distance from Terra by 0.05 (uninhabitable) if the atmosphere is very thick (does that mean if the planet has a very high atmosphere on a previous roll?) vacuum or trace, and if gravity is over 1.5. 

Oops. Yes, it means "very high." I'll note that in errata.

And then there is another modifier to multiply by 0.8 if gravity is < 0.8 or > 1.2 so, if a planet has a gravity of 1.6 it's population is multiplied by 0.05 and then again by 0.8?  Since it has over 1.5 gravity and is greater than 1.2.

The gravity modifier should be rewritten as "below 0.8G or 1.2 to 1.5G." Then the 0.8x modifier would only stack with the "uninhabitable" condition of x0.05 if some other uninhabitable situation applied, like a very thick atmosphere. ;)

Does that work, or do you have any other wording suggestions for the modifiers?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 06 November 2017, 19:46:55 »
Well, what is uninhabitable gravity?  Some of the planets my thing has generated I've seen up to 2.0 gravity.  Using the real-world formulas for a planet's mass (75 - 125% of Earth) and a planet's diameter (75 - 125% of Earth) it will get up to 2.0 and usually no lower than 0.6 gravity that I have seen.  So x0.8 for < 0.8 or > 1.2 is ok but, I do think there would need to be a uninhabitable gravity limit that would apply x0.05.  But, then that also wouldnt make sense to stack with the 0.8 to 1.2 modifier.  I dont know how you could word that other than just putting in a *Does not stack with uninhabitable mod due to gravity or something.

What would space stations and asteroid fields (Star's End) count as "outposts" for the population table?

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 06 November 2017, 20:11:34 »
Well, what is uninhabitable gravity?

Over 1.5Gs, when a significant fraction of the population starts have regular heart trouble. Extra gravity isn't just carrying around more weight - one of the ways it manifests is higher blood pressure requirements to get blood to the brain.

Some of the planets my thing has generated I've seen up to 2.0 gravity.  Using the real-world formulas for a planet's mass (75 - 125% of Earth) and a planet's diameter (75 - 125% of Earth) it will get up to 2.0 and usually no lower than 0.6 gravity that I have seen.

That's about what I was aiming for, something that would bracket and exceed canon, published gravity (0.5G for Riken Minor and 1.7G for Promised Land). And, yes, that range of gravities could generate worlds with reduced habitability. Just like it's hard to get habitable worlds around some types of stars.

So, proposed errata, feedback welcome:

THE ERROR: The planet condition modifier, "Gravity below 0.8G or above 1.2G" appears to overlap the "Uninhabitable Modifier," which includes "Gravity over 1.5Gs."

THE CORRECTION:
1) Delete "gravity is over 1.5Gs" from Uninhabitable row.
2) Change "Gravity below 0.8G or above 1.2G" to "Gravity below 0.8G or 1.2-1.5Gs"
3) Add row, "Gravity above 1.5Gs," with a modifier of x0.5.

What would space stations and asteroid fields (Star's End) count as "outposts" for the population table?

I'd count them as uninhabitable worlds rather than outposts. You could potentially have a large population (500 million x 4d6 x 0.05), like in the Slowboat Colony "Columbia," which is settled in an asteroid belt.

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2017, 21:00:58 »
I like it.  x0.5 or x0.05 for over 1.5 gravity?

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 07 November 2017, 18:28:25 »
I like it.  x0.5 or x0.05 for over 1.5 gravity?

x0.5 for gravity over 1.5G, not 0.05. The world will probably be uninhabitable for other reasons if gravity keeps climbing over 1.5Gs, no need to double up on 0.05 modifiers. Also, I have to explain Touring The Stars: Promised Land's 1.7Gs and 123 million residents... :)

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
Re: (Answered) CO - Colony Creation / Population
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2017, 19:04:37 »
Yeah my thing doesnt always seem right in my opinion like for Star's End:

Code: [Select]
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) has lore
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) star class= M
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) star subtype= 5
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) star luminosity= V
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) star type= M5V generated
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) Gravity= 0.75
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) SysPos= 2 generated to find AU from star
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) Temp= -117 generated
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) percent water= 15
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) has none / a toxic atmosphere
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) discovered on 8/1/2172
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) discovered by TA
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) xcoord= -83.244
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) ycoord= 432.154
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) dist= 440.098447227436
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) year <= 2780 & dist < 500
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) has a pop of 650000000
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) has a vacuum, trace, or very high atmosphere, pop= 32500000
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) has < 0.8 or > 1.2 gravity, pop= 26000000
Star's End (Novo Cressidas) has <= 40% water, pop= 20800000

Though I know there already is data for Star's End's population that just isnt in the Xml so it does this since it is within <500ly of Terra.