Author Topic: Operation FREEDOM! Robinson Rangers Vs Ryuken-Nin(Quickstrike)  (Read 4311 times)

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
Glenmora
Gaelcon Military District
Draconis Combine
November 30th 3067

Convinced that comrades missing since the fighting between forces loyal to the Draconis march and the combine in 3062, a small force of  2nd Robinson rangers have jumped the border after receiving an Intel packet from a mysterious source.

Camp 238-H, to all appearances is a DCMS penal stockade, but the rangers are convinced it's actually a POW camp, who's hidden status is used to allow the jailers to torture and abuse their charges. It's the rangers' bad luck, however, when they discover the else's nominal garrison has been reinforced by the retinue of a visitor from high command...

Camp 238-H

The Forces for the Dragon.
Crusader -5K
Sunder OC
Wolverine 8C
Kanazuchi Battle Armor
Raiden Battle Armor X2
LRM Carrier X 2
Pegasus X2
Regulator X2
Foot Platoon X3
Foot Platoon Laser X3
Catapult K2
Dragon 1N
Grasshopper 5N
Trebuchet 8B
Behemoth Heavy Tank X2
Zhukov X2
Hunter X2
Pike X2

The 2nd Robinson Rangers
Pheonix Hawk 6D
Griffin 3M
Lynx 8Q
Raijin 101-A
Enforcer II 6G X2
Nightsky -4S
Cicada 3F
Clint 6S
Griffin 3M
Hellspawn 7D

Shrekk X4
Typhoon RAC X2
Ontos Light Guass
Goblin X 4

Turn 1

So the Rangers move on en mass from the East side of the table. Their opening salvo spreading damage across the Combine Crusader and Zhukov While outright destroying the 2nd Zhukov.
The Avatar is striped of armor giving it cause for concern.
The Dracs retaliate With the Left side focusing on the Lead Cicada. But all it takes is the Sunders Fire and the Cicada goes down a smoldering heap. While the Right Side focus on one of the Nightskys who absorbs just enough firepower to end up a smoking heap on the mountain. As they move forward to intercept the invaders.

Turn 2   
The Bulk of the Rangers attempt to place the Woods between them and the Very lethal Sunder Putting there Focus on the regular Garrison forces removing the armor from the Catapult and Grasshopper.  While the Wolverine takes enough hurt to cause a Fire control hit.

The Damaged Avatar and Zhukov fall back while the rest push the defense.
Seeing as how most of the invaders are hiding from them. The Bulk of the Combine Warriors share the love with the Enforcer and Nightsky who have moved to the Woods on front city.An Enforcer suffers minor damage as the Second Nightsky joins its Brother as a big smoking pile of scrap.

Turn 3
The Rangers take the initiative this turn. 
The Dracs push against the Enforcers who remained in the woods for cover.
While the Sunder Falls back towards the base since the rangers are leaving the the woods between them. It pops a hail mary shot off at the Pheonix Hawk that connects and ends the mech. The Hovertanks Skirt the woods looking for rear shots on the mech. They succeed in doing minor damage to the Raijin.  A Pegasi Dies while the second one looses its armor. One of the Regulators takes a Fire control hit. in the process.
A lot of the Combine fire goes awry.
While Rangers Shreks and mechs manage to drop the Catapult and Zhukov with their shots this turn.
Then the Jungle Cameo Tank unit decided to drop the Center building an infantry squad is hiding in It may have been a waste of a lot of shots but it felt good to drop it.

Turn 4
The remaining members of the Garrisons dracs fall back from the woods  to the relative safety of the Buildings. It proves no safer as the Ranger tanks drop the Grasshopper joins his Ancestors.
One of the Rangers lances reorganize behind the woods and Take long range shots against the LRM Carriers on the Hill. Leaving one of them a smoking husk.
The Enforcers land a hit on the Sunder letting him know he's involved in a fight.
The Goblins move into the safety of the Woods. The Dracs have anther bad turn of fire but they manage to drop the Clint this round.

Turn 5

The Enforcers fall back behind a hill for cover and begin to engage the Fire support tanks on the mountain at the rear of the Prison Dropping a Hunter with combined fire.
The Typhoons break cover in an attempt to get closer to the action. They pay for it as one of them goes up in smoke. The Damage the Dragon leaving it with one point of damage remaining.
The Dracs reorganize in the Prison concentrating on the Griffin that broke cover. It goes bang but they manage to score a few more hits on the Sunder and Wolverine.
The mechs behind the woods stay where they are and fire at the 2nd LRM carrier. They only manage to strip the armor. The Shreks drop a Behemoth further weakening the Right side forces.

Turn 6
Ranger Enforcers keep up the pressure on the remaining Hunter but only manage to strip  the armor from it.
The Dragon falls back to try keep itself out of line of fire. And the Trebuchet becomes the Davions tanks target of choice.
With the Jungle lance taking down the Remaining Behemoth.
And the last LRM carrier goes down to the mechs who have been targeting it.
The Hellspawn Flees back to the safe embrace of the forest. And all shots coming in on it go wide.
The Bulldogs combine their efforts to take a squad of Infantry from one of the prison buildings.
And the frustration of the Dracs continue as not one shot from their forces strikes their targets.

Turn 7
All the Jungle lance push forward taking down a Pike but loosing the Typhoon to the mass of return fire. Not a fair trade but we'll take the hit. The Enforcers to move forward taking cover among some rubble having a change of heart they  target for the  hiding Dragon and end it career.
The Sunder misses the Hellfire again and takes a Volley of return fire taking loosing more armor to a combined effort of the Davions.
Shreks target the other pike only one shot connects.
The Ryuken forces are looking a little Thin and score some major hurt against an Ontos.

Turn 8
The woods provide a good source of cover from the Davion mechs and Shreks. As they lass out at the Sunder and Remaining support tanks. They get into the internals of the Sunder and finish off the tanks.
Dealing a double tap to kill the Crusader the Enforcers enter the city.
3 of the Goblins make it beside one of the prison buildings and remove the infantry inside. All the Goblins take a few points of Damage for their efforts but none of them go down. Which irks the Hovertank force that had gotten behind  one of the Goblins. And the Goblin manages to strike back at a Regulator causing a Fire control hit.

Turn 9
Now in a full Flanking maneuver the Hover tanks fly around the woods to strike into the rear of the Damaged Shreks.
They cause a weapon hit to one of the more damaged ones. But loose the good Regulator in return.
The Sunder connects with the Hellspawn who had remained in the woods again the assualt leaves nothing of the mech but a scorch mark. A few long range shots on the Sunder results in a Fire control hit.
Ever effective the Enforcers set their sites on the Avatar and put it down with conviction.
Regrettably  one of the exposed Ontos gets removed from play by the various Infantry  around it.

Turn 10
Robinson has the Prison. The move into forcing the Dracs to retreat. As it exits the Sunder finally goes down to a mass of PPCs. Finally the beast is dead.
The Ontos clears out the Kazanuchi and the Goblins damage the Infiltrators.
Trying to regroup with its companions the Trebuchet falls afoul of the ever effective Enforcers. Who have a sneaky attack from the Hovertanks that goes wide into the Buildings. The Regulator gets mobbed by free mechs and skids to a halt.

Turn 10
Robinson has the Prison. The move into forcing the Dracs to retreat. As it exits the Sunder finally goes down to a mass of PPCs. Finally the beast is dead.
The Ontos clears out the Kazanuchi and the Goblins damage the Infiltrators.
Trying to regroup with its companions the Trebuchet falls afoul of the ever effective Enforcers. Who have a sneaky attack from the Hovertanks that goes wide into the Buildings. The Regulator gets mobbed by free mechs and skids to a halt.
And The Goblin succeeds in finding some POW's.

With the fall of the Sunder and the Trebuchet that leaves a Defective Wolverine and some infantry with a Pegasus for backup. The Dracs decide its time to call it a day. Someone has to survive to report their Failure then slit open their bellys.

The final Lay of the Land.

There where a lot of downed units left from both sides by the time the Camp gained its freedom.
Lorcans force where quite unlucky for several turns. But as the Rangers player. I am glad he missed so Often. :)

A fun game but that Sunder was far to scary for my poor little guys to try take on at the start.
I know it didn't hit a lot but when it did I lost the unit it aimed at. And my Shreks where hitting at a level of ridiculousness. But its part of the reason I brought them was the long range punch.
I was hoping from more from the Typhoons. But maybe next game.

After this game I am quite happy to play Quickstrike with 1 company per player. It's an easily handled level for players to keep track of and lets People play quite tactically during the game.

« Last Edit: 31 March 2013, 15:06:12 by markhall »

Sagittaire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Catalyst Field Agent #455
Re: Operation FREEDOM! Robinson Rangers Vs Ryuken-Nin(Quickstrike)
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2013, 12:33:25 »
Nice report. How long did it take to play out the scenario using the Quick Strike rules?
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

Member of: Southern Ontario Battletech Society Facebook Group

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2013, 12:36:36 »
Would be easier to follow if you listed the forces each side had at the start.... :)

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2013, 15:26:23 »
The DCMS had:

Command Lance:
Crusader 5K
Sunder C
Wolverine 8C

Mech Lance 2
Catapult K2
Grasshopper 5N
Dragon 1N
Trebuchet 8B

Heavy Tank lance
Behemoth x2
Zhukov x2

Support Lance 1
Hunter (3054) x2
Pike (RAC) x2

Hovertank lance:
Pegasus (3058) x2
Regulator x2

Support lance 2:
LRM Carrier x2

Infantry Company:
4x rifle platoons
2x SRM platoons

Battle Armour platoon:
Raiden x2
Kanazuchi

The AFFS had:

Command Lance
Griffin 3M
Lynx 8Q
Phoenix HaWK 6D
Raijin 101-A

Striker Lance
Enforcer III 6G x2
Nightsky 4S x2

Support Lance
Cicada 3F
Clint 6S
Griffin 3M
Hellspawn 7D

Tank lance 1
Ontos (light Gauss) x2
Typhoon (RAC) x2

Tank Lance 2
Schreck x4

Rescue lance
Goblin (3058) x4
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2013, 15:38:27 »
Nice report. How long did it take to play out the scenario using the Quick Strike rules?
We where in the Shop for about 5 hours in total. So in between chats and Messing about.
 It probably took us 4 hours to finish out the game.
We could have gone longer but the Dracs where fairly done at the stage we ended the game.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2013, 15:48:13 »
It was a very enjoyable game overall, despite my inability to hit at almost every critical moment - the 3 or so turns that my C3 lance missed with every. Damned. Shot definitely contributed to my defeat, but I can't possibly single them out while the Hunters and Pikes managed to pepepr the landscape with LRMs and cannon rounds enough to probably kill a Leviathan Prime, leaving a number of Enforcer III-shapes that were at no point filled with a dead Enforcer III.

Corrinald

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2013, 10:21:24 »
Great pictures and writeup!  Looks like a very fun game.

As I read battle reports like this, I'm becoming more and more interested in trying the Quick Strike ruleset. 

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2013, 10:29:31 »
definitely give it a shot, it's a lot of fun

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2013, 11:31:09 »
Great pictures and writeup!  Looks like a very fun game.

As I read battle reports like this, I'm becoming more and more interested in trying the Quick Strike ruleset.

Quickstrike is definitely worth trying. Best Advice I can give is to start small and Simple.
A Company of 3025 mechs per side. Should give you a solid grasp on the Game dynamics.
Then Increase the force size and tech as you get better at it.
We're currently operating at a Company/Trinary per player to keep the game from bogging down.
And be sure to share your results when you start swatting lances off the table.

krate

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 03 April 2013, 17:37:01 »
Wow! Great battle report! That looked like some good times there! Thanks for sharing. :)