Author Topic: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)  (Read 198921 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)
« Reply #120 on: 04 December 2014, 18:54:49 »
same mech different role, the KII isn't a bad machine but its a sandblaster vs the K1's gut punches.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #121 on: 11 December 2014, 22:53:05 »
Well we finally got to find out what happened to Hans Older brother, Cal the Awesome. Cal the Slayer of dreams and visions.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #122 on: 12 December 2014, 00:43:57 »
Since I don't care about spoilers: so what happened? I hope the answer is got a shiny medal.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #123 on: 12 December 2014, 05:47:08 »
Since I don't care about spoilers: so what happened? I hope the answer is got a shiny medal.

Cal got a bum rap.  He was unable to pilot his 'Mech by himself due to injuries so he was forced to command the battle through a command console while another 'MechWarrior piloted the 'Mech.  When Nikky K bent over to check on Cal, the MechWarrior panicked and fired, killing poor Nikky.  This was intentionally left out of the history books to justify Clan Wolf's actions after Nikky was killed.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #124 on: 12 December 2014, 06:30:33 »
one of the many great clan tragedy's
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #125 on: 12 December 2014, 13:34:15 »
See and this is why I'm a fan of the Wolerines

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #126 on: 12 December 2014, 17:12:46 »
So is there anything in Clan history that did not get covered up?

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #127 on: 12 December 2014, 18:35:23 »

They originally came from the IS?

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #128 on: 12 December 2014, 19:13:43 »

Shall we go into all your dirty misdeeds they covered up?   :D

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #129 on: 12 December 2014, 19:25:34 »
They originally came from the IS?

WHAT?  WHO TOLD YOU THIS!?!?
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #130 on: 23 December 2014, 11:00:43 »
A question for those in the Aerospace arm.  The Ostrogoth http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ostrogoth heavy fighter, I would assume that due to the supply issues with the homeworlds, that the Ostrogoth would probably be the Bear's mainline heavy fighter/light assault fighter by now, replacing hard to get or repair Clan models.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #131 on: 23 December 2014, 13:17:46 »
A question for those in the Aerospace arm.  The Ostrogoth http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ostrogoth heavy fighter, I would assume that due to the supply issues with the homeworlds, that the Ostrogoth would probably be the Bear's mainline heavy fighter/light assault fighter by now, replacing hard to get or repair Clan models.

God I hope yes. Sarna lists it as an interceptor of dead Blakists. Personally I tend to pair it with Visigoths, but I only mess around with Aerospace in my spare time.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #132 on: 23 December 2014, 19:36:40 »

Jengiz is the Bear's mainline heavy fighter/light assault fighter (there is no such thing as an assault fighter). The Ostrogoth is the Bear's mainline medium fighter. Read the fluff. You may cackle now.
Sulla is the Bear's mainline light fighter. RATs suggest Batu but that is an error. The Bears have a Sulla factory.

Huscarl, Ammon 2, and Corax are the secondline trio.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #133 on: 23 December 2014, 23:37:23 »
False.

The Bears do have an assault fighter.

:p

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #134 on: 24 December 2014, 05:59:12 »
And here I thought the Leviathan was their assault fighter.  Oh well.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #135 on: 24 December 2014, 07:20:09 »

Well I was going to suggest that but...

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #136 on: 24 December 2014, 14:11:51 »

;D Close! Most people don't know this but its really the spheres biggest space truck.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #137 on: 24 December 2014, 18:46:44 »
;D Close! Most people don't know this but its really the spheres biggest space truck.

Optimus Leviathan Prime:  Transform and Roll Out!

(I am going to Hell.)
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #138 on: 24 December 2014, 19:31:07 »
Optimus Leviathan Prime:  Transform and Roll Out!

(I am going to Hell.)

I'll go with you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQAvMUUJr4#t=30

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #139 on: 24 December 2014, 21:27:42 »
I'll go with you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQAvMUUJr4#t=30

My brother and I are waiting for the Ravens to invent that to go with the Horse Quadvees (which I LOVE the concept of, just because I imagine the scientist meeting involved beer.  LOTS of beer.)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #140 on: 25 December 2014, 08:55:22 »
Another question for the Bears, this time directed at the design teams for the mechs...and no its not a case of why is this like this and not that..but about the skulls.

The Ursus, Ursus II, Kharu and I'm sure a few other mech's that we've produced recently feature skull like designs worked into their armour, in the case of the Usus's...Ursi?  Ursusususes...its their entire torso

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/b/b8/Ursus.jpg

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/e/e4/Ursus_II.jpg

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/e/e0/Ursus-PR.jpg

Whilst the Kharu has skull shaped shoulder guards, is there any reason for this? Its not exactly totem mechs and whilst the Falcons have gone berzerk (more so than usual of late) for mech's with wings and Falcon like styling that is more totem-esque than slapping a skull motif on the mech.

WeaponX

• Warrant Officer
  • Ghost Bear Maniac
    • Ghost Bear Mania
« Reply #141 on: 25 December 2014, 12:45:55 »
Whilst the Kharu has skull shaped shoulder guards, is there any reason for this? Its not exactly totem mechs and whilst the Falcons have gone berzerk (more so than usual of late) for mech's with wings and Falcon like styling that is more totem-esque than slapping a skull motif on the mech.

The skull motif of the Karhu was supposed to be based on bear skulls (there was a concept drawing released years ago that showed the Karhu's progeression to its final form, and it had a bear skull drawn next to the Karhu's skull-like shoulderpad to show the similarities), but I'm not sure if its the same in regards to the Ursus, though it would be easy enough to say that the Ursus skull motif was also inspired by bear skulls.
"Do you not understand the nature of the Bear?  For months he sleeps in hibernation, but do not dare disturb him.  The Bear's anger is unforgiving once provoked."

-Mechwarrior Zane
  Clan Nova Cat

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #142 on: 25 December 2014, 18:15:58 »
Aye thats what I thought with the Kharu, i'm just supprised that the Bear's are not doing a Jade Falcon and styling some more of their mechs to look a bit more ursine (IE like the Kodiak) rather than just going "Lets slap a skull on it! Blood for the Bloo...um...sorry.."

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #143 on: 27 December 2014, 01:09:46 »
The skull motif of the Karhu was supposed to be based on bear skulls (there was a concept drawing released years ago that showed the Karhu's progeression to its final form, and it had a bear skull drawn next to the Karhu's skull-like shoulderpad to show the similarities), but I'm not sure if its the same in regards to the Ursus, though it would be easy enough to say that the Ursus skull motif was also inspired by bear skulls.

Really?? Hunh, I didn't know that...anyone haopen to have a pic of that concept drawing? Would be interested in seeing that
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #144 on: 27 December 2014, 03:13:34 »
Indeed that is interesting, perhaps it could have been better if they had styled the cockpit to look a bit more ursine skull esque rather than on its pauldrons. 

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #145 on: 27 December 2014, 06:03:17 »
speaking of design motifs, I remember when the Cave Lion made its debut in AoD, and it just seemed to me like it was a natural Bear design, sharing the faux claws similarity with the Kodiak, especially after the Karhu was revealed and it had claws too (on one hand anyway, but in a setup very much like the Kodiak)

well it turned out to be a Nova Cat design, and nothing else Bear has claws, oh well, a lost opportunity IMO
I think claws would have been better than skulls
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #146 on: 27 December 2014, 06:29:06 »
Personally I am glad the Skull motif got nipped in the bud. Same with the claws. Simple and functional will do me.

As for the history of the skull motif, I really don't know. The root seems to be the art for the Ursus. But there was nothing special about that. Battletech has a long history of "look at me I am scary" designs.
The MWDA Karhu was the one that made it a motif. Someone, somewhere clearly wanted it. But at the same time unique MWDA Dominion equipment was so rare the concept never really got off the ground.
Compare with the MWDA Falcon motif. Plenty of releases, new 'Mechs, and a "lovely" new winged style to go with it. And a requirement to squeeze in tonnage-wasteful wings and talons into BT 'Mechs. Hmmm.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #147 on: 27 December 2014, 10:54:00 »
Ahh thanks for clearing it up :) I love the lunacy of the stylized Falcon mechs although one could 'blame' the Balius for starting this ball rolling :p  And for all the tonnage wasting the Falcons are producing some rather nasty winged machines.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #148 on: 27 December 2014, 18:04:52 »
Arguably the Kodiak started the ball rolling back in Invading Clans.
The oldest in game totem is probably the Mandrill.

The Falcons style is more about MWDA art styles.

WeaponX

• Warrant Officer
  • Ghost Bear Maniac
    • Ghost Bear Mania
« Reply #149 on: 27 December 2014, 22:16:39 »
Personally I am glad the Skull motif got nipped in the bud.

I agree, instead of using skulls on the Ursus and Karhu, they should have gone for a solid bear head motif similar to the Khan insignia instead, or even claw epaulets like the one the one found on the Rogue Bear BA.  To me skulls seem more like something Pirates or "unsophisticated" powers would use, not something a Clan that presides over one of the most prosperous areas of the IS, and where each individual strives to create a "Great Work", would use.  With that kind of "artistic" background, I would have expected the Bears to have more well sculpted aesthetic designs that brings their totem animal to life, not boxy things with skulls (which is the opposite of bringing something to "life") haphazardly pasted on them.  On the other hand, if painted like this picture I found of the Ursus, a skull motif actually looks pretty intimidating and so probably has a place on the Battlefield, though it shouldn't be overdone and made the standard of their overall mech designs as what seemed to have been planned.
"Do you not understand the nature of the Bear?  For months he sleeps in hibernation, but do not dare disturb him.  The Bear's anger is unforgiving once provoked."

-Mechwarrior Zane
  Clan Nova Cat

Register