Author Topic: Naval Pictures Forecastle: Laying siege to the poop deck!  (Read 252371 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Naval Pictures Forecastle: Laying siege to the poop deck!
« Reply #1200 on: 14 January 2018, 17:44:10 »
That's what happens when you don't fully pay attention.  Gaud.  #P
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1201 on: 14 January 2018, 17:46:41 »
That's one hell of a Q-Ship...

;D

Ruger

Talk about a arsenal ship.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1202 on: 14 January 2018, 17:50:37 »
Talk about a arsenal ship.
Isn't that vulnerable to low-flying cruise missiles or anti-ship missiles?  I thought that was one of the reason they never made one.  There been couple concepts.

This one was Popular Mechanic's interpretation.

I like this version better, but again it was vulnerable to being struck way it was setup.  I see those ships aside from the SSGNs as expensive launchers waiting to be sunk.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1203 on: 14 January 2018, 18:21:49 »
*reads* Wait what? "to accommodate amphibious assault teams, SEAL units, or even X-wing fighters."
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1204 on: 14 January 2018, 18:37:45 »
Isn't that vulnerable to low-flying cruise missiles or anti-ship missiles?  I thought that was one of the reason they never made one.  There been couple concepts.

This one was Popular Mechanic's interpretation.

I loved that article when I read it when it first came out...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1205 on: 14 January 2018, 19:40:50 »
Thats a lot of eggs in one basket... be a pity if I were to shoot a few torpedoes at it...

Plus its not just the missile tubes which are important, its also the fire control systems.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1206 on: 14 January 2018, 19:46:31 »
Thats a lot of eggs in one basket... be a pity if I were to shoot a few torpedoes at it...

Plus its not just the missile tubes which are important, its also the fire control systems.
Almost all of it is missiles. On a Frigate sized hull it seems. How much does having such low hull profile have an effect on radar detection. I mean hell even eyeballs would have a harder time spotting it without any normal superstructure of the kind at the long distance like other ships.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1207 on: 14 January 2018, 19:57:44 »
Almost all of it is missiles. On a Frigate sized hull it seems. How much does having such low hull profile have an effect on radar detection. I mean hell even eyeballs would have a harder time spotting it without any normal superstructure of the kind at the long distance like other ships.
The question I'd ask is how is it finding targets for its missiles.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #1208 on: 14 January 2018, 20:19:43 »
I like this version better, but again it was vulnerable to being struck way it was setup.  I see those ships aside from the SSGNs as expensive launchers waiting to be sunk.

I like that version too. Having worked inside the procurement system, the civilian freighter with AEGIS, VLS and painted grey would be what we would get because it satisfactorily achieves most of the Statement Of Requirements . . .

"A camel is a stallion designed by committee."
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1209 on: 14 January 2018, 21:15:12 »
The question I'd ask is how is it finding targets for its missiles.
My understanding having read years ago what the (later concept) Arsenal ships were (unlike the PM articled envisioned by Metcalf) was suppose work.  Essentially they launched while having a nearby  Aegis equipped vessel guiding the missiles after they were launched.  Essentially it was just the launcher ship while another was the guidance ship (if they weren't per-programed like the Tomahawk missiles were during the 1990-1991 Persian Gulf War).

It must work since the Ohio Class is essentially setup the same way. It fires it's load and that's that.  Thinking about it, i'm surprised that Ohio Class SSGN has the word "G" in it since last time i checked, it meant the ship itself had radar/fire control controling the missiles verse just launching missiles.  I guess they didn't want invent a new designation like SSMN or SSAN (Missile or Arsenal).

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1210 on: 14 January 2018, 21:49:05 »
to be honest, when they decided to use the SM-3's for anti-ballistic missile defense, i kept expecting an arsenal ship type design to be announced as a mobile defensive system.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1211 on: 14 January 2018, 23:30:17 »
The shipyard building the new LPD wants to make variant that's a ballistic missile defense ship. I don't think that going work out for them...it's LPD-17 with missiles and now-defunct railgun system.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #1212 on: 15 January 2018, 00:36:24 »
*reads* Wait what? "to accommodate amphibious assault teams, SEAL units, or even X-wing fighters."

Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1213 on: 15 January 2018, 00:43:37 »
My understanding having read years ago what the (later concept) Arsenal ships were (unlike the PM articled envisioned by Metcalf) was suppose work.  Essentially they launched while having a nearby  Aegis equipped vessel guiding the missiles after they were launched.  Essentially it was just the launcher ship while another was the guidance ship (if they weren't per-programed like the Tomahawk missiles were during the 1990-1991 Persian Gulf War).

It must work since the Ohio Class is essentially setup the same way. It fires it's load and that's that.  Thinking about it, i'm surprised that Ohio Class SSGN has the word "G" in it since last time i checked, it meant the ship itself had radar/fire control controling the missiles verse just launching missiles.  I guess they didn't want invent a new designation like SSMN or SSAN (Missile or Arsenal).
The Ohio SSGN's Tomahawks are GPS-guided, and GPS guidance is still guidance. The G remains valid.

An idea ahead of its time - they've only just started putting Aegis Co-operative Engagement Capability (CEC) into use. But borrowing another ship's radars as detection, guidance and fire control simply makes that other ship the focus for enemy fire.

End of the day, superstructure is not just there for kicks and giggles. Its to put the radar up where it is useful.. and you need that radar.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1214 on: 15 January 2018, 02:29:37 »
The OMFG quartet are very much useful and i'd not be surprised if we saw more Ohio's get converted into it as its far more useful.  Plus, a full barrage from one of the Ohio SSGN's could probably cripple a country's infrastructure.  A full salvo from one could probably cripple North Korea's bridge network and airfields.  Of course the problem is that they have so many Tomahawks, that replenning them isn't easy or cheap.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1215 on: 15 January 2018, 03:57:14 »

Massive reduction, just from a couple of metres, there's a reason why RCS is measured in square metres. :-)

Nope, the G in the nomenclature actually refers to the ship carrying independently guided missiles. The type of guidance you are referring to is semi-guided, which I'm going to assume everyone on this board is familiar with. :-)

Incidentally, this is why the Spruance class were initially DD's, and the Anzac Class were FFH's, neither of them had autonomously guided missiles.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1216 on: 15 January 2018, 04:06:38 »
Fully agree with you there but that is not always how the bean-counters in Treasury and/or the political advisers at PM&C see it. So sometimes you have to get a bit "creative" when you first develop the business case that goes up to avoid wonderful projects such as  Super Sea Sprite from being repeated. Therefore by calling the project Air Warfare Destroyer, we got an Aegis Frigate Destroyer.

Could you image if we had just called it Medium Sized AAW Combatant Project? We probably would have gotten an civilian freighter with an Aegis pyramid and a freight area full of VLS:

Lol, just my luck, I meant to respond to this post, then forgot about it. >.<

The beauty with having merchant ships is pretty well all of them are considered "large" by military standard, easy to achieve when the line is drawn somewhere between 8000 and 12000 tons, depending on what standard you are following. I concur with Ruger there, that's a Q-Ship, it's an awesome trick, but you'd really want your balls nailed to the wall before you tried it, since a superior opponent is simply going to sink all merchants they can find once it's unveiled and you'd cop all the blame. :-P

But yeah, the Navy sadly get's little to no say in what design is chosen, what they are called, or even how they are fitted out. Let's just say that the statement of requirements for the AWD project required each ship to have X number of VLS cells, and maybe the chosen design has Y. I can't really say more than that sorry. :-(

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1217 on: 15 January 2018, 04:58:19 »

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #1218 on: 15 January 2018, 06:27:38 »
That picture of Aoba makes me think of dodgy second hand car salesmen - bit of work needed, one careful owner (all of the damage was done by the USN), low mileage (we ran out of fuel ages ago) etc
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1219 on: 15 January 2018, 07:01:11 »
I'm not so hot on the older battleships from dreadnought era.  Can anyone identify this shio?  The name is bit blurr by way it's placed on the stern.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1220 on: 15 January 2018, 07:03:25 »
Its the Italians 1st Dreadnought the Dante Alighieri she served as the baseline design inspiration for the Russians dreadnoughts, IE 4 x triple turrets, very little superstructure, casemated secondary guns, although the Dante also had some of her secondary guns in turrets, which was unique until post war.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1221 on: 15 January 2018, 07:09:26 »
Leave it to the Italians to put a porch outside the stern and make the name of the ship nearly unreadable.  #P
Lordy, i would HATED being on that porch if the seas got rough.  I know it's med, but still....someone could be washed out sea in no time and no one would have known.  I not aware if sound-powered phones were in use by this time design.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1222 on: 15 January 2018, 07:47:39 »
Actually a lot of Dreadnoughts had those Stern galleys, they were also quite common on pre-dreadnoughts.  :)

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1223 on: 15 January 2018, 09:33:55 »
Actually a lot of Dreadnoughts had those Stern galleys, they were also quite common on pre-dreadnoughts.  :)
example of a tradition that's centuries old... (holdover from the Age of Sailing when Ships of Line had ornate stern gallery)

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #1224 on: 15 January 2018, 09:46:05 »

example of a tradition that's centuries old... (holdover from the Age of Sailing when Ships of Line had ornate stern gallery)

I'd guess they went away when it was realised the stern galley was just going to act as a shot-trap for high explosive shells and also that being downwind of all of that coal smoke wasn't actually all that glamorous
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1225 on: 15 January 2018, 09:58:48 »
Not even that really, basically it died when the Battleship finally did.  The US never put stern galley's on their ships and the WW2 German vessels were far too modern to have them so they remained a hangover for older vessels.

As you can see on this picture of HMS Warspite, even with her full refit, she retained her stern galley.  It was basically a walk area for the Admiral to go on, but wasn't anything like the old ships of the line, more a bulkhead door onto a small walking area.

the more modern British ships didn't have them, nor did the last of the Battleships, the Vanguard.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1226 on: 15 January 2018, 10:01:51 »
Thus passed another illustrious age of sail tradition.

Now what about rum, sodomy and the lash? ::)

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1227 on: 15 January 2018, 10:20:55 »

Now what about rum, sodomy and the lash? ::)
Wasn't the RN forced to retire the rum ration in 1980s or such?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #1228 on: 15 January 2018, 10:31:04 »
There actually was talk of adding something like this to the two Nevada-class ships shortly after their completion- the 5-inch gun in the stern 'stinger' position was useless in all but the calmest seas, and was removed- so what to do with its casemate mounting? A few ideas were thought of, but the admiral's walkway was rejected due to the flag quarters not being anywhere near the stern on Nevada, and hardly existant at all on Oklahoma. Other ideas ended up rejected as well, and the casemate was eventually just plated in and the space used for supplies. The two ships retained the notch in their stern for the rest of their careers though, and makes for an easy way to identify them compared to the Pennsylvania-class (which never had these guns installed).
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1229 on: 15 January 2018, 12:43:13 »
Well, that part on the stern starboard side does look kinda suspicious...

especially when you consider what's the closest cutout on the ship in this one:

Register