Author Topic: TRO Succession Wars and Harmony Gold  (Read 231200 times)

MarauderD

• Major
Re: TRO Succession Wars and Harmony Gold
« Reply #1170 on: 02 January 2018, 12:00:22 »
I too am itchy to hear news on the case. I'm bummed no one on these boards had access to Pacer Monitor to check out what has been posted. Hopefully we find out something this week.

Cheers,

Mad

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #1171 on: 03 January 2018, 00:43:08 »
I would rather a judge take his time and consider the facts then just try to get something over with.

Getting stuff overwith was what got thenIP in the unseen mess in the first place
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1172 on: 09 January 2018, 14:35:46 »
Any updates?
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1173 on: 09 January 2018, 14:58:54 »
Not yet. We're waiting on the judge to make his decision on whether to throw the case out or to let it progress.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1174 on: 09 January 2018, 15:21:36 »
Thanks Colonel!
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1175 on: 09 January 2018, 15:45:24 »
Yep, still waiting on the judge. Now that the holidays are over hopefully we will know something before the end of next week.

mrbooth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1176 on: 10 January 2018, 11:32:14 »
Yep, still waiting on the judge. Now that the holidays are over hopefully we will know something before the end of next week.

Do not hold your breath on that I once had a case go through a full trial and it took three months for the Judge to hand down his ruling and that was a fairly simple case.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1177 on: 10 January 2018, 15:32:48 »
In this case it's only a ruling on a single motion, though that motion could be a stake through the heart of HG's case. 
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1178 on: 10 January 2018, 18:46:38 »
Better to shove a steak thru their heart. More painful that way :P

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1179 on: 10 January 2018, 19:12:22 »
Why waste a perfectly good steak?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #1180 on: 10 January 2018, 19:24:41 »
In this case it's only a ruling on a single motion, though that motion could be a stake through the heart of HG's case.

But even then, I'd prefer that the judge deliberate over it rather than just push through a ruling. I don't just want CGL/HBS/PGI to win, I want them to win authoritatively, decisively and finally. I want whatever the legal equivalent of debellatio is to be visited on Harmony Gold. I want them knocked down so hard they'll never bother us again. HG has a lawyer who is apparently good at appeals, and you can bet your bottom C-Bill she's going to go over any ruling that Judge Zilly makes with a fine-tooth comb just looking for that one thread to go running to the 9th Circuit on. So I want his ruling, if it's in CGL/HBS/PGI's favor, to be air-tight and with no room for Ms. Stebbins to have them all back in a higher court a year from now.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1181 on: 11 January 2018, 01:13:37 »
I want whatever the legal equivalent of debellatio is to be visited on Harmony Gold. I want them knocked down so hard they'll never bother us again.
The magic phrase you're looking for is 'dismissed with prejudice' where the latter means that, no matter what, it cannot be appealed or re-filed in different ways to achieve the same thing.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1182 on: 11 January 2018, 02:41:07 »
No, it could still be appealed. But if the appeal is dismissed, that's likely that. The US has three levels of Federal courts for this sort of matter. Right now they're in the lowest level, the district court. If this case's eventual disposition is appealed, it goes to the appellate court, who would determine if the law was correctly applied. Judge Zilly is very well-regarded in his understanding of US law and is unlikely to make any errors, so any appeal seems futile. But, if someone wanted to keep fighting, the case could be elevated to the Supreme Court...who won't bother with it. As I said before, outside of the gaming and anime markets, the case is neither particularly notable nor important.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #1183 on: 11 January 2018, 21:48:27 »
I thought you could only appeal a ruling, not a dismissal?

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #1184 on: 11 January 2018, 23:13:02 »
No, it could still be appealed. But if the appeal is dismissed, that's likely that. The US has three levels of Federal courts for this sort of matter. Right now they're in the lowest level, the district court. If this case's eventual disposition is appealed, it goes to the appellate court, who would determine if the law was correctly applied. Judge Zilly is very well-regarded in his understanding of US law and is unlikely to make any errors, so any appeal seems futile. But, if someone wanted to keep fighting, the case could be elevated to the Supreme Court...who won't bother with it. As I said before, outside of the gaming and anime markets, the case is neither particularly notable nor important.
Unless you take into consideration that one of the plaintiffs is a Real Estate Mongol, who's ownership is already (previously) someone infamous for shading dealings in real estate...?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1185 on: 11 January 2018, 23:17:25 »
I thought you could only appeal a ruling, not a dismissal?

As I understand it you can appeal a dismissal if there is a error in how that dismissal was obtained.

Hence why we want the judge to take his time and do everything correctly.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1186 on: 12 January 2018, 02:42:34 »
Unless you take into consideration that one of the plaintiffs is a Real Estate Mongol, who's ownership is already (previously) someone infamous for shading dealings in real estate...?

"Mogul." ;) And no, this case itself falls outside of the purview of the Supreme Court, unless one side wants to argue that the law itself is incorrect in some fashion. Anyone can apply to have a Federal or state civil or criminal case heard by the Supreme Court, but they only issue a "cert" if there really is a serious question about the interpretation or Constitutionality of a law, there has been a major departure from standard lower court proceedings, or when a lower court has issued a ruling that contradicts a previous Supreme Court decision.

Look, this won't go to the Supreme Court, period. It's doubtful it'll even get elevated to the Appellate Court. So let's stop playing that form of the "what if" game.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #1187 on: 12 January 2018, 14:00:04 »
I kinda like 'real estate mongol'. I had this mental image of Ghengis Khan showing a house to a prospective buyer, "...And look at these sturdy all-brick walls! Why, they look strong enough to keep even ME out!...just kidding, those walls wouldn't even slow me down."

Anyway, Bosch is correct, the chances this case goes to the supreme court are statistically indistinguishable from zero. I mean, the judge could take a poo in a paper bag and say that is his judgement, and it STILL wouldn't be enough of a problem to go past the appellate court level. This case is not special at all, legally speaking.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1188 on: 12 January 2018, 14:41:50 »
I kinda like 'real estate mongol'. I had this mental image of Ghengis Khan showing a house to a prospective buyer, "...And look at these sturdy all-brick walls! Why, they look strong enough to keep even ME out!...just kidding, those walls wouldn't even slow me down."

Ghengis Khan: Real-Estate Mongol.  He's a Diamond Shark, isn't he?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1189 on: 12 January 2018, 15:20:06 »
And his partner, Cohen the Barbarian. Wholesale destruction.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1190 on: 12 January 2018, 15:53:03 »
Sounds like a plot from a lost Terry Pratchett novel: the Real-Estate Mongol and Barbarian Liquidator go on a quest to find the Nine Supreme Wizards...

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1191 on: 12 January 2018, 20:18:52 »
Sounds like a plot from a lost Terry Pratchett novel: the Real-Estate Mongol and Barbarian Liquidator go on a quest to find the Nine Supreme Wizards...

Nine??? I thought eight...

"Ooook..."

Oh right. Sorry old chap, carry on.

"Ook."

"Whoops! Carry me up the Danube. I have a jelly donut!"

Shut up Bursar.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1192 on: 12 January 2018, 20:20:53 »
And somewhere Rincewind is totally oblivious
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #1193 on: 14 January 2018, 21:12:05 »
SIGH

:)
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1194 on: 14 January 2018, 21:17:29 »
I'm confused what going on now... ???
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1195 on: 14 January 2018, 21:39:46 »
I'm confused what going on now... ???

Just a recitation of Discworld memes until the judge gets back with more material to comment on.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1196 on: 14 January 2018, 21:59:12 »

Nine??? I thought eight...

"Ooook..."

Oh right. Sorry old chap, carry on.

"Ook."

"Whoops! Carry me up the Danube. I have a jelly donut!"

Shut up Bursar.

nine minus one, technically.  ;)

SpudBot

• Corporal
« Reply #1197 on: 15 January 2018, 07:20:13 »

Not to be pedantic, but the Mughal Empire (from which we get the word mogul) was a thing - a wealthy dynasty of monarchs in India, but descended from Mongols/Tamerlane.

Koshirou

• Private
« Reply #1198 on: 15 January 2018, 10:01:44 »
Not to be pedantic, but the Mughal Empire (from which we get the word mogul) was a thing - a wealthy dynasty of monarchs in India, but descended from Mongols/Tamerlane.
Indeed, the term "Mogul/Mughal" does simply mean "Mongol". So actually.
I own an UrbanMech for base defense since that's what the House Masters intended!

Four Davie scouts break into the perimeter! "What the devil!" as I grab my Neurohelmet and AC/10. Blow a hovercar-sized hole into the first 'Mech; he explodes on the spot.
Ready my small laser against the second 'Mech - misses him entirely since its effective range is 90 meters and nails the neighbour's Raxx.
I have to resort to the Long Tom mounted on the top of the base, loaded with cluster ammo. "Tally-ho, Rats!" The clusters shred two 'Mechs in the blast. The sound and extra shrapnel set off DropShip klaxons.
Fire up jump jets and DFA the last terrified FedRat. He burns out on the pavement waiting for the salvage techs to arrive since Inferno rounds cooking off are impossible to extinguish!

Ah... just like the House Masters intended!

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #1199 on: 15 January 2018, 11:24:56 »
This is a thread about lawyers and court cases...being pedantic is explicitly allowed  ;D