Author Topic: The Quest  (Read 167251 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: The Quest
« Reply #30 on: 04 November 2018, 19:41:57 »
I know the clan invasion was supposed to be bad as far as casualties, but seriously... a subaltern in charge of a company?  Were the existing platoon commanders really that bad?

EDIT: One way to make that happen would be to give him a platoon, and have the company CO and XO killed in short order.  Then he'd only have to exert force of personality over the other surviving platoon commander.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2018, 19:43:39 by Daryk »

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 04 November 2018, 20:48:37 »
 I did not think that out all the way I guess. I sort of put it in my head that all the officers got killed. Never put it on paper. He was actually (in my original blue print) going to suffer his injury after a few Mech fights, but I wanted to go a different route this time, so as a ex-cav scout, tanks it is.

I might go back and revise that. Right now I am trying to figure out how to easily merge the 2 story lines in the near future. I slowed down one story line and sped up the other some.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 04 November 2018, 22:39:58 »
 7 December 3048
      Pattonsburg

Harry was met on the tarmac of Mitchell Interstellar's spaceport by his cousin Donald Mitchell, the two shook hands and since it was too noisy to talk entered the ground car.

Donald was the first to speak "Harry it is good to see you again. To what do we owe this visit?"

"Donald, thank you for meeting with me, I cannot stay for long but I have a business proposition for you. Before you get all riled up, I am not asking for money. This is a true business partnership."

"Harry, we been over this, I will not be involved in this farce of a treasure hunt. You know I feel it is a waste...…."

Harry held up a hand and cut Donald off "It is real Donald, we just recovered a fully operational Bastion Station and sold it to the AFFC. I am not here to directly involve you in the search. The planet I mentioned years ago is Mackolla. I have survey teams that should be arriving any day now. I need a base of operations that is secure and closer to my search area. There is a old space port on planet, I am hiring a construction company to recertify and repair it. What I need is transportation for them to Mackolla. I am also hiring a small Merc unit to provide on site security, they also need transport to Mackolla."

Donald could not believe what he just heard "What do you mean it is real? And you found a what?"

Harry hated repeating himself "We found a derelict Rim Worlds jumpship and it was carrying a Bastion Defense Space Station. We salvaged that and sold it to the AFFC. I also have the ships logs, but could not recover the ships navigation logs. I am here to arrange transport to Mackolla from you for stuff I need delivered. I would prefer to keep this in the family so to speak instead of hiring outside transport. I am willing to pay, but hope I get a family discount of some sort."

Donald still could not believe what he was being told "Where the hell is Mackolla? I have never heard of it."

"Mackolla is roughly 9 jumps from Crofton, I calculate it at 13 jumps from here. I can provide exact coordinates to it." Harry thought he detected a hint of interest from Donald.

"First what is with the Explorer you arrived on, it is not a cargo hauler. No dropship collar at all. And how did you get her? Lease it."

"It is a jumpship in good shape. I need to be able to expand my search area. She is an extra set of eyes. I bought her, not out right, but I can make the payments on her." Harry was getting irritated but tried to keep it under control, he needed Donald.

"Let's get to my office so I can see what we need to see." Donald stated.

30 minutes later they were in Donalds office where a star map of the Federated Suns side of the Commonwealth dominated one huge wall. Glowing dots represented every Jumpship owned by Mitchell Interstellar. Harry walked over and studied the map.

"I see you have grown some since my last visit." Harry could only imagine what he could do with a fleet this size.

"Yes, we have. We are up to 43 Jumpships now. Now show me where Mackolla is at."

Harru studied the star map, located the planet he wanted and touched the map "Right about here, this is Mackolla. See this ship at Okenfenokee? She is 2 jumps from Mackolla."

Donald walked over and studied the map beside Harry "Well, not much further than we already go. I think we can work something out for the transportation of what you need."

Harry felt a small load lifted from his shoulders, suddenly his eyes focused on a couple of glowing dots not on the map "What are these 2 ships over here?"

Donald followed Harry's finger "2 Scout Jumpships, I am trying to sell them, they are not suited to cargo hauling."

Harry had a sudden idea "Donald, I cannot afford to buy them much as I would like to. Would you consider leasing them to me?"

"Harry, that can get really expensive really fast." Donald tried to talk his cousin out of it, but half heartedly. "But maybe we can work something out."

"Really? And what would be your asking price?" Harry had not expected this response.

"I will lease the Jumpships to you for 1 million C-Bills per month, for both of them, but I want a share of any salvage if you actually find this ghost." Donald could not believe he was actually getting involved in this quest that had basically financially ruined part of hsi family.

"5% of the find but limited to the purchase price of the 2 jumpships. Not a penny more Donald." Harry was not going to lose out this late in the game.

"1 million a month, 5% and you take care of any and all repairs to the ships. If they are lost I expect to be reimbursed for them."

Harry could not believe this was happening "Deal Donald, we have a deal. Welcome to the hunt. I will even deposit 2 years of rent now."

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #33 on: 05 November 2018, 02:39:36 »
Family is family but family's gotta eat.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 05 November 2018, 17:11:35 »
19 April 3049
    Mackolla

Harry Mitchell exited the ST-46 small craft upon landing on a small strip of the planets Space Port marked off for small craft. George Schroon met him at the bottom of the stairs.

As the 2 friends shook hands, George said "Welcome back Harry, how was the trip to see your cousin?"

"George, it is good to be back and ready to get back to the hunt, the meeting went better than I could imagine, he let me lease 2 Scout Jumpships for 1 mil a month and 5% of any find up to the cost of the Jumpships. One is on the way to Crofton to pick up the construction company I hired, the other is picking up a small Merc unit recommended by my cousin, instead of the one I was going to hire. He trusts this outfit more and has used them in the past. 1 Mech Lance and 2 Infantry Companies, specialize in corporate security operations." Harry felt as though he was walking on air, he had not felt this alive in years.

"That's great news Harry, we have some great news for you to. We have some of the buildings here set up as billets and offices. We hired a bunch of local's to help out with the cleaning up and basic building/repairs. They are some hard workers, plus we have made arrangements for fresh food to be brought in, hired a few cooks. I certified 1 of the underground fuel tanks as good so we have 13,000 tons of fuel stored here on site. I would like to go catch that Invader again and rip out it's reactor plant. I think I can repair it and we could use it for the base and provide power for the city. We traded about 2000 tons of fuel to the locals for the fresh food and labor, and fixed up a bunch of their old vehicles for them. Best news I will leave to the survey team you hired, they are waiting inside our Company Office complex for you." Harry could tell George was proud of all the work he had accomplished in Harry's absence.

"Well lead the way George, let's see what they have to say." With that, George led the way across the tarmac, Harry made a note to buy some vehicles for local transport next time they hit civilization.

It took 25 minutes to walk the distance to the new Company HQ, Harry was impressed by all the hard work that had been done and said so. George led the way to what Harry assumed was his office and noticed one wall had a smaller screen on it than his cousins but he could see his Star Lord marked on it, but also listed was his dropships, and best of all, there were the systems all marked that the company had spent years searching, what was found or not found in descriptions just a finger touch away.

"I am impressed George, where did you get this display setup?"

"We had it stored away, the date said it was manufactured in 2835 so I assume one of your relatives bought it. We salvage remember, we throw almost nothing away. It took some playing with to figure it out but we got everything to work the way we wanted it to." George was really pleased with himself.

"That is great George, now where is this survey team at." Within 15 minutes the leader of the survey team entered the room carrying a ton of maps, photos and paperwork.

"Mr Mitchell, glad to see you again, it was only the one time we met, when we hired on with you. This planet is a dream come true. Almost totally unexplored." The guy's name was Clayton Noseby and he spoke at a speed that was almost hard to follow.

"Good to see you again to Clayton, and call me Harry, so what have we got here?"

"What we have so far, it could take years to fully survey this planet, is this place is chock full of everything. We had George run us down to one of the polar regions, this place is almost like Earth, in one of your Dropships and we spent a couple days down there. We have a deposit of Germanium, not sure how big, but it is down there alright. Then we found deposits of almost every metal or mineral you could ask for in the mountains east of here, we spent 2 weeks up there, we head to the western mountain range next week. The amount of timber is staggering. Basically, this place has everything and could be totally self sufficient." While he was talking a mile a minute he was spreading maps out, pointing, flipping to a different map, pointing, then pointing to survey reports, then back to the map, it was almost too much for Harry to take in.

All the while Clayton spoke and went thru his pointing and flipping Harry could not help but smile and look over at George who would smile and roll his eyes. "That is great news Clayton, you keep up the great work and my door is always open if you need me." When I am actually on planet and here that is, Harry thought with a hidden smile.

"I have copies of everything Harry, so you can keep all this for your review. If there is nothing else, it is getting late and I have something to do." Clayton stated.

"Fine, you can go now, just keep up the good work." With that said, Clayton almost lunged out the door, Harry just looked at George with a questioning look.

"He is smitten with a local girl in town. She works at a local café in town, he will spend 2-3 hours down there. Far as we know, he has not had the courage to ask her out." George said with almost a laugh.

Harry could not help but smile "So, what do we do with all this George?" Harry swept his hand across all the maps and stuff.

"Your the big picture guy Harry, I just put the plans together and try to make it happen once you point me in a direction. I will say this, if the planet belonged to us, we could retire rich as hell, from what I have heard from Clayton." George said all this with a sparkle in his eye.

Harry thought for a minute before responding "Well, I will have to think about things, the planet belongs to the people here, not us. But we have a prize to find, so let's start figuring out where to start our hunt."

« Last Edit: 05 November 2018, 17:13:06 by 2ndAcr »

Mackon

• Private
« Reply #35 on: 05 November 2018, 18:27:11 »
How does this work in the FedSuns? Are they even in the FedSuns politically? Or are they an independent Periphery State now? If they are part of the FedSuns do the Davions appoint nobility to swear allegiance?

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 05 November 2018, 19:48:00 »
I like this, sorry late in

And they appear to be in the Fed Sun I think just a lost planet (ie no ties) yet to the FS
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 05 November 2018, 20:30:42 »
 If you have MekHQ, Mackolla is roughly 3 jumps from Rentz. Made Grayson Carlisle do it

It was FS back in 2822 then fell off the maps. Basically it was FS way back, now it is basically Periphery.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 05 November 2018, 21:56:41 »
 20 April 3049
      Mackolla

Harry, George, Gale and Mitchell's Salvage lead Navigator Mikael Kuschneva were in Harry's office studying the most up to date star map. They had plotted on the display where System NC38754 was on the wall map. Using astronomical information gathered while they had been in NC38754, it was determined that there were 33 stars within a 60LY distance.

Gale could not help but whistle "33 stars, lot of space to cover. But with 4 jumpships, it is only 8 per ship."

"We are going to use 3 Jumpships in the search Gale, not 4. Your Star Lord is going to stay at NC38754 for this, you will be the anchor to our spokes. Plus George wants the reactor off that Invader we found. He thinks it might take 2 weeks to rip it out. We will all go to NC38754, after that, each will be assigned a system, we jump out, search one jump point, then return to NC38754. If anyone detects something, they return to NC38754, and we decide where to go next or what to do." Harry stated firmly.

Harry continued "Notice there are only 8 systems within 30LY of NC38754. So we will have to shift our anchor at some point to continue the search. From here, NC38754 is 3 jumps away. To be exact it is 77.2LY from where we sit now. We are going to be a long ways from our new home. According to the log, the RW fleet scattered in all directions. We have no clue how many ships or who survived.

Now most of you know the story behind how this entire quest got started. My great grandfather was reading his grandfathers logs and diaries from the SLDF days, back then, our Star Lord was part of a SLDF Support group. In the early days of the Amaris Coup, the SLDF was redeploying, one of the logs reported a Congress frigate and Lolo III destroyer had returned from a patrol in the periphery all shot up. They had engaged and destroyed a small RW naval force out there and brought back all the surviving people they could cram inside the holds. This Support Group took on survivors from the ships and helped with some repairs of those 2 ships. On the very last page of a diary it is noted "request sent to higher to proceed to" the next diary is gone. We assume that missing diary had the exact astronomical coordinates for this battle site. Since this little Support Group was the closest to the battle site, and we assume it was never dispatched to it, we can only assume the ships were never recovered. For over 100 years my family has been searching for this lost "fleet" for a better term."

« Last Edit: 06 November 2018, 07:36:22 by 2ndAcr »

Mackon

• Private
« Reply #39 on: 06 November 2018, 00:40:32 »
Probably be worthwhile to Yoink! the jump core, even completely wrecked the Germanium is worth its weight in, well, Germanium.  :D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 06 November 2018, 04:37:16 »
Uh, that's "astronomical", not "astrological" (twice)… [/Physics major]

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 06 November 2018, 19:36:12 »
 3 February 3051
      Barcelona

After the casualties on Here, now Lieutenant Mitchell, was dropped back to a Platoon command after the Lancers combined 2 heavy tank Battalions into a single Battalion. Mitchell now had a company commander. His Platoon now had 3 Patton's and 1 Rommel in it. His first battle was a defensive operation, this time his company was supporting a medium Mech company in open country. They were following about 500 meters behind the Mechs as they advanced. Lieutenant Mitchell had been studying armor manuals every chance he got and quizzed SGM O'Malley non stop with questions. SGM O'Malley thought it was hilarious that Lieutenant Mitchell came from a planet named Pattonsburg and was now a tanker. A planet with one of histories greatest tank commanders name in it.

SGM O'Malley was in the gunners seat semi lost in thought. His protegee, Lieutenant Mitchell, was coming along very well. He was earning the men's respect due to his helping maintain the equipment, he broke track with them, cleaned the main gun, helped with anything that needed to be done. O'Malley knew it was partly Mitchell's way of learning the trade, as much as it was earning their respect. During the days spent in space, O'Malley ran the young officer thru map drills, different scenarios and O'Malley had to admit the kid had the gift for strategy and tactics. Even the new company commander was impressed with his young platoon leader. The sound of a explosion shook him out of his thoughts and he peered thru his sight.

Lieutenant Mitchell's voice filled his earphones on the intercom "Mechs in contact direct front, no enemy in sight yet, we are going to head for that light wooded area to our front and take up position to support the Mechs if they fall back."

All O'Malley could see was Lancer Mechs taking fire and every now and then he saw a Lance Mech actually fire back at something he could not yet see. He glanced at the tanks tactical display and saw that the tree line would put them 2-300 meters behind the Mechs. It was the best position to be had he could see. This was flat and pretty open ground. They pulled into the woods and began making their way forward to a firing position. O'Malley could hear the explosions getting louder. Finally they reach a position just inside the tree line and O'Malley focused on scanning for a target.

O'Malley could see that several Lancer Mechs were badly damaged and slowly pulling back and 1 was laying motionless on the flat plains. Suddenly a Falcon Thor emerged from the smoke and dust, then a Loki appeared. If left alone they would begin flanking the Lancer Mechs. As he watched them turn to engage the Lancer Mechs from their flank, his intercom crackled again "Driver advance full speed, gunner engage Loki as soon as we reach our medium range or he turns to engage us."

Their tank platoon lunged from the light woods and rapidly closed on the 2 Flacon Mechs, if luck held out, they would actually take the Falcons from the rear. As they reached the 250 meter mark, O'Malley sighted in on the Loki's exposed rear armor. Just as he squeezed the trigger, the Loki half turned and O'Malley's shell slammed into the left arm instead of the rear armor. He watched as the Loki fired on the Patton to their left and watched it explode. As his loaded light came back on, he sighted again and fired, this time the shell slammed into the left torso just as another shell hit almost the same place, the Loki suddenly fell.

As the tanks rapidly closed on the Thor, it suddenly leaped into the air and sailed over the advancing tanks, O'Malley was about to slew the turret when the commanders override began turning the turret onto the landing Thor. "Driver hard right now, gunner target Thor close"

"Cannot identify target"
 "Just fire it is literally right there"
 O'Malley pulled the trigger and sent a shell right into the Thor's right leg. Suddenly, Lieutenant Mitchell was droppign down and slamming the hatch shut with a "Holy S**T!!!!!!!!". A sudden very hard impact seemed to stop the tank in it's tracks, everyone was thrown forward. O'Malley keyed up his intercom, "What the heck was that".

Lieutenant Mitchell cracked a smile, "The damn Rommel shot the Thor right as we did, the right leg just disappeared and the Thor came falling right at us." He then started to pop the hatch and found he was looking right at the fallen Mechs cockpit. "Driver back up slow" and as the tank started backing up, Lieutenant Mitchell used the commanders over ride to slew the turret until the tanks AC10 was pointed right at the fallen Thor's cockpit. He could see the Falcon Mech warrior inside injured but struggling to get his mech to comply with his commands. When it was clear his mech would not do as he wanted, Mitchell watched as the Falcon pilot emerged from his cockpit. Mitchell ordered him to disarm and the Falcon did so, Mitchell then waved him onto the tank. Drawing his pistol he watched the Falcon comply. Keying his intercom "SGM, you got company coming in, have the loader cover him."

"I got what coming?" O'Malley turned in his seat and saw a wounded figure clad in a cooling suit clambering into the tank. It was not a Lancer uniform, but Falcon, "Holy Crap, Benny, cover this guy and start treating his wounds. Lieutenant, you lost your dang mind up there? We don't take prisoners, the infantry do that."

"There were no infantry around SGM. Driver, get us out of here, looks like the Mechs are starting to pull back." Lieutenant Mitchell looked at the burning Patton to his left, there were no survivors, he could see his other 2 tanks also slowly pulling back with 6 other surviving gtanks of the company.
« Last Edit: 06 November 2018, 19:38:44 by 2ndAcr »

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 06 November 2018, 20:10:04 »
 3 February 3051
       Barcelona

As the Lancer Mechs and tanks pulled back, Lieutenant Mitchell watched as 2 Lancer Mechs grabbed the downed Thor and began dragging it with them. Lancer artillery started laying smoke with HE intermixed all across their front. 2 more Lancer Mechs grabbed the Loki and also started dragging it. Lieutenant Mitchell gave the order for the platoon to slow and let the Lancer mechs with their booty pass. He quickly glanced down into the turret and asked "How is our prisoner?"

O'Malley answered quickly "He is out like a light, probably has a nasty concussion, he has a pretty good gash on his head. We got him bandaged up and zip tied up. He is not going anywhere."

Lieutenant Mitchell returned to scanning their immediate front watching for any targets to appear, as the captured Falcon mechs and their "escorts" passed, he ordered the platoon to speed up and follow the Lancer Mechs back to the LZ.

45 minutes later, they arrived at the LZ. He could see the 2 fallen Falcon Mechs at the bottom of the ramp of his old Mech Battalion. There was his old CO, and he saw a Lancer mech half turn and point to his tank platoon. He watched as his CO looked right at him and threw a salute his way. Mitchell returned it as sharply as he could. It could have been better, but he was tired and he had just suffered his first combat losses. As his tank pulled close to their assigned dropship, Mitchell waved some infantrymen over "One of you go get a medic, we got a wounded prisoner so get up here and give us a hand getting him out."

The infantrymen looked at each other wierdly, a SGT asked "You got a what sir?"

Mitchell was really in no mood for 20 questions "What part of PRISONER did you not understand SGT? I said get a medic and get up here and help us get him out. NOW!!!"

"YES SIR, you heard the officer, get up there......Smythe go fetch the doc......run don't walk!!!"

With that the infantry mounted the tank and working together they got the captured Falcon out of the tank and down to the ground just as the medic arrived on the scene. The medic hesitated "This is a Falcon, why waste our time?"
 Seveal of the infantry nodded their heads and Mitchell started to lose his temper.

"This is a prisoner of war, you will treat him with the same care you would one of us soldier."

When that got a few more blank stares, Mitchell lost it.

"YOU WILL TREAT THIS PRISONER OR SO HELP ME........!!!!" As he yelled he was starting to draw his pistol when the huge paw of SGM O'Malley grasped his wrist and halted him.

"Sir, you go make your report to the CO, I will handle this. The prisoner will be just fine and I will see that he makes it into OUR dropships medical bay and we will handle security for him."

"Your right SGM, you handle this situation and thank you." As Lieutenant Mitchell turned to head up the ramp of their dropship he saw his tank commanders were watching him along with the rest of the companies tank commanders. As he walked past them towards the ramp, each tank commander tossed him a salute.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 06 November 2018, 23:56:29 »
 7 June 3049
      NC38754

MST Star Lord hovered at the Nadir Jump Point recharging, both tugs were over at the old Invader assisting with the removal of the Invaders reactor plant. All the jumpships captains were aboard the Star Lord meeting with Harry and getting their assignments:

Dark Angel (Scout) would take NC39475 22.5LY
 Ghost Rider (Scout) would take NC38664 28.7LY
 Money Wagon (Explorer) would take NC39427 29.5LY

Harry looked at the assembled captains, "You all know the risks, you jump in, recharge, scan the system and then jump back here and report. We don't move to the next set of systems until everyone is back and accounted for. You have 9 days total before we come looking for you. That will give everyone some slack for slow recharging times and such. Don't take any risks. This is risky enough as it is. Any questions?"

All the gathered captains just looked at each other and then Harry. Harry nodded to them all "Well then let's get this show on the road, good luck to you all." Harry shook each captains hand as they filed towards the small craft bay for the return to their ships.

6 Hours later, the Jumpships began leaving NC38754.

NC39475 Log Entry

Dark Angel arrived at Zenith Jump Point, scans show nothing in system to be found.

NC38664 Log Entry

Ghost Rider arrived at Nadir Jump Point, nothing found in system

NC39427 Log Entry

Money Wagon arrived at Zenith Jump Point, scans reveal nothing

15 June 3049
        NC38754

All 3 Jumpships returned safely to their "base camp" and submitted their reports. Mikael noted them in his log and assigned the next set of systems. George and his teams had managed to remove the Invaders reactor and stow it aboard one of the tugs, he next began work on the field initiator while other teams stripped the Invader of anything of value. George would like to grind the core down but they did not have the equipment for that. On 22 June the Jumpships once again leaped out.

NC39441 Log Entry

Dark Horse arrived at Nadir Jump Point, sensors register a object near the Zenith Jump Point. Unable to determine what object is, negative power readings.

NC38951 Log Entry

Ghost Rider arrives at Nadir Jump Point, scans show nothing

NC41035 Log Entry

Money Wagon arrives at Zenith Jump Point, scans show nothing in system.

28 June 3049
      NC38754

Once again everyone returned safely, but this time they had a target to investigate. Harry ordered George to wrap up his salvage operation and get everyone back to the Star Lord. The Aqueduct made the rounds to all the Jumpships and refueled everyone.

Harry called a quick meeting "Okay we have a contact, we are all going to jump into NC39441 at the Nadir Jump Point 40KM between each ship. Then we see what we have."

On July 6, 3049 the fleet made the jump to NC39441.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 07 November 2018, 17:12:00 »
 6 July 3049
      NC39441

The Mitchell Salvage fleet arrived emerged from hyperspace at the Nadir Jump Point, after a minute the sensors were online and sensor returns had picked up the object drifting almost 125,000 km from the Nadir point. Harry dispatched a small craft to have a look. 2 hours later the small craft had the object in sight and reported back, "Money Wagon, we have a Star Lord Jumpship with 4 Dropships attached. Looks like 3 Mammoth dropships and a Jumbo dropship. We detect no power readings coming from the ships at all."

Harry acknowledged the report and dispatched a tug to go grab the Star Lord and bring her back to the Nadir Jump Point. George would accompany the tug over and take a team by EVA onto the derelict to begin an assessment. Harry could feel the excitement building inside himself. He tried to remain calm and not get carried away. He would just have to wait on the findings.

It was an agonizing 6 hours before George reported back in to Harry. "Harry, they blew a Helium seal on this Star Lord, looks like they tried to make repairs and failed several times. But we got spares on board ours. I actually think we can fully salvage this baby and bring her back to life. I will know more once we get some fuel in her and try to restart the reactor. The dropships are drained dry of fuel also. But they are packed full of cargo. I cannot make out what the Mammoths have aboard them, but each one seems to have the same kind of load. The Jumbo, well that one is packed with vehicles. And I mean packed. According to the tug, we should arrive back in about an hour."

Harry acknowledged the report from George and again that excitement was building.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 07 November 2018, 18:44:27 »
Well a Star Lord fully operational is worth well over a billion c-bills plus dropships and cargo.
Someone needs a champagne bath to cool down. :D :thumbsup:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 07 November 2018, 18:49:45 »
Good thing he capped his agreement with his cousin!

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 07 November 2018, 19:05:15 »
 Well, he knows he's after lost fleet that included warships. Only prudent to cap it, if he trips over a warship, that is some major cash. His branch of the family has spent over a hundred years searching, why let someone, even family, slide in at the last moment and reap full benefits.

I really don't like how the rules cap radar with a 100,000 km range unless equipped with a NavCom system. Radar in space basically has infinite range until it hits something and bounces back.

I cannot find anything in the rules about re-starting reactors that ran out of fuel etc. Not a nuke scientist so forgive if I simplify the crap out of it.

Star Lord roughly a billion, 3 Mammoth 1.2 billion or so, Jumbo is 200 mil. I have not even tried to do the math on what the prize shares will be. A bunch, rough math not counting cargo prize payout is roughly 1.3 billion
« Last Edit: 07 November 2018, 19:21:50 by 2ndAcr »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #48 on: 07 November 2018, 19:32:09 »
The limits on radars are based on the sensitivity of the receiver, since the energy that bounces back will be many orders of magnitude less than what you put out (the inverse square law is a pain completely outside of the miniscule amount of energy that actually reflects off a target).  NCSS systems incorporate very sensitive receivers, hence their increased range.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 07 November 2018, 20:14:21 »
 7 July 3049
       NC39441

Harry had the tug bring the derelict Star Lord within 30km of the assembled fleet, he wanted it so close he could touch it but decided to play it safe in case something went horribly wrong. George had run a temporary power supply cable over to the derelict to provide temporary power to the onboard systems. The Aqueduct Dropship was sent over to fill the derelicts fuel tanks along with the attached dropships. Salvage crews on board the MST Star Lord located their stored helium seals and had them ready to send over when called for.

George could not take it any longer, "Harry, George here we need to talk before we go any further. I am heading back."

Harry was startled by the call, but he trusted George "Roger that George, I will be waiting."

45 minutes later, George and Harry were in Harry's office aboard the Star Lord. Harry was shocked by the pale ashen look on George's face. "Geez George are you okay? Do I need to call the doctor?"

"Harry, it is horrible over there. There has to be over 300 bodies on those ships. We need to do something about them. Something proper and decent. Before we really put atmosphere to those ships." George had a tremble in his voice as he spoke.

"Is it that bad George? We have encountered remains before over the years." Harry had not thought about this event occurring.

"Yes, it is that horrible over there. You need to see it Harry, and then make the right decision. Right now, I need some sleep and food so I can pull myself together before heading back over. It is worse than I have ever seen. Go take a look Harry." With that said, George stood and walked out of Harry's office.

"I will George, I will." Harry said to his friends departing back.

4 hours later, a very shaken Harry Mitchell was back in his office aboard the MST Star Lord. George was right, it was the worst. It was appeared that at some point a fight broke out on the derelict and dropships, why was currently lost to history, but it must have been hell. Before departing the tug, Harry had asked for volunteers to begin transferring the remains to the attached Jumbo crew quarters area. Harry knew it would take hours if not days to complete the task. 30 of the 140 on the tug volunteered. Harry had called the other tug and another 25 had volunteered for the task.

Harry really did not know what to do about this. He made a snap decision and ordered the Jumbo to be sealed off until they made the return to Mackolla. By then Harry hopefully would have a plan on what to do.

12 July 3049
        NC39441

It had taken even longer than Harry had thought. After the first shift had returned, all with a haunted look on their face, others began volunteering to share the horror of the task at hand. It was the worst task imaginable and Harry had spent the last few days pondering things. But he had come to a decision on the matter and he would be much better prepared in the future for this kind of event.

George had gone back over to the derelict and gone over the reactor as best he could. He powered up the reactors computer control system and ran a full diagnosis. After a long 20 minutes the computer determined that the reactor was sound. Saying a quick prayer, George began the restart sequence. It took 90 minutes but the reactors computer said everything was stable and operational. George disconnected the temporary power supply and switched the ship to internal power. He gave the order for a salvage team to begin sealing up the breach they had made to gain entry into the ship while he monitored the reactor. Once that was done, he began the task of putting atmosphere and pressurizing the derelict. 3 hours later, the computer said pressure was stable and breathable. As George reach up to unclamp his EVA suit, he said a quick prayer to himself. Slowly he unclamped and then removed his helmet, then a tentative breath. There was a tinge of staleness but it was tolerable.

Keying the radio "Harry, George here, we have reactor restart and the ship is now holding atmosphere and it is breathable. I am heading down to the hanger and test the doors, if they operate properly, we can begin bringing over a prize crew and really get a feel for what we have here."

Harry felt as thought he had held his breath the last few hours as he responded "Roger that George, I was getting worried, you say the word and I will start sending the people over. George, I only want you and me around when we attempt to recover the logs and navigation logs. Just us."

"Okay Harry, you know something I don't?" Harry had never requested that before, always trusted his crews.

"Nothing firm George, but it is just a feeling I have." Harry signed off.
« Last Edit: 07 November 2018, 20:18:04 by 2ndAcr »

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 07 November 2018, 21:00:24 »
   27 February 3051
         Newton Square

The 2nd Crucis Lancers had arrived back in FedCom space for supplies. Lieutenant Mitchell had spent many hours talking with the captured Falcon warrior during the long journey. The Falcon warrior had asked Scott if he was claimed as isorla, Scott had no clue how to answer that as he did not know what it was. Scott learned the Falcon warrior's name was Honos. Upon landing, Honos was transferred to a military prison on Newton Square. Watching Honos be led away by MP's left him feeling sort of sad, he had looked forward to his talks with Honos.

That was 2 days ago, Scott was finishing up some paperwork on awards under SGM O'Malley's guidance when a call from his Comapny Commander came in. "Lieutenant Mitchell, the Battalion CO just called and we are to head over to his office asap."

"Yes sir, any idea what we are wanted for?" There was a bit of trepidation in Scott's voice as he asked.

"No clue Lieutenant, but the man said asap, so get over to my office so we can head on over."

"On my way sir." Scott hung up the phone and looked at SGM O'Malley "Have to go see the Battalion Commander, guess I have to pay the price of my stupidity for basically threatening a bunch of grunts with witness' around."

"I don't think so sir, I got a pretty good back channel NCO grapevine and I would have heard something about this long ago if any charges were submitted.Nothing gets done without an NCO being involved somewhere in the chain." SGM said it with the utmost confidence but he still felt a bit of dread for his young officer.

"Well, guess I will find out real soon." Scott said as he stood, made sure his uniform was squared away and made for the doorway. "Hold the fort SGM."

Mackon

• Private
« Reply #51 on: 08 November 2018, 03:46:24 »
The Federated Commonwealth should put out a Clanners for Dummies booklet or something so its people have some idea what they are on about with their crazy words and customs.

Mitchell's Salvage might want to start looking into more Mechs, this find is going attract some attention  :)

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 08 November 2018, 05:38:39 »
 13 July 3049
        NC39441

Reactors had been restarted on the 3 Mammoth Dropships but Harry had ordered the Jumbo to remain sealed until their return to Mackolla. Not even an inventory of it's cargo would be done until then. After speaking to George, Harry relented and Mikael would be allowed to join them on the Star Lords bridge to recover the ships log and navigational logs. Harry ordered the bridge cleared and only the 3 remained behind.

Mikael finally asked "Harry, what is with all the secrecy all of a sudden?"

"Look guys, this is a huge find, and there is a chance that our finds could get even larger. For the first time we have outsiders among us. Now granted those Scout crews have done nothing out of the ordinary, but ever since we brought them on, I have noticed one of the Scout captains is always near by studying our star charts when we have them out. Granted, all our captains study the star charts, but like I said, outsiders. Only Gale is not here with us, but I have spoken to her about it also. I need her to remain on her ship and alert. You 4 have been with me since I took over the company 30 some years ago. Mikael, I am now going to tell you what George and me already know, aboard those 3 Mammoth Dropships is all the material for a Pressurized Yard. Also on board one is all the makings for 2 Medium Factory stations. And these are Star League era stuff. I heard back then they could crank a Jumpship out in mere months instead of the year plus it takes now.

Now we don't yet know what those factories are set to actually produce but this find is bigger than we thought. Maybe I am just getting nervous in my old age, but I going to go with my gut instincts and tighten up security some. So, now you know, but let's get back to what we came here to do." Harry's excitement was tempered by a voice in the back of his head warning of possible impending danger.

Mikael let out a small whistle "Holy crap Harry, almost every nation and most companies would kill for what we have found here. Who all knows? I mean holy crap." As he spoke, he moved to the navigator's station and began checking the logs. "Harry, the crap just got deeper. These navigation logs are intact. I mean really intact, as in all the way back to when she made her first jump after being built intact. 225 jumps are recorded here. Her star charts date back to the Star League, see here, that is Mackolla, clearly marked as inhabited. Harry just ths map alone is worth a fortune."

Harry and George just looked at each other, Harry finally spoke "Your telling me that we know exactly where this ship came from, as in our search area just got a lot smaller?

Mikael looked up "Harry, if the ships logs are intact and updated, there is no search anymore."

Harry could not believe what he was hearing, all these years, the search was over. It was just a matter of going there. Like going to a new store, he had an address and up to date map. Well, up to date from when this ship died.
"Let's get everything downloaded. Mikael once we have recovered everything, and verified they match, I want you to wipe this ships logs clean. Get a copy of this ships star map and then wipe it, replace it with our star map. And I mean scrub it clean."

Mikael nodded "You got it Harry, when I am done no one will be able to recover anything past today."

"George go grab the ships log, I also want the same thing done with the Mammoths. We will save the Jumbo until our return to Mackolla. Boys we have stepped into a shark infested ocean and are wearing bloody steaks around our necks. No one comes aboard these ships except our most trusted long term people." Harry could not shake the chill that kept running up his spine. "Let's get it done and back home."

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 08 November 2018, 06:00:50 »
 14 July 3049
        NC39441

Harry was in his office aboard the MST Star Lord, on his computer was the derelict (well not anymore) ships log. This ship had been stranded for 8 months in this system before the, for want of a better word "massacre" occurred. But on the screen was the log entry for before they made their last jump. It was very detailed and actually named ships involved, it had a partial accounting of the battle that occurred up to the ships jump out. He could see a complete listing of all the ships there that day:
 RW Riga
 2X RW Pintos
 4x RW Invader
 2x RW Leviathon
 2x RW Star Lord
 3x RW Merchant
 2x SLDF Congress
 4x Lola III

Harry had to look up what a Leviathon was and was surprised it was an early Monolith Jumpship. He knew 1 Congress and 1 Lola III returned. They had found 1 Invader and 1 Star Lord. But that left one heck of a big fleet out there.

Harry knew now what he needed to do. He had the original copy of the ships log, navigational log and star map locked in his safe. George was back on the derelict supervising the repairs being made to the helium seals. Once that was complete, Harry had decided to return to Mackolla. He needed to go try and make friends with the biggest shark in this part of the Inner Sphere. He just hoped he did not get eaten in the process.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 08 November 2018, 15:57:48 »
  15 July 3049
       NC39441

Harry called all of his long team leaders onto the MST Star Lord for a mission briefing. Attending were:

Harry Mitchell, CEO of Mitchell Salvage
 George Schroon, MST Chief Tech
 Mikael Kushneva, MST Lead Navigator
 Gale Crumney, Captain MST Tug One (when deployed) and Captain MST Star Lord
 Chris Overly, Captain MST Tug Two
 Brian Suanders, Captain MST Aqueduct
 Jennifer Yama, Captain MST Mule
 Albert Blaine, Leader Salvage Team One
 Paul Subachi, Leader Salvage Team Two
 Teresa Alstein, Leader Salvage Team Three

Absent were the newly brought on Scout Captains or any of their crew. All present had been with Harry for over 10 years or more and had stuck with him even when the times were hard and no paychecks were to be seen. He trusted each and every one of them completely, but this find was too valuable to risk. Harry had talked to each one over the previous day briefing them in on what they have found, but not about the ships log, navigation log or star map.

"Okay folks, you have all been briefed on what we have discovered. That is why I have been operating under what we would consider extreme secrecy. First, I want to detach the Mammoths and bring them over here to the MST Star Lord, shift MST Aqueduct to one of the Scouts, MST Mule goes to the other one. We will leave the Jumbo where she is. After talking to George we are going to take no chances with the other Star Lord, she has not made a jump in almost 300 years so we will be doing a "tender" jump. Same way they move jump cores between systems. I won't risk lives needlessly. George and Mikael will handle those details. We jump her back to NC38754, re-board her and charge the jump drive and "tender" jump her to Mackolla. Once there, we will discuss what to do overall and then I plan to depart for a while.

George, when we get back to Mackolla, I want you to procure and have built as many coffins as we need. Bring them up to the Jumbo and let's bury all these poor souls properly. Find a good place and we will build a cemetery in their honor. Albert has already volunteered his people for the task of placing in the coffins, Paul's people will handle them to the surface and Teresa will oversee burial. Have a local priest come handle the service. Gale, I want the Mammoths left attached here until I get back. Tug One stays attached also. Once you are recharged I want you to plot a emergency jump out of system and be ready to leap out at a seconds notice. Everyone understand the plan?" Harry looked at the assembled leadership of Mitchell Salvage.

Everyone just nodded their heads yes. "George, Mikael what do we need to do?"

"I need another 2 days at least to finish the repairs and run some tests, after that, we program the navigation computer with our destination and we trigger the jump from here when we are ready." George stated

"Okay, let's get it done then people."

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 08 November 2018, 16:23:30 »
 27 February 3051
      Newton Square

In the company of his Company commander, Lieutenant Mitchell entered the Battalion commanders office mentally bracing himself for the worst. Before they could even properly report to him, the BN CO waved them to the 2 chairs in his office.

"Sit down folks, Lieutenant Mitchell is there anything I should know about you?" The BN CO asked.

"Well sir, I got a little heated back on Barcelona and almost...…." Scott started to say but was interrupted by his BN CO.

"I know all about that incident Lieutenant Mitchell, what I want to know is why has a priority HPG message from New Avalon ordering me to detach you and anyone you feel is critical to your successful completion of a yet undetermined assignment and have you on the way to New Avalon as quick as possible?" The BN CO flately stated while he waved a message slip in the air.

Lieutenant Mitchell just stared first at his BN CO and then looked at his company commander who was staring back at his your Lieutenant questioningly "Sir, I have no idea at all what this is about. I attended Albion on New Avalon, but I have no other contacts on planet. Why am I being removed from the frontlines? Honestly, I have no idea what is going on." Scott stated when he finally found his voice.

"Well then Lieutenant, when you figure it out, drop me a letter, because this just beats all. So, what do you need to complete this mystery mission?"

"Since I have no clue what the mission is, I guess SGM O'Malley and my platoon." Scott was suddenly struck with an idea which he thought was going to be refused, but what the heck "And I need the Falcon prisoner Honos I captured on Barcelona he might come in handy."

"Well, the message says anyone......I will have the MP's bring him to the space port. Go tell SGM O'Malley to get everyone packed up, you get packed and get to the space port. There is a dropship already on the pad with warm engines awaiting you and a jumpship in system. Now get going. I have to notify the RCT commander that you are on your way. I don't know what you have done or are going to do, but whatever it is, good luck." The BN CO stood and offered offered his hand to the young Lieutenant. "You have done very well in the short time you were with us, I truely am losing a good young officer."

Lieutenant Mitchell shook the offered hand and then saluted both his commanding officers before leaving the office and heading back to his platoons barracks are to find SGM O'Malley.
« Last Edit: 08 November 2018, 19:22:09 by 2ndAcr »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #56 on: 08 November 2018, 19:12:58 »
The rest of the platoon is going to be wondering what they did wrong to not be pulled with their boss...

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 08 November 2018, 19:18:14 »
 Yes, they will...….making that change then

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #58 on: 08 November 2018, 19:36:14 »
 :thumbsup:

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 08 November 2018, 19:39:36 »
18 July 3049
        NC39441

It wound up taking a full 3 days to complete the repairs, run integrity checks until George was satisfied enough to give Harry the thumbs up. Harry sent the signal and the ex-RW Star Lord leaped from the system. All Harry could do was cross his fingers and say a small prayer as he gave the command to jump to NC38754.

As he shook the jump effects off, he opened his eyes just as the sensor tech said "All ships accounted for Harry, even the empty one. Range to her is 55km."

Harry thanked the stars once again "Gale tell Tug Two to release and go fetch our friend whenever they are ready."

Gale smiled "Roger that Harry."

28 July 3049
       Mackolla

First the ex-RW Star Lord arrived in system followed minutes later by the small fleet of Mitchell Salvage. Fifteen minutes after arriving, Tug Two headed for the Star Lord. George was aboard her and would examine the jumpship for any damage along with Salvage Team One. As the fleets jumpships began recharge operations, Harry called Mikael and Gale into his office.

"Folks, I will be leaving in 8 days, Mikael any way you could make an excuse to get aboard those Scouts?" Harry asked.

"Well, I could probably slip aboard after we begin sending folks down to the surface for some shore leave. We could arrange a big party of something. Why?" Mikael was curious.

"Do that, Gale all your people have been with us as long as you correct?" Harry asked her as he shifted his gaze.

"Yes, all my people have stayed with us since I have been with you, ten plus years. Why?" Now she was curious.

"Good, look we have the prize right here, I don't want to lose it. Gale, open the small arms locker and arm all your people. Arm all of Tug One's crew also, but not the salvage team. Have Aqueduct refuel everyone, send the Mule down to the surface. Mikael, get aboard those Scouts and I want you to remove all navigation entries back to their initial arrival here at Mackolla." Harry said it with firmness in his voice.

"We got it Harry, where exactly are you going and what are you planning?" Mikael finally asked.

"Let's just say it will probably be a year before I am back. I will let you all speculate some." Harry was deep in thought as he replied.

8 days later Harry exited the ST-46 shuttle that just landed on Money Wagon and gave the order to jump out system and began his long 5 month journey to his destination.

28 February 3051
       Newton Square

It had been a rush packing job for everyone and then a mad scramble for the space port. They were surprised that they had no sooner been sent to quarters that the dropship lifted off. Now SGM O'Malley sat in Lieutenant Mitchell's quarters.

"Sir, mind telling me what the heck is going on?" SGM O'Malley asked.

"SGM, I do not know squat about anything. I am just a junior officer with barely a year out of the academy. I am a no body. My dad runs a shipping company that is pretty good sized. The orders came thru AFFC command, not civilian. I am as in the dark as you are." Scott answered.

"Well, the platoon is starting a betting pool on who you really are. So far, odds say your royalty under a secret identity." SGM O'Malley said with a grin.

"And where did you put your money SGM?" Scott could but shake his head.

"I got 20 says old Hanse Davion himself finally found out you hit on his wife while at the Academy." With that SGM O'Malley cracked up laughing.

"Very funny SGM, I really wish I knew what was going on. But I don't. Changing the subject, you checked on Honos yet?" Scott said with a smile.

"Yes sir, I have. We have him quartered with the platoon. They are keeping an eye on him, I did not have to tell them he was YOUR guest and to treat him good." SGM O'Malley said "I am curious why we are bringing a Falcon with us though, if you don't mind enlightening me."

"It was a spur of the moment thing SGM, look you know I spent a lot of time talking to him on the journey back to Newton Square. He kept asking if he was Isorla, I finally asked Intel after landing what it meant and they said it was a Clan custom, when taken isorla, the defeated has a chance to earn his freedom. After what happened on Barcelona, I had a pretty good idea how folks would treat him. I captured him and feel he is my responsibility." Scott stated.

"Well I need to go check on the men sir." SGM O'Malley stood to leave.

"SGM, have someone escort Honos up here would you, guess it is time for us to talk."

"You got it sir, I will make sure he arrives soon. It will have to be a armed escort, because the Dropship crew will probably have a cow if the escort is unarmed, plus I will feel better he is still a Falcon warrior."

"Alright SGM, have him sent up."