Author Topic: TRO Succession Wars and Harmony Gold  (Read 230178 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Re: TRO Succession Wars and Harmony Gold
« Reply #1440 on: 27 February 2018, 22:29:59 »
As someone who runs a business, reading this cost breakdown is a horror show. I feel for Palladium and hope they find success elsewhere.
It's also mildly terrifying showing just how tight the funding is for Palladium and how close to the edge they are.  Lack of willing investors and not even being able to afford shipping of the merchandise...that's a really bad situation to be in.
The tactics game uses the 'mecha that it doesn't really have a license to make new art with at all -- something hammered home in the Tatsunoko arbitration from last year.
Like I wondered elsewhere, did HG not offer the license for renewal to Palladium (and if not why), or did Palladium not have the dollarydoos to pony up for renewing the license (considering their lack of funding discussed at length in the kickstarter notes) for why the split happened?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #1441 on: 27 February 2018, 22:35:58 »
Where the hell did you find this?!

They posted in a Kickstarter update earlier today.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #1442 on: 27 February 2018, 22:43:31 »
While I tend to agree that the most likely case is HG not wanting to keep the Palladium license going, there could also be writing on the wall HG is gonna lose their trolling and cutting their losses a bit early.
There's one other link from the RRT Kickstarter I'd like to include. It's a rather frank breakdown of what the hell happened to RRT, including financials. Granted RRT is a collateral of everything going on, but its a interesting read.

Full disclosure: I am biased on the Kickstarter, as I was a backer, and have been loosely following the process for close to six years.

That said, that disclosure rather frankly says the the second round of product was too expensive to ever produce, and it makes it sound like it was clear that it was the case for some time. This comes on the heals of four years of continuous claims that they were absolutely coming, despite the delays. A trend which only ended with today's updates.

I am very glad to see the end of the whole debacle.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1443 on: 27 February 2018, 22:52:24 »
As someone who runs a business, reading this cost breakdown is a horror show. I feel for Palladium and hope they find success elsewhere.

I have little to no sympathy for Palladium, or Kevin Siembieda.
The company has screwed its employees, freelancers more time then should be allowed.
Kevin complained about employees/freelancers stealing product, when it turned out he hadn't and was not planing to pay then for over a years work.
They have gone bankrupt, and gotten out of it by sell prints and cell for thousands of dollars to their diluted fans.
My one hope is that they go down in flames and this time their fan snap out of their hero worship long enough to let them.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 23:02:26 by victor_shaw »

Recklessfireball1

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1444 on: 27 February 2018, 22:57:42 »
The company has screwed its employees, freelancers on a more time then should be allowed.
Kevin complained about employees/freelancers stealing product, when it turned out he hadn't and was not planing to pay then for over a years work.
They have gone bankrupt, and gotten out of it by sell prints and cell for thousands of dollars to their diluted fans.
My one hope is that they go down in flames and this time their fan snap out of their hero worship long enough to let them.
+1 to this.  It's happened twice before and he appealed to the fans to bail him out of his debt by buying regurgitated product (which actually worked, sad to say).  It's odd how the guy is able to retain a loyal customer base after so many debacles of this kind.   :-\

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1445 on: 27 February 2018, 23:00:37 »
Or, it could be just as advertised -- the license expired and HG declined to renew.
according to the PB writer i was collaborating with on a robotech RPG book, this was basically it.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 23:04:57 by glitterboy2098 »

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #1446 on: 27 February 2018, 23:03:38 »
*sits & eats popcorn* I suppose this means the end of Palladium? It's not like the heap of former game companies is small. *shrug*

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1447 on: 27 February 2018, 23:12:38 »
*sits & eats popcorn* I suppose this means the end of Palladium? It's not like the heap of former game companies is small. *shrug*

I doubt it sad to say.
He always seems to hatch one scheme or another that saves Palladium for one more debacle.
He will probably sell his used socks to the fans for hundreds of dollars and keep going.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #1448 on: 27 February 2018, 23:18:34 »
To get back to topic...anyone know what the latest paperwork in the suit says?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #1449 on: 27 February 2018, 23:22:46 »
The company has screwed its employees, freelancers more time then should be allowed.
+3 to this, too. Kevin isn't the WORST person that's ever been in the game industry, even today - Ken Whitman is an out-and-out THIEF - but he's living proof that the good die young.

On top of everything else, Palladium is a bad system. It's the worst of the 1980s undiluted by any hint of good game design.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1450 on: 27 February 2018, 23:40:19 »
actually he never claimed the freelancers were stealing product. he discovered that the company's financial officer had been embezzling funds (and taking product to sell privately).. and had been doing so for 20 years.

said financial officer was probably why some writers didn't get paid. dude probably pocketed the paychecks while claiming he sent them out.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1451 on: 28 February 2018, 00:01:53 »
We're on page 49 so I'm going to go ahead and lock the topic.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.