Author Topic: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!  (Read 163509 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!
« Reply #900 on: 10 February 2018, 00:47:48 »
First of all, I didn't like Fairy Tail, either, but that's beside the point.

I'm quite certain that there haven't been any other anime where the power escalation went from modest superhuman to "accidentally punched a solar system to death."  If you'll pardon me for saying, DBZ's power escalation was over 9000.

And I'm pretty sure that I saw one episode that had a flashback to a previous flashback.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

kato

• Captain
« Reply #901 on: 10 February 2018, 01:33:16 »
For Death March, does the novels give any information on how old Arisa was while she was alive in Japan?
This is what she looks like when she dies in her spin-off manga (... her death scene is the single page generally used for advertising it, which may possibly tell us a bit about how happy-go-lucky it is).

Up to the point where the anime is at the light novel doesn't state an age. However between - in the LN - her not denying the accusation of being a shotacon for going after someone looking 15, and the above picture, you can pin her as somewhere in at least her mid 20s, possibly also older than the MC (who's 29).

After that point they were picked up by the slave trader and it seems that he has not been able to sell them yet at the point the MC picks them up.
Light novel: "There have been a few buyers" that they were presented to by Nidoren, but as the food situation is scarce people apparently don't buy slaves on a whim - especially hideous ones without skills like Lulu. In the LN he's also not happily going around buying up slaves like in the anime and manga btw, he sits through a product presentation by Nidoren out of courtesy and Arisa mindmagics him into buying them after Nidoren states that it's been decided that unsold slaves would be sent to the mines so they no longer have to feed them.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #902 on: 10 February 2018, 03:33:31 »
Yeah really need to find a copy of the LN to read. Always so much detail missing from the anime or manga.

Bringing up the age... So if both of them are older than mid 20s, it is a real mind &@^# if you think about it. Mentally both are adults but physically 11 and 15. Add on the fact they are in a fantasy setting where there is no legal or moral limitation to what they can do, yet she has no issue with it while he think of ending up a lolicon. Perhaps it is because she was reincarnated so has a better grasp of their reality and what that society is like.

Weird to think about.. mental age, physical age both of which are waaaaaay off. Would be difficult to wrap your head around and deal with until you have enough time to adjust.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #903 on: 10 February 2018, 03:51:12 »
Always so much detail missing from the anime or manga.
I prefer the manga. The light novel - as usual for the format - is rather all over the place and occasionally jumps slightly where you feel like "wait, shouldn't there have been..." while in other places losing itself in irrelevant sidetracking.

In comparison you really notice in the manga that they attempted to round out the story, that there was proper editing involved and that they tell it "better".

Mentally both are adults but physically 11 and 15. Add on the fact they are in a fantasy setting where there is no legal or moral limitation to what they can do, yet she has no issue with it while he think of ending up a lolicon.
The problem for him is that he does have a defined strike zone based on his mental age - and no, he's not a lolicon, rather the opposite. They're editing that out in the anime, but the manga has it; and the manga actually defines it better than the light novel. Key scene is where he's invited by Martha to the inn in Seiryuu. It's one place where the anime actually rewrites characters compared to manga and LN.

Actually that makes me wonder if there is any specifically isekai media out there with the opposite way of jumping. Someone becoming older. I know there's some older stuff that goes that way - Nanaka 6/17 comes to mind.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #904 on: 10 February 2018, 04:20:39 »
and no, he's not a lolicon

I know that, it's what I remember being referenced though while he was trying to regain control from Arisa's mind games.
And iirc a scene from the manga I believe where he goes somewhere else for entertainment.

I don't remember any anime that has the opposite, though in Altered Carbon (Netflix, has its own thread) the first episode has a 7yo getting downloaded into some 40/50 ish lady (having been murdered). That in itself (for the parents) was probably another mental nightmare to deal with though she wasn't the MC.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #905 on: 10 February 2018, 05:32:40 »
And iirc a scene from the manga I believe where he goes somewhere else for entertainment.
He apparently does that a couple times in the novel to relieve himself - even after he gets other, older girls just as eager as Arisa.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #906 on: 10 February 2018, 15:52:06 »
He apparently does that a couple times in the novel to relieve himself - even after he gets other, older girls just as eager as Arisa.
He does that, huh? I guess that is modern work ethics in play: no romances between employer and employees allowed.

Otherwise it seems a number of recent Japanese fiction are less concerned about upholding main characters' status as an otaku and have them [main characters] behave more like normal humans; e.g. "relieve themselves". Just other day I read a light novel where MC embrace his harem and ask female lead to spend the night with him... What the Hell!!? Still took 5 volumes though...
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #907 on: 10 February 2018, 16:54:05 »
Just other day I read a light novel where MC embrace his harem and ask female lead to spend the night with him... What the Hell!!? Still took 5 volumes though...

Maybe he saw this?

https://youtu.be/6FmtiDbg4xY
(warning, just as NSFW as any harem anime, but not worse so.)
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #908 on: 10 February 2018, 17:21:23 »
Maybe he saw this?
Isekai genre, so unlikely. Also entire harem are his fiancees and they have approval of #1 girl. And though some reviews call female characters tropes, I can't discern who is tsundere and who is yandere. How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom in case you care to know. I got it from Amazon.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #909 on: 10 February 2018, 19:41:10 »
Maybe he saw this?

That was funny.  Also probably seen all of the shows used in it too.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #910 on: 11 February 2018, 13:31:16 »
Maybe he saw this?

I think where i got serious laughing was when they showed the "You can spot a princess right away" a image of showed Frieza as one of the princesses.  ;D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #911 on: 11 February 2018, 13:53:50 »
About to Mazin-GO!

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #912 on: 11 February 2018, 14:14:43 »

While I'm generally not a fan of Mother's Basement, I so love this vid.
Just wonderful presentation and explanation of the genre!

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #913 on: 11 February 2018, 14:17:26 »
That public service announcement was great. I especially loved the "DON'T ****** YOUR SISTER" emphasis, because yeah, Harem protagonists are that dumb  :P
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #914 on: 11 February 2018, 14:27:30 »
I don't know, I thought the funniest part was the number of clips that were taken from non-harem shows.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #915 on: 11 February 2018, 14:29:36 »
I think where i got serious laughing was when they showed the "You can spot a princess right away" a image of showed Frieza as one of the princesses.  ;D

Showed the video to a friend and when the princess bit came up, he said, "and you can always spot them by the sound they make," and he then imitated the same laugh 30 seconds before the video made the joke.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #916 on: 11 February 2018, 15:15:28 »
Showed the video to a friend and when the princess bit came up, he said, "and you can always spot them by the sound they make," and he then imitated the same laugh 30 seconds before the video made the joke.
I was hoping/expecting a Naga the Serpent bit, but was left disappointed. 
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #917 on: 11 February 2018, 22:10:23 »
That public service announcement was great. I especially loved the "DON'T ****** YOUR SISTER" emphasis, because yeah, Harem protagonists are that dumb  :P

No no, the SISTERS are that dumb since they are the ones falling for the brother in the first place :P

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #918 on: 12 February 2018, 12:04:06 »
No no, the SISTERS are that dumb since they are the ones falling for the brother in the first place :P
And they will get double dumb children.  ;)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #919 on: 12 February 2018, 13:39:06 »
Cancelled 1980s American Gundam Movie.
Interesting thing is it was to be made with technology used to make the Last Star Fighter with Syd Mead's drawing the story / plot boards.  It was suppose to be total CGI project.
It would have been interesting to have seen it be made, but i won't trust writers to stick with the original story to closely though.

Apparently details are very hard to come by.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #920 on: 12 February 2018, 16:28:27 »
being laid out gives one time to rumage through ones stuff when one is bored
so i found this little gem in my collection mind you on vhs...level e
short one shot stories with a bit of tongue in cheek humor even after not seeing this for awhile i forgot i even had it i found myself chuckling after watching it
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #921 on: 13 February 2018, 00:05:23 »
so i found this little gem in my collection mind you on vhs...level e
Also available on Crunchy. Seen it too.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #922 on: 13 February 2018, 23:37:25 »
I started watching A Place Further Than the Universe and I am enjoying it a lot. This scene in Ep 4 made me laugh so hard I was in tears: the girl forged her Mom's signature on a release from school for a foreign trip (not really a spoiler unless you are REALLY picky) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6zsNySn7uU
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #923 on: 14 February 2018, 00:01:31 »
I knew there was a reason I added that show to my que at the beginning of the season lol that was great!

kato

• Captain
« Reply #924 on: 15 February 2018, 14:29:32 »
He does that, huh?
And i'm impressed that they actually managed to put it in episode 6 in a roundabout way now, even if its in a different place than in other adaptions. Covered in all of four seconds. And with more than just implying it while not becoming explicit.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #925 on: 15 February 2018, 14:34:38 »
Watched Summer Wars last night, good family values!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #926 on: 15 February 2018, 14:48:17 »
Watched Summer Wars last night, good family values!

TT
That was years ago lol. had the dvd.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #927 on: 15 February 2018, 15:49:39 »
I'm finally finishing the third season of Food Wars. Had to binge watch the first two seasons as I completely forgot I never had the change to finish watching season two. Still as funny as I remember #P

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #928 on: 17 February 2018, 02:03:45 »
I don't remember if I asked this before or not, but how come in most anime, combat mecha pretty much universally rely on external weaponry as if they're oversized infantry and rarely if ever have weapon systems that are hard-mounted to the mecha's body the way Battletech does things?

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #929 on: 17 February 2018, 02:08:12 »
I don't remember if I asked this before or not, but how come in most anime, combat mecha pretty much universally rely on external weaponry as if they're oversized infantry and rarely if ever have weapon systems that are hard-mounted to the mecha's body the way Battletech does things?
I would say mainly Rule of Cool.
Oh, and GUNDAM Heavy Arms would like to have a word with you...

Register