Author Topic: Introductory Tournament a hit in Iowa (pic heavy)  (Read 4469 times)

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
  • A great starter adventure.
Introductory Tournament a hit in Iowa (pic heavy)
« on: 20 March 2012, 23:37:01 »
Every year our core gaming group puts on a private con in Iowa called Cheapcon.  Usually attendance is about 20 folks.  Since most of them had never played battletech I decided to bring "Big Stompy Robots" to the con in the form of an introductory tournament.  We used 3025 rules only, and we had two instructors on hand to help everyone get the hang of things and avoid flipping through rule books.

In preparation I took the units from two copies of the introductory box set and divided them into 8 factions using the master unit list website for balance.  Here's a shot of the sign-up table.

As you can tell I ran out of time to paint all 32 mechs.  To give new players a hint at the depth of the battletech universe, each signup sheet had the symbol of the faction they would represent and summary catch phrase.  We had takers for all 8 teams, most of which had never played battletech before.

The premise of the match was a "Mech Olympics".  Any nation, no matter how small, that could put up a lance was allowed to compete.  Victory conditions were simple, each player started with a 4 mech lance.  The object was to achieve a 3-1 unit advantage over the other player, or if that wasn't possible, be the last Mech standing.  To make things a little more interesting each side had a command and communication bunker that provided a +4 initiative advantage situated on a hill on their home side.  Destroy your opponents' bunker while keeping yours alive and you'll probably gain initiative for the rest of the fight.

Here's a shot of the first match, Oberon Confederation vs Taurian Concordat.    The oddly painted units were fighting for the Oberon Confederation.  The Taurians (in tan) easily won the day by getting a 3-1 unit advantage that stopped the match in their favor.

The second match between the Draconis Combine and the Lryan Commonwealth started out with a bang.  On the first round of close combat, the Draconis Hunchback blew the head off the Lyran Zeus!  The Lyrans played well and with a non-insubstantial number of kicks from their Banshee were able to pull out a win.

Bout three turned into a real grudge match between two old friends,  neither of which had ever played battletech before.  One picked the Capellan Confederation, the other the Magistracy of Canopus.  At the end of this match the last remaining unit on the winning side had one leg,  one arm, no center torso armor, and a head hit.  The Magistracy was able to get it done... barely.

The last match was also between two old friends, one of which had wanted to run an Atlas from the moment he saw the artwork in an old 3025 tech readout.  Here the Free Worlds League faces off against the Federated Suns.  The Leaguers had an Awesome. Their tactic was to concentrated on everything but the Atlas trying to win via the 3 to 1 rule.  Before they could get it done, the Fed's Jagermech was able to score a couple of luckly crits.  At the end it came down to the Altas vs. the Awesome.  By using cover to advance, the Atlas was able to put down the Awesome and become the last mech standing, handing a win to the Federated Suns.

At the end of the first round, here's the damage.  I hope to get together with the winners soon to see who takes home the Gold.

Everyone seemed to really enjoy the Tournament.   Two people went out and picked up the box set, and I have a new player for my Battletech RPG.  Next year I'm considering taking this introductory format to the public convention in our home town.
« Last Edit: 29 March 2012, 23:05:55 by bytedruid »
Hat tips to Slightlylyons who fixed aerotech in one post and to Daryk for organized cool stuff.

Alex Keller

• Captain
Re: Introductory Tournament a hit in Iowa (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2012, 15:26:58 »
Very cool.  I grew up in West Des Moines and there was absolutely no Battletech around. 

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2012, 15:39:59 »
Very cool.  I grew up in West Des Moines and there was absolutely no Battletech around.

I think the time is right to spring BTech on the local gaming groups.  There are tons of miniature war gamers around that are looking for something other than warhammer 40k.  They just don't know battletech exists, but I'm working on that  ;).

Of the new folks I've introduced to the game all of then have enjoyed it, and about 66% are rather enthusiastic, which says alot about the game's approachability.  One of the new players described the game as "intricate simplicity".
Hat tips to Slightlylyons who fixed aerotech in one post and to Daryk for organized cool stuff.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2012, 16:47:59 »
This "space" for rent  ;D  O0
Where'd you get that line from? It's hilarious for the OC!
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2012, 17:04:54 »
Where'd you get that line from? It's hilarious for the OC!
I told my good friend Greg, who wanted to run the OC, to read the sarna.net article on them and come up with something appropriate.  He made up this saying since the OC was hiring out its military for merc missions.

BARNESGN

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2012, 15:37:41 »
very catchy idea ... loved it

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2012, 23:11:40 »
very catchy idea ... loved it
Thanks for reading!  Since I'm an RPG'er at heart I wanted to put more of the focus on the factions.  Heck for the mechwarriors that died we rolled the record sheet up and taped it closed, instead of just chucking it in the garbage.

BARNESGN

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 31 March 2012, 19:41:06 »
what kind of terrain did you use as the .... looks like a power station

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2012, 00:58:04 »
what kind of terrain did you use as the .... looks like a power station
That was fun, it's a girl scout cookie container and a few soda straws sprayed with krylon fusion.  I would have liked to have crafted something more appropriate.  We decided that the center of the battlefield was a hardened bunker containing the "box seats" for the high rolling crowd.  Even though this terrain looks nothing like that it's what I had on hand so we used it as a stand in.

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
« Reply #9 on: 04 April 2012, 20:03:46 »
 O0