Author Topic: Force design challenge: Generic 3SW Lances  (Read 1291 times)

rogueranger1993

• Corporal
  • Of noble birth and mercenary mind...
Force design challenge: Generic 3SW Lances
« on: 22 February 2019, 20:42:41 »
Hey all. Seeing as I'm running a BTech RPG game that uses Alpha Strike to play out the vehicular combat, I've found that creating a force can be a bit time consuming, especially if you're doing it right before a game. With limited time to play, I've decided that it would be a good idea to have a collection of generic pre-generated lances that I can simply print off when I need an OpFor and don't need a custom-tailored force. In order to make things a bit quicker (hopefully), I've decided to ask the community for some help! ;D

What I need is a set of generic BattleMech lances for each Successor State, Generic Mercenaries, and maybe Generic Pirates. For now, I just want to cover BattleMech lances - I may eventually start a topic for vehicle forces, but that is not for today, so let's move on. Ideally, I would like to have one of each formation type detailed in Campaign Operations, for each faction. Point Value is not a huge concern for me, since I'm looking more for factional flavor then strict PV totals, but you can use it as a measuring bar if you like. All pilots should have a skill of 4, as these are supposed to be bog-standard, generic lances for each faction, so no pilots who are uber-elite or horrifically green!  :D

I know this is probably a pretty big undertaking, but hopefully multiple people can chime in for their favorite factions to spread out the required effort. So, the gauntlet has been thrown, who dares to answer my challenge!?  >:D

1. Incoming fire has the right of way.
2. The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
3. Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.
                                   - excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Force design challenge: Generic 3SW Lances
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2019, 21:07:24 »
My take on stereotypical Kurita 3rd SW lances:

Battle: Dragon, Lancelot (Introtech version), Panther, Panther (100PV)
Assault: Atlas, Warhammer, Crusader-K, Hunchback (146PV)
Striker: Dragon, Ostroc, Charger, Phoenix Hawk-K (115PV)
Fire: Archer, Crusader, Whitworth, Catapult-K (129PV)
Recon: Pick'em: 4x Bug Mechs (60ish PV)
Pursuit: Phoenix Hawk, Jenner, Jenner, Spider (99PV)
Command: BattleMaster, Dragon, Shadow Hawk-K, Rifleman (128PV)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2019, 21:31:44 »
Combat Manual: Kurita and Mercenaries have standard lances for those two factions (one of each formation type).

I did the same for Marik, Liao, Steiner (and Calderon) in my fan project.
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=63772.0

CM Kurita and Mercs had some restrictions (chosen 'mechs had to be in the 25th anniv box set or AS lance packs) that precluded the Unseen.

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

rogueranger1993

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2019, 21:50:11 »
Thanks for the submission, Tai Dai, you've been pretty active in a lot of my threads - and you often have some really good ideas that I rather like. Thanks!  :thumbsup:

Kestrel, I had totally forgotten about the Combat Manual lances - I have the Merc book in PDF, but alas, I don't have the Kurita bok yet - I find that ironic, because I'm also missing Handbook: House Kurita despite having EVERY OTHER handbook... I need to catch up on that... xp

As an aside, do the CM lances have all of the formation variants from CO? If not, then submissions for the missing formations would be great.

2. The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2019, 23:48:51 »
Here is my crack at some 3rd Succession War Davion Lances, based on the AS Companion rules:

Battle: Warhammer, Victor, Marauder, Griffin
Assault: Atlas, Stalker, Marauder, Warhammer
Striker/Cavalry: Centurion, Enforcer, Phoenix Hawk, Dervish
Fire: Stalker, Long Bow, JagerMech, Griffin
Recon: Valkyrie, Valkyrie, Javelin, Wasp
Pursuit: Phoenix Hawk, Valkyrie, Wasp, Shadow Hawk
Command: Atlas, Victor, Shadow Hawk, JagerMech

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2019, 00:26:36 »
Each CM has the primary formations: Battle, Assault, Command, Fire, Striker, Support, Recon, and I think Pursuit. And then one of their “new” formations, like Order for Kurita.   They don’t have all the variations, like Medium Battle, or Fire Support, or Heavy Striker.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2019, 17:11:29 »
Light lance. 3-4 lights. 0-1 mdium, preferably below 50 tons
Medium lance. 0-1 light, 2-4 mediums, 0-1 heavy.
Combat. 0-1 medium, 2-4 heavy, 0-1 assault.
Assault. 2+ assaults. 0-2 heavy

Tactics/design will depend on the type and capabilities of mechs assigned to the lance, but in general ay combo of mechs should do.

rogueranger1993

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2019, 22:57:34 »
First off, thanks for the help, Tai Dai and Valkerie. I've used just finished using the MUL AS Force Builder to create the PDF files for each lance you've given me. You guys are a huge help!

Also, thanks for clarifying for me, kestrel. I plan to go through the one CM I have (the Mercs one), and using the MUL force builder to create the cards for the lances in it. Same for your documants, too.

Elmoth, I am aware of what goes into making lances. What I'm looking for here is some help from the community to create generic lances for each general formation type that match the 'flavor' of the different factions, rather than an optimized force. I can sometimes struggle to put together a force that works as a proper formation, but also has the 'feel' of a specific faction, and that's something I want to capture in these pre-gen forces I'm making.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2019, 22:55:40 »
Really cool Recce / Striker lance: 4/6/4 (8j) 91PV

Wyvern-6N (27PV)   2/2/1
Stinger-3G (14PV)   1/1
Whitworth-1 (25PV) 2/2/2
Whitworth-1 (25PV) 2/2/2

Effectively generic, even if you went a STG-3R, which doesn't do anything to the PV.

TT

( Yes I know the Stinger is a 12j... but as a whole, the Lance moves as one. )
« Last Edit: 25 February 2019, 22:58:17 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016