Author Topic: (Answered) Partial wings and heat revisited  (Read 1737 times)

A. Lurker

• Major
(Answered) Partial wings and heat revisited
« on: 24 May 2014, 23:47:29 »
If it's true that as per this post the additional MP provided by a partial wing do not generate heat when used...then how does that work for intermediate-length jumps? Or to put it another way, at what point am I actually considered to be actively using that bonus?

Example: Let's say I have a medium 'Mech with five standard jump jets and a partial wing. It's operating in a standard atmosphere, so it's eligible for a +2 jump MP bonus -- it can jump up to seven hexes, which normally would build up 7 heat by the pre-errata stock rules (1 heat per hex jumped, though with the partial wing's heat dissipation bonus then also being applied during the heat phase), but the errata reduces this number to 5. So far, so good.

But what if it decides to only jump, say, five hexes instead? Does it build up 5 heat as normal, because it doesn't actually use the extended maximum jump range? 3, because I can claim that only three of those MP actually come from its jets? Can I choose to deliberately split the difference and have it build up exactly 4 because that's just what the triple-strength myomers ordered?
« Last Edit: 28 May 2014, 16:47:47 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Partial wings and heat revisited
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2014, 16:47:37 »
We'll be further clarifying the errata:

In addition, the bonus Jumping MP provided by a Partial Wing is not included when calculating heat caused by a jump: to calculate the heat generated, subtract the Partial Wing’s Jumping MP bonus from the distance jumped. This cannot reduce the heat generated by a jump below 3 heat points.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

A. Lurker

• Major
Re: Partial wings and heat revisited
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2014, 00:22:10 »
We'll be further clarifying the errata:

In addition, the bonus Jumping MP provided by a Partial Wing is not included when calculating heat caused by a jump: to calculate the heat generated, subtract the Partial Wing’s Jumping MP bonus from the distance jumped. This cannot reduce the heat generated by a jump below 3 heat points.

So, hexes moved minus partial wing bonus (if any), down to the normal minimum? Sure, I can work with that. :)

(Note that strictly as written this would allow partial wings to reduce the heat cost of jumping with an XXL engine below its normal minimum of 6 on short jumps; I'm assuming here that that's not the intent, though.)

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Answered) Partial wings and heat revisited
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2014, 00:25:17 »
Ah, good call.  I'll make sure that's considered.  Thanks.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register