Author Topic: Help building a company for Liao, Marik, and Kurita  (Read 1600 times)

Hawhaw

• Corporal
Help building a company for Liao, Marik, and Kurita
« on: 21 September 2013, 19:24:02 »
I need help building a balanced company for each of those Houses with 3039 tech.

Are the sample companies that are shown in the Army Report books balanced? If so then I will just use those and another question regarding companies, Sarna.net says that Companies include ancillary units, usually scout, armor, or artillery. Does that mean they have a vehicle lance?
« Last Edit: 21 September 2013, 19:36:06 by Hawhaw »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Help building a company for Liao, Marik, and Kurita
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2013, 22:47:07 »
You mean these army reports?

The companies presented in those documents are more or less balanced against each other with the Battle Value system, the official balancing mechanism for the game. Some people like it, some people dismiss it entirely. My advice is to try using it and see how you like it (I find BV to work better when both sides have similar numbers of units, like the company v company engagement you're proposing).

Internally, they're all relatively balanced units with a mix of speed, range, jumping units and firepower.

Sarna.net says that Companies include ancillary units, usually scout, armor, or artillery. Does that mean they have a vehicle lance?

Depends on how in-depth you want to get. The 4th Succession War and War of 3039 era saw a lot of combined arms where conventional units were attached to Mech formations (see Regimental Combat Team). ComStar's military arm the ComGuards use combined arms at the most basic levels.

« Last Edit: 21 September 2013, 22:49:15 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Hawhaw

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2013, 23:22:36 »
Yep those reports. I guess I'll just have to give them a try then. Thank! :)

Would playing combined arms be complicated or just the same?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2013, 23:28:25 »
Depends on how familiar you are with the rules. If you're just starting to get the hang of the game, I'd stick with mechs until you feel a little more comfortable. I don't find that vehicle rules are inherently more complicated, they're just different.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Hawhaw

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2013, 00:37:45 »
I've only just started playing so I guess it'll be better for me stick with mechs for the time being. Thanks for your help!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2013, 00:55:27 »
Happy to help. Don't be afraid to toss out any other questions you have about the game from rules to fluff. Chances are good someone with the proper knowledge will bump into the thread before too long.