Author Topic: Stargirl  (Read 4292 times)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Stargirl
« on: 30 June 2020, 19:15:15 »
Anyone else watching this new CW series? I am loving it so far.

Was watching tonight’s episode, and just realized who the janitor of the school (most likely) is:

Shining Knight

Some of the things in his closet and the way he talks make it very obvious.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Stargirl
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2020, 20:43:10 »
It was a rough start but it is getting better.

Still have a bit of a personal issue with Hourman's power but they did address it slightly in show.  I'll not go further into it because it can get rule 4 real fast.

Given TV show budgets I'll be surprised if they actually do bring in Green Lantern.  Doubly so with the upcoming HBO Green Lantern show.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2020, 21:08:15 »
Given TV show budgets I'll be surprised if they actually do bring in Green Lantern.  Doubly so with the upcoming HBO Green Lantern show.

I would really like to see a new Green Lantern based on the Alan Scott version for the team though.

But was there ever one in the comics other than those associated with the Green Lantern Corps?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2020, 21:43:46 »
But was there ever one in the comics other than those associated with the Green Lantern Corps?

Alan Scott was not associated with the Corps.

Really digging this show so far. It helps that Stargirl is one of my favorite new characters of the last 20 years. And she dates from when I still considered Geoff Johns a good writer.

It also helps that I am a sucker for the JSA and Infinity Inc, which this new JSA is shaping up to be a version of.

I also am a fan of both Luke Wilson and Amy Smart, so that's a bonus.

My one gripe is that the JSA was massacred in the opening moments, but I suppose it wouldn't be a Geoff Johns story without an over reliance on death of characters to drive the plot.
« Last Edit: 30 June 2020, 21:48:29 by roosterboy »

Maniac Actual

• Lieutenant
    • checkout my fantasy and SF writing
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2020, 05:43:16 »
It was a rough start but it is getting better.

Still have a bit of a personal issue with Hourman's power but they did address it slightly in show.  I'll not go further into it because it can get rule 4 real fast.

very curious how a discussion of Hour Man's power would impact rule 4.  Not trying to start something, just curious about the connection.  PM me if you don't want to put it out here, please.
AS may be as much a representation of the Battletech universe as the original tabletop game is, but if you tell someone "I'm playing Battletech" chances are, if they know what that is, they're going to take you to mean the original tabletop game. - Steve Restless

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2020, 06:37:38 »
Alan Scott was not associated with the Corps.

I know. I was asking if there was ever a direct heritage character to Scott’s Green Lantern rather than one that was in the GLC?

I guess Jade was kind of it?

Edit: just had a thought: what if, instead of using the Alan Scott version of the Green Lantern, they used the Tangent Comics version instead. Iirc, and they already named dropped Alan Scott, but it would have been interesting to use this other version instead.

Ruger
« Last Edit: 01 July 2020, 08:10:38 by Ruger »

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2020, 08:54:17 »
I'm kinda mixed so far.  On one hand, Courtney is rather immature and annoyingly impetuous.  On the other hand, she's a teenager who's convinced that her father was murdered, so impulsive, ill-advised behavior is par for the course.  So complaining about her acting foolishly is like complaining that Sherlock Holmes was a know-it-all.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2020, 10:17:57 »
very curious how a discussion of Hour Man's power would impact rule 4.  Not trying to start something, just curious about the connection.  PM me if you don't want to put it out here, please.

I'll offer a clarification here.

It is less the powers themselves and the mechanics behind how he gets them and my personal feelings about them that are at issue.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2020, 09:48:24 »
Interesting factoid:
They are actually speaking norwegian when they claim to be. Not the worst accents I've heard either.

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2020, 19:58:30 »
Been enjoying the show so far :)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2020, 00:24:15 »
I just wish that Stargirl would stop being so arrogant/stubborn and respect what her stepdad is trying to tell her.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 29 July 2020, 04:34:12 »
I just wish that Stargirl would stop being so arrogant/stubborn and respect what her stepdad is trying to tell her.

I think after this latest episode or two, she’s well on her way to that. If not already there.

Ruger

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: 29 July 2020, 09:27:18 »
Looking forward to the final two of the season. Thing are coming to a head. :)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #13 on: 29 July 2020, 13:55:07 »

Plus she is a teenager.  Remembering that does help me tolerate that we have yet another arrogant, entitled, and spoiled superhero from Berlanti productions.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #14 on: 03 August 2020, 21:52:17 »
Is this a swing at a Justice League show?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 04 August 2020, 00:51:32 »
I hope not. The movie was very forgettable IMO
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 04 August 2020, 04:22:30 »
Is this a swing at a Justice League show?

Justice Society of America. This is Earth-2 after all.

Ruger

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 04 August 2020, 05:41:01 »

Ruger
Wasn't Earth-2 one of the first Earth's destroyed in the Crisis of Infinite Earths?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #18 on: 04 August 2020, 08:46:26 »
Wasn't Earth-2 one of the first Earth's destroyed in the Crisis of Infinite Earths?

Yes but it got restored.

Earth Prime(Batwoman, Black Lightning Flash, Legends, Supergirl) is just isolated from the rest of the multiverse now for whatever reason.  Which they are also playing around with their own attempt at a Justice League there too.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #19 on: 05 August 2020, 16:16:25 »

Ruger

Doh! I don't know why I posted that. I meant "Society"; always preferred those comics and characters anyways.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 13 August 2020, 17:47:10 »
Loved the season finale. Really wish they would make series (or at least mini-series or TV movies) for some of those movies they advertised at the theater in the background (especially The Haunted Tank and GI Robot).

Ruger

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #21 on: 13 August 2020, 18:48:54 »
There are things I would do to get a Haunted Tank movie/series.

Not nice things.  Things I'd need a shower after.  Things I'd need years of therapy after doing.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #22 on: 13 August 2020, 20:18:08 »
There are things I would do to get a Haunted Tank movie/series.

Not nice things.  Things I'd need a shower after.  Things I'd need years of therapy after doing.

oh VERY MUCH agreed!

A.E. Housman

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 14 August 2020, 00:15:39 »
I'm glad that they killed at least one bad guy, Brainwave (Good job, Wildcat), as he was the most dangerous and a psychopath of the highest order. The disposition of Icicle, Tigress and the Sportsman was left unclear. Definitely defeated, but jailed rather than dead. Hoping that Icicle is dead as well. Aside from Brainwave, no one deserves it more.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #24 on: 14 August 2020, 00:21:08 »
Only to defy the trend of wasting villains do I hope Icicle is still around and able to come back for revenge.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 14 August 2020, 00:28:26 »
Only to defy the trend of wasting villains do I hope Icicle is still around and able to come back for revenge.
There's a new Super Baddie on the way, so no great loss.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #26 on: 14 August 2020, 01:48:37 »

Nah, don’t need him. He’s got a kid who can develop ice powers (and does in the comics) and come back for revenge. Better fits with the legacy theme anyway.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 14 August 2020, 02:14:39 »
Nah, don’t need him. He’s got a kid who can develop ice powers (and does in the comics) and come back for revenge. Better fits with the legacy theme anyway.
And the youth movement as well. Shiv killed her father and will assume his role in the next nefarious act of the ISA.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: 14 August 2020, 02:22:47 »
The creators have also said that some of the events in the finale will have reprecussions for characters in season 2 - especially considering their age (ie Wildcat killing Brainwave).

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #29 on: 14 August 2020, 05:46:22 »
The creators have also said that some of the events in the finale will have reprecussions for characters in season 2 - especially considering their age (ie Wildcat killing Brainwave).

Legally, I’d see that last as self-defense, so no criminal charges (or at least dismiss them).

Psychologically, Yolanda’s probably going to be a mess.

But by that same token, so should Mike.

Ruger

Register