Author Topic: Chaos campaigns for two players  (Read 1567 times)

Church14

• Lieutenant
Chaos campaigns for two players
« on: 05 November 2019, 12:16:23 »
So all of the Chaos campaign tracks I’ve found seem written from the point of view that one player is the GM and guiding the experience of the other players. Are there any that are written where both sides have equal agency?

The free Chaos campaign PDF is even written this way. Looking at the first fight in that PDF, it’s written from the point of view that the defender is a GM. The attacker decides if they want to face minefields, the defender just has to accept whichever way it goes.

Also, am I reading this wrong? If I’m just missing something, the please correct me. I’ve read plenty of rules wrong over the years

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Chaos campaigns for two players
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2019, 12:31:33 »
There are some that offer two player sides, it just depends on the materials.

Did you back the KS?  If so you should have gotten a digital version of ER3052 which was a product that came out shortly after the Chaos system was created.  It has some generic tracks that you can use for player vs player as well as Clan specific tracks.  I know several folks created their own collection of Chaos tracks, not sure if any of those were linked.

Best suggestion I have is Campaign Ops, which has a map based campaign that can be player vs player with each encounter being played as Chaos tracks.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2019, 12:32:27 »
Vega 3039 was intended as two players.

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2019, 12:38:02 »
Good point!

Were not all the Starters opposing Chaos campaigns?  Fist & Falcon, Sword & Dragon and Wolf & Blake?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2019, 12:48:16 »
Sword and Dragon wasn't designed as such, or if it was, I don't think it was well laid out and could have used an example of how it would be played as such since each side had completely different tracks and they fought random forces each time.

The recent Succession Wars campaign is clearly laid out for this, IMO.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2019, 12:50:07 »
some are hybrid where the standard scenarios pitting one PC vs OpFor. the Touchpoints in those tend to put both players against each other

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2019, 13:11:38 »
Sword and Dragon had two players, with some missions alternating each Pakistan against the other player running a random opfor, switching up roles, and then playing head2head in missions called ... I don’t remember the term. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 05 November 2019, 13:27:56 »
head2head in missions called ... I don’t remember the term.

Touchpoints

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 05 November 2019, 14:32:38 »
Hm. Touchpoints seem good if we want a really open ended campaign. We might use those. We are both Kickstarter backers, so we’d have those from Era 3052 available.

Just so I understand: Mission: Defend has 3 options to increase the cost of the track. Night Combat, High Winds, and Surprised. Is it that either player can pay the extra cost to add those conditions? Because the Defender would never voluntarily pay for Surprised (-4 to defender’s init rolls for X turns).

EDIT: The more I read these missions from ER3052, the more it is a GM running a campaign for someone.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2019, 14:41:06 by Church14 »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #9 on: 05 November 2019, 14:54:57 »
It can be for any situation IMO . . . but honestly, for Defend?  If the attacker chose 'Surprise' my inclination would be to have a good chunk (if not all) of that WP cost go directly to the defending player.
Colt Ward

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #10 on: 06 November 2019, 12:11:09 »
The recent Succession Wars campaign is clearly laid out for this, IMO.

P. 3 of that product presents options for both GM vs player(s) and player(s) vs. player(s).

Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2019, 20:01:35 »
SnD the sabers and teeth meet once, in the last scenario

Wolf and Blake you meet three times, the last in the middle of an erupting volcano

Register