Author Topic: (Answered) Dual-turret WiGEs  (Read 1523 times)

A. Lurker

• Major
(Answered) Dual-turret WiGEs
« on: 15 May 2015, 09:23:21 »
I think a bit of clarification may be in order: vehicular dual turrets (TO p. 347) are "[a]vailable to ground-based and naval-based Combat and Support Vehicles (but not airborne units such as VTOLs, Airships, Fixed-Wing units, and Satellites) [...]".

I'm unsure which of the two categories to sort Wing in Ground Effect vehicles into, though. On the one hand, they're clearly airborne (even if it's just a few meters off the ground) whenever going anywhere at anything like speed, on the other they're just as obviously ground-based enough to already carry regular turrets (as the Nishikigoi's turret-mounted quad Thunderbolt battery amply demonstrates). So, can they carry a second turret as well or not?
« Last Edit: 22 May 2015, 09:41:12 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Dual-turret WiGEs
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2015, 09:41:03 »
WiGEs aren't ground vehicles - that's a specific term that applies to wheeled, tracked, and hover vehicles (TW page 20) -- and therefore they don't have the ability to use dual turrets.  The fact that the text names literally every other vehicle type but WiGEs isn't helpful, admittedly.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

A. Lurker

• Major
Re: (Answered) Dual-turret WiGEs
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2015, 09:49:23 »
So, single turrets are okay but dual ones are explicitly not. Okay, I can work with that.

Kind of raises the followup question of "what about sponsons?", though. Strictly as written, those wouldn't be allowed to WiGEs either because the explicit permission to use them extends only to "ground-based, naval-based, and VTOL Combat and Support Vehicles" (TO p. 348) -- a list that conspicuously excludes WiGEs, although they're again not listed among the ones not permitted to use them either.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2015, 09:55:38 »
I assume we're following the same logic there then.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2015, 10:05:06 »
*nod*

So, single turrets only for WiGEs unless and until anyone should hear otherwise. Again, I can live with that; for about 98% of all 360-degree traverse needs (I'm arbitrarily assigning the other two to "sponson-mounted AMS"), one turret is quite sufficient anyway. :)

Thanks!

Register